IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stormyx73.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#666 9 years ago

Just been to pick up the Judge.

Will soon have him in my court!

jd1.jpgjd1.jpg
3 weeks later
#684 9 years ago

Yet another fan of the ColorDMD. I had to sit down when buying it with the Aussie/US dollar exchange as it at the moment, but it looks absolutely stunning and well worth the cash.

#689 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Pulled the trigger on a colorDMD for my JD today. I had a hard time deciding on this or ACDC but figured the color on JD being like that of the comics is really gonna make this machine pop. Super psyched! ACDC will just have to wait.

It looks super cool, you'll not regret it. I've ordered a ColorDMD for my AC/DC as well as I am so pleased with the Dredd one. Two ordered in as many months! My bank account is looking very depressed, though I am happy

2015-02-17 07.37.33.jpg2015-02-17 07.37.33.jpg
#696 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

What is it with people owning JD and ACDC?

I got AC/DC NIB and assumed I would only ever own one machine. Then the bug bit again (as everyone said it would!) and I fancied a '90s Bally/Williams machine. Dredd was one of the ones on my wishlist as I love the theme and I played it tons back in the day and thought it was completely different to Accer Daccer. One came up for sale, it was a beauty, so I bought it and I love it. No regrets at all.

#703 9 years ago

All three Deadworld bulbs were blown on mine when I got it, so I replaced them with one orange flasher and two red GI LEDs (They were spares – I think I may have been a little over-zealous when I made a previous CoinTaker order!). It looks great.

1 week later
#716 9 years ago

Looks brilliant, would love to re-decal mine but I don't fancy the full disassemble.

2 weeks later
#726 9 years ago

I'm going to get some Playfield Accent Spotlights to brighten everything up a bit. What's a good LED to put in them? A 3 LED? A 4? Or does the reflective cone fire out the light fine if it's just a regular one-light one?

I'm guessing mounting them on a spacer and not just straight to the slingshot screw is better for light distribution and lessens ball rebound hits? Not that it makes any difference on my AC/DC as I'm forever realigning the buggers.

#728 9 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

I have a question for anyone that has the red or blue led mod that's on eBay. The one that brightens up the back of the playfield. It looks great but is it worth getting the eBay mod? Or should I just order some led strips from comet? I'd hate to pay triple the price for something I could just get with my next led order.

I've got the blue one, it is essentially a small strip of LEDs that you stick to the ceiling of the wooden panel that the backbox sits on. It has a long wire attached on one side that you feed up into the backbox and piggyback connect to either J116, J117 or J118 on the main board.

It does light up the dark back of the playfield rather nicely, but it's a simple construction (LED strip, cable, sleeve, connector, I'm guessing a resistor). You're paying for the convenience and easy 'plug and play' nature. If you can make it yourself, then I say go for it as it will be cheaper and you can buy a strip long enough to span the entire width of the playfield.

2 months later
#758 8 years ago

I often get a credit dot appearing as the Judge reckons Switch 68 – Captive Ball 3 is faulty. It appeared when I switched on the machine this morning.

I guess this is down to the machine assuming this is the case as it hasn't been used for x number of games. The captive ball section is a tricky shot at the best of times and I don't seem to make it very often.

'One more game and then I'll take the glass off and fix it' I thought. On the last ball of my session I hit the shot and cleared the dot. Marvellous

#764 8 years ago

They look fantastic guys! I envy your unfaded side art.

I put some spots on mine as well Tjohejsan. It makes such a difference.

I'm awaiting some new Great Lakes Modular flipper boards as my left one is super stiff and the right is super loose. Looks like sometime in its life someone put a metal one in the left and a plastic one in the right.

And yes, I did remember to order two different boards due to the fire buttons.

#794 8 years ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

Need some help, could anyone send me a pic of the super game button connector to make sure I'm fixing mine correctly? Looks like someone has removed the connection, cut the green wire and bastardized it with a diode... surprise surprise it doesn't work...

Had a quick look...
IMG_0330.jpgIMG_0330.jpg
IMG_0329.jpgIMG_0329.jpg

Also, here's an "artist's" impression

IMG_0331.jpgIMG_0331.jpg

1 week later
#821 8 years ago

Your towers look fantastic Mancave! I've always thought the stock 'flat' ones look a bit cheap.

#852 8 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

I choose the red because the numbers on my decal are cut out so you would see the red behind when lite. I like the glow of the red my self. Hope the pdf works for everyone.

I can't get the PDF to open or download.

Will have a go on the wife's PC later.

#855 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

For me it opened into a black screen with some text on it, the words "The image" was underlined, if you click on this it should come up as a pdf file page which you can download ( i did have to click 3 times though, the first 2 failed to load properly) I'm using a PC.

On Mac with Chrome it cuts to a page that says 'Loading' and it never does. After downloading the PDF it makes a file that is 0k in size.

Hopefully the wife's PC tonight will make it all work properly.

3 weeks later
#903 8 years ago

Sweet machine parabol420, welcome!

The spotlights really make a difference. Though I've put one on the 'Air Raid' wireform just above the left upper flipper, and I always seem to get a ball stuck in the spotlight's cone.

11167659_10205477934341100_410662424570107549_o.jpg11167659_10205477934341100_410662424570107549_o.jpg

The little piece of transparent plastic I took off to put it there obviously makes a big difference! I think I might re-locate it to the very back left corner.

As for the double ball plunge, mine did that for a while as the machine had no idea where its balls were. I found that the bracket the crane exit opto is attached to had become a bit bent and was leaning too far towards Deadworld and perhaps the opto wasn't registering every ball drop. As a quick dirty fix, I wedged an old post rubber into the gap below it which straightened it up and, touch wood, it's been absolutely fine since. I'm loathed to actually fix it properly now as it works so well!

#908 8 years ago

Thanks for the pics and tips parabol420, I'm definitely going to move my spotlight: it's more trouble that it's worth! I placed it there to light up that side of the machine and bounce back some of the light from the mirror blade that I've put in.

My friend has just put in a few of Comet Pinball's lighted LED strips into the darker corners of his STNG and they really do make a difference. I'm going to get some and experiment.

As for the metal drop target bar, I think it's been discussed quite a bit about how difficult it is to find. It shouldn't be too hard to home-make as it's only got (I think) four 90° bends.

#909 8 years ago

Oh Dredd you temperamental old thing...

It's been working fine forever with the Deadworld mod, but now the crane has somehow got out of sync with the planet. The crane goes across, drops down in a space between the ball holes and stays there whilst the planet spins and the balls bump the crane as it goes past under it. On the 'Unload Planet' test, the crane does all the right movements back and forth and up and down but in the wrong place. After a while it gives up, stops and like above, gets bumped by the balls in the spinning planet.

What do you think? Opto problem on the interruptor under the playfield? or am I going to have to do some adjustment on the crane screws like described on this page? http://www.iobium.com/tuning_judge_dredd_for_the_locki.htm

Any ideas or tips would be much appreciated.

#910 8 years ago

Wow ok.

It's been off an hour or so with left three balls in the planet. Switched it on, pressed Start and it did the 'Missing Pinballs' routine.

It emptied the planet perfectly. A few games played and the Deadworld multiball has worked ok.

I've no idea. I'm happy it's recovered, but I will keep an eye on it

#916 8 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

[email protected] - sometimes takes a day or more for a response. I've ordered his stuff also from other big vendors. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18244-GLM

I would recommend Marco and Great Lakes Modular too, they have super fast international shipping. Replaced both my flipper opto boards with GLM ones ordered from them and they are brilliant. Took a bit of fiddling to fit the left one, but that was my fault as I replaced my start button microswitch with a slightly different one which stuck out too far!

#917 8 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

Alright guys, got a new one for you. The light board under the subway, with the 10x 555s and 2x 906s is completely dead in my machine. The flashers work in the test mode, but I cant get the 555s to work at all. Is this considered a lamp or GI? I am trying to figure out which mode to put it into for test while I trace the wires and try to figure out what is going on. No blown fuses either, first thing I checked.
Also, does anybody else have trouble standing their playfield up against the backbox? For whatever reason, I cannot get mine to stand up, I dont have this issue with any of my other games. It feels like it gives a lot of resistance and I dont want to push to hard and break something, although it looks all clear. It's definitely driving me crazy as I have to hold up the playfield with 1 hand, leaving just 1 to work on stuff under it, makes it incredibly difficult.

They are considered GI I think. String 5 on the General Illumination test.

My playfield always feels like its going to come off the rail when I pull it towards me, but it still clicks and rests ok, just a bit closer to 90° than my AC/DC which has a definite angle. I often have the window open whilst working and I do worry that the wind will take it and slam it down!

#923 8 years ago

And Deadworld is back misbehaving like I described several posts back.

I have no idea why it sometimes works absolutely fine and other times not. Just given the crane optos a good clean, but no joy.

Have filmed the problem, using my terrible cinematographer skills.

Any ideas or tips would be much appreciated.

#925 8 years ago

Thanks Cynric, I'll give them a check.

#934 8 years ago

Looks super cool, nice one!

I am so on for having a go at this mod after I've ironed out my Deadworld problems.

1 week later
#944 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

To anyone thinking about installing a colour DMD on their Dredd......DO SO !!!
I installed mine yesterday and it's so AWESOME i very nearly got over excited
I thought the STTNG one was fantastic but i really think Randy and Co have done a feckin TOP JOB on the Dredd version. I didn't bother with any pics, been done already but if needed one shall supply some. The only down side is the kick to the back pocket due to the crap conversion rate for Oz - $458 shipped becomes $630 (with a slight wammy from paypal as well ).

Totally agree, though yes the shipping, plus Aussie/US dollar differences aren't pretty.

The only problem is that the 'Life for Terrorism' crime scene graphic appears as just a black screen on mine. Is everyone else's behaving?

1 month later
#972 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

I'll have a look, if It's a soft miss it doesn't drain but if you get a solid shot up that just doesn't get past the turn it'll come back sdtm fast. Also had something weird with safecracker this morning, when I started it a coil somewhere was continuously firing for about 10 seconds. Never had it do that before and couldn't recreate it either or tell where it came from.

When my machine takes down the middle 'D' letter drop target ready for the Safecracker, it makes clicking noises like it's still attempting to drop it. It was worse before I cleaned the drop target mech and now stops after a few seconds.

#977 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Thanks for the help guys, it is my D target not dropping during safecracker.
I've only had to do minor work before (changing optos/switches easy stuff) so how big of a job is it to get that assembly out? Looks like a few things around it need to be removed to get to it. My springs look like they need to be changed, someone has hooked them on at a lower point because the ends look worn this is likely why some targets occasionally don't drop all the way on soft hits but not sure if it'd cause my D not to drop when needed (everything raises fine).
Also how is that assembly meant to work dropping target? I understand how they raise but not how it is supposed to drop the D.

It's been a while since I removed it, but I seem to remember it is held on with several screws and with a bit of jiggling and removing of connections, it will just come away. If not, just remove anything you need to get at it and reverse when putting it back in. The connections are keyed so it should be difficult to connect it up again wrong. I took pictures when I did it just to make sure!

My springs were really caked in dust and grime and after a good clean they work a lot better. I used this opportunity to add some aftermarket J, U, D, G and E stickers to the drops. Make sure that there is a millimetre or two clearance along the front of them so they don't get stuck against the wood. One of the letters on mine can sometimes be a bit lazy (occasionally dropping very, very slowly), it's on the list to fix one day, but I can live with it as it doesn't happen too often.

2 months later
#1052 8 years ago

Just replaced the captive balls with some green Glo-Balls. A bit more fiddly a job than I expected but not too much of a headache!

I get a credit dot a lot because the last switch doesn't get activated very much (I find it a tricky shot!), so hopefully with these balls being slightly lighter it should fire more often.

I think they look great also

2015-11-22 13.17.16.jpg2015-11-22 13.17.16.jpg

#1054 8 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

looks good! were those the glo in dark or just regular florecent green?

Just the regular florescent ones. I thought they would be brighter in normal light.

3 weeks later
#1100 8 years ago

Interesting to finally play a Pinball Arcade table that I own in the flesh! If the 'emulation' is correct then my real Dredd needs some slight adjustment as the ball doesn't go down the left outlane as much on the digital table.

Now when is the Deadworld mod patch coming out?

#1111 8 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

I just finished LEDing my Dredd I'm just waiting on one more piece to share pics of it.
I also did the spot lights at the slings. You mount them to the nuts at the top of the sling plastics and run the wires down through where the sling arms are. Then you either solder or alligator clip them to the GI bulbs that are under the sling plastics.

I did this too, it makes a vast improvement to the dingy bottom of the playfield.

1 month later
#1231 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Mine is coming tomorow and I can't wait. Anyone have the side panel art or are the mirrors the way to go?

I have mirror blades on mine and they really do add a bit of extra light to a dark game.

2 months later
#1370 7 years ago

I love the apron screen! I think I might have a go at that myself. I wonder if it will work with a ColorDMD?

#1380 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

That is exactly what it is.

I'd imagine the flashers don't add anything at all to the alternative translite artwork like they do with the original. Such as the bike lights flashing during the Chain Challenges etc.

2 months later
#1481 7 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

Question, has anyone used the Judge Dredd Left Opto Flipper Board?
Replacing my Type 1 board with this over priced one for the Judge...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16482-GLM

When I got my machine, the left and right flippers had different stiffness which was annoying. I replaced both with Great Lakes Modular ones like in your pic.

They work absolutely fine, but the upper left flipper often stays up until the right flipper button is pressed or the ball hits a sling or something. The flipper boards have LEDs to show when the flipper is pressed and it is showing that is 'at rest' even when it is up. I think the magnets might need reversing or adjusting.

#1493 7 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I am also amazed that JD is not a top rated pin. Wide body, great dmd visuals, four flippers with each doing very different actions, great ramp shots and great loop shot, looks amazing, complex rule set, great call outs, intense music and good sound. I guess it is a hard game with short ball times so it will not please the masses.

I've always thought that the theme put people off. The stigma of the dreadful Stallone movie is strong – thank god it wasn't released two years later as a movie tie-in ! I loved the 2000AD comic as kid so was always attracted to the machine, the fact it's a great game as well is super cool. I'm never letting it go!

1 month later
#1606 7 years ago

I'm just about to start a complete flipper rebuild as one of them is suffering from the old 'stay in the up position' problem and thought I may as well do the lot.

Have noticed that under the lower flippers are a couple of holes/indents in the playfield.

Was this for something that was planned at the prototype stage and scrapped, like a peg or something?

dredd (resized).JPGdredd (resized).JPG

#1609 7 years ago

Ah very clever! Useful to know, thanks Dredders.

1 week later
#1629 7 years ago
Quoted from beardorew:

I just got a new left flipper board from GLM, but I'm having a really hard time getting it to work properly with the interference from the left launch coil. I'll have it set perfect and 1 or 2 games later its out of sorts even when I tape it. Any tips to get it working properly?

I had difficulty even fitting mine as the microswitch I got to replace a broken one in the start button, stuck out too much. I had to remove the whole fitting, install the flipper board and put the button assembly back in carefully bending the contact outwards by 90°. There is about 3mm clearance between the two!

I had some interference from the left launcher as well. I flipped the magnet over, moved it around until both LEDs went out and then stuck it down with tape. It was a fiddly process, but it solved the problem. I still get a little movement from the right flipper when launching the ball, (I've got a GLM right flipper board too) but I can live with it.

2 weeks later
#1646 7 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Anyone running color dmd with your deadworld mod? Just curious as color dmd says software required is L7. May splurge for the color display

Mine works fine, except the 'Life for Terrorism' crime scene, which just shows a blank screen for some reason.

1 year later
#2470 6 years ago

Ooooh nice Deadworld ring! Mine is chipped and scratched to hell.

9 months later
#2879 5 years ago

Yeah mine does that too. I'm running the 1LAT Deadworld mod ROM.

Quoted from bigballa81:

question for those Dredd owners out there with a color DMD installed - Noticed a while back that 'Life for Terrorism' crime scene animation just shows up as a black screen every time. Is this the case for everyone?

3 months later
#2980 5 years ago

Absolutely. Colordmd is so very cool on Dredd.

Quoted from ChipScott:

Awesome. Congrats!
Take some pics once you get that Color DMD up and running!

1 month later
#3034 5 years ago

I've got the 'dull' gold one. I like it as I assume it would be more authentic to the one on the Judges' uniform.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stormyx73.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only?tu=stormyx73 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.