IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg
There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 98.
#3451 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Hey y'all. My crane is squeaky when it moves back and forth. Can't quite tell where the squeak originates. Anyone else ever had this and cured it? If yes, what was the cure?

Yeah mine was doing that before i pulled the machine apart to re-decal. I suspect it's coming from the gearbox itself??

#3452 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Yeah mine was doing that before i pulled the machine apart to re-decal. I suspect it's coming from the gearbox itself??

I guess I have to pull that apart then. Sigh. Thanks for the confirmation!

#3453 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Here is the 2nd version. No need to suffer from helicoil, no need to glue anything. Only a simple 8-32 slim hex nut and the original grub screw are required.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What happened with this project? Will it be for sale or are you sharing the file? I just got my 3d printer back online, this would be a great one to test out the setup.

#3454 4 years ago

Has anyone on here done a black cabinet decal versions as im keen to see a judge dredd in black but cant find any pics

#3455 4 years ago
6FD8E3EE-13A8-4953-B6FB-409C3CE2A880 (resized).jpeg6FD8E3EE-13A8-4953-B6FB-409C3CE2A880 (resized).jpeg
#3456 4 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Just an update on this. The datestamp on my L2 ROMs (12 October) is one day before the datestamp on the L3 ROMs on IPDB (13 October). I am guessing nobody has ever seen this ROM revision before, so I will try and have it uploaded to IPDB.
However, after updating U2 and U3 on the sound board with the L3 ROMs from IPDB, there's a problem. When the game boots up it reads these ROMs as version P1! Anyone else have this issue before? Are the ROMs on IPDB just incorrectly labelled?

I still haven't been able to figure this out. My original L2 sound ROMs work fine but L3 ROMs from Pinwiki first read as P1, and now they just give me a sound board interface error. Anyone else had any issues with these ROM files? Or does nobody actually run L3?

#3457 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

[quoted image]

Wow those are great. Where do you get them?

#3458 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

Is the sound kind on these machines normally flat?

The sound on my sample game was flatter than I remembered from the prior ones. When I first got it I had no sound coming from the backbox speakers, but that was easily fixed with a new amplifier on the board.

But after that it still sounded a little muffled and flat. Had to play another one to realize mine was not right. A little research showed the large caps on the sound board would cause that. So in replacing them I found they may have been done before as part of the trace that goes trough two of the holes on the board was missing. May not have been making contact at all.

New caps and fixing that issue, and it sounds great now.

#3459 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The sound on my sample game was flatter than I remembered from the prior ones. When I first got it I had no sound coming from the backbox speakers, but that was easily fixed with a new amplifier on the board.
But after that it still sounded a little muffled and flat. Had to play another one to realize mine was not right. A little research showed the large caps on the sound board would cause that. So in replacing them I found they may have been done before as part of the trace that goes trough two of the holes on the board was missing. May not have been making contact at all.
New caps and fixing that issue, and it sounds great now.

Yeah, more investigation uncovered that the sound coming from the cabinet speaker is very low, while the backbox audio sounds fine. I'm suspecting either a bad capacitor at C32 or the amp for that channel needs to be replaced. The speaker is good as it works fine in another game. I'm going to take a crack at doing some testing on the sound board this weekend.

#3460 4 years ago

I'm not sure how loud the cabinet speaker is in mine, it may not be, but what's coming out of the upper speakers sounds way better. From a distance the whole game still sounds a bit flat, but maybe that's just the way it is. Standing there playing, it is pretty crisp.

Sorry it took so long to respond, but I just fixed it day before yesterday.

It's the big caps, I believe C20 and C21 that affect it. And neither works a particular channel, they work in tandem.

#3461 4 years ago

Even with the improvement with the new caps, I've got my No Fear sitting next to it and it is much crisper and makes a louder startup bong at a lower volume setting than Judge Dredd. They use the same soundboard so I will swap them tomorrow and see if that is just the nature of the beast.

I've been a little suspect of the amplifier I used as it was an off the shelf NTE that was available local. Still way better than it was. I also read somewhere that the earliest sound rooms may not be as crisp as the later ones. Either way, swapping the boards should tell a lot.

#3462 4 years ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Has anyone on here done a black cabinet decal versions as im keen to see a judge dredd in black but cant find any pics

My JD will be done in black when it comes up on the HEP thread later this year. I sent the black decals along with my machine to Chris for the restoration.

#3463 4 years ago

On startup my JD gets the ball on crane error and a credit dot. Only way to fix this is with a newer rom version right?

#3464 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

On startup my JD gets the ball on crane error and a credit dot. Only way to fix this is with a newer rom version right?

Ball on magnet error? Are you using the dead world mod? Is it a sample game?

I believe ball on crane magnet error refers to the switch on the crane magnet that only came on sample games. Early deadworld mods that used an extra board would cause this error.

"Switch 28 Ball on magnet
The original game was designed to use a micro switch to sense that the magnet was working well enough to pick up a ball. The switch was eliminated along with the locking feature. All that remains is a 2-pin connector that hangs down under the crane. Since the switch no longer exists, this input never toggles. According to the manual, if a switch “has NOT been actuated during ball play (for 90 balls or 30 games)”, a Check Switch error will be generated on power-up until the switch is actuated. Since there is no switch you can’t toggle it and the error will persist. The L1 prom doesn’t seem to care if switch 28 comes on when the magnet picks up a ball, but if the switch is stuck on, then it thinks the ball is stuck and it loses count of the balls. This error will not affect the game. I am presently working on a small plug in circuit to eliminate this non-fatal, nuisance error."

http://www.iobium.com/judge_dredd_locking_ring_mod.htm

#3465 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Wow those are great. Where do you get them?

pinballpt.com

#3466 4 years ago

Swapped sound boards and No Fear sounds the same. Judge Dredd now sounds a little more muffled so I guess that board needs caps too. Either way, it's not the sound board. JD with the roms I have is not as loud and crisp as No Fear. Maybe speakers or updated rooms would change that. Or it is what it is.

#3467 4 years ago

Swapped speaker panels. We have a winner!! Wow.

Who's got some speakers?

#3468 4 years ago

I have a bunch of new backbox speakers, aftermarket ones. Let me go check and snap some pics if your interested

#3469 4 years ago

Right. I figured it out. Don't know what else to say.

DSCN6628 (resized).JPGDSCN6628 (resized).JPG
#3470 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Right. I figured it out. Don't know what else to say.[quoted image]

WTF? One of the craziest/dumbest things I’ve ever seen! Maybe someone didn’t know how to set the volume low so they resorted to this

#3471 4 years ago

Yeah man, i'd like to think I wasted a bit of time but it's something you would never expect.

Think I might have just found the cause of why sample games might have malfunctioned and elimination ion the dead world lock.

The switch on the crane magnet uses a plastic actuator that runs thru a metal sleeve thru the coil. It has a factory molding burr on it that causes it to stick and hold the switch on causing occasions of endless multiball or an extra ball in play. Like other things can cause. Figured that out from that article I posted earlier. It's not easy to get apart, but I'm going to file the burr and put it back together. Then we are going to rock this thing.

#3472 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Right. I figured it out. Don't know what else to say

WOW!! Baffle plates, now that's different and just when you thought you'd seen it all

#3473 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's the hardware version of:

ADJUSTMENTS -> STANDARD ADJ. -> MIN. VOL. OVERRIDE
Set to "YES".

#3474 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Uh, WTF?!

#3475 4 years ago

After fixing the crane switch actuator, JD has been rocking and playing flawlessly for hours. After a good shop ad waxing it is also the fastest Dredd I've ever played. Yep that little piece of plastic might have caused many sample games to seriously malfunction. Pointless switch in the first place.

Quoted from Davi:

That's the hardware version of:
ADJUSTMENTS -> STANDARD ADJ. -> MIN. VOL. OVERRIDE
Set to "YES".

That was my assumption. Dumasses. Couldn't have been the music.

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

What happened with this project? Will it be for sale or are you sharing the file? I just got my 3d printer back online, this would be a great one to test out the setup.

Waiting for test results.

#3477 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ball on magnet error? Are you using the dead world mod? Is it a sample game?

I believe ball on crane magnet error refers to the switch on the crane magnet that only came on sample games. Early deadworld mods that used an extra board would cause this error.

Ball on magnet error indeed. I am not using the dead world mod, and it does not have a switch there. (No proto/sample)

#3478 4 years ago

Hello

Hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem with my Judge Dredd. I have a coil that fires/activates when the machine is turned on (the START button has not been pushed). It stays activated until the machine is shut off.

The coil is the RIGHT SHOOTER. It looks like the Power Driver Assembly transistor is Q70. The Power Driver board (A-12697-3) was replaced with a Rottendog WDB089. I'm new to board issues so any help would be appreciated.

thanks

#3479 4 years ago
Quoted from fast1981:

It looks like the Power Driver Assembly transistor is Q70.

measure the leads on q70 with a multimeter, probably shorted and needs replacing. Check your coil, maybe that’s gone bad too. There’s a diode somewhere in the q70 circuit, make sure that’s good as well.

#3480 4 years ago

If the coil has shorted it has possibly shorted out the Q70 transistor not long after. Definitely a good idea to check and change both at the same time.

#3481 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Ball on magnet error indeed. I am not using the dead world mod, and it does not have a switch there. (No proto/sample)

What version ROM are you running?

My first Dredd was a production game with the early Deadworld mod and had no switch on the magnet but also had that perpetual switch error for the reasons stated in the article. Don't remember which ROM it was running, I think it had to be L-1. Without the Deadworld mod, the latest ROM should eliminate that error.

#3482 4 years ago
Quoted from fast1981:

Hello
Hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem with my Judge Dredd. I have a coil that fires/activates when the machine is turned on (the START button has not been pushed). It stays activated until the machine is shut off.
The coil is the RIGHT SHOOTER. It looks like the Power Driver Assembly transistor is Q70. The Power Driver board (A-12697-3) was replaced with a Rottendog WDB089. I'm new to board issues so any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Thank you all for responding. You are all correct, Q70 is bad.

Looking at Q70, it has the following printed on it -
F 1C33AC
FQP
13N10L

There are 2 other transistors on the board that are not used that I would like to move (steal) for Q70. They are Q48 and Q52.
The printing on Q48 and Q52 is -
F 1D07AA
FQP
13N10L

Do you know what line 1 on these transistors means? Are these 2 transistors (F 1C33AC and F 1D07AA) the same?

#3483 4 years ago

Sounds like the rottendog uses mosfets not transistors. I never owned one, replace away. the key part # is 13N10L

#3484 4 years ago

Here is a new alternate translite. I wanted to make the dark judges more prominent, and to include some relevant game features on it like the sniper shot, the nuclear towers and the deadworld. Available on ebay or at a slight discount direct if interested.
JD 2020 PST (resized).jpgJD 2020 PST (resized).jpg

#3485 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Here is a new alternate translite. I wanted to make the dark judges more prominent, and to include some relevant game features on it like the sniper shot, the nuclear towers and the deadworld. I also wanted to make the dark judges more prominent. Available on ebay or at a slight discount direct if interested.

Looks really cool My only question is how well does the GI and flashers behind the translite integrate with the images? I'm absolutely NOT having a crack at your efforts btw it really does look awesome!! I'm going off my own past use of alternative translites where for some, the led's just didn't quite marry up with the new images.

#3486 4 years ago

Thanks! I wouldnt let the lie of the lamps dictate the layout of the art. How it may align with the factory array but with comets matrix system its super easy to move lights and flashers anywhere you want them.

#3487 4 years ago

Pinstein - definitely the nicest alt translite for this game ever done... can you post some photos of it installed with the game powered up? It would be nice to be able to judge (pun intended) the translucency - whether or not it is too dark (easier to fix with brighter bulbs) or if it lets too much light through and looks washed out.

Very interested party here!

#3488 4 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't own a JD. I used to some years ago but that was when I was rifling through games and too caught up in the hobby. I am looking for a JD again though. Here is a mock up of it on the game. I would also like to redo the speaker panel to have the DMD be the display on the lawmaster motorcycle. Kind of a first person view much like the coindoor. I will have to track down those black decals once I find a JD. The print quality is specifically profiled for backlighting.
JD pin (resized).jpgJD pin (resized).jpg

#3489 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Sounds like the rottendog uses mosfets not transistors. I never owned one, replace away. the key part # is 13N10L

A sincere thank you to Kneissl Your advice was spot-on!

#3490 4 years ago

I'm addicted to this game. To me, it shoots a lot like Maiden, but has more shots. Code isn't as deep, but Maiden code isn't super deep either. There's just "more code".

#3491 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

To me, it shoots a lot like Maiden, but has more shots.

Way better music too.

1 week later
#3492 4 years ago

I keep forgetting to post here and "officially" join the club.

My game arrived with the GI connectors burnt out. I've since fixed that but took adding more light to the playfield a step further by modifying the drop target bank. Translucent targets were acquired from www.pinball-mods.com and I had some decals I designed cut.

Pictures are better than words:

5J5A3088 (resized).JPG5J5A3088 (resized).JPG5J5A3089 (resized).JPG5J5A3089 (resized).JPG5J5A3092 (resized).JPG5J5A3092 (resized).JPG5J5A3133 (resized).JPG5J5A3133 (resized).JPG

Four of the targets had to be modified to fit; more details can be found as I describe going thru the game here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast/page/13#post-5407829

I know it says "Paragon" -- you'll just have to trust me.

1 week later
#3493 4 years ago

Available in the shop, a new version with small holes like the original one!
thanks.

pursuit1 (resized).jpgpursuit1 (resized).jpgpursuit2 (resized).jpgpursuit2 (resized).jpg
#3494 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Here is a new alternate translite. I wanted to make the dark judges more prominent, and to include some relevant game features on it like the sniper shot, the nuclear towers and the deadworld. Available on ebay or at a slight discount direct if interested.
[quoted image]

This may very well be the first alternative translite where, upon first seeing it, I immediately thought "wow that looks nice". Good job!

#3495 4 years ago

For those of you that have a colorDMD in your machine, did you choose the LCD or LED version, and why? I'm going to get one here soon for my Dredd, but I'm not sure which one I want to get. I've seen both and LED works well for some games and LCD for others. Can you post some pics?

#3496 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

For those of you that have a colorDMD in your machine, did you choose the LCD or LED version, and why? I'm going to get one here soon for my Dredd, but I'm not sure which one I want to get. I've seen both and LED works well for some games and LCD for others. Can you post some pics?

LCD no reason just always bought the LCD version...

505E8FBD-4524-465F-9E55-807856A52C18 (resized).jpeg505E8FBD-4524-465F-9E55-807856A52C18 (resized).jpeg
#3497 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

I highly recommend LCD for Judge Dredd. I went LED when I had mine, based on how much I like it in Dracula, but I believe the high res smoothing on the LCD is the way to go for the JD comic style.

#3498 4 years ago

Yeah, OK that makes sense. That pic kind of seals the deal for me. Thanks!

#3499 4 years ago

I really like LED for older games. I have it in Dredd and it’s great.

#3500 4 years ago

I went with LED in my JD since I prefer the original DMD look vs the smoothing effect on the lcd version.

InShot_20200224_162702894 (resized).jpgInShot_20200224_162702894 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 85.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/70?hl=manples and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.