IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clempo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4102 2 years ago

I joined the club a week ago. My machine worked fine for a week, but now it continuously launches balls. It's never ending. It's like the machine thinks the drain shield is enabled and we are in 6 ball multiball. I turn off the machine, turn it back on, choose regulation play (NOT supergame), then it starts doing this immediately. Any idea what could cause this?

#4107 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Opto board on the trough, usually the culprit, may be that the wire connector came loose

Thanks guys. I had never seen that behavior before. I will look at that trough board pronto.

7 months later
#4308 2 years ago

I bent my crane while lowering the playfield. I know it's very common but I didn't know at that time. I straightened the crane shaft the best I could and put it back. Everything seems normal but now I'm having a hard time adjusting the crane to pick up the balls. Is this repair supposed to work or the tolerances are such that my only hope is to buy a new crane shaft?

#4310 2 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

That adjustment is a pita to do, but it should work with a slightly bent shaft too (mine isn't straight either)..

Good to hear.
My crane magnet is pretty weak compared to the videos I've seen. Is there anything I should be looking for to improve the magnet strength?

#4312 2 years ago
Quoted from Preacher:

Make sure that you test the crane magnet during normal play. Apparently the magnet is weaker in test mode for some reason.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

I discovered the globe moves slowly whenever the magnet is on. The magnet is weak because it loses power to the globe motor. That's obviously a bad connection somewhere since my friend confirmed it does not happen on his machine. I will continue to look for the electric problem tonight.

#4315 2 years ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

Also you may have aready done this , but check and make sure you use that coin door clip that presses and keeps the high power button down as if the coin door is closed and allows the high power going to the coils and motors. Without it installed the crane magnet and globe motor will not have enough power to function properly. Good luck.
If this isn't something you have covered already go to my post #4011, where I posted a picture of the clip I am referring too.

Thanks for the advice. I now believe my crane is more affected by the globe that keeps moving than the weak magnet because the ball is no longer under the crane by the time it tries to pick it up.

1 week later
#4325 2 years ago

If you change your mind, the ring is also available on pinballlife https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=dredd%20ring

#4327 2 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

Thanks for the link. With postage and increasingly high import duties to the EU I think that it will be cheaper to make my own!

If you just want to try it, a bit of cardboard and tape on each slit in the ring can do the job.

1 month later
#4348 1 year ago
Quoted from henrigroenevelt:

Dear,
Can anyone tell me what the normal behaviour is of the lift motor ? Mine keeps going all the time after startup.
Thanks.

Are you talking about the crane? Yes, the crane searches for its position when the machine powers up. The only crane switch telling it exactly where it is is over the ring. Every other crane position is guessed with timers.

#4349 1 year ago

2 weeks later
#4357 1 year ago
Quoted from Shmilder:

Hi All,
Is anyone able and willing to use the lidar on their phone and an app to scan the topper for me.
Would love to attempt to 3D print one.
Cheers

Really? The toppers are still available from the original mold for a very reasonable fee. Shipping to Oz land might sour the deal though.

#4362 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Figured I’d ask here as well. Just picked up a Dredd and the deadworld mod thing seems pretty finicky. I had previously bent the crane drop trough guide, and that solved my problem for a few days, but now it’s acting up again. Seems like my crane just isn’t as snappy as other videos I’ve seen.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wokNgSymLoGpWQz9cg27TN5XvsIdqzrd/view

Your magnet is too weak. Check the voltage for the magnet. Maybe you have a poor connection at one of the connectors.

#4368 1 year ago

There is no adjustment for the crane timing. You can adjust the crane height, and the angle from left to right but not its amplitude. You can also adjust the disk under the globe that determines Position1 and Position2 but that is more work and should be the last thing to try. Like I said, it might be worth checking the voltage on that magnet to see if it is strong enough. That was the problem on mine.

#4369 1 year ago

For the drop targets, I would got in switch test mode when they start to go crazy. Don't forget to close the coin door.

#4373 1 year ago

Another common problem with the crane is an axle bent backwards because the crane got caught under the backbox when lowering the playfield. This breaks the crane plastic plus it makes the crane shorter and higher. The fix is to straighten the axle the best you can. This is unlikely your problem but is worth checking for.

#4378 1 year ago

If you need to adjust your crane from left to right, there is a set screw in the back to tie the crane to its axle. You can reach the set screw through a round hole about half an inch down the top of the crane.

2 weeks later
#4402 1 year ago

It's easier to remove the ROM with an IC puller, for example https://www.amazon.com/Jonard-S-340-Insulated-Spring-Extractor/dp/B006C4BCAK
and be very careful not to bend the legs when pushing the ROM back in. Take your time.

#4404 1 year ago

...and be very careful with static electricity. You can easily fry a memory chip without ever noticing it. You should discharge any static electricity you may have on yourself by touching something grounded, like the side rails of a pinball machine, and only then start manipulating the chips. You always think this is paranoid BS until it happens to you personally...

#4410 1 year ago

Try removing the connector for the lamps (with machine off) and see what happens during play to remove that from the possibilities.

#4411 1 year ago

#4413 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

The lamps for the drop inserts?

Actually, all the lamps. You need to prove you don't have a short circuit somewhere. The lamps are off during test mode but on during game play. Just a thought, not saying this is the problem.

3 months later
#4477 1 year ago

My left flipper starts strong when booting the machine but becomes too weak to make the right ramp within the first two games. I know the coil is the correct number because I replaced it. Is your left flipper strong enough? Is the recommended coil different than what the manual says?

1 month later
#4518 1 year ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

My dmd has started to mess up. It does a scrabled thing when turned on. Game plays fine other than that. It's crazy Friday night it was perfect, and Saturday night it was messed up. Any ideas?
I did check the cables and they are connected good, also it has never done this before

On my Road Show which is very similar internally, it was the connector two boards away.

1 month later
#4543 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinologist:

Definitely run your switch test, the judge is super finicky if any optos are not working properly.

Try to clean your trough optos with a Q-tip dipped in alcool.

1 week later
#4563 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Having strange things... when i Play a game it sometimes automatically adds player 2,3,4 to the game... guess a switch is causing this... or maybe cpu board issue.
I had another CPU board on hand from a gateway and think it's same model so I swapped it together with rom L-7 and U6 chip and the CPU.
At game start it starts shooting all balls and doesn't stop shooting them back in the game, like forever.... kind of through and right shooter in permanent loop...
Is Getaway board not compatible ? or should I check something else...?

Check your trough optos. Dredd is very sensitive to flaky optos in the trough.

#4572 1 year ago
Quoted from roffels:

I've got a Dredd incoming, but the crane is out of sync with the deadworld (stock) the crane will move to pick up the ball before the ball is in place, return to its position and the ball will just fall off the Deadworld onto the playfield.
Am I in for a nightmare getting that up to speed? I'm hoping it's just some opto issue since it appeared everything was moving freely.

There is a set screw adjustment in the back of the crane near the top.
Also check that the shaft is straight. The crane can easily get caught under the backbox when lowering the playfield after lifting it up vertically, and that usually results in cracked plastics and a bent shaft.
Playing with the optos under the planet would be a last resort.

2 weeks later
#4585 1 year ago
Quoted from DystopicPinball:

Hi everyone,
I'd like to share with you the gallery of all the mods I've made for my Judge Dredd pinball!
Thank you
https://www.dystopicpinball.com/my-pinball-gallery/judge-dredd

How did you fasten the figurine in place? I tried so many glues and nothing withstands the vibrations.

1 month later
#4616 1 year ago
Quoted from Ricbec:

Ahh....I think I get it now.....so, once air raid mode is activated....a timer is started for you to shoot ball into air raid ramp, which puts ball into left shooter lane, then use left fire button to launch ball at judge targets?
If that is all correct, what needs to be done to activate air raid mode?

When the air raid light is on, shooting that ramp will deposit the ball in the left lane and the machine will wait for you to press the left fire button to aim at the rotating lit drop target.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clempo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only?tu=clempo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.