IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
53617683536_dcd9ed6677_o (resized).jpg
dredd5 (resized).jpg
dredd4 (resized).jpg
dredd3 (resized).jpg
There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 98.
#2251 6 years ago

In any mode the difference between 16.89V and 17.02V is not even worth considering; the issue lies elsewhere.

#2252 6 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

What's the static reading (go into diag so as little as possible is happening).

With the machine not being played the readings are the same.

#2253 6 years ago

So i have just changed over the blackout ramp with a new one (complete assembly + opto's) and still no change to the problem i'm having with the deadworld mod
I can confidently state that the crane ball drop opto is NOT the causing factor. I'm going to change over to GLM trough opto boards and whilst at it going to change to the GLM drop target board and the planet board as well. Until then the machine can stay on regular Rom.........and get stuffed

2 weeks later
#2254 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

So i have just changed over the blackout ramp with a new one (complete assembly + opto's) and still no change to the problem i'm having with the deadworld mod
I can confidently state that the crane ball drop opto is NOT the causing factor. I'm going to change over to GLM trough opto boards and whilst at it going to change to the GLM drop target board and the planet board as well. Until then the machine can stay on regular Rom.........and get stuffed

Hey Mancave, any updates?

I switched to GLM trough optos and their planet board a while back and my deadword mod has been stable since then, although I still think I may replace the crane position opto as every once it a while it seems to lose it's way.

#2255 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Hey Mancave, any updates?

I switched to GLM trough optos and their planet board a while back and my deadword mod has been stable since then, although I still think I may replace the crane position opto as every once it a while it seems to lose it's way.

I ended up ordering the Homepin trough opto boards from Pinball Life, should have them within the next week so i will most definitely report in if it sorts my issue

#2256 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I ended up ordering the Homepin trough opto boards from Pinball Life, should have them within the next week so i will most definitely report in if it sorts my issue

Yeah, here's hoping!

I was going out of my mind until I figured out Trough 2 was out.

#2257 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Yeah, here's hoping!

I was going out of my mind until I figured out Trough 2 was out.

If that doesn't work, the next step is either someone who can perform pinball exorcisms or the pinball equivalent of a horse whisperer

#2258 6 years ago

Joined this week, although not quite put back together yet after dismantling to move upstairs.

20170728_125852 (resized).jpg20170728_125852 (resized).jpg

#2259 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

If that doesn't work, the next step is either someone who can perform pinball exorcisms or the pinball equivalent of a horse whisperer

You know, I was just about beat too, and resigned to go back to the original ring and rom, but Martin from Pinbits just kinda laid it out... "If the optos work, the mod works." I checked the opto boards (the 2 big ones under the PF) to make sure the connections were clean and well seated and just started cleaning and testing optos until I found the flaky ones (Planet board had one out, trough had one out) and lo and behold, working planet mod.

I still think the emitter on my crane position opto is a little flaky but I have the replacement on deck.

#2260 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

"If the optos work, the mod works."

I'm positive that is correct, but.......... Just changed over to the Homepin trough boards, rolled the balls into the trough in test mode (all good). Go to play the machine and the issue persists as i've previously described it Man this is doing my F*%&$#G head in.
I tested all the opto's previously, all seemed fine and i've now got brand new crane drop and trough opto's. I was going to replace the crane board underneath to the GLM wider spaced one anyway so looks like another wait until i can get hold of that. I'm going to re-check the 2 larger opto controller boards again in the meantime, done it before but maybe i missed something

#2261 6 years ago

That GLM planet board is brilliant by the way, much easier to get in than the old one is to get out.

I did swap around my opto boards and clean the pins and connectors with deoxit. I don't think they were an issue but didn't think it would hurt anything either.

#2262 6 years ago

Does anyone have an intact sleeve for the crane eccentric? I want to fix the slop in my crane's lateral movement, but mine is long gone. I don't have any idea how it is supposed to look / fit; the manual doesn't even reference that it exists, but it is visible on the schematic.

Photographs, measurements, etc. would be helpful.

EDIT - http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4821

It's listed as item 6 in the manual (bushing), but they forgot to draw a line to point to it.

#2263 6 years ago

Little help. I turned JD on and it sat for about 3 min, came up just fine, DMD working ready for play. I was updating my JP with color DMD firmware and heard some random coils going off on JD. Looked up and DMD was out. Shut the game off and back on, random coils go off and DMD black(no power). Did it one more time and no coils going off but DMD is black. I have a LCD Colordmd installed. Started a game and it just keep sending balls out. WTF, I have not played it in about 2 weeks. I have check fuses for DMD controller board and all good.

Help

#2264 6 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Little help. I turned JD on and it sat for about 3 min, came up just fine, DMD working ready for play. I was updating my JP with color DMD firmware and heard some random coils going off on JD. Looked up and DMD was out. Shut the game off and back on, random coils go off and DMD black(no power). Did it one more time and no coils going off but DMD is black. I have a LCD Colordmd installed. Started a game and it just keep sending balls out. WTF, I have not played it in about 2 weeks. I have check fuses for DMD controller board and all good.
Help

Did you check all the fuses on the power driver board? F116?

#2265 6 years ago

@PinRob. I did not check it. That was the problem. It worked for about 1 1/2 hours. Played fine. Was looking at Pinside and it blew again. Don't understand why it blows when just sitting idle. The VUK coils go off and DMD goes out. Don't have a clue

*I don't have any 12V mods hooked up to it**

#2266 6 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Don't understand why it blows when just sitting idle

It sounds like a short somewhere but you would think it would blow the fuse straight away, not be ok for an hour or so and then go. OK, what's going on with these JD "ghost in the machines" problems? After i get mine exorcised i'll send the exorcist your way
Doesn't the Color DMD's run off 5V?

#2267 6 years ago

Not sure on the 5V. I have had the Color DMD for a few years. No you keep your ghost. Don't want one.

#2268 6 years ago

Huh. Any corrosion on the driver board? I had a similar issue and it went away when I swapped for a non corroded board.

#2269 6 years ago

And I have color DMD LED version, no issues with it.

1 week later
#2270 6 years ago

There's a post missing on my newly acquired JD behind the upper left flipper so I keep getting balls stuck in there, anyone have a photo of what's supposed to be there please?

20170813_122523 (resized).jpg20170813_122523 (resized).jpg

#2271 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

There's a post missing on my newly acquired JD behind the upper left flipper so I keep getting balls stuck in there, anyone have a photo of what's supposed to be there please?

You are missing a flat guide wall that fits behind the flipper. I see screws on the playfield?
I assume the guide wall has broken.

#2272 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

anyone have a photo of what's supposed to be there please?

Yup, Vec-tor is spot on, missing a small ball guide. This would be fairly easy to make as it is small and straight. I measured it at approx 6.5 cm's long and 2.5cm's high. Here's what it looks like in the machine.

DSC03137 (resized).JPGDSC03137 (resized).JPG

#2273 6 years ago

Thanks guys, I'll have to make something.

I have another problem maybe you could help me with, sometimes during multiball I end up with a ball on the ring in the 1 o'clock position after all other balls have drained and the planet isn't rotating. Machine goes into ball search but also launches another ball into play. The planet doesn't try to unload at this point and just sits there even after the extra ball in play is lost. L6 rom fitted and slotted disc although I do have the pinbits disc to fit once I get the machine reliable. How does the machine know whats on the disc? is it just the entry opto I need to look at?

Thanks

Kev

#2274 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

is it just the entry opto I need to look at?

That is a good place to start.
Also, the ball trough assembly divots.

#2275 6 years ago

Hey all! Just joined the owners club today. Thing is filthy but gunna clean up nice. Any initial words of wisdom for a brand new owner? I'm gunna browse this topic in the mean time. Thanks!

#2276 6 years ago

if you have a shooter lane plastic, be careful not to bend and snap it on the backbox when you put the playfield up for maintenance.

#2277 6 years ago

and you have to play super game every once in a while or he will tell you to check ball trough optos.

#2278 6 years ago

I've spent a couple of hours stripping the playfield for a proper clean today. So rad that there are plastics in this thing you would never see unless you are taking it apart. Loving it already. Couple of questions, I know there are lights inside the dead world globe but how does that thing crack open? I don't want to break it. Also I can't really figure out how to take down the crane. No big deal if it isn't easy. I can clean around it. Thanks!

#2279 6 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I've spent a couple of hours stripping the playfield for a proper clean today. So rad that there are plastics in this thing you would never see unless you are taking it apart. Loving it already. Couple of questions, I know there are lights inside the dead world globe but how does that thing crack open? I don't want to break it. Also I can't really figure out how to take down the crane. No big deal if it isn't easy. I can clean around it. Thanks!

The top half of the globe should screw off, unless of course the previous owner has glued it on The crane is attached to a rod by a pivot hub and set screw. There is an access hole for the set screw at the back of the crane metal framework, once loosened the crane will lift off the rod but if you want to take the crane right off the machine it has a plug to be removed also.

#2280 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

The top half of the globe should screw off, unless of course the previous owner has glued it on The crane is attached to a rod by a pivot hub and set screw. There is an access hole for the set screw at the back of the crane metal framework, once loosened the crane will lift off the rod but if you want to take the crane right off the machine it has a plug to be removed also.

Thanks a lot! I've got it torn down as far as I am willing to go. Will send progress pics.

#2281 6 years ago

IMG_3055 (resized).JPGIMG_3055 (resized).JPGLQQP5129 (resized).jpgLQQP5129 (resized).jpgIMG_3050 (resized).JPGIMG_3050 (resized).JPGIMG_3049 (resized).JPGIMG_3049 (resized).JPGIMG_3044 (resized).JPGIMG_3044 (resized).JPGAll torn down and cleaned up. Just wax and then time to rebuild.IMG_3042 (resized).JPGIMG_3042 (resized).JPG

I was talking to a friend who suggested LED OCD for this machine. What do you guys think? Necessary or are non ghosting LED's enough?

#2282 6 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

All torn down and cleaned up. Just wax and then time to rebuild.
I was talking to a friend who suggested LED OCD for this machine. What do you guys think? Necessary or are non ghosting LED's enough?

I'd get GI OCD before Led OCD, but ideally I'd have both

#2283 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I'd get GI OCD before Led OCD, but ideally I'd have both

Okay, cool. Forgive my ignorance but why is this a must for this game? Why can't I just use non ghosting LED's? I know it has to do with being able to dim the LED's but is that must for Dredd in particular compared to other pins?

#2284 6 years ago

@SLCpunk2113. I have Put Comet LEDs in mine and turned off dim. Looks great. LED OCD is a great add on, you can set it up the way you want it. I have it on my NASCAR and it is awesome!!

#2285 6 years ago

Anyone have any tips for hitting the Air Raid ramp?
I feel like I can only hit it maybe once every few games... if that
Thinking about re-adjusting my upper flipper.

#2286 6 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Anyone have any tips for hitting the Air Raid ramp?
I feel like I can only hit it maybe once every few games... if that
Thinking about re-adjusting my upper flipper.

I seem to usually hit it by accident going for loops. Upper left should be adjusted so if you don't flip the ball comes out of the big loop smooth and IMO if you hold it up the ball will bounce into the Advance Crime Scene targets. Mines a little low right now.

#2287 6 years ago

Any advice on sticky drop targets? I pulled it all apart and gave it a good clean and put it back together again but a couple of the targets are as sticky as ever. The center target seems worse. I read on some other threads people using lubricant but it sounded like they were using it on metal to metal moving parts. Do you guys suggest lubricant for these drops? If so, can I use a dry bike chain lube?

#2288 6 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Any advice on sticky drop targets? I pulled it all apart and gave it a good clean and put it back together again but a couple of the targets are as sticky as ever.

I use a "Slick 50" type lube very, VERY, lightly on the drop target's springs.
It seems to work for me; the springs that apply force to the back side of the
targets.
You could have some binding issues.

#2289 6 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Any advice on sticky drop targets?

Did you put labels on? Make sure they're not rubbing the wood on the front of the drops. You might need to loosen the screws, push the assembly back and tighten them down again.

Happened the first time I labeled my Dredd targets.

#2290 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I use a "Slick 50" type lube very, VERY, lightly on the drop target's springs.
It seems to work for me; the springs that apply force to the back side of the
targets.
You could have some binding issues.

Are these the short springs between two washers that you are talking about? Not the springs pulling the targets down right?

#2291 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Did you put labels on? Make sure they're not rubbing the wood on the front of the drops. You might need to loosen the screws, push the assembly back and tighten them down again.
Happened the first time I labeled my Dredd targets.

I didn't put labels on but was planning on it in the future so I'll keep this in mind for when I do!

#2292 6 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I didn't put labels on but was planning on it in the future so I'll keep this in mind for when I do!

Yeah, seems lame but once you have them there it looks REALLY plain without them.

#2293 6 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Are these the short springs between two washers that you are talking about?

Yes.

#2294 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Yeah, seems lame but once you have them there it looks REALLY plain without them.

Generally I do not like labels on targets, but somehow these work for me too.

#2295 6 years ago

Someone had lubed the targets some on mine in the past, and that seemed to be causing the stickiness for me. I took the assembly apart and cleaned them up, using a bit of degreaser and making sure the surfaces of the target and Springs/washers were super clean and dry, along with making sure the springs were installed just right and tight. Cleared up the issue for me for 6+ months, but I've noticed one is getting a little slower again so i need to take another look...

#2296 6 years ago

Don't use any type of lube, just dissemble all the mech and clean it, c-clips and all metal parts with thinner to get rid off any trace of old grease, it should works perfect......

Gustavo

IMG_8944 (resized).JPGIMG_8944 (resized).JPG
IMG_8948 (resized).JPGIMG_8948 (resized).JPG
IMG_8949 (resized).JPGIMG_8949 (resized).JPG

#2297 6 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

Don't use any type of lube, just dissemble all the mech and clean it, c-clips and all metal parts with thinner to get rid off any trace of old grease, it should works perfect......
Gustavo

This exactly what I did but I guess I didn't clean good enough. Two of my targets are nice and snappy two are mediocre and one (the center one of course) is working way worse than before. I guess I'll have another go at it!

#2298 6 years ago

i have this coming up soon with my Diner. i have two target banks. not looking forward to it...

#2299 6 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

This exactly what I did but I guess I didn't clean good enough. Two of my targets are nice and snappy two are mediocre and one (the center one of course) is working way worse than before. I guess I'll have another go at it!

I had this problem. Cleaning the crap out of everything again made it all good.
If you're adding on the stickers, make sure they go all the way to bottom of the drop target face.
Mine came with some extras you cut in half and stick below the top normal sticker. This prevents them from scraping and slowing down the target.

#2300 6 years ago

Same here. My middle target tends to go down reeeaaal slow after a few months of play. I apply a little bit of WD-40 to a piece of cloth and wipe the part of the target that goes between the washers with it once it gets slow again. Works well that way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 37.50
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,869 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/46 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.