IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg
There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 98.
#3351 4 years ago
Quoted from charlesd:

Here's what I did with mine. The Playfield G.I. might be a bit off because I replaced some with Opmax bulbs from Comet...not at all necessary.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j08coRuUP04wOGhm_v68D4RiGTnjdsEqM90SvL9hJHs/edit?usp=sharing
Unfortunately, I didn't total everything up. If you do, let me know and I'll update the doc.
Also attached a photo of my backbox which was inspired by a TNT Amusements YouTube video.
[quoted image]

Thanks! This is great. I consolidated it a bit, I'm probably going to bulk buy whites and mix in color with stuff I have in stock. Here is what I came up with. Sorry, formatting got screwed up, copy/paste from spreadsheet.

Playfield- Controlled 10x#44
52x#555

Flashers - Playfield 4x#89
12x#906

Flashers - Backbox 16x#906

General Illimination - Playfield 16x#44
26x#555

General Illimination - Backbox 50x#555

Total #44 26
Total #555 128
Total #89 4
Total #906 28

#3352 4 years ago
3gzjeu (resized).jpg3gzjeu (resized).jpg
#3353 4 years ago

sorry if this is kind of a dumb question - but very rarely a ball won't launch out of the main shooter lane for my Dredd and no ball search gets triggered - it just remains in the shooter lane lane until i turn the game off and then on - once turned on the ball gets launched from the shooter lane and I am able to start a new game again - question is - if a ball is sitting in the shooter lane should it be eventually launching during a ball search?

#3354 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Far from it...playfield is sunlight white and the inserts and backbox look fantastic.

#3355 4 years ago
Quoted from charlesd:

Far from it...playfield is sunlight white and the inserts and backbox look fantastic.

download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpg
#3356 4 years ago
Quoted from bigballa81:

sorry if this is kind of a dumb question - but very rarely a ball won't launch out of the main shooter lane for my Dredd and no ball search gets triggered - it just remains in the shooter lane lane until i turn the game off and then on - once turned on the ball gets launched from the shooter lane and I am able to start a new game again - question is - if a ball is sitting in the shooter lane should it be eventually launching during a ball search?

I would clean every opto with q-tip and alcohol if you haven't done so recently.

What ROM do you have? I have L6 and it seems a little buggier than most WPC from that era.

#3357 4 years ago

There is a microswitch in the shooter lane that perhaps isn't always registering?

#3358 4 years ago

Where do these go? Anyone recognize them?

6A0D62C1-01F9-43B9-A3BD-E99F960858EF (resized).jpeg6A0D62C1-01F9-43B9-A3BD-E99F960858EF (resized).jpeg
#3359 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

They look like screw on soldering tips.

#3360 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They look like screw on soldering tips.

Definitely soldering iron tips.

#3361 4 years ago

I was going to say ... "they look like your know whats to screw in your you know what".

#3362 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

I would clean every opto with q-tip and alcohol if you haven't done so recently.
What ROM do you have? I have L6 and it seems a little buggier than most WPC from that era.

Thanks I’ll try the q-tip thing - how do I find out what rom I have? I know my game is a prototype, but not sure the of the rom

#3363 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is a microswitch in the shooter lane that perhaps isn't always registering?

Thanks I’ll try and scope out the microswitch thingy

#3364 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Where do these go? Anyone recognize them?[quoted image]

Haha, now that’s funny. If I remember from taking things apart they were in the ramp opto switches. They must have been holding them in because I’m short a few screws up there!

#3365 4 years ago
Quoted from bigballa81:

Thanks I’ll try the q-tip thing - how do I find out what rom I have? I know my game is a prototype, but not sure the of the rom

When you turn on the machine it will show which rom type that is installed on the dmd

#3366 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

They don't look like anything i've seen on the machine but definitely do resemble soldering iron tips There wouldn't be any practical application for a chisel tip metal post??

#3367 4 years ago
Quoted from bigballa81:

Do you have the deadworld planet lock installed? If so, that would be some version of L-1 and probably more likely to have a bug in the code. The ROM version should be displayed on the DMD briefly at startup--it will be an L-?. L-7 is latest. L-6 is probably most common in games that haven't been updated by subsequent owners. My machine has L-6 and there are definitely some minor bugs in the code though I haven't ever experienced your issue.

The game does start to do some weird stuff when the optos are dirty and there are a lot of them, so good idea to try cleaning them all first, especially the ones under the playfield at the upkicks. It also could be the shooter lane switch or trough though I would expect ball search to work through those issues and eventually fire the ball.

#3368 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Judge Dredd is a beautiful game that really pops with LEDs. I believe in using the frosted sunlight white for GI...always from comet.

I'm not a fan of the "colored" GI lights. I think the color is better left for the rubber rings (Titan is simply AWESOME).

#3369 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Judge Dredd is a beautiful game that really pops with LEDs.

I had one all LEDd out.

My current sample game features all incandescent in every socket like it came from the factory and looks way better, and is so much easier on the eyes. All my games are like that now.

It seems some people put leds in but don't bother to clean the underside of the inserts which is what made them dim in the first place.

#3370 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

They don't look like anything i've seen on the machine but definitely do resemble soldering iron tips There wouldn't be any practical application for a chisel tip metal post??

I remember when I pulled them out I was thinking “well that’s interesting”, and I’m like 90% sure they were in the ramp optos. I got this game a couple of months ago and tried to keep the tear down at a minimum for cleaning and LEDs, but there’s no way around the ramps and wire forms on this one. Putting it back together I didn’t remember where i pulled them from, but then when I saw screws missing from the optos, that when I remembered where they were.

I have found some MacGyver stuff here and there in this machine, but luckily it’s all been smaller stuff like this.

#3371 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had one all LEDd out.
My current sample game features all incandescent in every socket like it came from the factory and looks way better, and is so much easier on the eyes. All my games are like that now.
It seems some people put leds in but don't bother to clean the underside of the inserts which is what made them dim in the first place.

My #1 irritant. Every single game I have purchased with LEDs, I check the inserts and they are filthy. Simply pulling the incandescents, cleaning the bulbs and be inserts will brighten a game by about 100% in my experience. Folks will do novels on how they clean the topsides of their pins, but the undersides are usually ignored.

That being said, I think replacing incandescent with sun or daylight bulbs is a fine solution. The only place I see use for colored LEDs are when you want to enrich the existing color of an insert or add a special feature like the flame bulb. Colored LEDs are like everything else in the world... a little is tasteful, a lot is garish.

#3372 4 years ago

At one point in the hobby I was trying all kinds of combinations of bulbs including leds. Some I thought were beautiful. But I was going blind. I think it was buying a very low play Ripleys that had all original bulbs and putting a piece of invisiglass on it made me change my tune. It was plenty bright and beautiful just the way it was.

Slowly, but surely, I started undoing all of them and my eyesight is 100% better now. And they all have that warm glow reminiscent of arcades past.

#3373 4 years ago

My right popper/ wireform does an annoying thing where the ball can immediately bounce back to the popper. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all, sometimes it will do it 3 or 4 times in a row. Also the ball can occasionally hang up until a ball search bounces it loose. Not sure if this is an alignment thing or a thing the machines just do. Has anyone else experienced this?

IMG_20191123_144244115 (resized).jpgIMG_20191123_144244115 (resized).jpgIMG_20191123_144314620 (resized).jpgIMG_20191123_144314620 (resized).jpgIMG_20191123_144332613 (resized).jpgIMG_20191123_144332613 (resized).jpg
#3374 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Anyone know what size the screws are that hold on the opto switches on the stacked wire forms (that connect to the ramps) in the upper right?

Total 8 screws for 4 optos; plus 4 spacers.
Part numbers:
4004-01005-08 ms 4-40x1/2 p-ph
01-11681 spacer-ramp opto

20191123_203423 (resized).jpg20191123_203423 (resized).jpg
#3375 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

My right popper/ wireform does an annoying thing where the ball can immediately bounce back to the popper. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all, sometimes it will do it 3 or 4 times in a row. Also the ball can occasionally hang up until a ball search bounces it loose. Not sure if this is an alignment thing or a thing the machines just do. Has anyone else experienced this?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Something seems out of alignment to me. Here’s mine which has never had any issues 7403EC2B-7F60-42ED-96D2-048A043FE267 (resized).jpeg7403EC2B-7F60-42ED-96D2-048A043FE267 (resized).jpeg643D56BD-3F41-4A7E-84F8-BE9D1B773765 (resized).jpeg643D56BD-3F41-4A7E-84F8-BE9D1B773765 (resized).jpegAE629539-09C7-49DA-B438-D33DDCB95189 (resized).jpegAE629539-09C7-49DA-B438-D33DDCB95189 (resized).jpeg

#3376 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Something seems out of alignment to me. Here’s mine which has never had any issues [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those pics were perfect, thanks! Got it back aligned and popping perfect every time!

#3377 4 years ago

Can someone do me a favor and take a picture of their connector that hooks into the ball trough? Someone did a hack job on mine and it doesn't work properly. So I'm going to repin a new connector on and want to make sure all the wires are correct. I just need the picture of the connector closest to the front of the machine. Thanks in advance!

#3378 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Total 8 screws for 4 optos; plus 4 spacers.
Part numbers:
4004-01005-08 ms 4-40x1/2 p-ph
01-11681 spacer-ramp opto[quoted image]

Awesome, thanks! I was in it last night and saw I was missing one of those spacers. It also looks like the black side of the optos barely creep over the wireform rail, is it supposed to clear it better than that or is this normal?

#3379 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Awesome, thanks! I was in it last night and saw I was missing one of those spacers. It also looks like the black side of the optos barely creep over the wireform rail, is it supposed to clear it better than that or is this normal?

As I remember, here you can find pictures about stacked wireform (too):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-teardown-pics-400

#3380 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

As I remember, here you can find pictures about stacked wireform (too):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-teardown-pics-400

Awesome, picture 41 confirmed it for me. Thanks!

1 week later
#3381 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

That is because it is broken at where the hole for the pin is. Go buy a new pin and new plunger and you will be good to go.

Real life got in the way so only just getting back to solving this. Is there an openly available parts list/tear down for the machine? I'm mindful of asking lots of n00b questions and prefer to avoid that if possible.

From the advice so far, I need the following parts -

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-6306-2
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8561
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4106-01152-06

But the comment above about the pin has me wondering if that's the correct plunger and/or if I need a different part? Happy to order whatever parts needed if somebody can either confirm or point me to a schematic/manual. This is really not my forte so thanks again for all the help.

[For context as been a few weeks - the plunger in the Sniper Tower (which is plastic in mine) has come free and appears to be broken where a pin clips to or runs through the plunger]

#3382 4 years ago
Quoted from MagicPockets:

Real life got in the way so only just getting back to solving this. Is there an openly available parts list/tear down for the machine? I'm mindful of asking lots of n00b questions and prefer to avoid that if possible.
From the advice so far, I need the following parts -
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-6306-2
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8561
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4106-01152-06
But the comment above about the pin has me wondering if that's the correct plunger and/or if I need a different part? Happy to order whatever parts needed if somebody can either confirm or point me to a schematic/manual. This is really not my forte so thanks again for all the help.
[For context as been a few weeks - the plunger in the Sniper Tower (which is plastic in mine) has come free and appears to be broken where a pin clips to or runs through the plunger]

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1322/Bally_1993_Judge_Dredd_Manual.pdf

#3383 4 years ago

Absolute lifesaver - quick look and this is the part that's broken > https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=02-4668

Thank you to everyone who helped (even if with the wrong parts!) as we've now got there. Really appreciate it.

#3384 4 years ago

Hey Guys. My deadworld 12v motor is broken . Does annyone no a replacement the original is a Jhonson 35420 331521 but i can not find it annywere who can help me ...

#3385 4 years ago
Quoted from bertstomphorst:

Hey Guys. My deadworld 12v motor is broken . Does annyone no a replacement the original is a Jhonson 35420 331521 but i can not find it annywere who can help me ...

Is it just the motor? I was wondering where to get those myself. I know the gearbox with motor is super expensive but available at Marco.

PBresource rebuilds them so they may have just the motor. Another option is if it is the same motor as the crane uses which I have not checked, that assembly is only $89 at Marco.

#3387 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Is it just the motor? I was wondering where to get those myself. I know the gearbox with motor is super expensive but available at Marco.
PBresource rebuilds them so they may have just the motor. Another option is if it is the same motor as the crane uses which I have not checked, that assembly is only $89 at Marco.

The crane motor is different - unfortunately.

#3389 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

This product is currently not available.

They are hard to order from anyway.

I searched as best I could. Best bet is to contact PBresource. They rebuild these things. If they don't have it, might try to post a wanted to buy ad for a used one. It's gotta be out there somewhere.

http://www.pbresource.com/motor.html

Otherwise, it's bite the bullet time.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7985

#3390 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They are hard to order from anyway.
I searched as best I could. Best bet is to contact PBresource. They rebuild these things. If they don't have it, might try to post a wanted to buy ad for a used one. It's gotta be out there somewhere.
http://www.pbresource.com/motor.html
Otherwise, it's bite the bullet time.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7985

$379 for a pinball gearbox/motor? I know it's an upgraded one, and a problematic part, but... $379?

#3391 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

I know it's an upgraded one, and a problematic part, but... $379?

Lucky to have it available at all. A few years ago there were none.

Again check with PB resource. When no parts were available to the public, they were to whoever is doing the rebuilds for them. That is the best advice I can give.

#3392 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Lucky to have it available at all. A few years ago there were none.
Again check with PB resource. When no parts were available to the public, they were to whoever is doing the rebuilds for them. That is the best advice I can give.

Yes, at least it's available, and brand new. Has anybody tried these?

#3393 4 years ago

if you have sticker shock maybe go over your broken motor again to be sure its damaged , if its out of the game you apply 12 volts to the motor to see ? if the motor is shot for certain i would not hesitate spending 400 on a 3000 machine if thats all that wrong with it , with pinball parts it seems like availability of the part might concern me more than the price
and if the part is an upgraded version than you can at least feel good you have bulletproofed the dead world motor and gear box

#3394 4 years ago

My machine has a mono orange panel at the back but I've noticed some with colour LEDs, is that a mod or a different version of the machine? Anything I can do to upgrade mine? Also, are there any other "must have" mods I should be looking at?

#3395 4 years ago

https://www.colordmd.com/

if you add your machines to your collection list in pinside then the advertisements will show you things that might be of interest you in the way of mod's for your games

#3396 4 years ago
Quoted from Dragon:

if you add your machines to your collection list in pinside then the advertisements will show you things that might be of interest you in the way of mod's for your games

That's a good reason not to then.

#3397 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's a good reason not to then.

yes I see your point here , don't do it if you don't want ad's

#3398 4 years ago

As far as the original deadworld motor, the one I owned that had failed seemed to be a result of the crane coming loose and dropping into the cutout on the planet ring. This caused it to stop turning and the weak point in the gearbox is where one of the gears is splined onto a shaft. Strip that it stops working.

I was able to repair it with plumbing solder, but it was very difficult to get it perfectly straight but it worked after many attempts. Perhaps the new gearbox has eliminated that weak link. Don't know what happens if the crane drops on one of those.

#3399 4 years ago

So, I had started an attempted restoration of my Dredd and got as far and putting new decals on the cabinet (pictures posted previously in this thread). It came out okay... just okay. A lot better than it was for sure. But doing so made me realize that the cabinet had way more issues and I should have just replaced the cabinet all together. There are also things with my game that need addressing that I am not completely comfortable tackling myself due to my limited experience. Don't get me wrong, I am fairly handy and have rebuilt motors, restored classic cars, worked on my pins before, rebuilt slot machines, etc... but there are just some things on the pinball machine I have not done and was not comfortable tackling them without some sort of walk through YouTube video to guide me.. lol

Anyway, I contacted Chris Hutchins about a possible restoration and he told me he has done one Judge Dredd before and had a lot of fun doing it and would look forward to doing another. I know the pin is not worth anywhere near what I am going to put into it, but I love JD and was a huge JD comic fan back in the 80's, so its a bit of a grail theme for me and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. On Monday, my JD shipped out to North Carolina to get the HEP treatment. So it looks like I will have JD HEP #2 in the world someday. He tends to think it is a 6-8 month turnaround currently with his backlog of games. I'm sure it will probably be more like a year, but looking forward to seeing it pop up in the HEP thread someday next year when he gets to it! Can't wait to get it back and see what he has done!

Oh, and since he is probably going to do a brand new cabinet, I went with the "black edition" decals this time. Looking forward to seeing the final product!

JD1 (resized).jpgJD1 (resized).jpgJD2 (resized).jpgJD2 (resized).jpg
#3400 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

So, I had started an attempted restoration of my Dredd and got as far and putting new decals on the cabinet (pictures posted previously in this thread). It came out okay... just okay. A lot better than it was for sure. But doing so made me realize that the cabinet had way more issues and I should have just replaced the cabinet all together. There are also things with my game that need addressing that I am not completely comfortable tackling myself due to my limited experience. Don't get me wrong, I am fairly handy and have rebuilt motors, restored classic cars, worked on my pins before, rebuilt slot machines, etc... but there are just some things on the pinball machine I have not done and was not comfortable tackling them without some sort of walk through YouTube video to guide me.. lol
Anyway, I contacted Chris Hutchins about a possible restoration and he told me he has done one Judge Dredd before and had a lot of fun doing it and would look forward to doing another. I know the pin is not worth anywhere near what I am going to put into it, but I love JD and was a huge JD comic fan back in the 80's, so its a bit of a grail theme for me and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. On Monday, my JD shipped out to North Carolina to get the HEP treatment. So it looks like I will have JD HEP #2 in the world someday. He tends to think it is a 6-8 month turnaround currently with his backlog of games. I'm sure it will probably be more like a year, but looking forward to seeing it pop up in the HEP thread someday next year when he gets to it! Can't wait to get it back and see what he has done!
Oh, and since he is probably going to do a brand new cabinet, I went with the "black edition" decals this time. Looking forward to seeing the final product![quoted image][quoted image]

Can’t wait to see it when Chris is done with it. Good move, great game, deserving of a High End Pin restore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.