pasted_image (resized).png
29720 (resized).jpeg
Blake stepper a (resized).jpg
Clay stepper a (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #17 Good explanation of when to use Drexel v file. Thanks Clay Posted by cfh (6 years ago)

Post #24 Part number and link to buy Posted by John_I (6 years ago)

Post #25 Part # and nice list of pros/cons Posted by NicoVolta (6 years ago)

Post #28 Why the blue arc? Posted by MarkG (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NicoVolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 6 years ago

We all know Clay hates the Dremel. He prefers to sand things, and sometimes, sanding is the way to go. Like when high-current switch contacts become heavily pitted. But other times not... like using sandpaper to “clean” a bakelite full of rivets. Sure, it works, but it roughens up the rivet heads and flattens them out. Which isn’t ideal over the long-term.

Using the alcohol swab/Dremel 443 polish/swab process is a gentle, time-consuming technique which provides the opportunity to:

Examine for loose/floating contacts (filing will not)

Does not introduce any grit or sandpaper dust

Does not change the strike angle of the contact via sanding/reshaping

Does work very well

Encourages full rebuilding of the relay versus “clean and go”

My technique is more oriented towards restorers and hobbyists, which are the vast majority of the EM world today. Clay’s perspective comes from that of an operator who needs to get old games running ASAP. Both methods work... it just depends upon which approach you need.

Personally, whenever I encounter a pitted switch contact (which is uncommon... most switches are smooth/convex even after years of wear) I use a Dremel flapwheel to sand them smooth and then polish with the 443.

However, the notion that using a Dremel to polish contacts is somehow “useless” and “makes things worse” and the “only” solution is to “grind away with a file” is... well... simply not true.

If switch pitting is a problem, doesn’t it make more sense to leave a smooth polished contact behind instead of a filed-down rough surface?

I could also argue that filing can change the switch gaps and deform the contact face, depending upon the technique used.

Ultimately, it’s all about the technique and the end result.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Mothers metal polish has typically worked great for me on the bakelite disk contacts on stepper units.

Ideal for Bally flat rivets especially!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

The bottom line, and a point that you guys seem to all be missing is this. For the last 40 to 80 years all these stepper units have done nothing but reshape themselves. All the stuff was designed for five year life cycle. Stepper rivets are not made of tungsten or hardened steel. They’re fairly soft. They’ve been reshaping themselves, all by themselves, throughout their history. So to think that you could just take a Dremel and clean them is just BS. It’s just not gonna work. These things need to be sanded. Otherwise you’re just propagating the problem that they’ve created all by themselves over the last zillion years
The dremel is a good tool for some things. But for a lot of things it’s just not the proper tool. And someone that thinks that the Dremel is a magic silver for every problem it’s just either inexperienced or in denial

Sanding rivets doesn't make sense unless they are in such horrible shape that they need the sharp worn edges smoothed off. Even then, it's a matter of sanding "to the round" rather than across the top. After which, I'll always follow with the 443 regardless for maximum smoothness.

Gottlieb rivets are truss head rivets. The rounded surface is supposed to facilitate smooth travel. The wipers are also rounded where they meet the rivet. The two rounded surfaces should thus glide up and down gracefully as the mechanism travels.

By sanding and roughening the surface, you are simultaneously increasing drag and creating an uneven glide path... which, in time, will lead to further degradation and wear across the rivets.

Now, if a rivet has a worn track within it, those must be sanded out or re-riveted. We don't want the wiper sticking in the groove. But this is uncommon to find.

I don't understand why polishing the rivets "isn't making the steppers work" for your volunteer crew. Perhaps the wipers and springs are not also being cleaned? Or the flexy-wire is creating tension?

Frankly, after hitting Gottlieb rivets with the 443 and adding a light swish of PBR grease, I have yet to see a single failure. I've taken the same game to at least two festivals at TPF and several tournaments in between and it still runs like a Swiss watch. One of hundreds I’ve rebuilt this way.

In general, I see sanding as a last resort. It is a destructive process which removes metal. Unless, as mentioned previously, it is to correct pitting or misshapen contacts/plunger wear... but this is more often the exception than the rule. Or, if there is simply no time to do anything else.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

The Tim Meighan method -- I use it too! Works great.

Tim Meighan has my full respect. His games play perfectly... he's also a meticulous rebuilder and it shows. Was great to meet him on the pinball tour.

Go to the next NWPAS if you can. He brings a lot of his personal EM's to the show and they play great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NicoVolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dremmel-for-contacts?tu=NicoVolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.