IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg
There are 4,871 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 98.
#3251 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Getting under the playfield, I see the top gear slips because one of the teeth is either gone or bent, so it doesn’t catch unless I push the rotation.

Mine is damaged in the same way. I've thought about trying to tighten it slightly with a heavy zip tie across the two shafts. If I could find gears, I would rebuild. Barring that, there was a way that I thought of that might work or be a total disaster. Put a dab of JB Weld on it and let the remaining teeth "cut" grooves in it. Rotate it away from the worn area with jb weld and let it harden into "new teeth."
Now, this is just a crazy idea I had while looking at one that would probably be replaced with a Marco unit if I route it, so don't try it unless you are also willing to toss the whole unit if it goes bad.

1 week later
#3252 4 years ago

Anyone remaking the pursuit plastics yet?

#3253 4 years ago

Out of stock now, but this is where I got a set of them

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/a-18616.html

#3254 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Out of stock now, but this is where I got a set of them
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/a-18616.html

I got a set, and they're nice, but getting the decals on them was kind of a bastard. Wish they made them printed.

#3255 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I got a set, and they're nice, but getting the decals on them was kind of a bastard. Wish they made them printed.

Same thing I experienced. And then the decals lifting up after awhile

#3256 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Same thing I experienced. And then the decals lifting up after awhile

Printed version is possible. If the demand is real, I will consider to create a printed plastic.
Do we really need the hole at the top?

#3257 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Printed version is possible. If the demand is real, I will consider to create a printed plastic.
Do we really need the hole at the top?

Hole not needed. Like to see some more pictures of yours

#3258 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

And then the decals lifting up after awhile

For one those replacement plastics did not provide a flat surface to attach the decals to. For two I crazy glued those decals down and now they are on there for good.

#3259 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Hole not needed. Like to see some more pictures of yours

My restoration is in progress, and the original plastic is broken, decal is faded.
Options:
Print on clear plastic, then curve it
3D print, tricolor translucent version, without decal

20191020_124110 (resized).jpg20191020_124110 (resized).jpg20191020_124315 (resized).jpg20191020_124315 (resized).jpg
#3260 4 years ago

Just print the tri color, it looks/works well enough and I can’t imagine they would cost much. Or do both I guess? My games on location so it doesn’t need to be perfect and I’d rather throw cheap 3D printed ones on and save nos style for when it comes home.

#3261 4 years ago
Quoted from Baron_VonLoppnow:

OK - update on post #3241. I know a few other clues to my "right popper" issue... (1) It isn't just the right popper that isn't working. Other things not working include a non-working diverter that pushes locked ball 3 into the planet, many lights including the "D" of the drop targets, the "PURSUIT" light in the chain, the "MISDEMEANOR" light just below that, add-on stadium lights and add-on LED lights back by trough. I swear the crane magnet isn't as powerful too during the test. (2) I removed all fuses from the power board, tested for resistance with multimeter, and all tested good. (3) After re-installing all fuses and turning the game back on, EVERYTHING started working again......(4) But, 5 plays later all malfunctions simultaneously re-appeared and have stayed.
Can a partially faulty fuse cause multiple random intermittent issues to appear/disappear? Is there something else on the power board I should be checking, or elsewhere? These different malfunctions simultaneously coming and going may be a clue. This is so flippin weird......has something like this happened to any of you?

Was experiencing a similar type issue (short) in my JM and found it by using the matrix in the manual. The lights you are referring to are all on the same line. Start at the backbox and chase these colored wires down and look for cut/jammed or loose wire along the way. Red/Orange are your wire colors and J133 (4th position wire) is where they originate on the board. Your up kick from sniper tower is on a switch not the lamps circuit so you would look to use the switch matrix to diagnose that. Could be the switch or the solenoid. Hope this gets you started. You can download manual at IPDB
FFA94586-2780-4671-A8FA-5A9246A9DC49 (resized).jpegFFA94586-2780-4671-A8FA-5A9246A9DC49 (resized).jpeg49353A56-E42A-4F3E-BA0D-E4A784A90B2E (resized).png49353A56-E42A-4F3E-BA0D-E4A784A90B2E (resized).png

#3262 4 years ago

I'm the new owner of a "100% working" Judge Dredd!

Trying to work out a few Gremlins to make it legit 100%.

Is the target trip switch supposed to spot the "U" drop target? I'm guessing yes, though mine just fires repeatedly and kind of wiggles the "U".

And is L7 the best rom set? I've got L6 and wonder if it's worth upgrading (I do not have the dead world mod).

I've also got an issue where it frequently ends a ball in play as if I drained, I think that must be an issue with the trough opto even though it works ok on test.

#3263 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Is the target trip switch supposed to spot the "U" drop target? I'm guessing yes, though mine just fires repeatedly and kind of wiggles the "U".
And is L7 the best rom set? I've got L6 and wonder if it's worth upgrading (I do not have the dead world mod).
I've also got an issue where it frequently ends a ball in play as if I drained, I think that must be an issue with the trough opto even though it works ok on test.

What's the "target trip switch"? I'm not aware of anything that spots a letter other than the subway so I think you have something faulty.

L7 is the most current ROM. According to the revision notes there isn't much different from L6, but L6 has a few bugs, so I have a feeling there might be some more fixes that didn't make the revision notes. I am curious to see if folks familiar with both have any examples of scoring changes.

Sounds like your last trough opto is intermittently failing. It might be worth it to invest in a new tough opto board set since the old ones have a reputation for failing.

#3264 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

What's the "target trip switch"? I'm not aware of anything that spots a letter other than the subway so I think you have something faulty.
L7 is the most current ROM. According to the revision notes there isn't much different from L6, but L6 has a few bugs, so I have a feeling there might be some more fixes that didn't make the revision notes. I am curious to see if folks familiar with both have any examples of scoring changes.
Sounds like your last trough opto is intermittently failing. It might be worth it to invest in a new tough opto board set since the old ones have a reputation for failing.

I pulled the drop assy, dismantled it, and cleaned it in the ultrasonic. It's much better now. The Target Trip Switch spots the "D", for entrance to the subway.

I'll probably order spare opto boards, along with spare flipper optos regardless, I know both can fail. Tomorrow I'll replace connectors at trough and clean optos, with the hope that doing that will fix the current issues.

Other things on the to-do are to clean and re-sleeve the coils at left and right kicker, they're both kind of weak, figure out what's making the god-awful squeaking sound at the crane and try to eliminate it, figure out why the crane moves around sometimes besides at the start of multi-ball - I figure it must need some calibration similar to the crane in Last Action Hero.

So far I'm liking the abundance of little challenges and oddball things in this game. Dunno if I'd ever bother with playing a supergame though.

#3265 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Dunno if I'd ever bother with playing a supergame though.

Apart from the fact that if you don't ever play super game the machine can show an error message eventually, super game is really FUN

#3266 4 years ago

Need some help here, I’ve got my dredd at my farthest route location. Last time I was there someone happened to get a stuck ball. It’s a rather odd spot but I vaguely remember getting one stuck there as well. I don’t want this to become an issue so I started looking at pictures and it appears some have a clear washer in that spot? Could someone help me and and maybe troubleshoot so I don’t drive an hour to resolve without the part I need? I would really appreciate it. Im getting stuck between the number 2 and 25. I have no washer there and if I move the wire form over it won’t send the ball into the plunger properly.

984D2BDA-5ABB-4AD2-9705-C5DFCFB5D2BF (resized).png984D2BDA-5ABB-4AD2-9705-C5DFCFB5D2BF (resized).png
#3267 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Need some help here, I’ve got my dredd at my farthest route location. Last time I was there someone happened to get a stuck ball. It’s a rather odd spot but I vaguely remember getting one stuck there as well. I don’t want this to become an issue so I started looking at pictures and it appears some have a clear washer in that spot? Could someone help me and and maybe troubleshoot so I don’t drive an hour to resolve without the part I need? I would really appreciate it. Im getting stuck between the number 2 and 25. I have no washer there and if I move the wire form over it won’t send the ball into the plunger properly.[quoted image]

Not really clear on where/how the ball is getting stuck, but the plastic washer is factory so should be there. Would also make sure the Wireform is attached to the slingshot properly - it’s not unusual for people to put it back together improperly effecting the slope of the wireform.

#3268 4 years ago

This is how it should look:

2FAF29ED-D778-4C35-85BE-5F81F983987C (resized).jpeg2FAF29ED-D778-4C35-85BE-5F81F983987C (resized).jpegF762244F-F89F-4B29-B2FF-B8972C888342 (resized).jpegF762244F-F89F-4B29-B2FF-B8972C888342 (resized).jpeg
#3269 4 years ago

It's been quate a while, but I contained all four evil judges during multiball the other day. Unfortunately I floundered after that.

#3270 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's been quate a while, but I contained all four evil judges during multiball the other day. Unfortunately I floundered after that.

That's a tough one and is pretty rewarding when it happens. The only more difficult achievement is getting to watch the safe guy get fried before his turkey dinner and not draining immediately after.

#3271 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Not really clear on where/how the ball is getting stuck, but the plastic washer is factory so should be there. Would also make sure the Wireform is attached to the slingshot properly - it’s not unusual for people to put it back together improperly effecting the slope of the wireform.

I’ve tried to find that washer in the manual to get a size, if you place a ball under that nut that holds the wire form is there enough space between the two for the ball to fall down? I’m assuming this issue is why that washer exist. I’ll take a few fender washer and see what I can do. Thanks for the pics and help!

#3272 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

That's a tough one and is pretty rewarding when it happens. The only more difficult achievement is getting to watch the safe guy get fried before his turkey dinner and not draining immediately after.

Yes, it's rewarding just getting there. Not sure if ever completed the mode after. Is it similar to the other wizard mode after completing all the chain features except with four balls instead of six?

#3273 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

I’ve tried to find that washer in the manual to get a size, if you place a ball under that nut that holds the wire form is there enough space between the two for the ball to fall down? I’m assuming this issue is why that washer exist. I’ll take a few fender washer and see what I can do. Thanks for the pics and help!

Size of washer:
Diameter: 44 mm
Cut distance from center: 12 mm

#3274 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Looks like a ball could easily get trapped behind the wireform and lock nut if the washer wasn’t there. A fender washer may help. May also want to check that there isn’t an issue with the wireform that is causing the ball to more easily fly off.

#3275 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

The Target Trip Switch spots the "D", for entrance to the subway...

Is this a shot that drops the center drop target (without actually hitting the D target)?

#3276 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Size of washer:
Diameter: 44 mm
Cut distance from center: 12 mm

Thanks so much for the dimensions!!

Quoted from luckymoey:

Looks like a ball could easily get trapped behind the wireform and lock nut if the washer wasn’t there. A fender washer may help. May also want to check that there isn’t an issue with the wireform that is causing the ball to more easily fly off.

Supposedly it was just from a random air ball and not from falling off the wire form. the gentleman playing was knowledgeable about pins in general so I’d trust him. Thanks for all the help guys. One last thing Just to make sure I don’t screw this up, the washer goes between the wireform tab and the nut? Or sitting on top of the plastic underneath the wire and nut. It’s hard to tell from the picture.

#3277 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Is this a shot that drops the center drop target (without actually hitting the D target)?

Must admit i've never heard of that before. I'm thinking it's the mode where the center target stays down all the time the mode is activated....safe cracker i think it's called?? can't check on my machine cause it's in bits
In that case it's not a switch as such but controlled by the CPU.

#3278 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Yup!

#3279 4 years ago

Hmmm...I'll have to go look for that switch! When I cleaned the drop targets a couple of years ago, I don't recall seeing a mechanism to perform that, but I admit I could have easily missed it.

#3280 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

One last thing Just to make sure I don’t screw this up, the washer goes between the wireform tab and the nut? Or sitting on top of the plastic underneath the wire and nut. It’s hard to tell from the picture.

Between wireform and nut.

#3281 4 years ago

Where's the switch? what activates it?

#3282 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hmmm...I'll have to go look for that switch! When I cleaned the drop targets a couple of years ago, I don't recall seeing a mechanism to perform that, but I admit I could have easily missed it.

Been some time since i've had my target bank off the machine but isn't the center target dropped via that wire that runs across the bank? has a small loop in the wire right where the center target is and i thought it was controlled/dropped via the coil??

#3283 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Been some time since i've had my target bank off the machine but isn't the center target dropped via that wire that runs across the bank? has a small loop in the wire right where the center target is and i thought it was controlled/dropped via the coil??

I'm going to have to pop the top tonight and see what's under the hood!

#3284 4 years ago

On the subject of drop targets, I noticed a strange behaviour, or what I believe to be strange, with my game. If the subway entrance is open ("D" drop target is down) and you make that shot, it will spot whatever letter is flashing as expected. When the "E" is flashing and I hit that shot, it completes "JUDGE", resets the bank and then spots the "J" and makes the "U" the first letter flashing.

If I just hit the drop targets in proper order to complete "JUDGE" then the bank resets and the "J" is the letter flashing.

Is the behaviour completing "JUDGE" by shooting the subway normal or do I need to go figure out what's wonky with my optos/switches?

Thanks!

Dino Z.

#3285 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Where's the switch? what activates it?

It's system activated. In multi ball, if you make the left ramp then jackpot is lit. The system will trigger the mechanism which drops the middle target so you can make the subway for jackpot.

There's a small solenoid on the side of the reset assy that moves a bent wire behind the drop targets to trip the middle target.

#3286 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, it's rewarding just getting there. Not sure if ever completed the mode after. Is it similar to the other wizard mode after completing all the chain features except with four balls instead of six?

6 ball only comes out in Supergame, Ultimate Challenge is always just 4 ball as as far as I recall and just goes on until you drain back down to 1 ball.

#3287 4 years ago

I think I've dealt with my ball ending issue by cleaning trough optos and replacing connectors, they were getting pretty beat.

Next thing I'd like to tackle is my left shooter. Sometimes it kicks the ball back out just fine, sometimes it's very weak. I think this is probably a timing thing, based on the speed of the ball when it hits the switch. Does anyone else notice this, and if yes is there actually a way to dial it in so it always kicks back strongly? It's just disappointing feeling when it kicks out with a dribble.

#3288 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

6 ball only comes out in Supergame, Ultimate Challenge is always just 4 ball as as far as I recall and just goes on until you drain back down to 1 ball.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten it's been so long. But I had been without a Dredd for a couple years.

Not sure which is more satisfying, containing the four judges or taking the long way completing the chain features. Both kinda hit the spot. I did both in the same game once.

#3289 4 years ago

I have a sample JD with a factory brass apron. I assume they costed it out of production games, but can't find any information or other examples of it on-line. Anyone know the story?

IMG_1988 (resized).jpgIMG_1988 (resized).jpgIMG_1989 (resized).jpgIMG_1989 (resized).jpg
#3290 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I have a sample JD with a factory brass apron. I assume they costed it out of production games, but can't find any information or other examples of it on-line. Anyone know the story?

Mine's the same. Pretty isn't it?

You should also have the sniper plastic with the shooter on it and the left ramp opto at the entrance. It will also have a slightly different switch matrix and a switch on the crane magnet.

With a sample you have the ability to use a deadworld mod with the original L-1 rom and it allows it to still accept coins. I've been thinking with a few easy modifications a production game could be set up the same way.

#3291 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Mine's the same. Pretty isn't it?
You should also have the sniper plastic with the shooter on it and the left ramp opto at the entrance. It will also have a slightly different switch matrix and a switch on the crane magnet.
With a sample you have the ability to use a deadworld mod with the original L-1 rom and it allows it to still accept coins. I've been thinking with a few easy modifications a production game could be set up the same way.

I read up on all the other differences in the sample games but didn't see anything about the apron. Thanks - satisfies my curiosity. It definitely looks great, especially with the brass legs. I've considered getting the rest of the armor coated but don't want to mess with the history of the game. My game has the deadworld mod with the L-1 and it's very reliable.

#3292 4 years ago

I read about that apron somewhere. It's the switch matrix that's a little confusing. Mine came with a later rom, not the newest, and it was all jacked. They fixed that in the newest roms to work either.

But yes, the L-1 makes the game work as it should and I like that she says '"dimensional lock" instead of "dimensional phase".

To use L-1 in a production game might be as simple as adding the switch to the crane magnet and switching the connector on the left ramp entrance. There might be another detail, but I can't think of it. I know the question has been posed how to use the deadworld mod and not be stuck on free play.

The original dead world mod included a small circuit board that did allow free play. I think it gave a credit dot for the magnet. I had it on my first Dredd.

#3293 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Mine's the same. Pretty isn't it?...

Ditto here, for what it's worth.

#3294 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Sometimes it kicks the ball back out just fine, sometimes it's very weak.

My left shooter does the same thing. Even after I rebuilt it. I'm not sure that it's not supposed to work that way.

#3295 4 years ago
Quoted from charlesd:

My left shooter does the same thing. Even after I rebuilt it. I'm not sure that it's not supposed to work that way.

I've had four Judge Dredds now and they all do the same thing.

#3296 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I read about that apron somewhere. It's the switch matrix that's a little confusing. Mine came with a later rom, not the newest, and it was all jacked. They fixed that in the newest roms to work either.
But yes, the L-1 makes the game work as it should and I like that she says '"dimensional lock" instead of "dimensional phase".
To use L-1 in a production game might be as simple as adding the switch to the crane magnet and switching the connector on the left ramp entrance. There might be another detail, but I can't think of it. I know the question has been posed how to use the deadworld mod and not be stuck on free play.
The original dead world mod included a small circuit board that did allow free play. I think it gave a credit dot for the magnet. I had it on my first Dredd.

Hey Odin, you might know this... What are the sound roms you need to change to get the “Dimensional Lock” call?

#3297 4 years ago

Hi all, new to the forum and already having my mind blown by what I can do with my machine Reason I signed up is to ask for some advice. I've just cleaned out the machine after the playing field glass shattered and I have a weird problem - the sniper tower plunger/piston fires out of the housing everytime the ball goes into it. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what's happened or how to fix it? I literally have a plastic plunger looking piece with a slot at the end of the "stick" part and a hole in the table that it slots into. Help?

#3298 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Hey Odin, you might know this... What are the sound roms you need to change to get the “Dimensional Lock” call?

They are not all specifically marked, but at least two of them say L-1 in mine. According to ipdb L-3 is for production games without the planet lock.

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/judge-dredd-pinball-sound-rom-l-3-upgrade-set-u2-u3-bally-williams-eprom/

"In the 8 chip sound ROM set for JD, the only ROMs that are different between L1 and L3 sound versions are U2 and U3."

He doesn't show he has the L-1s, but if you ask him he might. Not sure where else to look.

#3299 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They are not all specifically marked, but at least two of them say L-1 in mine. According to ipdb L-3 is for production games without the planet lock.
https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/judge-dredd-pinball-sound-rom-l-3-upgrade-set-u2-u3-bally-williams-eprom/
"In the 8 chip sound ROM set for JD, the only ROMs that are different between L1 and L3 sound versions are U2 and U3."
He doesn't show he has the L-1s, but if you ask him he might. Not sure where else to look.

Thanks dude. I know I have a set of the roms someplace, i will have to mess with them.

#3300 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Thanks dude. I know I have a set of the roms someplace, i will have to mess with them.

The L1 sound roms are in the ipdb PinMAME Romset (L7) file.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
There are 4,871 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/66?hl=furyosjustin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.