IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg
There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 98.
#3301 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I pulled the drop assy, dismantled it, and cleaned it in the ultrasonic. It's much better now. The Target Trip Switch spots the "D", for entrance to the subway.

Evan,

What actually drops the 'D' target? Looking at the manual, I don't spot it. Mancave mentioned a loop of wire? What solenoid actually pulls it down? Item 4 in the drawing pops them up.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3302 4 years ago

Pc 19 is a small coil with a wire attached to it--the dotted line coming out of Pc 19. The coil rotates the wire when it fires and a bend in the wire bumps the middle target. You can sort of see it in the picture on post #3230

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/65#post-5224474

#3303 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

Pc 19 is a small coil with a wire attached to it--the dotted line coming out of Pc 19. The coil rotates the wire when it fires and a bend in the wire bumps the middle target. You can sort of see it in the picture on post #3230
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/65#post-5224474

Thanks Howard - live and learn, I guess.

I've owned the pin for two years, and I don't recall ever seeing it drop (maybe I simply missed it). I can test this from the menu?

#3304 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Thanks Howard - live and learn, I guess.
I've owned the pin for two years, and I don't recall ever seeing it drop (maybe I simply missed it). I can test this from the menu?

Yes. Go into test mode > solenoid tests. Cycle through them until you find something like "trip drop targ". You'll have to close the coin door ( or at least push the closed door buttons manually) to let power flow to solenoid for test.

#3305 4 years ago

The wire mentioned is held captive by the strip of black plastic that is screwed to the main body of the assembly (item 20 in the diagram) At the bottom of the plastic it has little "claws" for want of a better term that hold the wire in place when the plastic is screwed on, which prevents the wire from falling down into the assembly and rendering that loop useless. Quite often when the center target isn't dropping properly it's because that plastic is broken and the wire has dropped.

#3306 4 years ago

Son of a gun...it did drop in the test mode. LOL, never noticed that during game play!

Thanks for info guys.

#3307 4 years ago

Here is how the 5 bank works:

JD_5bank (resized).JPGJD_5bank (resized).JPG
#3308 4 years ago

We were dicussing the other day, isn't JD the only 90s B/W with a 5 bank drop target? Or that many period?

#3309 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Here is how the 5 bank works:[quoted image]

Holy cow, did you build that cad model just for this thread?

#3310 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Thanks Davi! Where in the heck did you get that image?!

#3311 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Holy cow, did you build that cad model just for this thread?

It's not my merit.
When I was in a hunt for a drop target, I found this cad drawing.

#3312 4 years ago

Just a quick repost in case anybody can help (or direct me to a better place to post?)

The plastic "plunger" under the sniper tower is jumping out of the housing when it's triggered and I can't seem to get it to lock/latch in any way. Is there something I could be missing, or does it need adhesive or something?

Any help is hugely appreciated as it killing me removing the pf everytime it happens

#3313 4 years ago
Quoted from MagicPockets:

The plastic "plunger" under the sniper tower is jumping out of the housing when it's triggered and I can't seem to get it to lock/latch in any way. Is there something I could be missing, or does it need adhesive or something?

Any help is hugely appreciated as it killing me removing the pf everytime it happens

The black plastic popper cup should have a screw in the middle which screws into the end of the popper rod to keep it attached.
Missing the screw? or is the cup itself busted out around the screw hole? The popper rod itself shouldn't be able to come out as it goes through the coil and has a flattened end on it.
Rod reference >> https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-6306-2
Popper cup reference >> https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8561
Screw reference >> https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4106-01152-06
According to the manual that's the screw used anyway

#3314 4 years ago

Would anybody be interested in a picture of the switch on the crane magnet?

#3315 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

The black plastic popper cup should have a screw in the middle which screws into the end of the popper rod to keep it attached.

Thanks for the reply, massively helpful. This is what I'm working with :/
IMG_20191106_084059 (resized).jpgIMG_20191106_084059 (resized).jpg

It seems like it clips onto the bar inside the spring, but this isn't holding in place. Once it's in and you apply gentle pressure it lifts the plunger in the coil, but if you put it under any stress it pops out again.

Screenshot_20191106-085023 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191106-085023 (resized).png
#3316 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Do you know where i can find the 3D of the plastic crane + metal arm + magnet?
Working on a mod to replace all, here the concept.
Thanks

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#3317 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply, massively helpful. This is what I'm working with

Is that shaft under the cap metal? hard to tell in the pic cause it's as black as the cap. If that's the case then the popper rod shaft is broken?? I'm wondering if that's the correct assembly??

#3318 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Is that shaft under the cap metal? hard to tell in the pic cause it's as black as the cap. If that's the case then the popper rod shaft is broken?? I'm wondering if that's the correct assembly??

The whole plunger is plastic. I may just try a dot of gorilla glue for now as a intermittent fix and order the part you mentioned.

Out of curiosity, how does the shaft adhere to the main mechanism? Is it a clip on the bottom or is it wedged into the spring itself?

#3319 4 years ago

Just picked up a JD over the weekend and had a couple questions.

One being about the right ramp. I've noticed when you nail the right ramp that the ball can really sail through fast and ends up jumping off the rail on it's way to the right flipper. There's nothing to really slow it down, and bending the rail to more of an incline doesn't seem like it will help. Should there be a ball flap or something to slow the ball down or does this happen on all JD machines?

Another question is about the sniper tower coil, it randomly keeps firing sometimes after playing for a bit. I'm thinking the coil either gets hot, and needs replaced, or the opto is misfiring and needs cleaned/adjusted. I'll be testing it further in the next couple days, just wasn't sure if it's a common problem or not.

#3320 4 years ago

Need an Air Raid ramp, but I guess it's going to be a little tough to find. Last night, the ball knocked a chunk off. It actually broke in a decent place to where I can kind of snap it back in, but can anyone give me any advice what I could use to repair the plastic? Some kind of glue? I definitely have to rig something up before I can play it again.
Of course this had to happen only 2 games after installing a colordmd, art blades, and eagle topper. Felt so good for 10 minutes then this lol. Still damn pretty though!

20191106_074215 (resized).jpg20191106_074215 (resized).jpg20191106_074232 (resized).jpg20191106_074232 (resized).jpg20191106_074206 (resized).jpg20191106_074206 (resized).jpg20191105_200312 (resized).jpg20191105_200312 (resized).jpg
#3321 4 years ago

Glue won't eliminate the root cause. This is a design flaw: as you can see, there is a deformation on the metal protector (next to target). This metal takes over all the force to the plastic ramp. That's why so many broken Air Raid ramp out there.
I am also looking for suggestions, how to protect the ramp.

#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from ragefactory:

Thanks
[quoted image]

I have no info about other drawing.

#3323 4 years ago
Quoted from BirdForce1:

this had to happen only 2 games after installing a colordmd, art blades, and eagle topper. Felt so good for 10 minutes then this lol. Still damn pretty though!

You need to rebend the "T" bracket to the oblong target... so as to move the target face
forward... so as it could buffer/protect the edge of the metal wall to the ramp.
Consecutive hits to the exposed edge of the metal ramp protector most likely
caused it to break.

#3324 4 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

One being about the right ramp. I've noticed when you nail the right ramp that the ball can really sail through fast and ends up jumping off the rail on it's way to the right flipper. There's nothing to really slow it down, and bending the rail to more of an incline doesn't seem like it will help. Should there be a ball flap or something to slow the ball down or does this happen on all JD machines?
Another question is about the sniper tower coil, it randomly keeps firing sometimes after playing for a bit. I'm thinking the coil either gets hot, and needs replaced, or the opto is misfiring and needs cleaned/adjusted. I'll be testing it further in the next couple days, just wasn't sure if it's a common problem or not.

The attachment point for the ramp to sling is broken on many JD’s which effects the geometry of the ramp causing the ball to fly off. Cliffy makes a repair kit that works sometimes. People also use a couple washers to hold it to the attachment point. A picture would help.

Doubt the sniper coil is bad. Sounds like a switch issue. Take it apart to inspect and clean. Windex on q-tip for opto then dry with other end of q-tip.

#3325 4 years ago

Just a quick repost in case anybody can help (or direct me to a better place to post?)

The assembly drawing is in the manual available on IMDb.org. Take the whole thing apart below playfield and inspect against the drawing. Don’t use gorilla glue. Order the parts and repair properly. Unusual for something like that to break. It doesn’t fire frequently. The coil may have overheated at some point and deformed.

#3326 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

The assembly drawing is in the manual available on IMDb.org. Take the whole thing apart below playfield and inspect against the drawing. Don’t use gorilla glue. Order the parts and repair properly. Unusual for something like that to break. It doesn’t fire frequently. The coil may have overheated at some point and deformed

Is it supposed to be a plastic shaft that long with the cup on the end like in the pic though? according to the manual it's a metal rod with the plastic cup screwed onto the end. That was why i was suggesting in a previous post it may have the wrong parts, or did earlier versions have different popper assembly parts? The one on mine and the one on the project machine i did had a metal rod with the plastic cup like the links from Marco's i added.

#3327 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply, massively helpful. This is what I'm working with :/
[quoted image]
It seems like it clips onto the bar inside the spring, but this isn't holding in place. Once it's in and you apply gentle pressure it lifts the plunger in the coil, but if you put it under any stress it pops out again.[quoted image]

That is because it is broken at where the hole for the pin is. Go buy a new pin and new plunger and you will be good to go.

#3328 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Is it supposed to be a plastic shaft that long with the cup on the end like in the pic though? according to the manual it's a metal rod with the plastic cup screwed onto the end. That was why i was suggesting in a previous post it may have the wrong parts, or did earlier versions have different popper assembly parts? The one on mine and the one on the project machine i did had a metal rod with the plastic cup like the links from Marco's i added.

Good catch. My game also has a metal shaft and screwed on cup and it’s an early sample game.

#3329 4 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

I have the same fly off issue on mine. It can be really annoying, especially when the ball sails directly into the outlane.

As for the sniper popper, it’s probably the opto there is starting to flake out. Just had the same thing happen, so I replaced the opto emitter and receiver and it’s all good now.

#3330 4 years ago
Quoted from ragefactory:

Thanks
[quoted image]

That’s fucking rad.

#3331 4 years ago
Quoted from ragefactory:

Thanks
[quoted image]

Holy crap Rage!! That is an awesome idea!! The crane never made any sense to me picking up a ball from a spinning planet. But the hand of Judge Death takes it to a whole different level!! First you make the awesome nuke towers and now this! Hopefully once you get it all figured out, you put me down on the list of one of those that want to send you money!!

#3332 4 years ago

ragefactory
Great work! Hope to see it for sale soon!

#3333 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I have a sample JD with a factory brass apron.

I have a brass apron. Does that mean mine is a sample game or something?

#3334 4 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I have a brass apron. Does that mean mine is a sample game or something?

Does yours have the all the other features a sample game does?

#3335 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I have the same fly off issue on mine. It can be really annoying, especially when the ball sails directly into the outlane.
As for the sniper popper, it’s probably the opto there is starting to flake out. Just had the same thing happen, so I replaced the opto emitter and receiver and it’s all good now.

Yes the ball flying off and draining has happened way too many times already for just getting the machine this past weekend. I'm going to check to see if what "luckymoey" suggested will help solve the problem.

I'll try cleaning the opto first to see if that helps the sniper tower problem.

#3336 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Does yours have the all the other features a sample game does?

I too have a brass apron and never thought too much of it. I know it's not a prototype because it's lacking those differences, but what is different between production and sample?

#3337 4 years ago

Not sure if posted here before but have a couple JD playfields from the WMS closout ... if interested email me and I can pull and see what condition, etc ...

[email protected]

#3338 4 years ago

What I could really use are some playfield plastics for mine.

Are those going to be in stock anytime soon?

Quoted from aeonblack:

but what is different between production and sample?

Quoted from o-din:

the sniper plastic with the shooter on it and the left ramp opto at the entrance. It will also have a slightly different switch matrix and a switch on the crane magnet.

#3339 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

The attachment point for the ramp to sling is broken on many JD’s which effects the geometry of the ramp causing the ball to fly off. Cliffy makes a repair kit that works sometimes. People also use a couple washers to hold it to the attachment point. A picture would help.
Doubt the sniper coil is bad. Sounds like a switch issue. Take it apart to inspect and clean. Windex on q-tip for opto then dry with other end of q-tip.

Attached two pictures to see if what you are referring to is broken or not. I couldn't see anything specifically that would be missing/broken. Played a few more games last night and had several balls fly off the rail and drain.

JD Pic1 (resized).jpgJD Pic1 (resized).jpgJD Pic2 (resized).jpgJD Pic2 (resized).jpg
#3340 4 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

Attached two pictures to see if what you are referring to is broken or not. I couldn't see anything specifically that would be missing/broken. Played a few more games last night and had several balls fly off the rail and drain.[quoted image][quoted image]

Your plastic ramp attachment tab looks great. Most are broken off or cracked. The only thing I see that could be contributing to the problem is your wire form is secured under the sling shot plastic when it should be on top of the plastic. Beyond that, you may need to just gently push up or down on the plastic ramp portion to adjust the angle of the wire form until it's dialed in.

#3341 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Your plastic ramp attachment tab looks great. Most are broken off or cracked. The only thing I see that could be contributing to the problem is your wire form is secured under the sling shot plastic when it should be on top of the plastic. Beyond that, you may need to just gently push up or down on the plastic ramp portion to adjust the angle of the wire form until it's dialed in.

Ok great, thanks for the tip. I'll try what you said and hopefully that will help.

#3342 4 years ago

Going through a parts-bin I found some JD parts.
But have two questions, the lamp-boards, is this a complete set?

About the pursuit-assy's, is there a right and left version? or do these come from two JD's and are they both for one side?

Thanks

JD-LampPCB (resized).jpgJD-LampPCB (resized).jpgJD-Pursuit (resized).jpgJD-Pursuit (resized).jpg
#3343 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

About the pursuit-assy's, is there a right and left version?

Yeah there is a right and left version. They look like 2 lefts to me.

#3344 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Going through a parts-bin I found some JD parts.
But have two questions, the lamp-boards, is this a complete set?
About the pursuit-assy's, is there a right and left version? or do these come from two JD's and are they both for one side?
Thanks[quoted image][quoted image]

Board set looks complete.
Pursuit assy set:

20191018_160258 (resized).jpg20191018_160258 (resized).jpg
#3345 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Yeah there is a right and left version. They look like 2 lefts to me.

Quoted from Davi:

Board set looks complete.
Pursuit assy set:

Thanks guys, appreciated!

#3346 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

That is because it is broken at where the hole for the pin is. Go buy a new pin and new plunger and you will be good to go.

Thank you all, will give it a whirl.

#3347 4 years ago

Joined the club yesterday and I'm super happy with my machine! The machine is missing its topper, is a bit faded and the right flipper doesn't flip everytime you push the button. Other than that its near perfect and original! (And a lot cheaper than the $3500 machines currently on the Dutch marketplace lol)

20191114_224120 (resized).jpg20191114_224120 (resized).jpg
#3348 4 years ago

Does anyone have an LED list? I'm planning on making an LED order to either Cointaker or Comet for Black Friday.

#3349 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Does anyone have an LED list? I'm planning on making an LED order to either Cointaker or Comet for Black Friday.

Here's what I did with mine. The Playfield G.I. might be a bit off because I replaced some with Opmax bulbs from Comet...not at all necessary.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j08coRuUP04wOGhm_v68D4RiGTnjdsEqM90SvL9hJHs/edit?usp=sharing

Unfortunately, I didn't total everything up. If you do, let me know and I'll update the doc.

Also attached a photo of my backbox which was inspired by a TNT Amusements YouTube video.
JD_backbox3 (resized).jpgJD_backbox3 (resized).jpg

#3350 4 years ago

Anyone know what size the screws are that hold on the opto switches on the stacked wire forms (that connect to the ramps) in the upper right?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.