Topic Stats

• 3,347 posts
  • 389 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by RobDutch
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 894 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191114_224120 (resized).jpg
20191018_160258 (resized).jpg
JD-Pursuit (resized).jpg
JD-LampPCB (resized).jpg
JD Pic2 (resized).jpg
JD Pic1 (resized).jpg
20191105_200312 (resized).jpg
20191106_074206 (resized).jpg
20191106_074232 (resized).jpg
20191106_074215 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191106-085023 (resized).png
IMG_20191106_084059 (resized).jpg
JD_5bank (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1989 (resized).jpg

There are 3347 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 67.
#1451 3 years ago

Art, welcome!

Just joined myself on Sunday.

... Altan

#1452 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

this one is like solid plaster of paris.

Mine is the same way. Heavy.
DSCN0787_(resized).JPG

DSCN0788_(resized).JPG

#1453 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Search for 6809. I see both the 6809P and 6809E show up. Unfortunately I don't know which one you need, but suspect a search will bring it up

You want the 6809E.

#1454 3 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Mine is the same way. Heavy.

Weird....So Someone made a Mold and sold Plaster Based Toppers?
The mounting screws and fit, made me think it was original.

The First game I had did not have a topper, and I was aware of the Plastic, and Ive seen a couple carved out of wood
and painted....

Since Rick has none up, where his Plastic, the repros he last offered?

#1455 3 years ago

I had my my JD for over a year but finally finished the restoration. It is a nice feeling when you put the glass on and know everything is perfect (well almost perfect ).
New cabinet decals, translite, mirror blades,right ramp and ramp decals, shiny eagle topper, drop target decals, rubbers, posts and leds. Fully powder coated, all metal parts polished, all gears cleaned and lubed and replaced all broken plastics.
Such a great machine! A keeper for sure.20160713_181807_(resized).jpg

20160621_161154_(resized).jpg
20160713_181842_(resized).jpg
20160713_181438_(resized).jpg
20160621_161211_(resized).jpg
20160621_161239_(resized).jpg

#1456 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The First game I had did not have a topper, and I was aware of the Plastic, and Ive seen a couple carved out of wood
and painted....

Those are the resin repros not made of plaster ( that wouldn't hold up well at all)

#1457 3 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I had my my JD for over a year but finally finished the restoration. It is a nice feeling when you put the glass on and know everything is perfect (well almost perfect ).
New cabinet decals, translite, mirror blades,right ramp and ramp decals, shiny eagle topper, drop target decals, rubbers, posts and leds. Fully powder coated, all metal parts polished, all gears cleaned and lubed and replaced all broken plastics.
Such a great machine! A keeper for sure.

Great looking Dredd friend. Your hard work shows.

#1458 3 years ago

You are right, its resin. Its flaking white shards out the hole, and I thought they were plaster.

I must be losing it!

#1459 3 years ago

This is causing trouble with unwanted multiball and other oldies! Can you see it?IMG_7336_(resized).jpg

#1461 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Get the GLM boards...

Good to know if it was trashed. In my case, I'll buy a 270 Ohm 2 Watt resistor and fix it for 50 cents

#1462 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

and painted....

I have the same filled topper. Apparently they are pretty expensive, more than the original.

#1463 3 years ago

Question, has anyone used the Judge Dredd Left Opto Flipper Board?
Replacing my Type 1 board with this over priced one for the Judge...

detail_(resized).JPG
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16482-GLM

#1464 3 years ago

Can someone help me understand how to get a jackpot? I'm certain I have an opto or switch out, but I'm not sure where to look.

After starting multiball, I understand there are 4 jackpots (Mortis, Fire, Fear and Death). But where do you shoot to collect the jackpot?

The rules I'm looking at aren't clear. Is it the left ramp? Or is it the more center ramp with the label "jackpot" on it? Or perhaps something else?

Thank you.

#1465 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Can someone help me understand how to get a jackpot? I'm certain I have an opto or switch out, but I'm not sure where to look.
After starting multiball, I understand there are 4 jackpots (Mortis, Fire, Fear and Death). But where do you shoot to collect the jackpot?
The rules I'm looking at aren't clear. Is it the left ramp? Or is it the more center ramp with the label "jackpot" on it? Or perhaps something else?
Thank you.

When you get MB you first shoot the left ramp (the biggest ramp that goes all the way around) once you do that you have to shoot the ball down the middle of the drop targets (subway) that's how you get a jackpot. Do it 4 times to beat each Judge.

The voice call outs tell you to actually do that. So make sure there's nothing wrong with your volume or something.

The ramp that says Jackpot is for Black out mode. That's the 2 ball MB mode where most of the lights goes out. If you hit that ramp during that mode it awards the blackout jackpot.

#1466 3 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

I use it every day when I play my JD. Mine was acting up so I just cleaned it and adjusted it a bit and it works like a champ now! Just out of curiosity, why are you replacing yours?

#1467 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

This is causing trouble with unwanted multiball and other oldies! Can you see it?

Did you check to see that your IR LED is working? Probably worth doing a before/after pic. With the machine powered on and the trough board connected, take a pic of the IR LED with a digital camera. You can see if it is working it'll shine purple in the digital image...

#1468 3 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I had my my JD for over a year but finally finished the restoration.

WOW, your camera does some weird stuff with lighting The powder coating looks gold'ish in most of those pics and bright yellow in another, NICE looking machine though

#1469 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

WOW, your camera does some weird stuff with lighting The powder coating looks gold'ish in most of those pics and bright yellow in another, NICE looking machine though

The more yellowish picture is in daylight the more goldie was with artificial light. In real it is something in between lol.

#1470 3 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Such a great machine! A keeper for sure.

Nice looking machine. Now you need a color dmd to top it off.
20150311_193604_(resized).jpg

20150311_195723_(resized).jpg

#1471 3 years ago

Trying out glo-balls in mine. (6) GlD on right (they look green in pic but are yellow in person under uv), (3) orange and (3) blue (didn't use for this project, they are really closer to bluish white in person, like an iceberg). Balls seem plenty magnetic as seen by ball shown hanging on magnet. Balls are same size but weigh less.

20160714_200010_(resized).jpg

#1472 3 years ago

Looks pretty good. Now for playing. ..

20160714_201723_(resized).jpg

20160714_201715_(resized).jpg

20160714_201735_(resized).jpg

#1473 3 years ago

Crane has some difficulties grabbing these balls on consistent basis, so will monitor for better results and try adjusting crane. Nice benefit of using lighter balls is the ball is fast. One negative is the balls tend to spin more intensely so will monitor further. GID balls look even better during blackout mode when gi lights go out.

Initial thoughts are - keep orange for captive balls. Makes it easy to see them and to watch how many balls move. Don't think the balls will degrade at all in that setup. Would like to keep GID balls if I can improve pickup ratio.

Colored balls seem to fit this theme like a glove. What do you think of this mod?

#1474 3 years ago

Nice. Keep us posted on crane.

#1475 3 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

When you get MB you first shoot the left ramp (the biggest ramp that goes all the way around) once you do that you have to shoot the ball down the middle of the drop targets (subway) that's how you get a jackpot. Do it 4 times to beat each Judge.
The voice call outs tell you to actually do that. So make sure there's nothing wrong with your volume or something.
The ramp that says Jackpot is for Black out mode. That's the 2 ball MB mode where most of the lights goes out. If you hit that ramp during that mode it awards the blackout jackpot.

Thanks for the info.

I certainly could hear the "shoot the left ramp", but then I would never get a jackpot.

The playfield is confusing here. After shooting the left ramp, the game says something about "shoot the jackpot". But it's not clear WHERE the jackpot shot is! I understand now that it's the center drop target shot. However, it's worth nothing that just to the right of Deadworld is a ramp that says jackpot.

Anyway, turns out the first switch inside the center subway (behind the center drop target) wasn't registering. I hadn't noticed any negative from this bad switch (other than I couldn't get a jackpot). I suspect it had some other impact I'll eventually realize.

#1476 3 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

I use it every day when I play my JD. Mine was acting up so I just cleaned it and adjusted it a bit and it works like a champ now! Just out of curiosity, why are you replacing yours?

The right side uses the Type 2 "Duo Opto" and it is SO much more responsive. The left side, has the leaf/type 1 opto board and it is slugish. Nothing wrong with my coils. It is just a slow opto in comparison. The optos are healthy and clean, they just suck. Paying $50 for a $16 flipper opto board made just for Judge seems stupid to me. But I did it... Stupid is as stupid does.

#1477 3 years ago

The upper right flipper area has always been too dark for me. Not anymore! I installed some purple 6V led strips. They can be connected straight to any 6V GI socket and simply stick on the ramp.
The purple strips have very high UV component giving me a nice glow in the dark effect (black light).

20160716_144659_(resized).jpg
20160716_144910_7_(resized).jpg

#1478 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Looks pretty good. Now for playing. ..

Lookin good. I was going to try something similar but price of glow balls in a little too much for me to pull the trigger

#1479 3 years ago

I knew JD had great flow. What I didn't realize until I got it home was how intense it is!

It never stop! Some pins you hit a target, watches nice animation, and the ball comes back. Not with Dredd!

While there are very nice animations, the ball doesn't stop for you to watch them! Even when multi ball starts and the crane is grabbing the 3rd ball (production l7 rom), the balls come flying before the crane is done.

#1480 3 years ago

Anyone have a link to a verified dredd rom image that works?
The one on ipdb is not working

#1481 3 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

Replacing my Type 1 board with this over priced one for the Judge...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16482-GLM

When I got my machine, the left and right flippers had different stiffness which was annoying. I replaced both with Great Lakes Modular ones like in your pic.

They work absolutely fine, but the upper left flipper often stays up until the right flipper button is pressed or the ball hits a sling or something. The flipper boards have LEDs to show when the flipper is pressed and it is showing that is 'at rest' even when it is up. I think the magnets might need reversing or adjusting.

#1482 3 years ago

Just updated the left flipper to the new opto. Perfection, I now can get the right ramp and captive balls with no problems. I also did not have any issues with a flipper staying up.

If anyone is having a slugish left flipper or having a hard time getting your right ramp and captives. check your opto's, they will need some repair or just upgrade.

#1483 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I knew JD had great flow. What I didn't realize until I got it home was how intense it is!
It never stop! Some pins you hit a target, watches nice animation, and the ball comes back. Not with Dredd!
While there are very nice animations, the ball doesn't stop for you to watch them! Even when multi ball starts and the crane is grabbing the 3rd ball (production l7 rom), the balls come flying before the crane is done.

I agree. The game is intense, sharp and relatively short. I do not like game like LOTR with ball times of 30 min plus. I prefer shorter ball time games. I am always quite exhausted when I get a good JD game.

#1484 3 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I agree. The game is intense, sharp and relatively short. I do not like game like LOTR with ball times of 30 min plus. I prefer shorter ball time games. I am always quite exhausted when I get a good JD game.

People who think JD sucks makes me wonder if they just suck at pinball or they have bad flippers which ruined the experience. I cant find a single thing about this game that I hate. Overall its a great game, one of the best.

#1485 3 years ago

Guys,
I'm quite happy as i finally manager to get a NOS eagle original, the green mustard one!
It was found in the basement of a US reseller as I asked them to look a bit more carefully.
I had then to buy it, make it send to a friend of mine in US, who gave it to a colleague which was travelling for work and he finally arrived on my JD after 2 month, in France!
I was lucky as they sold it the usual price, around 80€ and had the chance to avoid shipment costs (90€..)

Anyway, my pinball is now topped up with an eagle and I'm happy!

DSC_0187_(resized).JPG

#1486 3 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Guys,
I'm quite happy as i finally manager to get a NOS eagle original, the green mustard one!

Congrats!

We are both lucky. I managed to track down a (repo) eagle topper for a reasonable price... Should be here on Friday.

#1487 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

We are both lucky. I managed to track down a (repo) eagle topper for a reasonable pric

Know of another one floating around???

#1488 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Know of another one floating around???

Sorry. I was lucky to find this one...

#1490 3 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

People who think JD sucks makes me wonder if they just suck at pinball or they have bad flippers which ruined the experience. I cant find a single thing about this game that I hate. Overall its a great game, one of the best.

I am also amazed that JD is not a top rated pin. Wide body, great dmd visuals, four flippers with each doing very different actions, great ramp shots and great loop shot, looks amazing, complex rule set, great call outs, intense music and good sound. I guess it is a hard game with short ball times so it will not please the masses.

#1491 3 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I am also amazed that JD is not a top rated pin.

Well, it is in the top 50 on pinside. That's not bad.

But it's certainly true that people don't treat it as if it's in the top 50. [Insert "it's a $1400 game (in 2013 dollars)" comment, with sarcasm]

Frankly, I don't think a lot of people seem them that much. I fell in love with it when I played it, but it look a long time to ever play one.

#1492 3 years ago

Any hooked a sub up to Dredd?

Good match or not much difference?

#1493 3 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I am also amazed that JD is not a top rated pin. Wide body, great dmd visuals, four flippers with each doing very different actions, great ramp shots and great loop shot, looks amazing, complex rule set, great call outs, intense music and good sound. I guess it is a hard game with short ball times so it will not please the masses.

I've always thought that the theme put people off. The stigma of the dreadful Stallone movie is strong – thank god it wasn't released two years later as a movie tie-in ! I loved the 2000AD comic as kid so was always attracted to the machine, the fact it's a great game as well is super cool. I'm never letting it go!

#1494 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I hooked up a 10" Polk. Big difference IMO

#1495 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I hooked one up with my Pinsound board and the difference is staggering. I will suggest that if you are getting any issues that the issue is with the active subwoofer. I tied it into my cabinet speaker and as soon as the game turned on it would cut out the audio, from both the sub and the cab speaker, no matter what settings i used on the sub itself. I switched to a passive and the issue went away and it works and sounds great, no issues in several months. This might not be viable without a pinsound board and it's upgraded amp, but if you do run into issues, look first to the sub.

#1496 3 years ago

Has anyone got a spare Pivot & Hub Assembly, part no #A-16768 that they would be willing to sell? also the pin that goes through it that attaches the hub to the crane assembly (don't know the part number for that) Pic for the hub assembly is attached. All the places i've looked at are out of stock, Marco's, Pinbits.

IMGP0186_(resized).JPG

#1497 3 years ago

EDIT : wrong item listed, sorry

#1498 3 years ago

Yeah! Look what arrived today!

IMG_7397_(resized).jpg

And no, it's not on a Judge Dredd at the moment.

#1499 3 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

It is just one of them games if everything is not tuned in right, weak flippers for example it quickly becomes a pain or boring. If it is working correctly, it is super fast and super fun... It is a Super Pin after all but it needs everything to work correctly to be super.

#1500 3 years ago

Anyone build/make their own topper mount for the topper that isn't "filled"?

I went to Home Depot just now and they didn't have any L brackets that would fit. At least none that I found.

In a perfect world I'd like a L-bracket that has a small "base" and a taller other side (vertical). And on this vertical aspect it would be nice if there was a slot running down the middle so I could put a screw anywhere. The ones I found that 1 or 2 screw holes in fixed (and wrong) places.

If I had a drill press I could easily fix that...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Portland, OR
There are 3347 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 67.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside