(Topic ID: 124110)

Drifters and homosexuals hang out in pinball parlors.

By pinballslave

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

The-Shining-7.gif
image-885.jpg
image.jpg
image-522.jpg
image.jpg
gay.jpg
1996team_lrg.jpg
download.jpg
tumblr_m71arfk7ci1qjwcc4o1_500.gif
dwight-in-office.jpg
allansparrow_jpeg_size_xxlarge_letterbox Allen Sparrow.jpg
image.jpg
ad-old-have-a-fag.jpg
Bad BO.jpg
MrFiveheadSezPinballPunksOnDope.jpg
image.jpg
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

Interesting article posted on UK Pinball from a 1978 issue of 'The Toronto Star'... pinball had a bad reputation in those days, which were probably the best days

Hope the attachment comes out legible!

Anyone recognise the pinball in the foreground by the way???

News article 1978.jpgNews article 1978.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Just realised the article got compressed as it went into the Pinside 'data-banks', so here a link to a more legible version:

http://i.imgur.com/Ves8CMe.jpg

#3 9 years ago

40% of all youngsters prefer their pinball mixed with dope!

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

40% of all youngsters prefer their pinball mixed with dope!

Indeed, we all knew that of course

#5 9 years ago

The bumper arrangement looks Bally.

#6 9 years ago

Pinball is the new gateway drug....The scariest thing about this article is Alderman Sparrow. He looks like a total psychopath. I wonder what ever happened to Steve and his "John Travolta eyes" after the "cult of pinball" lured him in.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

The bumper arrangement looks Bally.

There seems to be some kind of floating chick on the bottom right of the backglass and another chick on the bottom left with expose thighs/stocking tops... or maybe that's just reflection of how I see obscure images...

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I wonder what ever happened to Steve and his "John Travolta eyes" after the "cult of pinball" lured him in.

He probably had to switch schools and quit listening to Styx to escape pinball.

#9 9 years ago

Damn right we do. Sadly, a secret plot has been hatched by the government in the guise of pinball companies to raise prices so much we can only Drift and get freaky in peoples homes; not in public.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I wonder what ever happened to Steve and his "John Travolta eyes" after the "cult of pinball" lured him in.

Maybe he's a member of Pinside... and I wonder if Gordy Leong, the 17 y/o who was a pinball addict on slow withdrawal, is a member of Pinside too...

#11 9 years ago

Stern Stingray

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

There seems to be some kind of floating chick on the bottom right of the backglass and another chick on the bottom left with expose thighs/stocking tops... or maybe that's just reflection of how I see obscure images...

Probably just a reflection of the transvestites watching Gordy play.

#13 9 years ago

My world is falling apart.

First George Michael, then Rickey Martin, then Barry Manilow, and now pinball.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from matthess:

Stern Stingray

You am good! So this is what I mistook for a hot chick with exposed thighs... I'm sure a shrink would have a lot to say about that!

Hot chick.jpgHot chick.jpg
#15 9 years ago

And yet progressivism is stronger than ever. Maybe one day we'll wise up. Cool article.

#16 9 years ago

<<<<<<Drifters and homosexuals hang out in pinball parlors.>>>>>>

A.jpgA.jpg

#17 9 years ago

Thats amazing! I kind of want to make that into a poster!

#18 9 years ago

Ive always wondered why those friendly mustached guys always let me cut in line....

#19 9 years ago

Best people you'll ever meet!

#20 9 years ago

I go to arcades and bars. A parlor sounds kinda weird.

#21 9 years ago

I find the lower caption about broken bones and burning hair interesting as well.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I find the lower caption about broken bones and burning hair interesting as well.

Yeah, maybe that's only up here in Canada. We're pretty f'n hardcore when it comes to pinball.

#23 9 years ago

If the article is referring to Toronto's downtown Yonge Street area, in the late 70's. Then that makes some sense.

#24 9 years ago

Amazing article. Thanks for sharing. Not sure which is better: pinball arcade or "body-rub parlor," but heck, back then you could have them both!

"40 percent of youngsters prefer their pinball mixed with dope" wooo wooo

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

If the article is referring to Toronto's downtown Young Street area, in the late 70's. Then that makes some sense.

And, when you were hungry, you walked either next door to the South or a block to the North or right across the street to the plethora of Mr. Submarine shops by the arcades and record shops.

#26 9 years ago

A follow up article about Toronto's pinball rules. This article is mentioned.

http://torontoist.com/2012/12/prudish-about-pinball/

#27 9 years ago

I live in Toronto. I think certain parts of the city are definitely ripe for a Barcade but these old laws are still on the books. Someone would have to go fight the fight, and for pinball it's probably just not worth it unfortunately.

#28 9 years ago

I sure do

#29 9 years ago

Pedifiles hang out in arcades too. Growing up I remember a moe that used to stand near the young boys and watch them play.

#30 9 years ago

Would you look at the size of that one guy's forehead in the pic further down.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Pedifiles hang out in arcades too. Growing up I remember a moe that used to stand near the young boys and watch them play.

Yeah, when I was a teen, we used to make the <edited> pay for our games and food.

If you acted like you were retarded, they would sometimes even give you cash.

#32 9 years ago

Vid sounds like quite the operator.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Vid sounds like quite the operator.

You misspelled <exited>

#34 9 years ago

"Playing Pinball during school hours"?? That didn't happen, "only in Canada, pity".

#35 9 years ago

Thanks for the article, I would argue that pinball has nothing to do with my sleazy life.

#36 9 years ago

The sleaziness of pinball has ,for the record, done nothing for my street cred.

#37 9 years ago

Who knew? I grew up in Toronto and played my first machine there, back in the day. The CNE (Canadian National Exhibition, aka "The Ex") had the best EMs for a nickel a play. I could tell you what I was doing in April of 1978 and it was not playing pinball. It is a good thing that I moved to this here 'Merica to escape the sleazy life of TO. Here I am, espousing the kinder gentler life of Canada. Evidently, so wrong.

#38 9 years ago

The CNE was always a blast. As a kid in the mid 70's we were dropped off there in the morning then were picked up at 9 PM.

Technically, now that I think about it, that was child endangerment.

#39 9 years ago

#40 9 years ago

If you say so. There were all walks of life in the arcades and such back in "the day". That article was amusing and some people really have a bad vibe about pinball. I remember friends back in 78 whose parents did not allow it. My folks didn't like it, but never told me not to. It was a social thing both good and bad...........

#41 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

There's a sale at Penny's!

#42 9 years ago

That guy has a massive head!!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

That guy has a massive head!!

Or does he just have a tiny face?

#44 9 years ago

40% of the 90% who do, admitted they like their pinball mixed with dope.

#45 9 years ago

We had a place called Playland inTimes Square.This was post Roger Sharpes landmark case,legalizing pinball in NYC.Drugs for sale right outside for blocks in either direction.Hookers ,junkies ,ALL THAT!!!!

The kicker:You could literally buy a fake I.D. IN THE ARCADE!!!get your pic taken play some pinball pick up fake I.D. on your way out.Down and Dirty

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Interesting article posted on UK Pinball from a 1978 issue of 'The Toronto Star'... pinball had a bad reputation in those days, which were probably the best days
Hope the attachment comes out legible!
Anyone recognise the pinball in the foreground by the way???

News article 1978.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Too bad we can't get that "bad boy" reputation back, I think it would do wonders for the hobby.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

We had a place called Playland inTimes Square.This was post Roger Sharpes landmark case,legalizing pinball in NYC.Drugs for sale right outside for blocks in either direction.Hookers ,junkies ,ALL THAT!!!!
The kicker:You could literally buy a fake I.D. IN THE ARCADE!!!get your pic taken play some pinball pick up fake I.D. on your way out.Down and Dirty

When my parents went to NYC for their Honeymoon in 1949; they shot an 8MM movie in Times Square. Playland was there in 1949.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from DarthXaos:

Too bad we can't get that "bad boy" reputation back

I do all I can, but e pluribus unum pussys.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

A parlor sounds kinda weird.

"Parlour" is even worse....

#50 9 years ago

"...where pinball machines at two plays for 25 cents ring up hero scores that attract the girls."

Sad how time have changed... Both on price, and of attracting girls!

1978 was really a different time!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drifters-and-homosexuals-hang-out-in-pinball-parlors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.