Pinball (resized).png
Screenshot_20180220-213516 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
29720 (resized).jpeg
Blake stepper a (resized).jpg
Clay stepper a (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Apples and oranges. Thread getting tired. Not the topic but seems there is a quen es mas macho thing going on. To each their own but respect to all

29720 (resized).jpeg29720 (resized).jpeg

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

Apples and oranges. Thread getting tired. Not the topic but seems there is a quen es mas macho thing going on. To each their own but respect to all

Use whatever works. If you like the dremel brush and the switch still isn't making proper contact, then use a file or something else. Inspect wiper rivets first, and then decide the course of action. Sometimes they're dirty and worn, sometimes they're just dirty and caked with old lube. They may just need some Brasso, Mothers', Scotch Brite, or if extra dirty, a little wire wheel brushing, or if they show pitting and wear, then some resurfacing with something abrasive. Use different approaches depending on each particular situation after evaluating the extent of the wear. No single tool or procedure fits all situations.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

... seems there is a quen es mas macho thing going on.

Just pinheads talking tools and methods. No big deal.

#54 6 years ago

All you guys rock. It's nice to have this much experience being shared, and it's nice to have these options. Thanks for taking the time to share it all!

#55 6 years ago

Laughed til I coughed the phlegm out. Thanks. Needed that.

#56 6 years ago

Notice in the picture of me "sanding" a stepper unit, there's a dremel in the background, in its re-charge stand.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Notice in the picture of me "sanding" a stepper unit, there's a dremel in the background, in its re-charge stand.

Hey Clay, above the doorway in the photo with Blake there's a Bally SBA topper sign. Any way you can scan that & post it? Would love to have one of those perched on the backbox of my Embryon.

#58 6 years ago

it's pretty big, not easy to scan.

#59 6 years ago

I also have tried out the Dremmel 443 brush due to everybody's EM pal, NicoVolta's, insistence that it's all that and more. I like it for a few applications, but have mostly switched back to the 428 brush(Nic calls this the "pinwheel" brush), for cleaning contacts. I initially learned this tip from TimMe, which many of you have credited already. Even though the 428 sends wire filaments flying, some of which end up embedded in your face, it's way better in my opinion for getting into tight contact points, and just cleans better than the 443. I really WANTED the 443 to work since it sends much less metal slivers flying...it just isn't doing as good as the 428. I also use the 428 for degunking/derusting small metal parts...once again, on this point, the 443 just doesn't get it done to my liking.

I also still use the flexfile for tough to reach switch contacts, like almost all GTB relay banks, and as far as the high voltage/low voltage debate - I generally will only revisit those high voltage contacts if there's a problem... then I hit it with the flexstone or sandpaper, or even swap out contacts/blades.

I never used the Dremmel on stepper rivets...always a scotch brite pad, but I tried the 443 and found it too tedious, and just not as effective as the good old green scotch-brite.

I do like the 443 for cleaning light sockets...I find it to be ideal for that...I used to used the chainsaw sharpening attachment(#454) for this job...but it was really overkill. The 443 is softer and better suited for this task.

Overall, it's just another tool in the arsenal, and I use them all at different times...that's what I always liked about pinwork...there's never ONE way to do anything, although some people talk like their way is always best...

Sean Kavanagh

The 428:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#60 6 years ago

I agree the pin wheel flavor seems easier/better to use on most switches. But yea it does shed. The penis shaped tool wears out way too fast. it works (obviously) well for lamp sockets, but we don't use it for anything else. The wheel is awesome for male Jones plug connectors too.

#61 6 years ago

I've found the cupped wire brush very effective to clean steppers with my Bosch 1348E Super Dremel. However, the fingers on the wiper blades sometimes need adjusting afterward.

Screenshot_20180220-213516 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180220-213516 (resized).png

#62 6 years ago

Based on this thread I purchased 2 Dremel 443-02 carbon steel brushes from Amazon $4.99.

I had a Gorgar with 4 GI lights not working, 1 only partially working, and 3 pop bumper lights that tended to flicker more than stay lit. 1 pass thru the game doing each socket and my lighting issues have been solved!

#63 6 years ago

Can I use a Dremel to clean my contacts on my phone? Or would it be recommended to just file?

#64 6 years ago

As others have recommended, a scotch-brite pad worked great for cleaning my jones plugs.

Does anyone recommend using Dremel on jones plugs over using the scotch-brite?

#65 6 years ago

it's a lot easier/quicker to use the Dremel with the wire wheel on male Jones plugs than anything else i've tried. that is one thing where this tool works really well.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

it's a lot easier/quicker to use the Dremel with the wire wheel on male Jones plugs than anything else i've tried. that is one thing where this tool works really well.

428 right?

#67 6 years ago

To be honest, i bought a package of dremel wire wheels on Ebay. It was like 10 wheels for $10. i've been using those. Note you really want to use a wire-less (rechargeable) dremel, and on slow speeds. And you want to wear eye protection.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I typically use a welder's wire brush for Jones plugs as originally recommended by some guy in MI.

#69 6 years ago

I don't know what the controversy is all about. I've had really good luck with this. You do have to be a little careful because if you miss the contact point you end up with holes in the cabinet. Don't ask how I know.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I typically use a welder's wire brush for Jones plugs as originally recommended by some guy in MI.

Oh believe me, that's what i use most of the time too. but if the damn thing is handy, i'll go with dremel. it is a lot more dangerous though, that wheel like to shed.

#71 6 years ago

Yes...the 428. I'm glad Clay mentioned this usage...I forgot to mention it. You can get to every "side" of each male plug by rotating the plug four times for each side, and running the brush up and down each set of pins.

A video would be great to show this, but I got better things to do...lol. Just try it out...you'll quickly figure it out...

Sean

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dremmel-for-contacts/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.