IMG_9546 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
There are 4,872 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 98.
#3801 3 years ago

Trough opto replacement

On my JD I have two trough optos that are not working. On the opto transmitting board I can see all but two lighting up with cell phone camera, and tested all IR resistors on the board, all were around 270 ohms. So to me that means those two LEDs are bad and need to be replaced, not much anything else going on on the board except a power LED.

I've found the replacement board (a-16927) but wanted to know if just the IR LED can be replaced, and if so is there a particular IR LED for that board that needs to be used. And/or if new/different transmitting IR LED is replaced does the receiving side need to be replaced at well?

Lastly it looks like this is a common issue and did notice when I was testing the resistors did get pretty hot to the touch, so is it worth to just change the LEDs or just swap the entire board with the 'new' design . I ask since a 6 opto board is ~$10 where this 7 opto board is ~$30 (seems like a big price difference) where as the IR LED is a dollar or two at most.

Thanks in advance

#3802 3 years ago

If I recall correctly, I had an opto problem in the trough as well. I just ordered emitters and receivers and did the replacement. The shipping was more expensive than the actual parts. Here's what I used, sorry it's the Canadian Digikey site:

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/on-semiconductor/QED123/187398
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/on-semiconductor/QSD124/187446

#3803 3 years ago

I bought mine with black powder coating. It looks fine, but honestly I'm not a huge fan of most powder coating. I've seen it in yellow and that would subtract value for me.

#3804 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Seems as if my weak flipper problem may have been a space heater in the room.. I also have 4 pins on the same Circuit ..tryin this out if the problem returns i will make it have its own circuit...
Curious?
What's the replacement for the left flipper cab switch ?
Is anyone making one these days?

GLM made a replacement, but they are no longer in business. I was able to find a used one. Mine was altogether missing. What part do you need? I think Marco has some of it, but not the bracket.

#3805 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

GLM made a replacement, but they are no longer in business. I was able to find a used one. Mine was altogether missing. What part do you need? I think Marco has some of it, but not the bracket.

Not sure yet...haha.. Ive replaced everthing but the left cab switch.

#3806 3 years ago

Question .
On dredd i would occasionally get the trough # 85 or # 86 # 2 or 3 trough issue.
Launch the 6 balls in play and it would clear...
Not this time.
I just ordered a new set from pinball life..
On your opto board with the 1 red and 2 green led bulbs lit... Are the 2 greens and red lit all the time ?
I've cleaned my optos .
Also,in switch test the 3 optos in the trough closest to the shooter lane do not register ...
But it does not seem to be affecting game play ?
Im stumped ? Hopimg the new opto trough set does the trick

Thanx in advance...
I will snap a pic.. If anyone can,snap a pic of there's with the machine on I would appreciate it.

#3807 3 years ago
1019202207a (resized).jpg1019202207a (resized).jpg
#3808 3 years ago

I was also getting the 3 ball multi to start in supergame..

#3809 3 years ago

Trough LEDs are always on. The ball blocks the light and signals to the game that the switch is closed/the ball is there. Those LEDs aren’t stock. Someone must have tried replacing them which I’m sure is where your issues are coming from. Replacements should probably do the trick.

Super game starts with multiball yes.

#3810 3 years ago

Hey all, wondering if y’all have issues with the gear box for your planet motor over time. I had an issue when I first bought the game with one of the gears coming loose no matter how I tried to tighten it. Bought a replacement and haven’t had issue for three years. Now I’m having the same issue with the new replacement. Anyone have this same issue?

#3811 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Hey all, wondering if y’all have issues with the gear box for your planet motor over time. I had an issue when I first bought the game with one of the gears coming loose no matter how I tried to tighten it. Bought a replacement and haven’t had issue for three years. Now I’m having the same issue with the new replacement. Anyone have this same issue?

If this is your culprit, then the link below is a solid, permanent solution. It's a little time consuming, but worth it in the end.

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/judge-dredd-planet-gearbox-repair-re-not-turning.39307/

61663-f6ecbc365e62ec4475f8a9c205e2bed2 (resized).jpg61663-f6ecbc365e62ec4475f8a9c205e2bed2 (resized).jpg
#3812 3 years ago

I am looking for review/opinion about upgraded planet motor/gearbox. Is this worth the money?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7985

JD planet (resized).JPGJD planet (resized).JPG
#3813 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

I am looking for review/opinion about upgraded planet motor/gearbox. Is this worth the money?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7985
[quoted image]

Will it do anything differently than an original motor - NO.
It is built better than the original and is really expensive, but if you can fix your original just do that.

#3814 3 years ago

Thanks for the repair thread link! Looks like good stuff!

#3815 3 years ago

I cant seem to find the post about flippers becoming week .. There are a few chips on the fliptronics board I belive I was reading.. But can't remember or find the info...? Anybody have this info ?

#3816 3 years ago

Hello, I have the deadworld ring mod and the L1 rom installed on my machine and the balls doesn’t lock in the ring, not even the last one... the diverter doesn’t “divert”. I checked and the optos are all working, no error tho. Could it be that I also need a “mod board” that I read somewhere here to get it fully work?
Thanx

#3817 3 years ago

My left shooter coil is hit or miss..sometimes it's perfect . others it barley shoots the ball out of the lane ?

#3818 3 years ago

Automata90

No need for an additional board.

Was the diverter working BEFORE you changed ROMS?

I would start by checking the diverter in coil test mode.

Can you fix this? Sí se puede!

Suerte!

#3819 3 years ago

Well I have noticed that the problem is the switch 67 (left ramp enter) It works in switch test, but said “NOT USED”, so when I play it doesn’t, so the diverter doesn’t work either. I have read that originally it suposed to be switch 32 that makes the diverter funcional, thats why the mod board turn the 67 into 32... I don’t know how to turn 67 in 32 in other way. Any help appeciated

#3820 3 years ago
Quoted from Automata90:

Well I have noticed that the problem is the switch 67 (left ramp enter) It works in switch test, but said “NOT USED”, so when I play it doesn’t, so the diverter doesn’t work either. I have read that originally it suposed to be switch 32 that makes the diverter funcional, thats why the mod board turn the 67 into 32... I don’t know how to turn 67 in 32 in other way. Any help appeciated

You don't need an additional board but you do need a different game ROM: L1AT.

#3821 3 years ago
Quoted from KoP:

You don't need an additional board but you do need a different game ROM: L1AT.

This. Also note L1 is NOT the same as L1AT.

Eric

#3822 3 years ago

Joined the club. Best $1400 I’ve ever spent.

8C3286E7-8B8B-4EDA-B4B3-5305312044D3 (resized).jpeg8C3286E7-8B8B-4EDA-B4B3-5305312044D3 (resized).jpeg
#3823 3 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

With a repo eagle and a color DMD - great deal!

#3824 3 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

[quoted image]

You got a JD with a color DMD for $1400??

Hard to believe.

edit: forgot about the long running joke...

#3825 3 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

[quoted image]

Awesome!

#3826 3 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

[quoted image]

what a steal!
congrats

#3827 3 years ago

Seems this joke is not well known, needs an explanation:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-is-a-1400-game-folks

#3828 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

With a repo eagle and a color DMD - great deal!

I was being facetious in my response

1 week later
#3829 3 years ago

Would someone tell me what the posts on each side of the Subway Entrance are? Model/part#. The ones that hold the double rubbers on each side and the wire form and plastic above the entrance. Both of mine snapped in half.

#3830 3 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

Would someone tell me what the posts on each side of the Subway Entrance are? Model/part#. The ones that hold the double rubbers on each side and the wire form and plastic above the entrance. Both of mine snapped in half.

Manual, page 2-33.

Screenshot_20201109-022808_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201109-022808_Drive (resized).jpg
#3831 3 years ago

New to the group. Super excited. I have a demo man so same era but does this opto board for my left flipper look correct? In use to the black plastic photo interrupters. Issue is this metal one is extremely stiff compared to my right flipper.

DEC81AD8-FEA6-48EA-B14D-61C96B1F4FF1 (resized).jpegDEC81AD8-FEA6-48EA-B14D-61C96B1F4FF1 (resized).jpeg
#3832 3 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

New to the group. Super excited. I have a demo man so same era but does this opto board for my left flipper look correct? In use to the black plastic photo interrupters. Issue is this metal one is extremely stiff compared to my right flipper.
[quoted image]

Welcome to the JD club. Opto board type looks OK (but optos are damaged).
You can remove one copper blade for lighter button feeling.
Screenshot_20201109-095840_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201109-095840_Drive (resized).jpg

#3833 3 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

[quoted image]

On mine, I added the heavy duty one the the right flipper so that both flippers have the same
weight/feel. I did not like the soft/light feel of the new plastic actuators. Williams would later
add a blue spring steel backing blade to the plastic actuators to "beef up" the pressure
sensitivity to the opto actuators.

#3834 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

On mine, I added the heavy duty one the the right flipper so that both flippers have the same
weight/feel. I did not like the soft/light feel of the new plastic actuators. Williams would later
add a blue spring steel backing blade to the plastic actuators to "beef up" the pressure

Thank you for mentioning this. I have been thinking about adding the reinforced version to my right flipper, glad to know it works.

#3835 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Have a link ? My right flipper is very light feeling ..,ive been wondering about this...

#3836 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Have a link ? My right flipper is very light feeling ..,ive been wondering about this...

This is the one I've seen:

https://www.thepinballwizard.net/flipper-parts/fliptronics-type-2-flipper-opto-board-assembly-williams/bally-a-17316/

#3837 3 years ago

What is the best source for good quality and correct color cabinet decals? Looking for original color scheme.

1 week later
#3838 3 years ago

To activate Air Raid does the light have to be solid or blinking? I have hit the shot but it never starts air raid. Am I missing something or is it a bad Sensor?

Never mind. I found the problem. The wire too one if the sensors came loose. Looks like I get to do my first soldering job.

#3839 3 years ago

Planetary Pinball has authorized soren to move ahead with rom updates for B/W games, which is pretty awesome, Creature is already shipping:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades

A couple of people have requested an update for Dredd already. No idea if/when soren will get around to it, but if you’d like to see a new Dredd rom it probably wouldn’t hurt to throw a word in over in that thread.

Other than patching the L7 rom to support the Deadworld mod, anyone have thoughts on glitch fixes or scoring/balance tweaks that’d be nice to see? If we put a good list together maybe we could pique @soren’s interest and jump the line a bit.

#3840 3 years ago

Now that I think of it, game restart is broken, regardless of its setting.

Then there is the family mode setting, that afaik doesn't change a thing.

Also my machine shows that high voltage circuits were locked-out when opening the coindoor, although there is no lockout switch installed (and apparently never was) - having read of machines with and without it, I don't know if this is an exception or not. Maybe another text would be fitting..

#3841 3 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

Also my machine shows that high voltage circuits were locked-out when opening the coindoor, although there is no lockout switch installed (and apparently never was)

That got me thinking I'm fairly sure mine has the 2 white switches on the left behind the coin door, in which case, that is the high voltage lock out type. All the bits from my machine are boxed up at the moment (all in pieces awaiting cab re-decal still) so i can't confirm for sure on this.

#3842 3 years ago

Just dug up some photos of my machine and nope, it has got the classic WPC 3 Slot coindoor with the single switch in the top left corner. I wonder if this is a general difference between US and EU games or they changed this some time during production?
On a side-note my game also calls out "dimensional lock", although it seems to be no early/proto game (no additional opto on the ramp and it came with the open fall-through deadworld ring and L3 software - at least when I bought it).

DSC_0536 (resized).JPGDSC_0536 (resized).JPG

#3843 3 years ago

Put in Davi 's crane. This one is available:

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
Used, good condition - “Swapped out crane mods on my Judge Dredd. Don't need two. Lights are functional. Price includes shipping to addresses in the continental USA.”
2021-02-24
Tucson, AZ
40 (OBO)
Archived after: 13 days
Viewed: 486 times

#3844 3 years ago

I just discovered something new today while playing my Judge Dredd. Multiple players can have any combination of normal or super game. I started a normal game and by accident also pressed the super game button. I always assumed that players 2 through 4 would have to be playing the same type game as player 1. Don't know how useful it is to have a mixed multiplayer game, maybe as a handicap for the weaker player?

#3845 3 years ago

Free shipping on my deadworld physical and virtual lock mod until December 1st. See https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/04276-judge-dredd-deadworld to order.

#3846 3 years ago

During my JD restoration I realized that the deadworld gearbox is open. I learned that at some point Bally changed to open version as part of cost cut.
I think open gearbox is not a good idea: no dust protection, and risk of fallen screws, washers while the playfield is lifted.
I created a perfect fit plug. Now my gearbox is closed. I am going to upload the stl file to Thingiverse soon.
(In the opened pic, originally there are 2 shafts and the screws to the motor.)

20201124_134510 (resized).jpg20201124_134510 (resized).jpg20201124_134523 (resized).jpg20201124_134523 (resized).jpg

#3847 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Other than patching the L7 rom to support the Deadworld mod, anyone have thoughts on glitch fixes or scoring/balance tweaks that’d be nice to see? If we put a good list together maybe we could pique soren’s interest and jump the line a bit.

Nobody? It's time to improve the L7 ROM, unless this version is flawless.
I would help, but I don't really know this pin, I am in the middle of restoration as 1st step (purchased as a strongly incomplete pin), and I have no memories about JD from mid '90's arcade times.

Calling @JediPimp:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/53#post-4334098

#3848 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Nobody? It's time to improve the L7 ROM, unless this version is flawless.
I would help, but I don't really know this pin, I am in the middle of restoration as 1st step (purchased as a strongly incomplete pin), and I have no memories about JD from mid '90's arcade times.
Calling JediPimp:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/53#post-4334098

I would support activities like this. I’ve supported Chadh for all his data East work.

I really appreciate people that go out of their East to improve the pinball community.

#3849 3 years ago

What's the purpose of the extra ball guide next to flippers in prototype games?

2e42414188b9a9fe9b998b56729818ce6654f86e (resized).jpg2e42414188b9a9fe9b998b56729818ce6654f86e (resized).jpg
#3850 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

What's the purpose of the extra ball guide next to flippers in prototype games?[quoted image]

Maybe to look more like other games? I always though the inlanes looked weird on a dredd because it’s just a piece of metal and it’s tall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,872 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/77?hl=rikeisland and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.