Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by johninc
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

What size drill bits do you use to drill holes in CPR playfields prior to driving in screws?

I'm sure there must be 2 or 3 sizes that take care of most all holes.

#2 9 years ago

For the majority I use 3/32"...top and underside. For the ball guides I use 5/64...with a little "reaming"

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

For the majority I use 3/32"...top and underside. For the ball guides I use 5/64...with a little "reaming"

Ok 5/64 for ball wire guides, 3/32 for #6 wood screws, and 7/64 for #8 wood screws?

Also, a drill press should work good for nice straight holes and controlling depth, but can't get to the center on the playfield (10 inches from edge on mine). How do you keep it straight from the top where the drill press won't fit? I imagine the underside in not as critical on straightness as long as depth in controlled.

Thanks

#4 9 years ago

I free hand everything...No Drill press.... eyeball for straight is good enough and if there is already a pilot hole, the bit will follow it anyway. One drill set up with the bit and another with Phillips or 1/4" socket for driving. If there is no pilot hole already I would use a center punch. Not so critical for depth when drilling the top side, but need to be careful when drilling the bottom side so that you don't come through to the top. Some people use drill stops that attach to the bits, but they can scratch the playfield and God forbid they slip up the bit and you don't notice it. I just put a piece of tape on the bit and you don't need to drill that far. I'd guess that with the playfield being just over 1/2" thick, that I probably only drill about 3/8" at the most.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

I free hand everything...No Drill press.... eyeball for straight is good enough and if there is already a pilot hole, the bit will follow it anyway. One drill set up with the bit and another with Phillips or 1/4" socket for driving. If there is no pilot hole already I would use a center punch. Not so critical for depth when drilling the top side, but need to be careful when drilling the bottom side so that you don't come through to the top. Some people use drill stops that attach to the bits, but they can scratch the playfield and God forbid they slip up the bit and you don't notice it. I just put a piece of tape on the bit and you don't need to drill that far. I'd guess that with the playfield being just over 1/2" thick, that I probably only drill about 3/8" at the most.

Good info! Thanks.

6 months later
    #6 9 years ago

I'm wondering what the best procedure is for installing the ball wire guides?
    I feel like the pre-drilled holes are 5/64" and the wires are 3/32" -- I realize we want a snug fit -- but I'm wondering the best way to get them driven in?
    I don't want to put a single nick or scratch in my CPR PF.
    I almost wish the ends of the wires were tapered.
    -mof

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I'm wondering what the best procedure is for installing the ball wire guides?
    I feel like the pre-drilled holes are 5/64" and the wires are 3/32" -- I realize we want a snug fit -- but I'm wondering the best way to get them driven in?
    I don't want to put a single nick or scratch in my CPR PF.
    I almost wish the ends of the wires were tapered.
    -mof

I believe I went 1/8 to a depth of less than a 1/16" so the wire didn't spread the top layer and crack the clear coat. I then drove it in from there so it is snug. Ymmv. Be careful not to go through the backside like me. It will splinter the wood. Grrr

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

I believe I went 1/8 to a depth of less than a 1/16" so the wire didn't spread the top layer and crack the clear coat. I then drove it in from there so it is snug. Ymmv. Be careful not to go through the backside like me. It will splinter the wood. Grrr

I like that idea of opening the hole to the width of the wire 3/32" with a 3/32 bit, to just below the clear, so at least the clear isn't impacted by the hammering... Nice tip!
    -mof

#9 9 years ago

Spade bit? Where's a good place to buy these sizes?

#10 9 years ago

Got a routine working for me. 5/64" bit to clear out the hole a hair, then a few turns with a tapered reamer to widen the opening 1/64" to 3/32" is the hole setup. After hand polishing the wire on the bench buffer, I'm dremeling the end of each wire at a 45' just a tad (think of a nail) to make this a lot smoother.

Happy Camper!
    -mof

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from highspeed:

Ok 5/64 for ball wire guides, 3/32 for #6 wood screws, and 7/64 for #8 wood screws?
    Also, a drill press should work good for nice straight holes and controlling depth, but can't get to the center on the playfield (10 inches from edge on mine). How do you keep it straight from the top where the drill press won't fit? I imagine the underside in not as critical on straightness as long as depth in controlled.
    Thanks

If you are anxious on strictly controlling the vertical accuracy and depth it should be possible to use a portable handymans' bench drill attachment clamped to the playfield with the drill press section swung around to your pf hole.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

Spade bit? Where's a good place to buy these sizes?

Oops, I meant brad tip bit. Looks like leevalley.com is a good source.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drill-bit-sized-for-pilot-holes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.