IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg
There are 4,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 98.
#4251 2 years ago
Quoted from FieldDog1:

So I did a continuity test with my multimeter on the J902 on the fliptronics board and found the wires that control the hold on the flipper. Did the continuity test and, nothing between Pin 11 and 13 while the others worked. So it must be a break in the wiring from the BB to PF.
I am not sure what to do now though, should I just try to follow the wires and see if there are any breaks? Thanks again!

Yes

#4252 2 years ago

Dear Dredd owners,

finally I got a working L1AT setup, great! (also got some trough opto bugs -> random ball launches, suddenly end-game (wow, why this?) etc, will be investigate later)
But.
When ball(s) stayed in the ring at the end of the game, they are stayed there. Crane do not eject it.
I have to go into the menu, Test, Unload Globe every time when cannot reach the multiball and game is over.
Is it normal?

#4253 2 years ago
Quoted from denzo:

Dear Dredd owners,
finally I got a working L1AT setup, great! (also got some trough opto bugs -> random ball launches, suddenly end-game (wow, why this?) etc, will be investigate later)
But.
When ball(s) stayed in the ring at the end of the game, they are stayed there. Crane do not eject it.
I have to go into the menu, Test, Unload Globe every time when cannot reach the multiball and game is over.
Is it normal?

The balls staying in the ring is normal. As long as you don't switch off the game, it will know they are there and you will get 1 or 2 "virtual lock(s)" the next time.
If you switched off the game it will perform a ball search when you start a new game and it will eject the balls by itself.

#4254 2 years ago

So the only option is - what I also do - Test/Unload Globe function. If I dont want to turn-off/turn-on the machine every time if a ball stucked in the ring.
Not an elegant solution to turn off-on the machine, and I dont think it is good for its transfomer.
Whatever.

What about the "sudden end game" phenomena? I mean at the last ball in play, playing and playing then pafff (maybe hit a target or something) and game stops, showing the bonuses and done, end of game. Like the ball drains. (while showing the bonus I can still push the flippers and keep the ball playing, but you know, it is "dead-playing", haha)
Trough opto problems too?

#4255 2 years ago
Quoted from denzo:

So the only option is - what I also do - Test/Unload Globe function. If I dont want to turn-off/turn-on the machine every time if a ball stucked in the ring.
Not an elegant solution to turn off-on the machine, and I dont think it is good for its transfomer.
Whatever.
What about the "sudden end game" phenomena? I mean at the last ball in play, playing and playing then pafff (maybe hit a target or something) and game stops, showing the bonuses and done, end of game. Like the ball drains. (while showing the bonus I can still push the flippers and keep the ball playing, but you know, it is "dead-playing", haha)
Trough opto problems too?

No, they only (best) option is to leave the balls where they are! Don't overthink, just try it and you will see what happens. The game knows the balls are there and acts accordingly.
The early software is very picky about the working of the optos, especially the trough optos. The trough will get some indentations over time and the balls will not roll down smootly; that causes problems and could be the reason for your problems. You need een plastic piece that fits in the trough (sorry don't have a link at the moment).

#4256 2 years ago
Quoted from KoP:

No, they only (best) option is to leave the balls where they are! Don't overthink, just try it and you will see what happens. The game knows the balls are there and acts accordingly.
The early software is very picky about the working of the optos, especially the trough optos. The trough will get some indentations over time and the balls will not roll down smootly; that causes problems and could be the reason for your problems. You need een plastic piece that fits in the trough (sorry don't have a link at the moment).

Ah, here it is: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809

#4257 2 years ago

Ah, thanks KoP!

Will check this part. Am I think it right that, have I put it "under" the balls, onto the trough's surface? I mean the balls will roll ON it?
It's like a "helper" to roll the balls easier?

Edit: ahaaam, I see, read "...sliding it under the balls...". Hm. Interesting.

#4258 2 years ago

Alright bought a new coin door and the plug doesn’t fit is there an adapter for this? The orginal plug is larger see pictures below.

B52971D0-1497-48DE-A575-E4C99682F167 (resized).jpegB52971D0-1497-48DE-A575-E4C99682F167 (resized).jpegC8592EA0-932F-4BBF-AE3E-335E85CBB41C (resized).jpegC8592EA0-932F-4BBF-AE3E-335E85CBB41C (resized).jpegE35192C3-9A6B-41C7-BFC4-D94802A90829 (resized).jpegE35192C3-9A6B-41C7-BFC4-D94802A90829 (resized).jpeg
#4259 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright bought a new coin door and the plug doesn’t fit is there an adapter for this? The orginal plug is larger see pictures below.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You have 2 options:

Destructive, but cleaner look:
Purchase a 13 pin IDC (0.156), cut the new plug (0.100), then press the new wires to the IDC (0.156) according to the manual.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5792-10817-13

Non-destructive:
Purchase a 13 pin IDC (0.156), a 13 pin IDC (0.100), and a 13 pin Z connector (0.100). Create an adapter like this:
Coin door (resized).jpgCoin door (resized).jpg

It's a lot more work, and unnecessary extra connections.

#4260 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

You have 2 options:
Destructive, but cleaner look:
Purchase a 13 pin IDC (0.156), cut the new plug (0.100), then press the new wires to the IDC (0.156) according to the manual.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5792-10817-13
Non-destructive:
Purchase a 13 pin IDC (0.156), a 13 pin IDC (0.100), and a 13 pin Z connector (0.100). Create an adapter like this:
[quoted image]
It's a lot more work, and unnecessary extra connections.

Thanks!!!
Does anyone make this Z connector that I can purchase anywhere?

1 week later
#4261 2 years ago

I'm in the club! Scored a beauty. Plays like a dream, just need to find the L7 rom and slap it in.

#4262 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinologist:

I'm in the club! Scored a beauty. Plays like a dream, just need to find the L7 rom and slap it in.

you really want the L1-D ROM

#4263 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

you really want the L1-D ROM

What rom is this, the one that locks the balls on deadworld?

#4264 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinologist:

What rom is this, the one that locks the balls on deadworld?

It does it all.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/84#post-6515608

#4265 2 years ago

Can't seem to find where to purchase this ROM (L-1D)...

#4266 2 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Since you are in Canada message Astill - Dave Astill - pinballrom.com. He will take care of you.

#4267 2 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I'm curious as well, do we need to message KoP if we're in the states? And is it worth upgrading if I've already got L1AT installed?

#4268 2 years ago

I just got my rom upgraded from L1AT to L1D. So far the best bonus is that you can actually complete left ramp loops during modes that require it when you have the ball locks activated. When the mode is running, it ignores the ball locks.

I had Matt's Basement Arcade burn the rom for me. Choose a custom rom, select chip 27c040 and either send the binary or give him a link. Meldenhut send me the binary file.

Of note, if anyone wants one, I accidently had two roms burned so I have a spare. If anyone wants it, shoot me a message and I'll mail it off.

#4269 2 years ago

I did poor man’s deadworld lock and taped off the openings. Works great and with the L1D I can swap back super easy.

#4270 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I did poor man’s deadworld lock and taped off the openings. Works great and with the L1D I can swap back super easy.

The replacement ring is like $30

#4271 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

The replacement ring is like $30

Yup

#4272 2 years ago

Important reminder that keeping the optos clean is very important in this machine boys and girls. Yesterday my wife put up a very surprising score of over 6 billion in regular game. She has never scored higher than 400 million. I wasn't with her when she was playing but I immediately suspected something was wrong with the game. My wife disagreed and was adamant it was all skill. I watched her play a second game, she got over 1 billion on the first ball. I noticed that one of the ramps was continually being activated even though a ball wasn't going up it. I let her have her fun and all my kids eventually joined in, each putting up scores in the several billions, shattering all my high scores and completely wiping me off the leaderboard. Today I cleaned all the optos on the ramps. They were all pretty dirty. Problem solved. My wife played a few games today and didn't score higher than 350 million. She begrudgingly admitted that maybe she wasn't just having a really good day yesterday.

#4273 2 years ago

Just joined the club! Anything I should know/check to ensure the Judge runs beautifully?

20220123_154355 (resized).jpg20220123_154355 (resized).jpg
#4274 2 years ago
Quoted from Bam_Man:

Just joined the club! Anything I should know/check to ensure the Judge runs beautifully?
[quoted image]

I'd be most worried about the gearbox for deadworld.. maybe you can get them somewhere.. but i don't think so, pack em with grease.

#4275 2 years ago
Quoted from Bam_Man:

[quoted image]

I've had my judge dredd for a little over a year now and luckily I've only had minor issues that I had to deal with so far. As I stated above, make sure your optos are clean. They are a big part of this game, they are all over, especially the ramps so make sure they are cleaned and it will prevent a lot of odd issues. The deadworld seems to be an issue for many owners, I've never had any problems with mine. I had an issue with the drop targets not fully resetting initially, the culprit was a broken thin piece of plastic that all the targets rested on inside the target bank (known as plastic target stop). The drop targets take a lot of abuse so this is a fairly common piece that breaks (I bought two so I have a replacement if I need it). Another common issue is the balls getting magnetized causing issues, such as more than one ball going into the eject hole at once. You can get a plastic anti magnetic shim that slides under the balls in the ball trough. I haven't had any further issues since I put the shim in. Most of the other issues I've dealt with were related to cracked solder joints.

#4276 2 years ago

My JD is starting to turn into a problem child, lol. Was playing fine yesterday, then all of sudden fuse F105 blew. Now the globe just rotates constantly and if I put a new fuse in, it bangs the knocker then blows again.

I took the board out and checked the J130 pins, and none are holding to ground. The solenoid transistors all test fine. I'm starting to suspect Q1 went bad. Any thoughts on how to test it?

#4277 2 years ago

Hi, has anyone got any advice for getting this nylon locking nut off? When i turn it the post spins, I can't see the bolt under under the playfield or get long nose pliers under the plastic to stop it.

20220130_101704 (resized).jpg20220130_101704 (resized).jpg
#4278 2 years ago
Quoted from OldTor:

Hi, has anyone got any advice for getting this nylon locking nut off? When i turn it the post spins, I can't see the bolt under under the playfield or get long nose pliers under the plastic to stop it.[quoted image]

Remove 1 or 2 red targets (it's just 2 screws), then you will have an access.

#4279 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Remove 1 or 2 red targets (it's just 2 screws), then you will have an access.

Awesome thanks finally got it off, took me a while to figure out there is another nut directly under the plastic.

#4280 2 years ago

Get one of those 5 dollar stamped metal post wrenches and be done with that needle nose plier silliness…

I like this one it has has 2 sizes.

https://pinballhaus.com/product/pinwrench/

#4281 2 years ago

Well guys, I am leaving the club either today or tomorrow. Swapping for a Road Show! Also have an Addams coming so one out and two in!

#4282 2 years ago

I'm having issues with one of the Dredd optical sensors, the upper right one for the left ramp. It's randomly firing off despite being cleaned repeatedly and causing the ball locks and chain events to trigger. None of the others are having issues, so I don't think it's the board.

Is there anything I should be checking before ordering a replacement set of sensors? My best guess is that the IR emitter is going out or blinking for some reason.

Thanks!

Added over 2 years ago:

Edit: Did some more testing, I can't get it to act up in switch testing mode at all. It only does this during gameplay, and the fact that this board had battery damage that was repaired is making me nervous.

Added over 2 years ago:

Further weirdness ensues, however I was able to catch it acting up again in switch testing mode. It seems to do it once an hour or so, very intermittent and very annoying.

#4283 2 years ago

Check if the screws sit tightly, had that very problem with the air raid ramp. One side was slightly loose and under vibrations of the game the switch would fire at random.
Also check if the solder joints/wires are okay, pull a tiny bit on the cables to see if they are not broken under the isolation and tear off.
If all that doesn't help, resolder the components on the two pcbs.

#4284 2 years ago

Thanks, I'll check that next. I have a new set of optos on order, so hopefully one or the other will fix things.

#4285 2 years ago

Going to be joining the club in about a week and a half. Really excited for the variety this game will bring to my soon to be 6 game collection.
I currently have a Jurassic Park Pro, Hook, Lethal Weapon 3, Striker Extreme and Comet. Have owned in the past a Wipeout and a DE Simpsons.
This will be my First wide body, first Bally, first game with no pops, first game with 4 flippers and first game with a captive ball.
I played it a few times in a league at Sparks in Chesterfield and always had a lot of fun on it but playing for points and no extra balls in a loud location environment doesn’t let you really dive deep into the game. I think I would always start with Blackout being a 2 ball multiball and then sniper and get into regular multiball, maybe play a few other modes but never went after the wizard mode or got into any of the side stuff like combos or the captive ball increasing the bonus (I think I read this).

1 week later
#4286 2 years ago

Hooray, my Dredd is fully working again! Looks like the trouble was a bad opto set. Replaced them and no more crazy firing of the left ramp, only tricky part was getting the ramp off to work on it.

#4287 2 years ago

Just added a Judge Dredd comic book flyer to the flyer database in case any of you JD fans want to have a read:

https://nypinball.com/flyers/judge-dredd-comic/

#4288 2 years ago

Dredd is in the game room! Whole family had a ton of fun playing both the regular game and the super game last night as I got it setup.
Is it common to have a lot of outlane drains as the ball hops off the rails coming back from a fast ramp shot? Wondering if I have it setup too steep, I like my games to play fast and difficult, it’s at 7.15 degrees right now and other than the ball hops to the outline it’s playing great.

#4289 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Dredd is in the game room! Whole family had a ton of fun playing both the regular game and the super game last night as I got it setup.
Is it common to have a lot of outlane drains as the ball hops off the rails coming back from a fast ramp shot? Wondering if I have it setup too steep, I like my games to play fast and difficult, it’s at 7.15 degrees right now and other than the ball hops to the outline it’s playing great.

When I had mine, sometimes the ball would hop from the inner habitrail to the outer one but it usually didn’t fall to the outlane. One that confused me, sometimes when the ball would get ejected from the subway, it would bounce off the blue pad and fall off the habitrail to the left outlane. Not a ton, but annoying when it did

#4290 2 years ago

When your game goes into a ball search, do you automatically get a new ball in the shooter lane and it gets fired out? Never seen this before but maybe it’s just specific to this game.
Also, with the deadworld mod, are balls supposed to be cleared out when the game is over? This game does not do that, but when you turn the game on if there are balls locked it will clear them before allowing you to start a game. Just wondering if this is normal as most games I’ve played with physical ball locks clear them out once the game in play has ended.

#4291 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

When your game goes into a ball search, do you automatically get a new ball in the shooter lane and it gets fired out? Never seen this before but maybe it’s just specific to this game.
Also, with the deadworld mod, are balls supposed to be cleared out when the game is over? This game does not do that, but when you turn the game on if there are balls locked it will clear them before allowing you to start a game. Just wondering if this is normal as most games I’ve played with physical ball locks clear them out once the game in play has ended.

I don't think it automatically kicks out a new ball for ball search, at least on mine it doesn't. I've had the ball get stuck in the subway trough before I leveled it properly, and it would just keep kicking looking for the ball.

The balls do stay on Deadworld with the mod installed, it remembers how many are on there and does a virtual lock until it gets to an open spot. It will clear them out if you restart the machine, but I prefer to just run a super game as a more fun method to clear it.

#4292 2 years ago
Quoted from Harrumph:

I don't think it automatically kicks out a new ball for ball search, at least on mine it doesn't. I've had the ball get stuck in the subway trough before I leveled it properly, and it would just keep kicking looking for the ball.
The balls do stay on Deadworld with the mod installed, it remembers how many are on there and does a virtual lock until it gets to an open spot. It will clear them out if you restart the machine, but I prefer to just run a super game as a more fun method to clear it.

Yup I do the same . OCD I guess but I always play a Super game to clear up the ring before I shut down the game

#4293 2 years ago

Is Block War Multiball in the game?
Only one rule sheet on the internet lists it, here it is https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=JD_rules

Looks like it says you have to finish all the crime scenes at the 4th level to get it? I dunno, I haven’t done that yet but it seems weird that only one rule sheet mentions it.

Possibly it’s in one ROM version but got cut in another? The rule sheet for Striker Xtreme written by Kieth Elwin says that game has a multiball called Fan Riot Multiball that is started by getting to 10x bonus but my game stops at 9x bonus and completing the cup rollover lanes doesn’t do anything beyond 9x.

#4294 2 years ago

First sentence of your linked rule sheet:

The JD rules describe the operation of custom JD game software that runs on a PC connected to a Judge Dredd pinball machine through a P-ROC board

That is from a p-roc remake, also has a video mode, the original doesn't..

#4295 2 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

First sentence of your linked rule sheet:

That is from a p-roc remake, also has a video mode, the original doesn't..

Good catch, didn’t bother to read the opening paragraph just skipped to the rules. Thanks

#4296 2 years ago

Did Judge Dredd ship from factory with Gold legs or Chrome ? I see Chrome in most promotional items but see very many games with Gold legs with chrome siderails / lockdown.

I know World Cup Soccer had Chrome and Gold (legs only) mix from factory - curious if Dredd was the same or just something that caught on in the aftermarket.

#4297 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Did Judge Dredd ship from factory with Gold legs or Chrome ? I see Chrome in most promotional items but see very many games with Gold legs with chrome siderails / lockdown.
I know World Cup Soccer had Chrome and Gold (legs only) mix from factory - curious if Dredd was the same or just something that caught on in the aftermarket.

Factory setup is brass plated.
01-2263-2-BR

#4298 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Factory setup is brass plated.
01-2263-2-BR

TY - the only thing that threw me off was the flyer shows chrome... interesting they switched before production.

#4299 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

TY - the only thing that threw me off was the flyer shows chrome... interesting they switched before production.

The flyer shows brass, a kind of light brass.
Compared to lockdown bar, you can see a minor difference.

#4300 2 years ago

From my recollection, the game came with S.S siderails and lockdown, and gold legs, as shown in the flyer: https://nypinball.com/flyers/judge-dredd-2/
And not that the IPDB's pictures are always 100% accurate, they also show it that way: https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1322&picno=7480

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

There are 4,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/86?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.