IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trolldownstairs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4114 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I’m just curious, it seems like they planned to drop balls in there at some point to do all that subway plastic.

I was playing my machine earlier this week after flipper rebuilds, and I managed to air ball up under the deadworld... It fell into that well.. and then rolled down to the standard subway exit. So it might have been a safety in case of the odd air ball.

4 weeks later
#4168 2 years ago

My Dredd has developed a case of gremlins. If the coin door is shut (high power on), the shooter coil energizes as soon as the machine is turned on, and stays on until the F105 fuse blows. I thought maybe the coil was shorted against the bracket, but I took it apart and moved it away from everything and I still get the same behavior.

Also the deadworld motor and crane just run constantly even when in the test menus. If I unplug J130 from the driver board, it no longer blows the fuse, so I know it's something on that power line. I've traced the wires and don't see anything obvious that would be causing a short. I'm tempted to pull the driver board out and start testing everything on that, but not sure where to start.

#4172 2 years ago
Quoted from Meldenhut:

i would disconnect J130 and see if the pins are being held to ground on the PCB header and on the loom plug, then you know if the problem is in the loom or the board,
if its the board then you need to have a close look at those transistors for those outputs, sometimes you can see a visual indication that the magic smoke has been let out[quoted image]

Looks like Q70 is the culprit. the wires on the plug all test fine, but one pin is buzzing on my meter when I connect to ground. It's the number 9 pin (violet-grey). Touching the metal tab on Q70 with meter also buzzes.

#4173 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I’d toss you $20 to get a eprom programmer, If there’s few more out there willing to chip in you could get a gq-4x (~$100) I’ve seen some cheaper stuff but dunno if they’ll actually work.

I'd be down for paying for this mod as well. I dearly hope Soren does push out an official rom, but until then....

1 week later
#4175 2 years ago
Quoted from trolldownstairs:

Looks like Q70 is the culprit. the wires on the plug all test fine, but one pin is buzzing on my meter when I connect to ground. It's the number 9 pin (violet-grey). Touching the metal tab on Q70 with meter also buzzes.

Thanks for the help. Q70 replaced and everything is working as expected.

PXL_20211009_012428925 (resized).jpgPXL_20211009_012428925 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#4194 2 years ago

L1AT boot up

PXL_20211029_203713334 (resized).jpgPXL_20211029_203713334 (resized).jpg
#4196 2 years ago

Anyone have a great lakes opto board that they can tell me what size capacitor it has?

I've already replaced it, but I'd like to repair the old one. I hate throwing stuff out that's repairable.

PXL_20211029_220108721 (resized).jpgPXL_20211029_220108721 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#4207 2 years ago
Quoted from drwicket:

So I changed out the fuse and it worked for about three seconds then blew again.

Sounds like you might have a bad transistor on the driver board. I had a similar issue with the right shooter coil that was causing the fuse to blow. Ended up replacing a transistor and that fixed the issue.

#4210 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I don't have much time on this game, thinking of getting one. If the deadworld motor is dead on this game, does it impact gameplay in any noticeable way?

When I got my machine, the deadworld was not working correctly. The PO bent out the guide so that the ball would just drop onto the playfield. 90% of the time it worked. When it didn't I had to pull the glass off to get the ball out.

2 months later
#4268 2 years ago

I just got my rom upgraded from L1AT to L1D. So far the best bonus is that you can actually complete left ramp loops during modes that require it when you have the ball locks activated. When the mode is running, it ignores the ball locks.

I had Matt's Basement Arcade burn the rom for me. Choose a custom rom, select chip 27c040 and either send the binary or give him a link. Meldenhut send me the binary file.

Of note, if anyone wants one, I accidently had two roms burned so I have a spare. If anyone wants it, shoot me a message and I'll mail it off.

#4276 2 years ago

My JD is starting to turn into a problem child, lol. Was playing fine yesterday, then all of sudden fuse F105 blew. Now the globe just rotates constantly and if I put a new fuse in, it bangs the knocker then blows again.

I took the board out and checked the J130 pins, and none are holding to ground. The solenoid transistors all test fine. I'm starting to suspect Q1 went bad. Any thoughts on how to test it?

5 months later
#4387 1 year ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

It's not terrible, I just did it and also changed out the star posts. I believe it's just the plastics in the area, and both of the dead world disks. There may be a few screw from the ramp in that area you'll need remove. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Pro tip, if you have a spare rubber post sleeve, cut it in half and place one half on each post leading into the subway. The pieces should cover the bottom half of the post that aren't covered by the rubber ring. then put the rubber rings on the post, they shouldn't overlap the post sleeve you just put on but butt up right against it. This will keep the new rubber rings from getting chewed up.

When I last replaced rubbers, I put silicon rings on those posts. They take a bunch of abuse without breaking, and they are cleanable. It does make the subway shot a bit more difficult too, as they tend to stick to the ball a bit more so they don't allow the ball to go in unless you really get it dead on. I kind of like the challenge.

#4388 1 year ago

Since I switched to L1-AT, and now L1-D, I've been having a problem that crops up on super games from time to time. If I get all the targets down during super game, and it start shooting all 6 balls out I sometimes get 2-3 balls stuck in the shooter lane. The game will go on until I loose all balls in play then nothing further will happen. No ball search happens, and I just have balls sitting there in the shooter. The only way to get past this is to tilt the machine, at which time the balls auto-shoot and then drain and the next ball starts like normal.

Has anyone else seen this? I know L-7 supposedly had some shooter logic improvements and I wonder if this was a fix for the issue. I really like the way L1-D plays though, other than this.

#4391 1 year ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

Anyone in The USA sell the dead world roms? Have the disc but l7 rom.

Matt's basement arcade has it.

#4393 1 year ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

Awesome thanks what's the difference between l1 and l1at?

L1 was for proto-type machines. You want L1-AT or even better L1-D, which is an un-official release that improved on L1-AT:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/85#post-6658665

4 months later
#4492 1 year ago
Quoted from mikespins:

I see it has been asked before with no definitive answer. Is there a spot where I can download the L1AT rom so I can burn it myself? If someone could please PM me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I have a copy of L1-D I can send you. That's a custom rom based on L1AT that has some rule fixes.

2 weeks later
#4521 1 year ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

My dmd has started to mess up. It does a scrabled thing when turned on. Game plays fine other than that. It's crazy Friday night it was perfect, and Saturday night it was messed up. Any ideas?
I did check the cables and they are connected good, also it has never done this before

Mine was doing that at one point. Turned out the ground screws for the boards were loose. Tightening all the board screws to the backplane fixed it for me.

2 months later
#4597 1 year ago

Welp, leaving the club (ish). Had to make roome for Twilight Zone, and my father in law said he would like to have JD. As such, I'll still get to visit it

PXL_20230317_224125037 (resized).jpgPXL_20230317_224125037 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#4610 1 year ago
Quoted from Ricbec:

Any tips before I delve into this issue
Left fire button, as I understand, it's purpose is to allow you to switch game modes, and also, during a ball in play, when it says on the display, press left fire button to launch ball.....it is supposed to launch an additional ball?
Well, it is not launching an additional ball, but it allows to switch between game modes
I'm told that f the left fire button isn't pressed before it times out, then the additional ball will auto launch.....this isn't happening
Pretty new to this game, so still learning the game play
Some advice or troubleshooting tips would be most welcome
Cheers and keep flippin!

The left fire button has two functions. One to select modes, and other is to launch the ball when it gets dropped into the left lane from the Air Raid ramp. It doesn't launch a second ball.

#4614 1 year ago
Quoted from Ricbec:

Is this what is called the left shooter lane?
The ball has always auto launched out instantly for me.....I'll play another game and see what happens[quoted image]

If the ball just happens to end up in that lane randomly, it will auto shoot. It only has you fire it if you've gone up the air raid ramp, and dropped it into that lane.

1 month later
#4628 11 months ago
Quoted from Shaker:

About the Planet Motor and Gearbox Assembly:
I bought my JD maybe a year ago. While trying to build my spare parts hoard, I saw that MarcoSpec had 12 reproduction Planet Motor and Gearbox Assemblies in stock (the website let me add 12 to my cart). I was feeling poor after the JD purchase, so I decided to wait until I felt rich again.
Alas, when I felt rich enough to buy one, they were sold out.
Does anyone know who reproduced them, and if there is any chance of a another run?
- Mark

Pretty much un-obtanium new. However if you call Steve at https://www.pbresource.com/, he rebuilds them. You send in your broken one, with a check for the rebuilt one, and he sends it to you. His work is impeccable.

2 months later
#4643 9 months ago
Quoted from superford:

help needed, so mine will put two balls into the shooter lane and lose track of how many balls are in play on a multiball every other game. in a multiball it will end the ball even when 1 ball is still in play. switch 87 which is the top trough doesnt register when a ball is kicked into the shooter lane, it works by hand but the coil is hitting so fast it cant read it. i ordered new trough opto boards and they are the same, switch wont read. any fix for this or do i have another problem im not aware of and switch 87 is not really used. if your looing at the trough board its light number 7

I ran into this a few times. if the switch doesn't reset it no longer knows that a ball is still there. I'm guessing you are running L1-AT or L1-D? L-7 had some better shooter lane logic to fix this, but of course doesn't do the ring locks.

When I had my Dredd, I was able to mitigate the issue by adjusting the switch so that it released quicker. But it would still occasionally get hung up until I tilted the machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trolldownstairs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only?tu=trolldownstairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.