IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4318 2 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

The manual calls for a double switch. I believe mine has been hacked. There is no voltage cutoff when I open the coin door.

This is done in the factory with an intermediate connector. The factory either did not install it or it has been removed - along with the DPDT interlock switch at the coin door. If I were a betting person I suspect it was never installed at the factory. I have an Indiana Jones (not mine) in my possession that has exactly the same thing. No intermediate connector and no DPDT interlock switch.

jd_transformer_secondary.jpgjd_transformer_secondary.jpg

Quoted from smoothbore19:

Here is a couple more pics of the transformer wiring, and wiring on the left side of the cabinet. Does this look normal to anyone?

You have a few more hacks to undo if you want to achieve factory nirvana.

jd_coin_door_buttons.jpgjd_coin_door_buttons.jpg
jd_transformer_wires_cut.jpgjd_transformer_wires_cut.jpg

1 year later
#4721 5 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Strongly suspect u8 is the culprit, I got a zero reading with power off on pin 28 versus a 4.25v reading on the same pin on my working Gilligans.

wpc_batteries.jpgwpc_batteries.jpg

#4723 5 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I ordered a replacement u8 from Marco and will update the group after I get it installed.

If you ordered a 62256, this is a static RAM (SRAM). You will still need batteries. You will have to remove the old IC to install the new one. It is recommended to install a socket. If you install a socket then it would be recommended to use a non-volatile RAM (NVRAM) rather than a SRAM. This obviates the need for the batteries. Note that NVRAM is usually a 6264 compatible IC and this means you will need to make the corresponding changes on the CPU board to change the configuration from 62256 to 6264. It is possible to purchase a 62256 compatible NVRAM. This would be FM18W08. Also note that if you purchase the FM1608 (DIP-28) from Marco these are recycled/recovered ICs that are original Ramtron brand and are USED. They are not new.

#4726 5 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I’ll install a socket

Quoted from sullivcd40:

Looks like pinitech sells the 62256 nvram. I have used their products on a couple machines in the past and have been impressed.

If you are installing a socket then get a 6264 and make the board modification to support 6264 instead of 62256.

• 62256 NVRAM = $39.95. Total = $39.95
  • 6264 NVRAM = $24.95. 1.5k resistor = $0.01. Total = $24.96

Personally, I think that's a no-brainer. The FM16W08 is relatively cheap. The FM18W08 is much more expensive.

#4728 5 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

It’s a 10k ohm 1/4 watt resistor at r93 for the mod, correct?

Quoted from DumbAss:

6264 NVRAM = $24.95. 1.5k resistor = $0.01. Total = $24.96

#4730 5 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

It’s 1.5k ohm and 1/4 watt?

This board is a digital logic board. Every discrete resistor on the board is 0.25W (1/4W). The bussed resistors are probably 0.125W or 0.2W depending on what the production line had on hand.

I know you don't know what I consider normal specification but without a specification, I generally assume the power rating is 0.25W. You can always use a resistor with a higher power rating but those are often larger in size since they dissipate more energy (heat) and may not fit in the allocated space on the board.

0.125W (1/8W) resistors do exist but they aren't commonly used. Presumably because they are small and fat fingers (not yours specifically but as a generalization) don't like small things.

#4732 5 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

On a related note, is there a source for the ASIC for these boards? Marco sells them but they are super expensive.

I believe Marco is the most expensive of any merchant selling these. Marco is often the most expensive of any merchant selling anything (pinball related). They do a great service by stocking a lot of things and their labeling is second to none. A great range of products and often a one stop shop for anything pinball. That's what you're paying for.

There are other merchants that do carry it but the definitive source is Mr. Pinball in Melbourne, AU. See https://shop.mrpinball.com.au/product/ic-wpc-asic/?currency=USD for the product.

These chips typically only get damaged when someone using the wrong tool tries to extract it from the PLCC socket. Sometimes, alkaline corrosion spreads to them as well.

4 months later
#4838 17 days ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

I know it has been asked for before on this forum but would someone be kind enough to take a pic of the four wires attached to the standard start button?

How about posting an image of yours? Others can then inspect what you have and advise you on what to connect to where.

#4849 16 days ago
Quoted from Mancave:

That makes sense, Those switches usually have terminals marked NO (normally open), NC (normally closed) and Ground.

Small correction. The terminals are labeled NO/NC/C. The C is "common" not "ground". For those that are interested in learning more search for "spdt" or "1 form c".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 85.00
6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only?tu=dumbass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.