IMG_9540 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9542 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9546 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HowardHurtz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2974 5 years ago

New JD owner here curious at what setup you folks recommend for flipper travel. The flippers on my unit are strong, but unfortunately the left has the shorter stroke of the later WPC games while the right was replaced with the longer stroke of the earlier WPC games. I intend to rebuild the flips so they have equal stroke.

I initially was planning on going with the longer stroke version to help trap during multiball, but it appears the shorter travel flippers are the standard version for JD. Difficult decision..

What do you folks recommend?

1 week later
#2990 5 years ago

My JD has a minor annoyance where balls that enter the left plunger lane via the air raid ramp during multiball will get lost and just sit there. The machine will enter ball search after all the other balls drain and quickly kick it out, sometimes with an extra ball sent from the trough. As best as I can tell, it only happens when balls enter via the Air Raid ramp; balls that enter from the playfield auto-launch out as usual.

Is this a bug in the ROM? My machine has L-6. I've been treating it as part of the game, but it's feels like I'm cheating when I am able to shoot jackpots with only one ball in play since the machine still thinks the ball(s) lost in the left plunger lane is still active.

#2997 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Mine did the same thing during multiball regardless of entering through ramp or playfield. I updated the ROM to L-7 (not positive on the number, but whatever the latest is, I believe it is L-7) and everything worked as it should. I think I bought it from Matt's Basement.

Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for. I'll plan on updating to L-7 unless I decide to go with the DeadWorld mod.

1 month later
#3064 4 years ago

I finally cracked one billion and it feels so good. It probably took me about a billion games, but I'm here to tell the average Joe to stick to his/her dreams and good things can happen.

Still trying to get that Judge Death Jackpot, though. I've had it lit several times but just can't close the deal. I suck at multiball and the Jackpot on JD has got to be one of the harder ones.

#3067 4 years ago

What's one change that you think could be an improvement to an existing JD mode?

I think "Blackout" would be improved if the question mark switch was an "add a ball" instead of the bonus 10m jackpot.

2 months later
#3142 4 years ago

My drops go down fine when struck by the ball, but the center "D" has a hard time dropping when actuated by the smaller coil during multiball jackpot and safe cracker. Sometimes it will drop and others the coil will just fire over and over until the mode is over or the "D" drops from the ball.

3 weeks later
#3182 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

My Super Game doesn’t start and upon putting it into switch test the button doesn’t register. Is there supposed to be a diode on this switch? The regular start button doesn’t have one.

My supergame button has the diode and looks just like yours. My supergame button also didn't work when I first got the game. My issue was mechanical--there was too much space between the exterior button and the switch.

2 weeks later
#3193 4 years ago

Is there some kind of software limitation that keeps the replay at 396m? Mine had a replay in the 100 millions when I first got it and it crept up until it hit 396m. It has been stuck at 396m for several months--probably over a thousand games. I am wondering if I messed something up in the settings or if it just doesn't go any higher. I have the L-6 ROM.

#3195 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Not that I'm aware of...
[quoted image]

So you have run the replay above 396m?

#3199 4 years ago

I have the replay set to auto, it just won't go above 396m. I'm guessing there might be some bug or software limitation of the L6 ROM keeping it there. It's really not an issue since it's just on free play in my living room, but I was curious if anyone else observed the same.

I imagine most here have either gone with the Deadworld ROM or have upgraded to the most current L7 ROM. I have been thinking about upgrading to L7 but the revision notes don't make it seem worth the hassle unless there are a bunch of bug fixes that aren't listed in the rev notes.

#3206 4 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

I am curious about the setting for how many crime scenes it takes to award an extra ball. When I set this to a higher number it respects the setting for the first extra ball, but then always reverts to 6 crime scenes after the first is awarded.

If you leave it on default does it do 7 for the first EB then 15 for each additional? I feel like 6 per EB would lead to an infinite game as it's pretty easy to collect more than 6 crime scenes per ball.

I have L6, but I'll give it try tomorrow. I've never set it to anything other than the default 7/15.

3 weeks later
#3227 4 years ago

Does anyone else ever have issues with the center drop not dropping to expose the subway like it's supposed to during multiball and safe cracker? I lived with it for a long time but finally took the plunge and figured out the issue. The linkage on the drop coil is a poor design and took some slight modification, but I'm happy to report it is now functioning with 100% success.

#3230 4 years ago

Once I removed the drop target unit from the playfield I was able to manipulated the coil plungers by hand. It appeared that the problem was the link from the plunger to the drops was not rotating to extend the protrusion at the middle drop. Instead, the entire link was just sliding along the metal foundation without rotating.

To fix, I drilled a hole and installed a screw to keep the link from sliding along the foundation. I had to thread the screw almost all the way down so that the screw head was lightly touching the linkage, otherwise the link would ride up the screw and get caught in the threads potentially dropping more than just the center targets or preventing them from going back up.

While I was in there I also filed back some of the spacer that the drops bite into to stay up since the link seemed to sometimes ride up onto it and get out of place.

I have put this thing through the works since putting in the screw and it has been 100%. Attached is my best attempt at a photo. I wish I took photos while the assembly was out of the machine.
DSC_0674 - Edited (resized).jpgDSC_0674 - Edited (resized).jpg

1 month later
#3263 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Is the target trip switch supposed to spot the "U" drop target? I'm guessing yes, though mine just fires repeatedly and kind of wiggles the "U".
And is L7 the best rom set? I've got L6 and wonder if it's worth upgrading (I do not have the dead world mod).
I've also got an issue where it frequently ends a ball in play as if I drained, I think that must be an issue with the trough opto even though it works ok on test.

What's the "target trip switch"? I'm not aware of anything that spots a letter other than the subway so I think you have something faulty.

L7 is the most current ROM. According to the revision notes there isn't much different from L6, but L6 has a few bugs, so I have a feeling there might be some more fixes that didn't make the revision notes. I am curious to see if folks familiar with both have any examples of scoring changes.

Sounds like your last trough opto is intermittently failing. It might be worth it to invest in a new tough opto board set since the old ones have a reputation for failing.

#3270 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's been quate a while, but I contained all four evil judges during multiball the other day. Unfortunately I floundered after that.

That's a tough one and is pretty rewarding when it happens. The only more difficult achievement is getting to watch the safe guy get fried before his turkey dinner and not draining immediately after.

#3302 4 years ago

Pc 19 is a small coil with a wire attached to it--the dotted line coming out of Pc 19. The coil rotates the wire when it fires and a bend in the wire bumps the middle target. You can sort of see it in the picture on post #3230

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/65#post-5224474

2 weeks later
#3356 4 years ago
Quoted from bigballa81:

sorry if this is kind of a dumb question - but very rarely a ball won't launch out of the main shooter lane for my Dredd and no ball search gets triggered - it just remains in the shooter lane lane until i turn the game off and then on - once turned on the ball gets launched from the shooter lane and I am able to start a new game again - question is - if a ball is sitting in the shooter lane should it be eventually launching during a ball search?

I would clean every opto with q-tip and alcohol if you haven't done so recently.

What ROM do you have? I have L6 and it seems a little buggier than most WPC from that era.

#3367 4 years ago
Quoted from bigballa81:

Thanks I’ll try the q-tip thing - how do I find out what rom I have? I know my game is a prototype, but not sure the of the rom

Do you have the deadworld planet lock installed? If so, that would be some version of L-1 and probably more likely to have a bug in the code. The ROM version should be displayed on the DMD briefly at startup--it will be an L-?. L-7 is latest. L-6 is probably most common in games that haven't been updated by subsequent owners. My machine has L-6 and there are definitely some minor bugs in the code though I haven't ever experienced your issue.

The game does start to do some weird stuff when the optos are dirty and there are a lot of them, so good idea to try cleaning them all first, especially the ones under the playfield at the upkicks. It also could be the shooter lane switch or trough though I would expect ball search to work through those issues and eventually fire the ball.

1 month later
#3432 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

In the club! LEDs, ColorDMD, Deadworld Mod and Topper.
[quoted image]

Welcome. JD has great dots and is an awesome candidate for color DMD.

1 week later
#3440 4 years ago

I checked on my Dredd out on location today. Played a game to make sure everything was working and it went bonkers during multiball. It held an eternal ball save--four balls until I killed the game through the menu buttons! I played a couple of games after that and everything seemed fine. I sort of remember something like that happening during ultimate challenge once back when I had it at home.

I am going to upgrade to L7 and hopefully eliminate some of the bugs.

#3443 4 years ago
Quoted from altan:

In my experience I've only seen this happen when you have ball through problems.

That was my first thought as well, but I wouldn't have expected it to keep shooting all four balls like that... I replaced the opto side of my trough not that long ago--maybe I should try replacing the receiver side if it happens again.

From what I remember of the buggy UC round way back, the game was also playing the wrong audio bites as if the ROM was caught up in buggy programming. U6 is definitely not as polished as the usual B/W ROM from that era.

#3448 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

A couple of questions I have: Is the sound kind on these machines normally flat? It doesn't sound like the bottom speaker is putting out a lot of audio. Also, are there any common issues I should scout for to see if they need to be remediated on my machine? I just printed a hard copy of the manual today and got it spiral bound, so I'm starting to go through it, but tips from the community are always appreciated!
[quoted image]

The sound on mine is quite good for an old machine--I would not describe it as flat.

Common problem areas are dirty optos, failed trough optos, sticky drop targets, and crane adjustment if you are running the deadworld mod.

1 month later
#3505 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

Can I? Lol... I just installed and left them. I guess I really should read directions more. I'll play with it and see sometime. If it can look like the LED, then no reason to not go LCD since you can change it up!

My Dredd has the standard DMD, but I recently got the color LCD for another game. The only advantages of the LED from what I can tell is that it can be set brighter and there isn't any setback inside the backbox. The setback issue is really minor and I think most folks won't even have the brightness maxed out on the LCD anyway. I think the LCD is the way to go since having the choice between the different rendering options is pretty sweet.

1 week later
#3518 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

Why...WHY? Why can't people just spend the $1 and fix these things the right way the first time?

Maybe an op back in the day that didn't have one on hand and wanted the game making money again?

#3522 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I’ve never understood this line of reasoning. DMD pinball machines were NOT designed to have just a 3-5 year shelf life. Remember, when you walked into an arcade back in the day, there would commonly be SS and even some EM machines in the arcades. When Dredd was released, it could very easily go on location and sit next to a Bally SS from the early 80s.

I don't remember this. Once DMD hit the scene, the arcades that I went to phased out the alpha numeric and older machines in the next few years. I never saw an EM or very early SS on location in the early to mid 90's. The closest would be an occasional games like F-14 or Space Shuttle if the place had a lot of games.

#3526 4 years ago

If the goal was a 3 to 5 year service life than the designers must have went way, way overboard based on all the games still chugging along just fine. I know an older game does require occasional maintenance and adjustments, but it really doesn't take much effort at all to keep these 25 year old games going when you consider all the pieces and parts that have to work together.

The red (and green to a lesser extent) ink on the cabinet art faithfully stuck to the 3 to 5 year rule. I often see pinside posts with some red remaining on the cabinet, but almost every game from the era I see in real life has 100% faded.

1 month later
#3617 4 years ago

Dredd is one of the darkest playfields from the era in my opinion. Nothing a few 2SMD and strategically placed super bright LED bulbs can't handle, but it must have been a hard to see in a dark room when outfitted with standard incandescent bulbs. It would be a great candidate for pinstadiums or spots.

1 week later
#3630 4 years ago

The outer portion of my Supergame switch stopped making mechanical contact with the inner small plunger. After adjusting the alignment it has been fine ever since.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
$ 40.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HowardHurtz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only?tu=HowardHurtz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.