IMG_9540 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9542 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9546 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
There are 4,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 98.
#4301 2 years ago

Just joined the club. The machine is in real nice shape with no Tech alerts. It seems to play well so far. It does have the Dead World Mod. My first question is on this I was able to lock two balls on the World, but not the 3rd during play. The game did not drop the balls after the game, and when I started another game the two balls stayed on the ring. The game did not do a ball search. Is this normal for the Dead World Mod?? I am going to do a complete topside teardown for a clean and wax, change all rubbers, balls. Any suggestions on any other tweaks??

#4302 2 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Just joined the club. The machine is in real nice shape with no Tech alerts. It seems to play well so far. It does have the Dead World Mod. My first question is on this I was able to lock two balls on the World, but not the 3rd during play. The game did not drop the balls after the game, and when I started another game the two balls stayed on the ring. The game did not do a ball search. Is this normal for the Dead World Mod?? I am going to do a complete topside teardown for a clean and wax, change all rubbers, balls. Any suggestions on any other tweaks??

That's normal behavior for the Deadworld mod, it remembers that the balls are there between games. If you turn it off and back on, it will do a ball search when you hit start and retrieve the two that were locked. If it bugs you just enable the extra ball purchase and use that to clear it out.

#4303 2 years ago
Quoted from Harrumph:

That's normal behavior for the Deadworld mod, it remembers that the balls are there between games. If you turn it off and back on, it will do a ball search when you hit start and retrieve the two that were locked. If it bugs you just enable the extra ball purchase and use that to clear it out.

Thank you. Are there updated ROMs for sound or game play I should be looking for? I have all new rubber, tilt graphics stuff, and Coment LEDs coming. It has a Cointaker LED kit, but I need to get it lit better in the back of the playfield.

#4304 2 years ago

L7 has many bugs fixed and is the version to go to if you plan on unattended play or tournament use. L1AT (or the improved L1D) is the one with dead world locking for home play.
The only difference in sound roms I am aware of is that early versions say "dimensional lock 1/2/3" versus "dimensional phase 1/2/3". Both work with either main rom though.

1 week later
#4305 2 years ago

Can some post a pic of the through 7 opto boards connectors for each board. I have new boards coming, and one of my boards has the wires saudered to the board and not in the connector.

#4306 2 years ago

Some pics of the through opto, and driver board. Even with the hacks I only have the through opto #2 tech alert. The machine does play great even with the hole in the board.

20220329_110916 (resized).jpg20220329_110916 (resized).jpg20220329_110928 (resized).jpg20220329_110928 (resized).jpg20220329_111009 (resized).jpg20220329_111009 (resized).jpg20220329_135531 (resized).jpg20220329_135531 (resized).jpg20220329_135547 (resized).jpg20220329_135547 (resized).jpg
#4307 2 years ago

Got a bunch of Judge Dredd parts and ramps if anyone needs something let me know.
Black Out and Stake Out ramp look good besides the entrance flaps.
Air Raid has a crack but can be repaired with Scigrip and should hold up fine.
Main Ramp is missing a chunk at the entrance but the rest looks fine.
Subway is just dirty pretty sure that is a JD part, stuff is getting all mixed up
Under playfield light thing has a crack also could be repaired and hold up fine.

20220330_093539 (resized).jpg20220330_093539 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4308 2 years ago

I bent my crane while lowering the playfield. I know it's very common but I didn't know at that time. I straightened the crane shaft the best I could and put it back. Everything seems normal but now I'm having a hard time adjusting the crane to pick up the balls. Is this repair supposed to work or the tolerances are such that my only hope is to buy a new crane shaft?

#4309 2 years ago

That adjustment is a pita to do, but it should work with a slightly bent shaft too (mine isn't straight either)..

#4310 2 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

That adjustment is a pita to do, but it should work with a slightly bent shaft too (mine isn't straight either)..

Good to hear.
My crane magnet is pretty weak compared to the videos I've seen. Is there anything I should be looking for to improve the magnet strength?

#4311 2 years ago

Make sure that you test the crane magnet during normal play. Apparently the magnet is weaker in test mode for some reason.

Quoted from clempo:

Good to hear.
My crane magnet is pretty weak compared to the videos I've seen. Is there anything I should be looking for to improve the magnet strength?

#4312 2 years ago
Quoted from Preacher:

Make sure that you test the crane magnet during normal play. Apparently the magnet is weaker in test mode for some reason.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

I discovered the globe moves slowly whenever the magnet is on. The magnet is weak because it loses power to the globe motor. That's obviously a bad connection somewhere since my friend confirmed it does not happen on his machine. I will continue to look for the electric problem tonight.

#4313 2 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
I discovered the globe moves slowly whenever the magnet is on. The magnet is weak because it loses power to the globe motor. That's obviously a bad connection somewhere since my friend confirmed it does not happen on his machine. I will continue to look for the electric problem tonight.

Also you may have aready done this , but check and make sure you use that coin door clip that presses and keeps the high power button down as if the coin door is closed and allows the high power going to the coils and motors. Without it installed the crane magnet and globe motor will not have enough power to function properly. Good luck.

If this isn't something you have covered already go to my post #4011, where I posted a picture of the clip I am referring too.

#4314 2 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of my interrupter switch. The manual calls for a double switch. I believe mine has been hacked. There is no voltage cutoff when I open the coin door. Here is a couple more pics of the transformer wiring, and wiring on the left side of the cabinet. Does this look normal to anyone? Also my machine seems to work perfectly I do have the dredd world mod. I have replaced the trough opto boards as mine were hacked. I did get a through opto 2 error last night, but cleared it with a switch test. Could this be a glitch with the dredd world mod?

20220408_111441 (resized).jpg20220408_111441 (resized).jpg20220408_111514 (resized).jpg20220408_111514 (resized).jpg20220408_111609 (resized).jpg20220408_111609 (resized).jpg20220408_111618 (resized).jpg20220408_111618 (resized).jpg20220408_111635 (resized).jpg20220408_111635 (resized).jpg
#4315 2 years ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

Also you may have aready done this , but check and make sure you use that coin door clip that presses and keeps the high power button down as if the coin door is closed and allows the high power going to the coils and motors. Without it installed the crane magnet and globe motor will not have enough power to function properly. Good luck.
If this isn't something you have covered already go to my post #4011, where I posted a picture of the clip I am referring too.

Thanks for the advice. I now believe my crane is more affected by the globe that keeps moving than the weak magnet because the ball is no longer under the crane by the time it tries to pick it up.

#4316 2 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of my interrupter switch. The manual calls for a double switch. I believe mine has been hacked. There is no voltage cutoff when I open the coin door. Here is a couple more pics of the transformer wiring, and wiring on the left side of the cabinet. Does this look normal to anyone? Also my machine seems to work perfectly I do have the dredd world mod. I have replaced the trough opto boards as mine were hacked. I did get a through opto 2 error last night, but cleared it with a switch test. Could this be a glitch with the dredd world mod?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Same "lockout" behavior with my machine. Only one switch is installed, so HV remains on despite the message on the DMD. Switch, mount and wiring look just like yours, and I am pretty sure it's original. Maybe they switched to installing proper lockouts some time during early production..
Don't have the game here, but I am pretty sure the wiring harness looks also mostly the same - I do remember the round whitish connector thingies. Only the clear one in yours looks like it's been added later.
Trough errors: Pull, check and reseat the connectors to both boards at the trough before fiddling with the boards themselves, these tend to loosen over time.

#4317 2 years ago

Cynric thanks for the info. I replaced both through boards with new ones. I'll check and see if the connection came loose. On my old board two the wires were soldered right to the board

#4318 2 years ago

The manual calls for a double switch. I believe mine has been hacked. There is no voltage cutoff when I open the coin door.

This is done in the factory with an intermediate connector. The factory either did not install it or it has been removed - along with the DPDT interlock switch at the coin door. If I were a betting person I suspect it was never installed at the factory. I have an Indiana Jones (not mine) in my possession that has exactly the same thing. No intermediate connector and no DPDT interlock switch.

jd_transformer_secondary.jpgjd_transformer_secondary.jpg

Here is a couple more pics of the transformer wiring, and wiring on the left side of the cabinet. Does this look normal to anyone?

You have a few more hacks to undo if you want to achieve factory nirvana.

jd_coin_door_buttons.jpgjd_coin_door_buttons.jpg
jd_transformer_wires_cut.jpgjd_transformer_wires_cut.jpg

#4319 2 years ago

DumbAss, thank you for the help. I think at this point since the machine functions as it should "as far as I can tell" I'll leave it be. With my luck I'd mess it up, and end up spending more on it than I would want. I already replaced the DMD board, and Driver Board with Rottendog boards. Now if I could find a new wiring harness to just replace the hacked ones I would do that.

1 week later
#4320 2 years ago

Hi, after storing my JD for 5 years I have finally got around to shopping it. Pleased with the results and love the game. A few picks:

IMG_20220419_104532468_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220419_104532468_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220419_104549263_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220419_104549263_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220419_104559953_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220419_104559953_HDR (resized).jpg
#4321 2 years ago

However, I feel a bit short changed that the balls dont lock on the planet. From what I have found it seems that to make this work I need:

1. A new ring with holes rather than slot. I have a contact with a laser cutter that can probably make this for me; anyone have a dxf file available?

2. L1 or L1AT EPROM. What is the difference between them? Do I need the L1AT version? Where can I find the file? I have my own EPROM burner.

3. Modification to a opto board or creation of a small signal intercept board, and some wiring changes.

Is the above a fair summary of the work needed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

#4322 2 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

However, I feel a bit short changed that the balls dont lock on the planet. From what I have found it seems that to make this work I need:
1. A new ring with holes rather than slot. I have a contact with a laser cutter that can probably make this for me; anyone have a dxf file available?
2. L1 or L1AT EPROM. What is the difference between them? Do I need the L1AT version? Where can I find the file? I have my own EPROM burner.
3. Modification to a opto board or creation of a small signal intercept board, and some wiring changes.
Is the above a fair summary of the work needed?
Thanks in advance for any help.

1. They are available for sale on pinside

2. Consider the L1-D rom as well. Search in this thread for details

3. No extra optical sensors required, just make sure all your existing ones are working properly

#4323 2 years ago
Quoted from Meldenhut:

Consider the L1-D rom as well. Search in this thread for details

There is also some hope that soren will also be coding a new Dredd ROM. It has been discussed in his thread. I think if it happens you will get the Dead World Locking mod of L-1 with the bug fixes/ball shooter logic of L-7. I have been holding out on doing the Dead World L-1 for this reason. He has done 7 Bally/Williams updates so far I think.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades

#4324 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

There is also some hope that soren will also be coding a new Dredd ROM. It has been discussed in his thread. I think if it happens you will get the Dead World Locking mod of L-1 with the bug fixes/ball shooter logic of L-7. I have been holding out on doing the Dead World L-1 for this reason. He has done 7 Bally/Williams updates so far I think.

Having read everything Ithink that I will hold off too. Many thanks.

#4325 2 years ago

If you change your mind, the ring is also available on pinballlife https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=dredd%20ring

#4326 2 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

If you change your mind, the ring is also available on pinballlife https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=dredd%20ring

Thanks for the link. With postage and increasingly high import duties to the EU I think that it will be cheaper to make my own!

#4327 2 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

Thanks for the link. With postage and increasingly high import duties to the EU I think that it will be cheaper to make my own!

If you just want to try it, a bit of cardboard and tape on each slit in the ring can do the job.

#4328 2 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

If you just want to try it, a bit of cardboard and tape on each slit in the ring can do the job.

I've got the L1-D file now so I must just have to give it a go!

#4329 2 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

You can save a few bucks by ordering the ring from my pinside shop including a few more options than this other vendor has. Plus you are supporting pinside by purchasing through a pinside shop. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/04276-judge-dredd-deadworld

#4330 2 years ago
Quoted from ddebuss:

You can save a few bucks by ordering the ring from my pinside shop including a few more options than this other vendor has. Plus you are supporting pinside by purchasing through a pinside shop. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/04276-judge-dredd-deadworld

Thanks. They look like great products at a great price, but shipping and EU import duties tends to make the end price much more than the part.

#4331 1 year ago

I have some mods I can have a trusted friend bring to Allentown. If interested PM.
-Judge Dredd Cooling Towers Mod by Dystopic Pinball (never installed) $90.00
-Judge Dredd Medisynl Sniper Tower - Discontinued $95.00 or Highest offer.

#4332 1 year ago

I also have:
- Judge Dredd Metal Active Crane Mod (sold by judge-dredds-pinball on eBay) $90.00

#4333 1 year ago

Just finished 3 interactive Sniper Tower mods. These fit over the original Sniper tower plastic and connect to the GI socket underneath to light the main windows and connect to the 555 quick change bulb for the sniper window, with Sniper figure, to light when the sniper is shooting in Sniper mode and on the attract mode. Includes alligator clips or cut and solder wires. $89 plus shipping.

20220427_181333 (resized).jpg20220427_181333 (resized).jpg20220331_143215 (resized).jpg20220331_143215 (resized).jpg20220427_181411 (1) (resized).jpg20220427_181411 (1) (resized).jpg

20220307_160614 (1) (resized).jpg20220307_160614 (1) (resized).jpg
#4334 1 year ago
Quoted from StarWarsTurtles:

Just finished 3 interactive Sniper Tower mods. These fit over the original Sniper tower plastic and connect to the GI socket underneath to light the main windows and connect to the 555 quick change bulb for the sniper window, with Sniper figure, to light when the sniper is shooting in Sniper mode and on the attract mode. Includes alligator clips or cut and solder wires. $89 plus shipping.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice, especially since the other sniper tower mod is no longer in production.

#4335 1 year ago

I made these prototype sniper tower plastics a while ago and have some extras. They're not 100% perfect but you'll never notice it once they're on your game. $5/ea shipped to USA.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4336 1 year ago

Just installed a pretty sweet crane mod made by @Davi. I'm loving how it turned out!

IMG_20220430_134034_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20220430_134034_01 (resized).jpg
#4337 1 year ago

Is there a selection in the menu somewhere to empty the pinballs from the ball trough before raising the playfield? I see there’s a selection for unloading the globe, but that’s about it. It’s a pain trying to get them out manually.

#4338 1 year ago
Quoted from binary01:

Is there a selection in the menu somewhere to empty the pinballs from the ball trough before raising the playfield? I see there’s a selection for unloading the globe, but that’s about it. It’s a pain trying to get them out manually.

I don’t believe there is. The game doesn’t stage balls so they are all in the trough. I agree it is annoying popping them out!

#4339 1 year ago

Stick a rolled up shop towel/hand towel into the shooter lane to block the balls from rolling out as you lift the playfeild. Or better yet this is what I did: cut a strip of Styrofoam about the same width as the shooter lane and wrap it in duct tape. Just slide it into the shooter lane whenever you want to lift the playfeild.

16513744379251473292478287416398 (resized).jpg16513744379251473292478287416398 (resized).jpg16513746021925006416303671990396 (resized).jpg16513746021925006416303671990396 (resized).jpg
#4340 1 year ago

I bought the Mantis version of the JD ball trough and it has a closeable exit that you can flip up to keep the balls in there when you lift the playfield. I had my game fully restored, so it made sense to put in the upgraded ball trough.

#4341 1 year ago

What’s a good Ultimate Challenge score? I don’t think I’ve ever had a real good one. Tonight I had a great game, 737 million and made it to ultimate challenge both by completing the modes and by getting the jackpots in Multiball. I got 50 million each time. I’ve probably been to ultimate challenge a dozen times in the 3 months I’ve had the game and doubt I’ve ever gotten over 100 million in it, I don’t remember every score. I’m thinking the best albeit most boring strategy would be to trap up on the right and then just hit the sniper tower over and over again?
Still loving this game, very different feel to it then my other games and I don’t find the game to be as shallow as many make it out to be. Some games I’ll go multiball all day, others I’ll just go for the ultimate challenge through mode completion and pick off crime scenes while the modes are running, others I’ll try to play out every mode for the best score, and if any of that gets boring I’ll fire up a super game.

#4342 1 year ago

Great ideas for blocking the balls. I can see using the towel trick on other games also when the playfield needs to be lifted for something minor, like a quick bulb change. I did find a way to empty the balls when needed thru the menu. Go to coil test and the balls will load into the shooter lane and launch one by one - just be sure to depress the coin door switch to activate the coils.

#4343 1 year ago

Last call for the following mod that a trusted friend brought to Pinfest:

-Judge Dredd Metal Active Crane Mod (sold by judge-dredds-pinball on eBay) was $90.00 now $70.00

PM if interested.

1 week later
#4344 1 year ago

Joined the club!

FB5EDCA0-CEF5-4585-B241-A145AA6F1676 (resized).jpegFB5EDCA0-CEF5-4585-B241-A145AA6F1676 (resized).jpeg
#4345 1 year ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Joined the club!
[quoted image]

Whoa, I kinda like that glittery topper...Welcome!

2 weeks later
#4346 1 year ago

Now available for Judge Dredd.. https://www.pinballinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=546

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#4347 1 year ago

Dear,

Can anyone tell me what the normal behaviour is of the lift motor ? Mine keeps going all the time after startup.

Thanks.

#4348 1 year ago
Quoted from henrigroenevelt:

Dear,
Can anyone tell me what the normal behaviour is of the lift motor ? Mine keeps going all the time after startup.
Thanks.

Are you talking about the crane? Yes, the crane searches for its position when the machine powers up. The only crane switch telling it exactly where it is is over the ring. Every other crane position is guessed with timers.

#4349 1 year ago

#4350 1 year ago
Quoted from henrigroenevelt:

Dear,
Thanks.

When turning the game on, the crane lifts up, moves to unloading area and moves back to position that it started ( located over the side of the globe) the deadworld globe doesn't move at all during this process.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/87?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.