IMG_9540 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9542 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9546 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
There are 4,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 98.
#201 10 years ago

I'm in the club, but my Dredd just freaked out with a trough problem. I already have the GLM TX board in place, it may be time for the RX side too.

I think Dredd is jealous that Elvira showed up last night.

Post edited by horseflesh : Mixed up my TX/RX

#202 10 years ago

Just joined the club... from my limited play on it, it seems like it is vastly underrated. It keeps drawing me back for more games.

#203 10 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

it seems like it is vastly underrated.

#204 10 years ago

Everyone that comes over tends to gravitate to JD. It is easy to pick up and play, but the rules can be understood pretty quickly by novice players. Yet they're deep enough to keep players coming back for more. And supergame is like a game within the game. Underrated big time.

#205 10 years ago

Can somebody give me a bit of information on the Deadworld mod. I know the one you buy from Pinbits is set to Free Play only, but I know of some location machines that have the mod. Is the only way to have a pay to play option with the Deadworld mod to use the original prototype roms and find one of the original mod replacement boards?

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Is the only way to have a pay to play option with the Deadworld mod to use the original prototype roms and find one of the original mod replacement boards?

I believe so. I had a Dredd with the early mod board, and it worked flawlessly. Not sure how easy they are to find. I have the Pinbits mod in my current one, and it works just as well, but as you said it is free play only.

#207 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I believe so. I had a Dredd with the early mod board, and it worked flawlessly. Not sure how easy they are to find. I have the Pinbits mod in my current one, and it works just as well, but as you said it is free play only.

I guess I will have to do some digging. I would really like to have the deadworld mod, but I do plan to eventually rotate in at my location and would hate to have to swap it out. Can you leave the modded disc in with the old rom?

#208 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Can you leave the modded disc in with the old rom?

Yes you can. As a matter of fact I left the old rom in mine for a while after installing the disc just to make sure everything else was good before changing it out. It worked like a charm.

#209 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes you can. As a matter of fact I left the old rom in mine for a while after installing the disc just to make sure everything else was good before changing it out. It worked like a charm.

How does that work? It seems like you'd end up with a launched ball and the "locked" ball.

Not doubting, just curious.

#210 10 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

How does that work?

It works the same as using the slotted disk. When a ball enters the planet, it turns half a turn, the crane magnet picks it up and drops it. The ball never locks, it just travels halfway around the planet like it would do if you didn't have the mod. I recommend this to any body that is installing the mod, because it allows you to get any of the bugs out before you install the rom.

#211 10 years ago

Oh yeah. I had it backwards.

#212 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That sounds good, I may go ahead and keep it and just throw the old rom in when I rotate it in on location. Thanks for the info.

#213 10 years ago

After I installed the planet ring, I had adjustments to make with the crane, the inlet ramp guide ( I had to bend it a little so the balls wouldn't fall off) and the ring itself so that it would line up perfect . I then played it this way for a few days, and when I was satisfied with the results (no dropped balls and the crane picking up every time), I then installed the rom, and it has worked perfect every time.

With the mod the optos must sense one ball in for every ball out of the planet or nothing works right.

#214 10 years ago

Good deal. My dad got my deadworld gears fixed yesterday and it all works as it should, so I am excited to start shopping it out and installing some mods

#215 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Is the only way to have a pay to play option with the Deadworld mod to use the original prototype roms and find one of the original mod replacement boards?

There are other ways to solve this issue. If you want details you can PM me...

viperrwk

#216 10 years ago

Quick question for you LED'd Dredd Owners:

Do you just set the game not to dim? I didn't notice til I replaced the batteries and the settings reset that certain modes dim the lights way down (Blackout, Missile Launch). I'll have to double check later but I think it dims all of the backbox lights, too. It's my understanding that this won't happen with LEDs. If so that's a bummer. Is there any way around this besides leaving the GI and backbox incandescent?
I'd be pretty disappointed to lose this feature that I've only known about for a couple of days.

#218 10 years ago

LED OCD doesn't handle the GI lighting (at least not yet). The only solution I am aware of is to use incandescent or disable dimming, as you already noted.

#219 10 years ago

I guess the LEDOCD guy is working on a GIOCD as well. I am not sure that would do it or not.

#220 10 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Quick question for you LED'd Dredd Owners:
Do you just set the game not to dim?

I just set mine to not dim. Why do you want it to dim when it has LEDs?

#221 10 years ago

What do other JD owners think of the Crane cover mod on Ebay? I had bought a NOS crane plastic (the angled rectangular plastic that goes over the crane) and I'm thinking about one vs. the other.
Dan

#222 10 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

I just set mine to not dim. Why do you want it to dim when it has LEDs?

When it dims in game, it's pretty cool. It's too bad they didn't just turn them off. Then LEDs wouldn't matter.

#223 10 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

When it dims in game, it's pretty cool. It's too bad they didn't just turn them off. Then LEDs wouldn't matter.

Yeah - I went through three translites before I found one that had minimal burn damage to it.

#224 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcadedl:

What do other JD owners think of the Crane cover mod on Ebay? I had bought a NOS crane plastic (the angled rectangular plastic that goes over the crane) and I'm thinking about one vs. the other.
Dan

I ordered one, it has to be better than the plastic box.

#225 10 years ago

What is everybody's opinion on the leg color for JD? The legs on mine, like many others are no longer in very good shape with the gold anodizing being worn off in many spots. Plating is just insanely expensive. Would it be better to just use regular chrome legs or get them powdercoated a shiny gold color?

I am not a fan of the red legs.

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

What is everybody's opinion on the leg color for JD? The legs on mine, like many others are no longer in very good shape with the gold anodizing being worn off in many spots. Plating is just insanely expensive. Would it be better to just use regular chrome legs or get them powdercoated a shiny gold color?
I am not a fan of the red legs.

My JD legs had been replaced by a previous owner with some beat up chrome legs. So, I replaced mine with some new gold legs from Pinball Life (although looks like Terry doesn't seem to sell these anymore).

#227 10 years ago

Also, completely converting JD over to LED's is a daunting task considering I am up over 200 bulbs so far on my count.

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Also, completely converting JD over to LED's is a daunting task considering I am up over 200 bulbs so far on my count.

We'll worth the convert to led. As for the legs I went with new chrome.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-shop-job

Most LEDs from pinball life. Some of the flashers from cointaker's

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

My total is closer to around 187. I've attached my near final version of my LED plan based on using Cointaker LEDs. Would be interesting to find out what others have done or think. I should be finalising it over the coming weeks.

[attachment=1382906,]

#230 10 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

My total is closer to around 187. I've attached my near final version of my LED plan based on using Cointaker LEDs. Would be interesting to find out what others have done or think. I should be finalising it over the coming weeks.
[attachment=1382906,]

Would love to check it out, but I don't think it's really there.

#231 10 years ago

Has anyone tried spray painting their Judge Dredd legs with gold spray paint? Or would this be totally dumb to do?

#232 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I don't swap out any flashers and I think it looks great. Color match the inserts.

#233 10 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Would love to check it out, but I don't think it's really there.

Hmm - is there a limit on the size of pdf files or something. It uploaded but is just not appearing.

#234 10 years ago

I've always been happy with my decision to go with Cointaker Super Brights. The GI and PF kits are nice, but it came with all white LEDs for the back glass and I would've preferred color LEDs. They might have changed this now, but that's how it was a couple years ago when I bought the kit.

#235 10 years ago

I just got one!!!! tricked out with LEDs and hooked up a powered sub woofer to it!!! whoa!!!!

#236 10 years ago

Good news! The deadworld gearbox is fixed and everything is fully working now!! Thanks to my dad for fixing the gears for me. Now I can start shopping it out and putting in the LED's!

#237 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

One question though, the light plate that is inside the deadworld planet with the two 555's and one flasher, is it just supposed to sit freely in there? It just sort of turns back and forth freely inside when the planet is spinning.

I believe it should be attached by a couple of screws to the metal bracket inside.

I did my own gearbox repair on a Dredd once. The splines inside one of the gears gets stripped, so the planet stops turning. I believe this was caused by the crane magnet getting stuck in one of the ball holes in the planet ring. If it ever hangs up this way, I recommend turning off the machine and fixing the crane before you damage the gearbox.

#238 10 years ago

You answered that pretty quickly before I deleted my comment I noticed I had left that bottom bracket off just after I typed that.

#239 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

You answered that pretty quickly before I deleted my comment

All Dredd, all the time! 24-7.

#240 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

All Dredd, all the time! 24-7.

Just the way it should be

#241 10 years ago
Quoted from dfsays:

I've always been happy with my decision to go with Cointaker Super Brights. The GI and PF kits are nice, but it came with all white LEDs for the back glass and I would've preferred color LEDs. They might have changed this now, but that's how it was a couple years ago when I bought the kit.

I actually prefer all white in the backbox. This preserves the colours of the original artwork. Coloured bulbs just don't appeal to me because they actually change the colouration of the artwork away from what the artist intended. Just my preference.

#242 10 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

I actually prefer all white in the backbox. This preserves the colours of the original artwork. Coloured bulbs just don't appeal to me because they actually change the colouration of the artwork away from what the artist intended. Just my preference.

ditto

#243 10 years ago

Okay, apparently pdf file attachments are not supported yet so I have uploaded my LED plan to Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2o6tbx90nt2oxu/Judge%20Dredd%20Pinball%20-%20LEDs.pdf).

As stated before, this is not quite the final version but is around 98% there. Having now finished my 2 year shop job on JD I now need to see what I think of the LEDs I have installed and see if I want to change any.

Would be great to hear any comments/suggestions on the LED plan.

#244 10 years ago

Looks good but I personally use warm white instead of yellow and orange in inserts as it always looks better and brighter IMO. Yellow LED's are crap and always dim. I wish I would have had your layout sheet when i was doing mine last night

I was excited to get mine ordered until I looked at my cart and it was over $200

#245 10 years ago

Apparently the trick with color matching yellow inserts is to use pink LEDs (crazy sounding I know.)

For the Crime Scene inserts I prefer using warm white with the yellow condoms.

viperrwk

#246 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Looks good but I personally use warm white instead of yellow and orange in inserts as it always looks better and brighter IMO. Yellow LED's are crap and always dim. I wish I would have had your layout sheet when i was doing mine last night
I was excited to get mine ordered until I looked at my cart and it was over $200

I hear what you're saying about the yellow and orange LEDs but to be honest I am actually pleasantly surprised how well they have turned out in JD. I have used Cointaker Supers and they look good and bright. The only disappointing ones are the large round "Build Up Chain Feature" inserts so I'll be changing those. Plus some of the flashers under the ramps may be better using the Super 13 but that's for testing another time....

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Apparently the trick with color matching yellow inserts is to use pink LEDs (crazy sounding I know.)
For the Crime Scene inserts I prefer using warm white with the yellow condoms.
viperrwk

I do not like pink in yellow inserts, it gives them a weird tinge. I see how they can work, but I think warm white looks much better and more natural.

#248 10 years ago

I installed the crane mod last night and it looks great! I definite improvement IMO. Very easy to install and plug and play. Can't beat it.

#249 10 years ago

If anybody is working on their Dredd soon and can snap a picture of the underside of the Deadworld lamp plate I'd appreciate it. My wires are pulled off and I don't know which go to F and GI. I looked at the schematics (3-7) and it looks like the blue-red goes to the flasher but I'm scared to assume.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.