IMG_9540 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9542 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9546 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2691 5 years ago

Hi Guys,

Quick question for the pros. I noticed my JD occasionally calls out "Rock" while adding points even tho there's no ball in play. I have a hunch it might be related to the drop targets, but I just can't seem find what triggers that callout with google searches and also searching Pinside. I could go in and start moving wires, but I would like to be a little more methodical about it. After playing, it goes away rather quickly, so I assume it might just be a switch that needs adjusted. No error dots, but I have not went into the diagnostic yet to test switches.

#2693 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

You sure its not saying “watch it” like you’re pulling tilt warnings? I can’t think of a quote in the game that says “rock” although I guess it could be something unused?

Hi Gun,

No, definitely not "Watch it". But it could be 'lock' or something else that sounds like it. I've wondered that myself if that was one of the reasons I couldn't find any info on the problem. One thing I might do is turn it on again, hoping is does it again, then manually start tripping switches until it goes away. I have a scope, USB logic analyzer, DVM - so I can fix whatever is wrong, just have to figure out where to start! Another thing would be to watch the score and see how much it increases - that might point me in the right direction. But the DMD is also busy with animations...so that might not pan out.

Now that I think about it and based on what I think was on the DMD...it might have been 'stop!' because I think JD fires a gun. Hmmm...

Thanks for your comment!

#2698 5 years ago

Thanks Guys, Going to investigate it further now. "Drock"...ha, I'll have to look it up. Besides this hiccup, JD has been one solid solid game for the past year. Running the latest code (L7?), no Deadworld mod - just the original ring w/the slots.

Will report back later...

Thanks!

#2701 5 years ago

Yep, after Jedi's (and others) comment...I'm rather certain it's Drock. Good call.

Took the glass off when it acted up after first turning on. Tried to manually get it to go away...which I did, but not certain when. Not the drop targets, not the "?" target, not any obvious roll-over switches or the captive balls...seemed to be around the back somewhere. But not sure due to the likeliness of going thru multi optos or switches. Will try again Monday.

MT45 - thank you for the link - I'll check that out. I'm rather interested figuring out the history of Dredd.

Thanks to all that chimed in, much appreciated!

#2704 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

If you’re hearing “drock” randomly it might be one of the rollover switches for the captive balls is stuck or flaky.

Will do guys (or gals).

Will see if I have time Mon. eve to sort it out. Will dig into diagnostics and see what is going on. But I think the best test is to start a game and try to note when the problem stops, or at least to narrow it down some.

I originally thought it might be related to the drop targets since I replaced a damaged target recently - doesn't appear to be an area of concern tho.

Thanks for all your inputs!

#2707 5 years ago

Got a DVM or a scope to start chasing down voltages (or lack of)?

#2710 5 years ago

altan likely knows more about JD than I, but I'll try to chime in and help.

Take a look at pages 3-20 to 3-22 of the manual, that shows the flipper circuitry. Try to note some of the voltages that power the flippers and the boards associated with the flippers - and check those. As altan sort of indirectly eluded to, J116, pin 2 supplies +12V to the boards. I think the +12V is supplied by either fuse F116 or maybe F115 (have to look that up). Check that fuse for certain.

How well can you follow a schematic?

Also, is the coin door shut when you try the flippers?

#2713 5 years ago

Considering +50V powers the flippers that would be a good place to check too.

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png

#2714 5 years ago

oops..you beat me to the punch!

Good deal, wolfman. JD is a great game, really enjoy it. I have a ColorDMD too, makes all the difference!

#2718 5 years ago

The ColorDMD really makes a significant diff, doesn't it? I think the monochromatic (aka single color) display makes it really hard to see what is going on and is hard on the eyes. The color display really is a game changer, IMHO - and they did a great job w/the software. Install it yourself next time. It's like a 10 min install. TOTAN to the left of it?

#2722 5 years ago
Quoted from bartron:

New Translight and plastic....

I don't think I've ever seen that translight, where did you find that?

#2726 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Yes, it indeed is TOTAN. Funny you mention that in your post. I just installed color DMD on it yesterday and wow! Same effect with JD, a real game changer. Also installed the treasure chest and genie eyes while I was at it.
And speaking of mods, I installed the 3D printed sniper tower mod on JD and love it. Has hand painted blood on the railing below, looks just like the tower shown in the sniper dmd animation.

I bet you hooked up the connector that went to J116!

The sniper tower...nice, I've seen that before. I'd like to print one myself, but obviously the individual wouldn't want to release the file.

#2732 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Hey guys quick question, does Dredd have a knocker in the head? I always thought mine was just missing and today I pulled one from a different parts cab and put it into the Dredd head but there is no where to plug it into.

Have to sort out where it's at, here is where it hooks up at..

#2733 5 years ago

Found it. Back left corner of head.

#2737 5 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I appreciate the interest. I developed and make the Sniper Tower mod. Several imteractive window insert colors to choose from. Hand painted, wired, etc. (comes with paper instructions--takes just minutes to install) : https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1104-medisinyl-mods/01354-interactive-judge-dredd-sniper-tower-mod-led

Hi Medi,

Would you be interested in selling an unpainted one?

#2750 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I'm looking for the Eagle Topper - can anyone help me?

Alex,

Here you go (state side tho) http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8936

I've been looking for the Pursuit plastics, where did you find them?

1 week later
#2765 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

JD is the first pin I vividly remember playing in middle school. After trying to join the club countless times and coming up short, I'm finally in! Picked it up a few weeks ago but did a full tear down. Polished the field, tumbled most mechs, rebuilt all the flippers, regrained all the ball guides, installed pinbits new ramp flaps, rebuilt the planet gear box, added dead world mod, fixed various items on the field, and added LEDs. This one is never leaving!

Congrats! Didn't know much about JD when I bought mine, but it looked intriguing. Only discovered the good rule set after playing. Glad we went for it. Can be a very challenging game at times but remains fun enough that a quick game can be enjoyable. And the price is still reasonable. Great artwork and the sound is excellent. It's a keeper. Should be rated higher than the 50ish range. As I mentioned in a prior post, and other people have also chimed in - the ColorDMD is a fantastic addition...really improves the game. Might want to look onto that.

3 weeks later
#2775 5 years ago
Quoted from bigballa81:

Was thinking about replacing all my rubbers on my Dredd as I have noticed that one of the rubbers behind the "JUDGE" drop targets has become a bit frayed...

Ditto here too. Almost to the point of breaking at the drop downs. I have a new rubber kit already. But I'm tempted to put in Titan's, which are synthetic - I think it is going to a royal PIA and and I only want to do it once.

I installed Titan Comps on the flippers and no doubt about - I enjoyed them much more. However, I do want to add the original rubber could have been well past their useful life. So likely not a good comparison. I actually got the Titan replace kit, but oops - yellow. Want a different color.

Really interested in the replies to you question.

#2777 5 years ago

Hey Soap,

The photobucket link appears broken.

#2783 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Ok, wow...I knew I loved this game, but I just did a flipper re-build...first time mind you and did it on both lower flippers, also replaced the coil on the right lower...

Try some Titan Comp on those too! Made a huge difference on ours. Very responsive.

#2792 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Made some new cards today...

Very nice...mind sharing with your brethren JD'ers?

#2797 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Thanks. Happy to!
I create these cards on a Word Doc file. I have a pretty good color printer, so it came out with some pretty decent color and quality. I just remoce a chunk of excess paper and then fold the edges of the paper back to fit the picture (which is just about right size for the card, like you see in the pics). Ideally I like to eventually take them to an Office Store and get them laninated, and I'll probably do that later today.
I am happy to email this file to anyone interested. Just send me a PM.

ChipS,

PM sent!

2 months later
#2820 5 years ago

Very nice!

1 week later
#2822 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikonos:

Thanks mbwalker!
I´m working in a "Crew" card. It will be great! I´m using one of the Judge Drebd fonts!
Regards

Quick question. The links you provided look like a static screen shot. Is there a file to download?

4 months later
#2911 5 years ago

Just stuck a sub on mine...sounds nice!

I actually have 3 pins on one sub via a cheap mixer.

8_close (resized).jpg8_close (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#2937 5 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Put art blades from pinballpt on today.
[quoted image]

Nice, did the PF have to come out to install?

#2945 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Just picked up a JD along with a DM for my ‘Superpin’ collection.
I’ve got a gold plated topper coming( old mustard one was long gone), alternate cab art and alternate translite.
Just ebay’d up a chrome crane mod.
Will be chrome plating the habitrails and not sure on trim. Would like the deadworld mod, I pm’d Dudah.
Any other ideas to take my girl to her next level?

ColorDMD, hook up a sub, art blades?

3 weeks later
#2977 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

New JD owner here curious at what setup you folks recommend for flipper travel. The flippers on my unit are strong, but unfortunately the left has the shorter stroke of the later WPC games while the right was replaced with the longer stroke of the earlier WPC games. I intend to rebuild the flips so they have equal stroke.
I initially was planning on going with the longer stroke version to help trap during multiball, but it appears the shorter travel flippers are the standard version for JD. Difficult decision..
What do you folks recommend?

A little bit of a sidebar...installed Titan's on the flippers, not rubber. Much more responsive.

#2982 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Awesome. Congrats!
Take some pics once you get that Color DMD up and running!

I've always thought the chromatic displays were a a little hard to decipher whlle playing the game. After getting the Colordmd...much easier and a lot of fun to watch.

1 week later
#2999 5 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Digging into the Dredd a little more today to try and figure out these switch issues I am having. I found two connectors under the PF that are not connected to anything, nor do I see a mate for them. Is this standard?
The first is a switch line at the back of the PF and the other looks like a coil line on the middle right side of the PF.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I got a bunch of high res pics I can send. PM me your regular e-mail if you want them (I can't attach pics to a PM). Mind zooming out a bit so I can see where those are at?

#3000 5 years ago

Is this one of the connectors?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3001 5 years ago

Is this where it goes? Hard to tell from the pics.

#3003 5 years ago

Ah...OK. Thanks for the zoomed in pics. Looking at mine, I think you are OK on the one connector. Or mine has the same kludge.

P.S. Might want to zip tie the green ground wires away from the rail, they might get sliced.

#3004 5 years ago

And the 2nd mystery wire...looks like you are OK too. My JD below.

1 month later
#3075 4 years ago
Quoted from Broy1189:

Brand new dredd owner here, glad to join the club!
[quoted image]

Ours still 'holds it own' setting next to our newer pins. After a couple of years, it still gets played as much as the others.

#3077 4 years ago
Quoted from Broy1189:

That's great to know! I don't plan on getting rid of this one anytime soon

Forgot to add in my prior post...add a powered sub! It sounds great! Don't need much - 8" is fine.

2 months later
#3157 4 years ago
Quoted from ragefactory:

Yes, like i said, that's the base model i started from. But you can't use it as it is: many modifications needed to fit it in the playfiled.

So you also made the base plate the 3 cooling towers are attached to?

1 month later
#3194 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

Is there some kind of software limitation that keeps the replay at 396m? Mine had a replay in the 100 millions when I first got it and it crept up until it hit 396m. It has been stuck at 396m for several months--probably over a thousand games. I am wondering if I messed something up in the settings or if it just doesn't go any higher. I have the L-6 ROM.

Not that I'm aware of...

#3196 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

So you have run the replay above 396m?

I'll check shortly. I do recall installing the latest rom code that allowed an extended ball save. But I didn't adjust the replay.

I actually misread your post and was thinking it was about something else!

#3198 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

So you have run the replay above 396m?

Just checked. I have the L7 ROM and Replay was set to Auto. Changed it to fixed and I could set it above 396M (not sure if that answered your question).

The one thing I didn't check for: Would it have indicated what the value was in Auto? When I changed from Auto to Fixed, then checked the value - it was at 150M (default).

Charlesd might have hit the nail on the head - maybe the Auto option? Looking at my SnipIt below, looks like you should be able to set it in the A.1 07 Adjustment. I can adjust and save above 396M.

Do you currently have it set to Auto or Fixed?

#3200 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

I have the replay set to auto, it just won't go above 396m. I'm guessing there might be some bug or software limitation of the L6 ROM keeping it there. It's really not an issue since it's just on free play in my living room, but I was curious if anyone else observed the same.
I imagine most here have either gone with the Deadworld ROM or have upgraded to the most current L7 ROM. I have been thinking about upgrading to L7 but the revision notes don't make it seem worth the hassle unless there are a bunch of bug fixes that aren't listed in the rev notes.

I got the L7 version primarily for the longer ball save.

If you decide to go the L7 route, I think I got it from Matt's Basement Arcade. https://mattsbasementarcade.com/ Reasonable cost (I think around $15ish) and great, fast service. Bought a few times from him and completely satisfied each time.

1 month later
#3275 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

The Target Trip Switch spots the "D", for entrance to the subway...

Is this a shot that drops the center drop target (without actually hitting the D target)?

#3279 4 years ago

Hmmm...I'll have to go look for that switch! When I cleaned the drop targets a couple of years ago, I don't recall seeing a mechanism to perform that, but I admit I could have easily missed it.

#3283 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Been some time since i've had my target bank off the machine but isn't the center target dropped via that wire that runs across the bank? has a small loop in the wire right where the center target is and i thought it was controlled/dropped via the coil??

I'm going to have to pop the top tonight and see what's under the hood!

#3293 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Mine's the same. Pretty isn't it?...

Ditto here, for what it's worth.

#3301 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I pulled the drop assy, dismantled it, and cleaned it in the ultrasonic. It's much better now. The Target Trip Switch spots the "D", for entrance to the subway.

Evan,

What actually drops the 'D' target? Looking at the manual, I don't spot it. Mancave mentioned a loop of wire? What solenoid actually pulls it down? Item 4 in the drawing pops them up.

#3303 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

Pc 19 is a small coil with a wire attached to it--the dotted line coming out of Pc 19. The coil rotates the wire when it fires and a bend in the wire bumps the middle target. You can sort of see it in the picture on post #3230
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/65#post-5224474

Thanks Howard - live and learn, I guess.

I've owned the pin for two years, and I don't recall ever seeing it drop (maybe I simply missed it). I can test this from the menu?

#3306 4 years ago

Son of a gun...it did drop in the test mode. LOL, never noticed that during game play!

Thanks for info guys.

#3310 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Here is how the 5 bank works:[quoted image]

Thanks Davi! Where in the heck did you get that image?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.