Topic Stats

• 3,677 posts
  • 415 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Devilsmuse
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,053 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200527_181545 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200527_181620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200527_181654 (resized).jpg
20200503_132228 (resized).jpg
20200503_124356 (resized).jpg
20200503_124340 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200503-092317_Chrome (resized).jpg
20200502_203350 (resized).jpg
20200502_203350 (resized).jpg
a7e372c23bb0acf6eb7545dec4d8f7b945b98279 (resized).jpg
E64AEBEA-664F-4E65-9933-28BAECEC72E6 (resized).jpeg
B534D1C7-3E77-440F-9BEC-ED549696DA9F (resized).jpeg
DSCN6816 (resized).JPG
DSCN6817 (resized).JPG
D9F38FC3-AA97-4875-B7C4-562E10D913AC (resized).jpeg
BC7C2A1D-7064-4E88-9351-81F159F5F289 (resized).jpeg

There are 3677 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 74.
#351 6 years ago

I had some issues with the air raid ramp so I put a couple of washers on the top where it connects to the ramp above it. That fixed it for me.

1 week later
#352 6 years ago

I'm knocking on this door & wanna join up, just got my JD few days ago looks pretty good, faded a bit not to shabby, doing a strip down & clean, going to flame clean all the plastic ramps, looks to be one of the toughest pins I have striped down, can't wait to reassamble

image-13.jpg

#353 6 years ago

Striping down a JD is one beast of a job. Well worth it to have a clean, fast machine though.

#354 6 years ago

Any idea who sells color changing Led's to put inside the Deadworld

#355 6 years ago

I got mine from PinballLife. They stay synced pretty well, not great. They looked cool though even when they weren't the same colors.

#356 6 years ago

So I have been reading the old Dredd comics lately for another project I am working on and it has made me appreciate the game that much more They really hit the nail on the head with the theme implementation.

#357 6 years ago

Me too, Gov. I didn't even know there was a comic when I got my pin but I've read quite a bit now. The little touches they added are really nice. Walter the robot and Mean Machine on the slings are cool to see now that I know who they are. And the most important thing they nailed was the motorcycle.

I was trying to think of another machine based solely on a comic (without a movie tie-in) and I couldn't think of any others since the 70s with Superman, Spiderman and Hulk. Am I forgetting any more recent ones?

Edit: Looks like TFTC was based on the comic as much as the TV show.

#358 6 years ago

Xmen was based on the comic only I think.....could be wrong though.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Xmen was based on the comic only I think.....could be wrong though.

That seems like you're right. I wasn't sure since it was the same relative time as the movies but they've been making some sort of X-Men movie since 2000 so the pin is likely just marketing the brand not the movies, I am guessing.

#360 6 years ago

When I used to play the heck out of Dredd in the arcade then saw that they were making the movie, I said cool, they are making a movie based on my favorite pinball machine.

#361 6 years ago

I grew up in the UK and reading the 2000AD comic every week was a highlight for me as a kid. Judge Dredd was one of my favourite characters. So, I bought the machine based on my love of both pinball and the Judge Dredd character.

#362 6 years ago

Hey guys, just finished putting my dredd back together, having some issues with air balls when hitting the left ramp, hIts RHS support, looks to have a patch piece put in, any mods can be done in that area

image-930.jpg

#363 6 years ago

glad to be a part of the club!

#364 6 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

I grew up in the UK and reading the 2000AD comic every week was a highlight for me as a kid. Judge Dredd was one of my favourite characters. So, I bought the machine based on my love of both pinball and the Judge Dredd character.

The last movie, Dredd, I thought was way underrated. I honestly thought it was better than Man of Steel even though it bombed in the theaters. They are talking of making a sequel though due to how well it has done on dvd/blue ray.

The pin I think has long been underrated because most people ,especially americans, are not familiar with the source material. The pin I think could have been better had it been based on The Dark Knight Rises, Batman: Year One, Watchmen, or even Spawn. Dredd just was never that popular of a character in the states.

Thinking on it, there are a lot of comic books that would make great pinball machines. Sin City would make an awesome pin. Starman would be awesome though I don't know how many people know the story. Alan Moore's swamp thing could be neat. Goon would be an awesome fun zombie theme. Much better and more fun in my opinion than Walking Dead. I think comic books with their art and stories I think lend themselves better to pins than movies.

#365 6 years ago

Got this beast back together, Closed up the gaps on the sling switch's, clean/polish/wax, rubber kit/balls, flame clean ramps, LED's & flashers, used those Leds strips in the shooter lane & at the back of the PF, Ordered a deadworld mod & Led crane, first WB I've owned, plays pretty fast considering others say WB play slow, ramp shots not as easier as it looks, Art Package & sound are Awesome, getting my head around he game play,
Keeper- wait & see
short vid below

#366 6 years ago

Looks great Skywalker.

#367 6 years ago

What does the question mark target on the left hand side do?

#368 6 years ago
Quoted from StrangelovePhD:

I'm sure a Guru will answer in more detail.. But hit it while during 'missions' and it'll complete them or add to them.. Like, it will complete all 3 reactors during 'Meltdown' or it'll add another lit letter (normally 2. Will make 3 light.) during 'Impersonator'..

I'm not sure what it does for all of them, I plan on finding out once my JD is back from a shop job.

Harvs

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from StrangelovePhD:

The unofficial rule sheet details what the the question mark does for each "mission". Check it out at http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/1322/judgedre.htm

1 week later
#370 6 years ago

Bought me a very pristine condition jd and absolutely love it what a fast and fun game. It has all leds except under the deadworld like in the pit what do you all use on that some flex ones faceing up?

#371 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It has all leds except under the deadworld like in the pit what do you all use on that some flex ones faceing up?

Yep, Cointaker flex leds work great there, lights it up real good.
Congrats on getting a JD!

#372 6 years ago

Just not sure what color to use because its spoce to look dim and erie maybe just some warm whites ?

#373 6 years ago

Question for the JD crowd, had mine for a few weeks now and going to do a teardown and new cab decals etc (waiting for the Eagle to land as well - literally).

I noticed that the flipper button mech setup was different on the left side to the right side and luckily saw a post that explained that this was normal, before I newbed it here , so to my question; has anyone changed this setup so that they feel the same on both sides and what did you do to get it that way (mine feels way different, much stiffer on the left side)?

Cheers

#374 6 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Question for the JD crowd, had mine for a few weeks now and going to do a teardown and new cab decals etc (waiting for the Eagle to land as well - literally).
I noticed that the flipper button mech setup was different on the left side to the right side and luckily saw a post that explained that this was normal, before I newbed it here , so to my question; has anyone changed this setup so that they feel the same on both sides and what did you do to get it that way (mine feels way different, much stiffer on the left side)?
Cheers

Mine had a similar problem when I first got it. I found that there were different interrupters on each of the flipper button opto boards. One had the newer plastic interrupter and the other the older style metal interrupter. There was so much more resistance when pressing the button with the metal interrupter compared to the one with the plastic one. In fact the plastic one had hardly any resistance to it. It really bugged me and I assumed that this was not how it was shipped and that one of the boards/interrupter assembly's had been changed at some point.

I'm sure there are cheaper solutions, but the one I chose was to replace both opto board assembly's with the new aftermarket boards from Great Lakes Modular (http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/) - Parts JD-RFB & WPC-UFB. I had a lot of problems getting them setup to work correctly but now I'm very happy. Equal and comfortable resistance on both sides that can be adjusted if necessary.

#375 6 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

It really bugged me and I assumed that this was not how it was shipped and that one of the boards/interrupter assembly's had been changed at some point.

The reason why the left side has a different board from the right is because of the additional button on the side of the cab to fire off the left lane kicker. It was not changed and came from the factory this way.

6298801664_9a2b384e0b_z.jpg

I'm glad to hear that the GLM flipper boards are working out for you but personally I don't like how they feel. You might also want to find a way to secure that magnet in place because if it gets shifted around you flipper might not work properly.

#377 6 years ago

I put the aftermarket boards from Great Lakes Modular in my JD, they're sweet. Work perfect and feel same from one side to the other. I even have flipper buttons w/ springs in them next to a pin that has flip buttons w/o and there is no perceivable difference as they're fully adjustable.
GLM makes top notch products!

#378 6 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

The reason why the left side has a different board from the right is because of the additional button on the side of the cab to fire off the left lane kicker. It was not changed and came from the factory this way.

What I meant was that one of the boards had the metal interrupter as in your picture while the other had a plastic interrupter. I know that the board on the left side of JD is unique. But was it that the left side always had a metal interrupter and the right-side a plastic one?

Quoted from mwong168:

I'm glad to hear that the GLM flipper boards are working out for you but personally I don't like how they feel. You might also want to find a way to secure that magnet in place because if it gets shifted around you flipper might not work properly.

I find that they feel fine and do not stand out as feeling particularly different to my other games. However, I did find that when flipping frantically the magnet would occasionally stick to the metal bracket around the shooter lane coils. This happened on both the left and right hand sides. So, I had to stick some cardboard over the magnets so that they couldn't get close enough to the metal brackets to stick. Having done that they now no longer stick, work great and have not needed any further adjustments in 6 months of play.

There is one lingering issue with them though. I find that when the shooter lane coils fire automatically during game play (e.g. when a ball enters the left shooter lane and it is not Air Raid mode) this triggers the flipper switch and the associated flippers lightly flip. This is clearly down to the coils magnetic field affecting the magnetically actuated flipper boards. I plan on installing some shielding to see if I can cut down/eliminate the problem.

#379 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses, are the GLM boards the only options out there, does everyone else just man up and build the extra strength in the left flipper fingers? Can't help wondering if there is a secret mothers recipe that might work

So are the magnets on the GLM boards just for balance (weight and feel) and can move/stick when going mad so a dab of glue or something when satisfied with the magnet position could be in order?

#380 6 years ago

So are the magnets on the GLM boards just for balance (weight and feel) and can move/stick when going mad so a dab of glue or something when satisfied with the magnet position could be in order?

The magnet on each board is located on the metal arm and are not for weight and feel. There are separate screws that can be repositioned to adjust the resistance felt when pressing the flipper buttons. The magnet sits on the outside of the metal arm and activates the switches on the actual circuit board. Adjusting the position of the magnet allows you to adjust the sensitivity of when the switches activate, i.e. how far in you have to push the flipper button before each flipper flips.

My problem was not with the magnets moving during game play. My problem stemmed from the fact that the magnets, on the outside of the metal arms, were very close to the shooter/kicker lanes coil bracket when the flipper button was fully depressed. When the flipper button was fully depressed and the coil was activated the coils magnetic field would pull the GLM magnet towards it and the GLM magnet would then stick to the coil's metal bracket. As I said above, putting a little cardboard over the GLM magnet now prevents this from occurring.

#381 6 years ago

Can some of you share how you have your JDs set up? I did a factory reset on my Dredd yesterday and changed some of the settings from how I had them set up before. I used to have all rewards as extra ball but left them the factory replay, increased the ball save to 8 sec, turned the extra ball buy in off, left the outlane openings enormous.
How do you have yours set up?

Thanks for the responses, are the GLM boards the only options out there, does everyone else just man up and build the extra strength in the left flipper fingers?

The difference in feel really bothered me when I first got it but I don't even notice it anymore.

#382 6 years ago

looking to grab one of these in the near future, was hoping you guys could give me some pricing help? What should I look to spend? Thanks. -Tommy

#383 6 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

The difference in feel really bothered me when I first got it but I don't even notice it anymore.

Yeah I know what you mean, after a few games you get used to it and almost forget about it completely but then I move to a different PIN for a while and when I go back to JD the first few games feel out of whack again, really just a minor annoyance but if it can be eliminated then sweet.

#384 6 years ago

I'm in! No mods or LED's but the pics with LED's look sweet! I may do that!

Question? Do do the deadworld mod or not? Does not seem necessary? Does it make a much cooler difference? I heard it is a bitch to install.

#385 6 years ago

I used a spare flipper button part/thingy I had to make them feel the same.. I know it's kinda dogsh!t, but it took me about half a brew to get dialed in..

JDf.JPG
#386 6 years ago
Quoted from atariaction:

I'm in! No mods or LED's but the pics with LED's look sweet! I may do that!
Question? Do do the deadworld mod or not? Does not seem necessary? Does it make a much cooler difference? I heard it is a bitch to install.

Yes Cooler in looks, But IMHO Deadworld is a waste of time, put one in couple of weeks ago really added nothing, Had this happen a few times, machine is looking for a lost ball, sitting on DW, takes awhile for the crane evenly to come around & pick it up & continue play, there is a reason why they left this out, Its not 99% reliable

#387 6 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Yes Cooler in looks, But IMHO Deadworld is a waste of time, put one in couple of weeks ago really added nothing, Had this happen a few times, machine is looking for a lost ball, sitting on DW, takes awhile for the crane evenly to come around & pick it up & continue play, there is a reason why they left this out, Its not 99% reliable

The opto boards in the trough have to being working and crane has to drop every ball through the dead world opto otherwise screws up. You got to tweak it right and then it is reliable.

I think biggest problem is that the code doesn't compensate for a lost ball. In other games, when the pinball screws up in tracking how many balls are in play it doesn't end play when something is trigging switches even though its bad count shows that all the balls are in the trough. For example, my BSD sometimes loses track of the balls and it will start going through adding up the bonuses and if the ball still in play triggers a switch, it jumps immediately back into play. JD doesn't have any programming to determine when there are still balls in play and even worse when it loses track of how many balls in play it carries the screwed up count into the next ball and puts two balls into trough instead of just one to start game. I have to turn the game on and off to reset the count. JD is dumb like that.

#388 6 years ago

Its not that it is dumb its that the code was never updated with the deadworld because they took it out in production.so all updated code is for without the deadworld and when you run the deadworld mod your running the first prototype code but if somebody could rework a new code then it could all be updated

#389 6 years ago

My game I recently bought has the mod and I think its awesome but my game does run great and looks new

#390 6 years ago

In my experience the Deadworld mod creates more problems than it's worth. It's cool looking but I'd rather have a game that plays reliably (crazy, I know). That's why I haven't bothered with the mod on my game.

#391 6 years ago

The only problem i've found with the deadworld mod so far is that if you finish a game with 1 or 2 balls in "lock" it confuses the crap outta the machine when you start a new game and the solenoids all fire off trying to find the missing balls. LOVE my JD machine, one of my favs

#392 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

The only problem i've found with the deadworld mod so far is that if you finish a game with 1 or 2 balls in "lock" it confuses the crap outta the machine when you start a new game and the solenoids all fire off trying to find the missing balls. LOVE my JD machine, one of my favs

This only happens to me when I turn the machine off, than turn back on later, than the machine goes nuts looking for them. I just clear them out before I shut down.

#393 6 years ago

Sometimes I get an intermittent issue when battling the judges during multiball. The balls will drain but the machine gets confused & keeps kicking them back into play. It's annoying & makes multiball go on longer than it should. Eventually it corrects itself. I'm sure its related to the deadworld mod & losing track of the balls in play. The opto board in the trough is new. But as I said, it only happens occasionally.

I love my Dredd & would never consider removing the deadworld mod, even if the L1-AT ROM isn't perfect.

#394 6 years ago

If you end a game with balls in Deadworld, they are supposed to stay there. When you start a new game and the lock is ready, shooting a ball into the lock behaves like a virtual lock and does not divert the ball until the number of the lock shot (Dimensional Lock 1, Dimensional Lock 2, Dimensional Lock 3) is greater than the number of balls locked. Shutting the machine off and turning it on and starting a game results in a ball search since the machine believes a ball is missing until it gets into the trough. Logically, this makes the most sense given how the ball is tracked. Of course, if any optos are not working properly, all bets are off.

While the opto logic was improved in later revisions, it was also assumed that balls would never be stuck in Deadworld. Trying to adapt Deadworld with the improved opto logic found in later production level game code is a non-trivial task.

viperrwk

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Sometimes I get an intermittent issue when battling the judges during multiball. The balls will drain but the machine gets confused & keeps kicking them back into play. It's annoying & makes multiball go on longer than it should. Eventually it corrects itself. I'm sure its related to the deadworld mod & losing track of the balls in play. The opto board in the trough is new. But as I said, it only happens occasionally.
I love my Dredd & would never consider removing the deadworld mod, even if the L1-AT ROM isn't perfect.

This happens to me occasionally as well and I too have a new trough opto board (GLM).

#396 6 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

This only happens to me when I turn the machine off, than turn back on later, than the machine goes nuts looking for them. I just clear them out before I shut down.

This is different to the behaviour on my machine. When I turn on my machine, and balls are sitting locked in Deadworld, nothing happens. However, when I press the start button the machine recognises that the trough is not full and starts to unload Deadworld. Once that is completed, and all balls are in the trough, I have to press the start button again to get a game going. Rom is L1-AT.

#397 6 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

This is different to the behaviour on my machine. When I turn on my machine, and balls are sitting locked in Deadworld, nothing happens. However, when I press the start button the machine recognises that the trough is not full and starts to unload Deadworld. Once that is completed, and all balls are in the trough, I have to press the start button again to get a game going. Rom is L1-AT.

That is how mine behaves as well. I was having some issues with the game ending multiball with two balls left in play so I bought the GLM boards. Hopefully they will cure this but I don't have my hopes up.

#398 6 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

Quoted from Gov:

That is how mine behaves as well. I was having some issues with the game ending multiball with two balls left in play so I bought the GLM boards. Hopefully they will cure this but I don't have my hopes up.

This is normal behavior for the Deadworld ROM (see post above). However, ending multiball with two balls in play is not and is indicative of an opto problem.

viperrwk

#399 6 years ago

Ok wow! I am definitely not doing the dw mod. I will maybe do the decals. Sounds like if i install them correctly I wont get any hangups.

Any recommendation on LED type/brand? I don't want to have to wear sunglasses to play though!

#400 6 years ago
Quoted from atariaction:

I am definitely not doing the dw mod.

It sounds worse than it is. If the game is working correctly, the mod can be installed in a matter of minutes and will work just fine. The key is that with the mod, the optos on the planet must sense one ball out for every ball in. I installed mine almost two years ago, and have had absolutely zero problems since. And for the price, it is a very cool upgrade.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade
$ 47.00
There are 3677 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 74.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside