IMG_1882 (resized).JPG
IMG_1879 (resized).JPG
IMG_1880 (resized).JPG
IMG_1881 (resized).JPG
IMG_4885 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4884 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4883 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG

There are 4,836 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 97.
#4551 1 year ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

Check out this YouTube video of a JD restore from CaptNRetro:

The moment I see someone using channel locks instead a hex head to remove the flipper coil, I'm out on their "restoration" skills.

#4552 1 year ago
Quoted from themotherbrain:

KoP I finally had a chance to pull the glass and do a switch test. It's coming up as switch 32. Haven't tried the M1A yet. I'd love to know whats in the changelog as well. The proto L1 rom however seems to work as intended on my game. The only issue I've had is it ejecting 2 balls into the shooter lane occasionally after a lock. It's only happening once in awhile so thinking it's dirty/dying trough opto thing? I feel like multi ball would also launch an extra ball once in awhile while using the previous rom (L6).
Here is a pic of my opto placement for reference.
[quoted image]

If it's switch 32 you have a sample/early production game. L1 will work, but L1AT and L-1D not.
L1/L1AT and L-1D are very picky about the opto's, much more so than L-6/L-7. It doesn't have to be a trough opto, but is the best place to start.
For more info, contact me.

#4553 1 year ago
Quoted from robotron911:

The moment I see someone using channel locks instead a hex head to remove the flipper coil, I'm out on their "restoration" skills.

I don't think CaptNRetro claims to be a professional pinball restorer. He shared his JD experience. One may not agree with the how things are done, but it is always interesting to see what has been done. Personally, I'm glad that he shared his videos with others.

#4554 1 year ago

Hey everybody, I'm doing general cleanup and replacement for various things on the Judge Dredd I picked up a few weeks ago and I had some general questions I was hoping people could help out with.

-Is there a good set of paint markers for general cabinet art touchups that people recommend?

-Same question for for cleanup on the plastics?

-The Eagle Topper could also use some touchups. I thought about going super shiny gold, but now I think keeping it similar to the apron finish might be best. Anybody have a particular spray paint color/finish they have used with good results?

-I do want to get the legs, lockdown bar, and trim powder coated. I really do like the few I have seen that are that dusty gold that match the apron. Again, anybody have a particular color/finish to pass on for that? Also have you seen any other colors used on a Dredd that looked awesome?

-I replaced the speakers and sound board in Dredd with the pinsound audio board and speakers. I honestly don't hear much of a difference in quality, so I assume that's just the way it is with Dredd? I've only tried the original sounds, and then the Captn Mix. Is there another one that really ups the sound quality? I'm planning on putting the original audio board back into Dredd, add some new speakers, and take the pinsound board and speakers and put them in my T2 instead.

Any feedback is appreciated, and I'm documenting everything so I can post before and after pics when finished.
Thanks!

#4555 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Hey everybody, I'm doing general cleanup and replacement for various things on the Judge Dredd I picked up a few weeks ago and I had some general questions I was hoping people could help out with.
-Is there a good set of paint markers for general cabinet art touchups that people recommend?
-Same question for for cleanup on the plastics?
-The Eagle Topper could also use some touchups. I thought about going super shiny gold, but now I think keeping it similar to the apron finish might be best. Anybody have a particular spray paint color/finish they have used with good results?
-I do want to get the legs, lockdown bar, and trim powder coated. I really do like the few I have seen that are that dusty gold that match the apron. Again, anybody have a particular color/finish to pass on for that? Also have you seen any other colors used on a Dredd that looked awesome?
-I replaced the speakers and sound board in Dredd with the pinsound audio board and speakers. I honestly don't hear much of a difference in quality, so I assume that's just the way it is with Dredd? I've only tried the original sounds, and then the Captn Mix. Is there another one that really ups the sound quality? I'm planning on putting the original audio board back into Dredd, add some new speakers, and take the pinsound board and speakers and put them in my T2 instead.
Any feedback is appreciated, and I'm documenting everything so I can post before and after pics when finished.
Thanks!

I’ve installed the Pinsound speakers, sound board, and shaker motor in mine, and the speakers make a world of difference over the originals. The amount of bass and tone you can adjust just makes the game tremble.

#4556 1 year ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I’ve installed the Pinsound speakers, sound board, and shaker motor in mine, and the speakers make a world of difference over the originals. The amount of bass and tone you can adjust just makes the game tremble.

Do you have the Neo or the Plus board? I just have the Neo, so not much to tune there correct? Are there also adjustments for audio tweaking in the test menu I'm missing?

#4557 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Do you have the Neo or the Plus board? I just have the Neo, so not much to tune there correct? Are there also adjustments for audio tweaking in the test menu I'm missing?

I bought the ultimate package for the game, so it included the plus board. It’s amazing the amount of sound it can produce…especially out of the pinsound speakers/subwoofer.

#4558 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

I do want to get the legs, lockdown bar, and trim powder coated. I really do like the few I have seen that are that dusty gold that match the apron. Again, anybody have a particular color/finish to pass on for that? Also have you seen any other colors used on a Dredd that looked awesome?

I will be getting my metal bits back hopefully next week for my restoration and can post them here, we will see. I had the legs, trim, etc powder coated CAN-AM Gold 17 and the wire forms Illusion Money. These colors are listed on Prismaticpowders.com

#4559 1 year ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I bought the ultimate package for the game, so it included the plus board. It’s amazing the amount of sound it can produce…especially out of the pinsound speakers/subwoofer.

It seems I chose the wrong board...

#4560 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I will be getting my metal bits back hopefully next week for my restoration and can post them here, we will see. I had the legs, trim, etc powder coated CAN-AM Gold 17 and the wire forms Illusion Money. These colors are listed on Prismaticpowders.com

Nice! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

#4561 1 year ago

Picking mine up today. Trading a Starship Troopers for it to Little Shop of Games in FL. Very excited!

#4562 1 year ago

Having strange things... when i Play a game it sometimes automatically adds player 2,3,4 to the game... guess a switch is causing this... or maybe cpu board issue.

I had another CPU board on hand from a gateway and think it's same model so I swapped it together with rom L-7 and U6 chip and the CPU.

At game start it starts shooting all balls and doesn't stop shooting them back in the game, like forever.... kind of through and right shooter in permanent loop...

Is Getaway board not compatible ? or should I check something else...?

#4563 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Having strange things... when i Play a game it sometimes automatically adds player 2,3,4 to the game... guess a switch is causing this... or maybe cpu board issue.
I had another CPU board on hand from a gateway and think it's same model so I swapped it together with rom L-7 and U6 chip and the CPU.
At game start it starts shooting all balls and doesn't stop shooting them back in the game, like forever.... kind of through and right shooter in permanent loop...

Check your trough optos. Dredd is very sensitive to flaky optos in the trough.

#4564 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

This can be caused by a flaky "top trough" opto, switch 87. The game thinks a ball is jammed up there.

#4565 1 year ago

I have a Dredd that I've solved a lot of things with it over the years but I'm having trouble with the right fire button and can't figure out why it isn't working. Left fire button tests closed in switch test.

Right fire button switch will not register closed. I cannot play a game as I cannot launch a ball.

Pins look good at the 5 diode switch and lamp assembly. Diodes check out good there also. Wires ring out good from switch to the CPU board at J212. Wires ring out good to the coin interface board.

At this point, I hit a brick wall. And an oddball. My pins are connected at J206 & J208 rather than what the print calls for at J207 & J209. It has always been this way and I never noticed it until now. WTF on that one and not sure why mine is the way it is.

Anyway......as the pins all look relatively good am I looking at a logic issue at the CPU?

Dredd CPU (resized).jpgDredd CPU (resized).jpg
#4566 1 year ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

I have a Dredd that I've solved a lot of things with it over the years but I'm having trouble with the right fire button and can't figure out why it isn't working. Left fire button tests closed in switch test.
Right fire button switch will not register closed. I cannot play a game as I cannot launch a ball.
Pins look good at the 5 diode switch and lamp assembly. Diodes check out good there also. Wires ring out good from switch to the CPU board at J212. Wires ring out good to the coin interface board.
At this point, I hit a brick wall. And an oddball. My pins are connected at J206 & J208 rather than what the print calls for at J207 & J209. It has always been this way and I never noticed it until now. WTF on that one and not sure why mine is the way it is.
Anyway......as the pins all look relatively good am I looking at a logic issue at the CPU?
[quoted image]

Did you try a different switch at the right flipper?

Put the left one at the right position and see what you get…

#4567 1 year ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Did you try a different switch at the right flipper?
Put the left one at the right position and see what you get…

Thanks for the reply there...........I wish it was just a switch. I tried that. The circuit will not register closed.

#4568 1 year ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Thanks for the reply there...........I wish it was just a switch. I tried that. The circuit will not register closed.

Did you try closing it at the board, or only at the switch? That will tell you that the problem is at the board.

#4569 1 year ago

Sold - I’ve got these plastics and decals, but no game. If you want them, just shoot me $5 to cover shipping. DM me - SOLD

41F7B1AE-C936-49FD-A4D5-A4808500EA5A (resized).jpeg41F7B1AE-C936-49FD-A4D5-A4808500EA5A (resized).jpeg

#4570 1 year ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

I’ve got these plastics and decals, but no game. If you want them, just shoot me $5 to cover shipping. DM me
[quoted image]

Message sent. I could use these.

#4571 1 year ago

I've got a Dredd incoming, but the crane is out of sync with the deadworld (stock) the crane will move to pick up the ball before the ball is in place, return to its position and the ball will just fall off the Deadworld onto the playfield.

Am I in for a nightmare getting that up to speed? I'm hoping it's just some opto issue since it appeared everything was moving freely.

#4572 1 year ago
Quoted from roffels:

I've got a Dredd incoming, but the crane is out of sync with the deadworld (stock) the crane will move to pick up the ball before the ball is in place, return to its position and the ball will just fall off the Deadworld onto the playfield.
Am I in for a nightmare getting that up to speed? I'm hoping it's just some opto issue since it appeared everything was moving freely.

There is a set screw adjustment in the back of the crane near the top.
Also check that the shaft is straight. The crane can easily get caught under the backbox when lowering the playfield after lifting it up vertically, and that usually results in cracked plastics and a bent shaft.
Playing with the optos under the planet would be a last resort.

#4573 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

There is a set screw adjustment in the back of the crane near the top.
Also check that the shaft is straight. The crane can easily get caught under the backbox when lowering the playfield after lifting it up vertically, and that usually results in cracked plastics and a bent shaft.
Playing with the optos under the planet would be a last resort.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to bringing it home and giving it a full shop job.

#4574 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Hey did you get these back yet? How did they turn out?

#4575 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Still waiting. Will give them a call tomorrow and check the status. Should be any day now. Once I get them I will post pics of them.

#4576 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Hey did you get these back yet?

Called the powder coat shop today. They said they were a little behind, but should have the parts back next week. I will post them as soon as I pick them up. Really looking forward to the wire form color.

#4577 1 year ago

I was swapping out leds under the playfield and saw this board is looking rough. Is it worth seeking out a replacement if there doesn’t “currently” seem to be any issues even when it looks this bad? And if so, any idea on where to look? Google failed me in searching those numbers.
Thanks

010A73C9-C8B2-4C66-BA6D-005B614E565D (resized).jpeg010A73C9-C8B2-4C66-BA6D-005B614E565D (resized).jpeg0D1E8E11-F98B-4062-A7BA-5632A1C8C2A1 (resized).jpeg0D1E8E11-F98B-4062-A7BA-5632A1C8C2A1 (resized).jpeg
#4578 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

I was swapping out leds under the playfield and saw this board is looking rough. Is it worth seeking out a replacement if there doesn’t “currently” seem to be any issues even when it looks this bad? And if so, any idea on where to look? Google failed me in searching those numbers.
Thanks[quoted image][quoted image]

I would wash the board and resolder any cracked solder connections. It should clean up.

#4579 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Well I received the powder coated parts today. They actually reversed my color request however I think this will work in my favor. I originally wanted the body armor to match the gold on the skirt and green on the wire forms. Somehow they reversed it, but I think this will be actually better! The green will pull out the green on the cabinet art and the metal bits on the playfield (wire forms and skirt) will all match.

Once I get the time to finish the cabinet I will post the results good or bad. At least the shop will redo the parts as needed for free if I’m unhappy.

54445773-523B-45C2-9A6E-A8DFC89BCF8E (resized).jpeg54445773-523B-45C2-9A6E-A8DFC89BCF8E (resized).jpegD59BA9A1-C192-41D7-A78C-57C1B8F53DF4 (resized).jpegD59BA9A1-C192-41D7-A78C-57C1B8F53DF4 (resized).jpegFB9D5FA8-1846-4445-A792-9E781AD8D362 (resized).jpegFB9D5FA8-1846-4445-A792-9E781AD8D362 (resized).jpeg
#4580 1 year ago

Oh wow that is interesting. Yeah I'm really curious to see how how it all looks. Is there a specific "gold" color that is? Like a "dusty gold"? I'm almost done fixing mine up and am going to think about powder coating really soon.

#4583 1 year ago

This is probably a long shot but does anybody know of a source for high res scans of the decals for the plastics for JD?

#4584 1 year ago

Hi everyone,
I'd like to share with you the gallery of all the mods I've made for my Judge Dredd pinball!
Thank you

https://www.dystopicpinball.com/my-pinball-gallery/judge-dredd

#4585 1 year ago
Quoted from DystopicPinball:

Hi everyone,
I'd like to share with you the gallery of all the mods I've made for my Judge Dredd pinball!
Thank you

How did you fasten the figurine in place? I tried so many glues and nothing withstands the vibrations.

#4586 1 year ago

Hi everyone,
Thank you

That looks great! I'm on the fence for a color DMD for this one. Looks great in your pictures.
I'm getting the finishing touches on mine right now. I have the same tower cooling mods you have, did you hook them up to the GI, or did you hook them up to the locks for meltdown?

#4587 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

That looks great! I'm on the fence for a color DMD for this one. Looks great in your pictures.
I'm getting the finishing touches on mine right now. I have the same tower cooling mods you have, did you hook them up to the GI, or did you hook them up to the locks for meltdown?

tower 1 connected to lock 1, tower 2 connected to lock 2 etc. So you can check multiball status just watching towers

2023-03-02_09h33_14 (resized).png2023-03-02_09h33_14 (resized).png
#4588 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

That looks great! I'm on the fence for a color DMD for this one.

I got my JD about 6 months ago. A previous owner had installed a color DMD. I think this is one of the best games for a color DMD, as they did a great job of color matching the comic book style artwork.

- Mark

#4589 1 year ago
Quoted from Shaker:

I got my JD about 6 months ago. A previous owner had installed a color DMD. I think this is one of the best games for a color DMD, as they did a great job of color matching the comic book style artwork.
- Mark

Yeah that's awesome. Is it LCD or LED?
Also, is there much of a difference with Color DMD vs Pin2DMD for Judge Dredd? Any thoughts there?

#4590 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Also, is there much of a difference with Color DMD vs Pin2DMD for Judge Dredd? Any thoughts there?

The person working on colorizing Dredd for Pin2DMD abandoned it before finishing, I'd be curious to know how far they got.

#4591 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

My JD has the LCD. When I bought it, I changed the display mode to "dot", as God intended.

Unfortunately, I've never seen the LED display in person.

- Mark

#4592 1 year ago

tower 1 connected to lock 1, tower 2 connected to lock 2 etc. So you can check multiball status just watching towers[quoted image]

I’m curious, I hooked mine up tonight with alligator clips and it seemed to all be working fine but while going through in individual light tests several then trigger multiple lights from different spots. When I disconnect the tower wires they work fine. Any thoughts?

#4593 1 year ago

So I ran into an issue with the “Extra Ball” button lamp not working. The button works fine, just the lamp is out. Tried other bulbs, nothing. Even switched out the bulb holder, nothing. I traced the 2 lamp yellow and red wires back to the 5 DIODE SW LMP & SPCR ASSY board and I don’t see any burn spots so I’m not sure what’s goin on. Any thoughts?
Thanks

BF02B0EE-B846-4CC4-800E-AB525FC58D45 (resized).jpegBF02B0EE-B846-4CC4-800E-AB525FC58D45 (resized).jpegFFE17924-A041-41B2-8D12-11F02FF2D32F (resized).jpegFFE17924-A041-41B2-8D12-11F02FF2D32F (resized).jpeg
#4594 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

So I ran into an issue with the “Extra Ball” button lamp not working. The button works fine, just the lamp is out. Tried other bulbs, nothing. Even switched out the bulb holder, nothing. I traced the 2 lamp yellow and red wires back to the 5 DIODE SW LMP & SPCR ASSY board and I don’t see any burn spots so I’m not sure what’s goin on. Any thoughts?
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

Check the red/grey at the other connector, J2.
Red looks loose.

Screenshot_20230304_091009_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230304_091009_Chrome (resized).jpg
#4595 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

Check the red/grey at the other connector, J2.
Red looks loose.[quoted image]

Good call. It was a bit. I fixed it and now the light kinda works. It’s barely getting power so the light is very faint. I hooked it up to the Start button wires and it was nice and bright.

So I’m going to try new connectors and see if that fixes it, then new wires I guess and hope it’s one of those two things.

#4596 1 year ago
Quoted from roffels:

Officially a member. The crane issue was solved by adjusting the black opto interupter disc for the Dead World.

I still need to properly shop the top side. I'm keeping an eye out for the large plastic above the captive balls, a good chunk of mine is missing. Also the weld on the ball return above the left slingshot is separated, so it's not playing 100%.

20230305_160841 (resized).jpg20230305_160841 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4597 1 year ago

Welp, leaving the club (ish). Had to make roome for Twilight Zone, and my father in law said he would like to have JD. As such, I'll still get to visit it

PXL_20230317_224125037 (resized).jpgPXL_20230317_224125037 (resized).jpg
#4598 1 year ago
Quoted from trolldownstairs:

Welp, leaving the club (ish). Had to make roome for Twilight Zone, and my father in law said he would like to have JD. As such, I'll still get to visit it
[quoted image]

Well congrats.Keeping it in the family !! That's a great way to make room for another wide-body!

#4599 1 year ago

I was attempting to put on side blades today and hit a few snags.

The first is this wood panel running along the top under the backbox. If I put the back of the decal there, then I can’t fit the entire decal along the inside length, it overshoots the front near the plungers. Thankfully it doesn’t butt right up against the side, so I can slide the decal between it and the cab.

However if I do that, there is then another board in front of the previous that blocks the decal from being able to be flush with the top inside of the cab, and that one does butt right up to the cab so I can’t slide the decal between it like I can the other one.

I’m wondering if anybody else’s cab has these?

B572FAEF-3691-428C-BC80-609CEDAFEF95 (resized).jpegB572FAEF-3691-428C-BC80-609CEDAFEF95 (resized).jpeg
#4600 1 year ago

Scissors and trim 2 notches out
C98C0D16-A6D6-4433-A19E-222B0121F1A3 (resized).jpegC98C0D16-A6D6-4433-A19E-222B0121F1A3 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus
(Alt) Translites
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,836 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/92?hl=trolldownstairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.