IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg
There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 98.
#2651 6 years ago

Still having some issues with my left ramp registering shots that it shouldn't. I did some testing, and I think the left ramp exit is loose/rattling causing the opto for left ramp exit to trigger.

My ramp isn't currently connected to the bracket, but my question is, what piece is supposed to be holding the ramp to that bracket? I'm assuming some sort of spacer? Can someone take a picture of what it should look like?

I tried a zip tie quick, and it was too tight. Pulled the ramp to the cabinet, and the left ramp opto was constantly triggering. So, I'm thinking I have to secure the ramp, adjust the left ramp exit opto, or both.

JD_ramp (resized).jpgJD_ramp (resized).jpg

#2652 6 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Still having some issues with my left ramp registering shots that it shouldn't. I did some testing, and I think the left ramp exit is loose/rattling causing the opto for left ramp exit to trigger.
My ramp isn't currently connected to the bracket, but my question is, what piece is supposed to be holding the ramp to that bracket? I'm assuming some sort of spacer? Can someone take a picture of what it should look like?
I tried a zip tie quick, and it was too tight. Pulled the ramp to the cabinet, and the left ramp opto was constantly triggering. So, I'm thinking I have to secure the ramp, adjust the left ramp exit opto, or both.

No hole drilled in my metal or ramp

IMG_1119 (resized).JPGIMG_1119 (resized).JPG

#2653 6 years ago

Are your ramp top optos properly tightened (both, transmitter and receiver)? Had one side loosen itself on mine, causing it to sit just a little bit sloppy and triggering the air raid ramp with every vibration..

#2654 6 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

That's interesting. That hole's not meant to be there.

Make sure the optos are facing each other square on.

#2655 6 years ago

No hole in mine either. What a unique bit of hackery!

On mine one of the opto spacers was missing. Rebuilt it with the spacers and all was well.

#2656 6 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

That's interesting. That hole's not meant to be there.
Make sure the optos are facing each other square on.

Was getting closer to troubleshooting this, until I took off the plastic on the top of the three tier ramp, and now, my left ramp opto exit isn't triggering at all!

#2657 6 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Was getting closer to troubleshooting this, until I took off the plastic on the top of the three tier ramp, and now, my left ramp opto exit isn't triggering at all! Does anyone have a picture of what that top corner is supposed to look like?

Disregard this. Everything working 100% now.

The ramp was too tight, and the left ramp exit opto wires were getting pitched and moved by the three tiered ramp. I loosened the set screw by the crane, and was able to slide the ramp back and to the right. This eliminated the problem.

#2658 6 years ago

Good job

#2659 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Mine too. I believe it is done to remove a potential ball trap

So is mine! I thought it was warped lol!

#2660 6 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Thanks for posting this. I wish there was a complete list of the changes between L1 and L7. The release notes seem to skip over several aspects, minor or not.
... Altan

Found them not as much changes as I thought, the big changes from L-1 to L-7 are deadworld ball locking, pricing fixes and shooter logic. This is a basic list though I am sure there are more changes than this...

U6: Version L-7
Checksum: 9A07
Date: January 6, 1994

Changes from revision L-6:

Fixed pricing for Italy buy-in.
Improved the ball shooter logic -- left and right.
Fixed the SuperGame replay level calculation.
Added a ball saver timer adjustment.
Added coin door interlock message.

U6: Version L-6
Checksum: 1906
Date: October 12, 1993

Changes from revision L-5:

Changed "lock ball" message due to rule change.
Changed USA default pricing from $0.50 to 6/$2
Fixed planet test switch number.
Switch 28 (not used) no longer shows up in test report.
Increased delays between firing of certain coils to reduce
stress on the coil fuse.

U6: Version L-5
Checksum: 2D05
Date: September 27, 1993

Changes from revision L-4:

Added audits on left and right drains.
Left ramp enter switch no longer reports errors.
Improved right ball shooter logic.

U6: Version L-4
Checksum: 5004
Date: September 8, 1993

Changes from revision L-3:

USA pricing fix.

U6: Version L-3
Checksum: 5103
Date: August 30, 1993

Changes from revision L-2:

German pricing fix.

U6: Version L-2
Checksum: 5702
Date: August 25, 1993

Changes from revision L-1:

Balls are no longer locked on planet ring.

U6: Version L-1
Checksum: 3401
Date: August 18, 1993

Initial release for production.

#2661 6 years ago

Hi, I am a new owner to a 1993 prototype machine, full optos, crane ball in switch, and no notch in head unit for topper. It was an export unit, but back in the states now.

I took apart all the ramps and rails to do a deep cleaning to bring back from storage unit condition, new rubbers, polish all plastics, repair deadworld gearbox ( drilled and pinned the gears that were slipping )

I forgot to log the order in which I took the rails ramps and plastics apart.

Can someone point me to a guide for assembling the plastics rails and ramp? Or post the easiest order for assembly? Any tips or tricks?

Thank you in advance

John

#2662 6 years ago

I can’t think of any guide, but if you go to Chris Hutchins page www.highendpins.com and check his galleries he usually has fairly detailed in progress pix and they’re usually enough to get me through the process.

#2663 6 years ago
Quoted from Jptrains:

Hi, I am a new owner to a 1993 prototype machine, full optos, crane ball in switch, and no notch in head unit for topper. It was an export unit, but back in the states now.
I took apart all the ramps and rails to do a deep cleaning to bring back from storage unit condition, new rubbers, polish all plastics, repair deadworld gearbox ( drilled and pinned the gears that were slipping )
I forgot to log the order in which I took the rails ramps and plastics apart.
Can someone point me to a guide for assembling the plastics rails and ramp? Or post the easiest order for assembly? Any tips or tricks?
Thank you in advance
John

This may help a little
http://www.geocities.ws/itsonlypinball/judgedredd/judge-dredd-shop-out.htm

#2664 6 years ago

Well damn, where were you when I needed you?!?

#2665 5 years ago

Awesome thank you both. Those links truly help a lot. Now to follow the instructions they show. Then debug the electronics.

#2666 5 years ago

I got it back together, and running. Now to debug the left flipper, and drop target that tests fine but jitters instead of popping up during play. I put in all new large caps on the driver board already. The smaller one tested ok. It’s almost like there’s not enough current to drive everything. Gotta check the bridge rectifiers tomorrow.
Also the top left flipper tests ok, but doesn’t go during the game.

#2667 5 years ago

Anyone have a source for the 10 lamp board (I think it's 10...) that mounts just in front of the drop target assembly and has the judge letter lamps, jackpot lamp, etc on it? I can't seem to find that board, nor a part number in the manual. The one diagram I could find had it mislabeled....

My JD has a bad connection on the "J" lamp, looks like the through hole on one of the pins of that socket is damaged from previous re-solder attempts. Not sure that I can fix that too well.

#2668 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Anyone have a source for the 10 lamp board (I think it's 10...) that mounts just in front of the drop target assembly and has the judge letter lamps, jackpot lamp, etc on it? I can't seem to find that board, nor a part number in the manual. The one diagram I could find had it mislabeled....
My JD has a bad connection on the "J" lamp, looks like the through hole on one of the pins of that socket is damaged from previous re-solder attempts. Not sure that I can fix that too well.

I have a JD that I just picked up for the cabinet and it has the 10 lamp board on it. I haven't started to strip and test the board yet but I can if you want it.

#2669 5 years ago

After a very long search I was finally able to pick up a Dredd ! Right ramp has seen better days ( like most). Anyone have an extra they are willing to part with or know where they can be had?

#2670 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

After a very long search I was finally able to pick up a Dredd ! Right ramp has seen better days ( like most). Anyone have an extra they are willing to part with or know where they can be had?

The main one? Only place i know of is PSPA over here.
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/playfield-parts/ramps/a-17231.html

#2671 5 years ago
Quoted from CoachMikej:

I have a JD that I just picked up for the cabinet and it has the 10 lamp board on it. I haven't started to strip and test the board yet but I can if you want it.

Thanks, I shot over a PM.

#2672 5 years ago
Quoted from CoachMikej:

Does it have the weird board under the deadworld? I'd buy that from you.

#2673 5 years ago

That's it, thanks Mancave !

#2674 5 years ago

For the flipper problem I had. Part was an opto that died. The other part was the wire on the fliptronics board connector was not making contact, reseated it, and it works fine now. Fixed with leaf switches until a new opto board arrives.

The dead world gearbox was an easy fix. Getting the nuts off after a previous owner put locktite on, was the hardest part.

Drilling and pinning the slipping gear was easy on my mill. The easiest part of the whole rebuild of the gearbox.

#2675 5 years ago

Looking for the caution emergency plastic that goes over the right shooter lane.
Looking for the sniper plastic.
Looking for a new dead world globe, top half.
Any help is appreciated

#2676 5 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Looking for the caution emergency plastic that goes over the right shooter lane.
Looking for the sniper plastic.
Looking for a new dead world globe, top half.
Any help is appreciated

Whole Globe http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/03-8858.html
Shooter lane plastic http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/judge-dredd-shooter-lane-plastic.html

#2677 5 years ago

I ordered a pinball spare parts globe. I only used the top half. It’s flimsy feeling compared to the original, but it’s working out just fine.

#2678 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I ordered a pinball spare parts globe. I only used the top half. It’s flimsy feeling compared to the original, but it’s working out just fine.

They are originals not repro's, i bought one myself for a previous JD project machine.

#2679 5 years ago

How does the planet attach?

#2680 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

They are originals not repro's, i bought one myself for a previous JD project machine.

There is no way the one I got from them last year is original. I’ve had a few now and this one is noticibly thinner.

Quoted from altan:

How does the planet attach?

Threads on and kinda twists into place.

#2681 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

There is no way the one I got from them last year is original. I’ve had a few now and this one is noticibly thinner

All i know is that they were from a batch of NOS parts that i'm pretty sure Mark obtained from PBR many years ago (along with many other machine parts) The globe i bought was identical to the one that was on my keeper machine. As far as i'm aware these globes have never been repro'd before.

#2682 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a coin door question (I know, exciting). I have a two-slot coin door. Ive put in an Australian $1 coin mech on the left slot and an Australian 0.20c coin mech on the right slot. I'm trying to set the game for $1 per play, $2 for Supergame.

Ive tried messing around with Custom pricing and coin door options but I am stumped.

Any recommendations on how I can do this?

Everything in pinball is difficult I've gathered, but always satisfying when its solved.

ps I am using L7 ROM at this time.

#2683 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

All i know is that they were from a batch of NOS parts that i'm pretty sure Mark obtained from PBR many years ago (along with many other machine parts) The globe i bought was identical to the one that was on my keeper machine. As far as i'm aware these globes have never been repro'd before.

You can see it your way, I can see it mine. I think we can agree tho, original, repro or even crappy original, it probably still beats broken or missing.

#2684 5 years ago

I'll put it out to anyone else. I need the weird deadworld light pcb that's about 1/4 flashers 3/4 regular wedges.

#2685 5 years ago

Having a different crane issue than the usual one.
Mine will only nudge slightly. As if it's only getting small pulses to move. Same happens in test mode.
This is going to be long to bear with me.
The crane motor and globe motor run on the same 12v line j118-2. The globe line j130-7 works fine. Both have their own emi board. I swapped those and same results on each so I think we can rule out the emi boards. Used clips to power the crane from the globe 130-7 line and the crane will work properly that way. If I power the globe with the crane line 130-5 the globe does the same nudging the crane does. The DC tests fine at the crane emi board. So I think we can rule out the DC line. So guess would be the wire the send the signal telling it to move the 130-5.
To narrow it down to the board, while in test mode for the crane I attached the shooter rod 130-9 to the 130-5 line, the shooter pops once and then it makes the same nudge noise. If I hook the globe line up to the shooter it pops and you can hear the energized hold. So that leaves it looking like a board issue to me. I test the corresponding transistor q76 in circuit and it tests as working.

Anyone make it this far?
I am out of ideas.
Any help is great.

#2686 5 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

I have a coin door question (I know, exciting). I have a two-slot coin door. Ive put in an Australian $1 coin mech on the left slot and an Australian 0.20c coin mech on the right slot. I'm trying to set the game for $1 per play, $2 for Supergame.

I had a look at the manual and i couldn't find anything suggesting a specific dollar amount between regular and super game so i'm not sure you can set the machine like that. The 2 Australia options are either 1 game for $1 / 3 games for $2 OR 1 game for $1 / 2 games for $2. Super game is treated the same as Regular game, still only 1 credit for either option. I'd be interested to know if anyone can add to this?

#2687 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I had a look at the manual and i couldn't find anything suggesting a specific dollar amount between regular and super game so i'm not sure you can set the machine like that. The 2 Australia options are either 1 game for $1 / 3 games for $2 OR 1 game for $1 / 2 games for $2. Super game is treated the same as Regular game, still only 1 credit for either option. I'd be interested to know if anyone can add to this?

Thanks mancave! I'll try that out! I can't seem to get custom pricing options in A3 01 Game Pricing so this may help.

Also, how do you get the machine to tell what coin value is in each slot? I have a two slot door and I don't know what to put for Left, Centre, Right and 4. Which one corresponds to what?

Thanks for helping out an Aussie!

#2688 5 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Anyone make it this far?
I am out of ideas.
Any help is great.

Either a bad connection on the ground line or a bad driver transistor or pre-driver. Could also be farther up the path from the transistor, but without a scope there's no way of telling. After checking the wiring I'd go with the pre-driver and driver.

Testing a transistor with a meter does not guarantee that it is good.

#2689 5 years ago

Last night I started to do the dreaded crane adjustment for the dead world mod and I came across a strange issue. I went into align the crane arm test to check alignment over the ball. First ball magnet to ball gap is OK, Second is also OK, third ball hits the magnet. Obviously something is bent. Any idea what to check first? This arms that hold the disk seem a bit flimsy.

#2690 5 years ago

Maybe your ring is warped? You can also try raising the crane a touch using the adjustment nut.

#2691 5 years ago

Hi Guys,

Quick question for the pros. I noticed my JD occasionally calls out "Rock" while adding points even tho there's no ball in play. I have a hunch it might be related to the drop targets, but I just can't seem find what triggers that callout with google searches and also searching Pinside. I could go in and start moving wires, but I would like to be a little more methodical about it. After playing, it goes away rather quickly, so I assume it might just be a switch that needs adjusted. No error dots, but I have not went into the diagnostic yet to test switches.

#2692 5 years ago

You sure its not saying “watch it” like you’re pulling tilt warnings? I can’t think of a quote in the game that says “rock” although I guess it could be something unused?

#2693 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

You sure its not saying “watch it” like you’re pulling tilt warnings? I can’t think of a quote in the game that says “rock” although I guess it could be something unused?

Hi Gun,

No, definitely not "Watch it". But it could be 'lock' or something else that sounds like it. I've wondered that myself if that was one of the reasons I couldn't find any info on the problem. One thing I might do is turn it on again, hoping is does it again, then manually start tripping switches until it goes away. I have a scope, USB logic analyzer, DVM - so I can fix whatever is wrong, just have to figure out where to start! Another thing would be to watch the score and see how much it increases - that might point me in the right direction. But the DMD is also busy with animations...so that might not pan out.

Now that I think about it and based on what I think was on the DMD...it might have been 'stop!' because I think JD fires a gun. Hmmm...

Thanks for your comment!

#2694 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hi Guys,
Quick question for the pros. I noticed my JD occasionally calls out "Rock" while adding points even tho there's no ball in play. I have a hunch it might be related to the drop targets, but I just can't seem find what triggers that callout with google searches and also searching Pinside. I could go in and start moving wires, but I would like to be a little more methodical about it. After playing, it goes away rather quickly, so I assume it might just be a switch that needs adjusted. No error dots, but I have not went into the diagnostic yet to test switches.

Mine definitely says rock while the ball is in play but only when I hit a target. I think it's the mystery target when no mode is active? I'd need to check (and will try to check soon).

If yours randomly says rock, I think you have a over sensitive switch.

Also best to mention the ROM version, I've got L1/deadworld.

#2695 5 years ago

Edit, sorry got it wrong

#2696 5 years ago

Isn't it "drock"? This is a swear word and a substitute for the f-word or the sh-word in Mega City according to the Dredd universe.

#2697 5 years ago

I think it says "Drock" or similar when you hit one or two of the captive balls, but not hard enough to score the third. Although I suppose the ball could be rebounding over to the mystery target too, but I always associated it as a swear with a failed/partial captive ball hit. I'm on the deadworld mod L1 code or whatever it is, maybe that changes with other versions though.

#2698 5 years ago

Thanks Guys, Going to investigate it further now. "Drock"...ha, I'll have to look it up. Besides this hiccup, JD has been one solid solid game for the past year. Running the latest code (L7?), no Deadworld mod - just the original ring w/the slots.

Will report back later...

Thanks!

#2699 5 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

Isn't it "drock"? This is a swear word and a substitute for the f-word or the sh-word in Mega City according to the Dredd universe.

Could very well be "Drock" as I've never heard that word and I'm certain that, if I did hear "Drock", I'd assume it was "Rock"

#2700 5 years ago

It's "drock" ... Dredd says it all the time in the comic series. Been reading it some lately after buying a Dredd

If interested this is a good intro into that world

https://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files-ebook/dp/B00BEEC6KI/ref=sr_1_13

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 85.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/54?hl=ryandimx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.