IMG_9540 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9542 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9546 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpeg
20240330_122726 (resized).jpg
20240330_122733 (resized).jpg
There are 4,876 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 98.
#801 8 years ago

Just found this thread! Some nice judges on here. I am still getting mine tuned up, and the one thing I am missing is the modified deadworld ring. I have the rom, and I have jury rigged my ring to work using some extra plastic and double sided tape, but I would really like a proper ring. I was thinking of making one myself and saving some money, but it's looking like it will be more work/expensive that I thought. Does anyone have a spare kicking around that they would be interested in parting with?

#802 8 years ago

Have only played a few games since I recently bought it. Just got GC a few minutes ago.
What is the default GC score? Anyone know?

JD_GC.jpgJD_GC.jpg

#803 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Have only played a few games since I recently bought it. Just got GC a few minutes ago.
What is the default GC score? Anyone know?
JD_GC.jpg

130M in regulation, 350m in supergame. Congrats!

viperrwk

#804 8 years ago

Just got GC a few minutes ago.

That must have been one of the funnest twenty minutes of your life!

#805 8 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

130M in regulation, 350m in supergame. Congrats!
viperrwk

Nice! Pretty good score I guess

#806 8 years ago

Nice! Pretty good score I guess

Not Too shabby

#807 8 years ago

One of the first posts that caught my eye when i joined the Dredd club was Soapman's "work in progress" Mod for the Nuke towers. I've been meaning to add this to my machine for ages now and it's finally come together in the past few days. They do say that imitation is the best form of flattery and i sure don't wish to rain on Soapman's parade but here's the result. I will add some build pic's soon and a description of just how i went about it. I've got some brighter LED'S on order as the one's in the towers aren't that great. I did put them together in a "no-fuss" manner, so it could be improved upon for sure.

DSC01427.JPGDSC01427.JPG DSC01429.JPGDSC01429.JPG DSC01431.JPGDSC01431.JPG DSC01434.JPGDSC01434.JPG DSC01435.JPGDSC01435.JPG
#808 8 years ago

Very cool

#809 8 years ago
#810 8 years ago

Nice work Mancave. I slacked off. Please let me know how you mounted them and what lights you used. I hope to have mine done soon. Was working on a few other projects. Again NICE WORK!!

#811 8 years ago

Are these the red stacks from DE Simpsons?

#812 8 years ago

They sure look like it, I saw someone do them with gray too, they looked great

#813 8 years ago

Are these the red stacks from DE Simpsons?

Yeah they sure are. I looked on Marco's site just before and they are now listed as out of stock.

Quoted from Soapman:

Nice work Mancave

A BIG thanks to you for your idea and initial post's, for without that, the idea wouldn't have crossed my mind

#814 8 years ago

Here's how i went about it.
I used the mounts that came with the tower set and then quickly realized that i needed to add extra to the bottom to give the towers some space to sit freely above the plastic. I luckily had enough 3/4" hex posts (tapped either end) to do the job, which gave me the height i needed. The next issue was mounting the light socket and after bending the tab to mount it at the angle i wanted i then realized that the socket would foul on the plastic (Pic 3 shows the spacing), so i cut some off the hex post (one for each bracket) and also off the screw (didn't have any shorter screws hanging around). I'd based the setup on mounting tower 2 on the existing threaded shaft (think it's 6/32, don't quote me on it i'm sooo used to working in metric ) It was a stroke of luck really that the hex posts had the same thread. I mounted tower 2 bracket (Pic 2) and then worked out where towers 1 and 3 should mount to try and keep them similarly spaced and in a line if possible. Both Towers 1 and 3 are screwed directly onto the plastic so i just needed to drill 2 holes for the mounting and an additional 1 hole for each tower to accommodate the wires. That was pretty much it apart from a little fine tuning of the brackets (once mounted i needed to just rotate 2 of them on the screw to get the line up of the towers about where i wanted them). I also added a brass spacer (Pic 4) on top plus a couple of washers so that when the tower was on and the rubber was on top of the post it held the tower reasonably firm, otherwise they'd slop around with the movement of the machine. After all the mounting was done i wired the lights into the meltdown light (i did consider the GI circuit also)
As i mentioned in my first post i very much did this job "on the fly" without getting too complicated. The only drawback is that when the towers are lit the nature of the mount and where the globe holder sits does create some shadowing on top (refer to the last pic on my first post). To avoid this you would need to create perhaps an L shaped bracket that mounts to one side of the tower (or one that conforms to the shape of the tower internally), this would work fine but you'd still need to work out how to mount the globe holder and where to mount the towers (a bracket off to one side would mean mounting the towers completely different to the way i have)

DSC01436.JPGDSC01436.JPG DSC01438.JPGDSC01438.JPG DSC01439.JPGDSC01439.JPG DSC01437.JPGDSC01437.JPG
#815 8 years ago

These towers are great. Did you print and make the outer grey 1,2,3 labels for them? Any trick to that or just photoshopped?

#816 8 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

These towers are great. Did you print and make the outer grey 1,2,3 labels for them? Any trick to that or just photoshopped?

I had them made for me, scanned from the original plastics but the dimensions were played with, unfortunately the guy who did it only scanned one of the 3 so they all looked the same (apart for the numbers of course), I added some extra marks, cracks (top of tower 2), etc to individualize them. They could have been improved further for sure!

#817 8 years ago

I like the mounting. Never thought about that.

#818 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I had them made for me, scanned from the original plastics but the dimensions were played with, unfortunately the guy who did it only scanned one of the 3 so they all looked the same (apart for the numbers of course), I added some extra marks, cracks (top of tower 2), etc to individualize them. They could have been improved further for sure!

Able to get another set of the labels made up? I'd like to try a version of this but I don't know anyone that can make the covers like that. Even with them looking a like they look great.

#819 8 years ago

Able to get another set of the labels made up? I'd like to try a version of this but I don't know anyone that can make the covers like that. Even with them looking a like they look great.

I can look into it and see what i can do, i've had another pinside member ask me as well. I must point out that the ones i had made weren't exactly the right shape. Trying to wrap a decal around something with a complex curve is a bit difficult to say the least and because of this the top and bottom edges are NOT even all the way around (the pic's don't show that), plus the decal doesn't cover the entire tower (i figured it wasn't really necessary as mostly they are viewed from the front). Here's some pics, you'll see what i mean.

DSC01440.JPGDSC01440.JPG DSC01441.JPGDSC01441.JPG DSC01442.JPGDSC01442.JPG DSC01443.JPGDSC01443.JPG
#820 8 years ago

I want a Dredd. A really nice one. Someone sell me one. Or trade me for my super super nice TSPP and a little coin. Or throw something else in. Or something. Come on. Do it.

#821 8 years ago

Your towers look fantastic Mancave! I've always thought the stock 'flat' ones look a bit cheap.

#822 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I can look into it and see what i can do, i've had another pinside member ask me as well. I must point out that the ones i had made weren't exactly the right shape. Trying to wrap a decal around something with a complex curve is a bit difficult to say the least and because of this the top and bottom edges are NOT even all the way around (the pic's don't show that), plus the decal doesn't cover the entire tower (i figured it wasn't really necessary as mostly they are viewed from the front). Here's some pics, you'll see what i mean.

I think the best way to figure out the shape that is needed to compensate for the bend. Is to take a large piece of strong decal "vinyl decal" wrap it around. Then cut the decal out with a blade. Then peal back the decal. Scan in the decal. Clean up the shape. Then add your art. In a way it is the same as you would "skin" this object in a video game on a 3D mesh. You also need to print your decal on a flexible vinyl to follow the shape smoothly.

Also, another idea. I would use an acrylic dowel as the center post that mounts the stack. Then wrap an LED strip from comet around that dowel rather than a single LED.

#823 8 years ago

If anyone needs a decal for the towers let me know. The ones I had made will cover the whole tower. PM me to let me know if you need them. I will charge shipping and some extra coin for the printing.

#824 8 years ago

Mancave. Did you have to make new holes in the plastic or are they a mount already? I'm trying to make it so you don't need to make new holes to mount (reversible).

#825 8 years ago

If anyone needs the decals just pm me. I will check with printer in the morning. I can do stamp but would prefer to do priority mail.

#826 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

trade me for my super super nice TSPP and a little coin.

As tempting as your offer is, I will keep my Dredd... and the coin.

coin.jpegcoin.jpeg

#827 8 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

If anyone needs the decals just pm me. I will check with printer in the morning. I can do stamp but would prefer to do priority mail.

Or just provide the file? If I end up doing this mod I will provide the file to everyone for free. The art on the towers are rather basic.

#828 8 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Mancave. Did you have to make new holes in the plastic or are they a mount already? I'm trying to make it so you don't need to make new holes to mount (reversible).

Yeah i made some extra holes, admittedly not the best way to go. I'm hoping JD plastic sets get released again

#829 8 years ago

Also, another idea. I would use an acrylic dowel as the center post that mounts the stack. Then wrap an LED strip from comet around that dowel rather than a single LED.

I was just thinking about this. Would you still use the rubber on top to hold the tower down or perhaps a thread and nut? (or something similar)

#830 8 years ago

<blockquotete="#2528618">I want a Dredd. A really nice one. Someone sell me one. Or trade me for my super super nice TSPP and a little coin. Or throw something else in. Or something. Come on. Do it.

You sld of bought my beautiful one . I already miss it but lack of room something had to move

#831 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I was just thinking about this. Would you still use the rubber on top to hold the tower down or perhaps a thread and nut? (or something similar)

All you have to do is remove the wires and light that is in your socket. Stick an acrylic dowel in it. "with some epoxy" then adhere the dowel to your metal bracket that holds down the plastic stack via a rubber. Then wrap that LED strip around that dowel. Use the same voltage from your GI or Insert or whatever you picked to power each stack and hook that power the strip for each stack.

dowel.gifdowel.gif

#832 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I want a Dredd. A really nice one. Someone sell me one. Or trade me for my super super nice TSPP and a little coin. Or throw something else in. Or something. Come on. Do it.
You sld of bought my beautiful one . I already miss it but lack of room something had to move

Yeah, I love this game. It is right next to my IJ & ST:TNG of Never Will Ever Sell Pins.

#833 8 years ago

<blockte cite="#2529006">Yeah, I love this game. It is right next to my IJ & ST:TNG of Never Will Ever Sell Pins.

Its a really good pin for the price but I like trying everything lol

#834 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

<blockte cite="#2529006">Yeah, I love this game. It is right next to my IJ & ST:TNG of Never Will Ever Sell Pins.
Its a really good pin for the price but I like trying everything lol

Allready have a whirlwind and jm coming in its place. Also shadow coming soon

#835 8 years ago

All you have to do is remove the wires and light that is in your socket. Stick an acrylic dowel in it. "with some epoxy" then adhere the dowel to your metal bracket that holds down the plastic stack via a rubber. Then wrap that LED strip around that dowel. Use the same voltage from your GI or Insert or whatever you picked to power each stack and hook that power the strip for each stack.

Ahhh gotcha, i was initially thinking you meant replacing the top post and wrapping the LED strip around this (below the mounting level) so it would reduce any shadowing from the bracket.

#836 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I'll have one ready to sell hopefully soon. 3/4 nice, I'm just not thrilled with the touchups on 1 side of the head. The rest looks good. Needs some light work at the moment, cleaning & LED's. Just no time to work on it at the moment. I can ship. The right ramp is even good where it is always broken. No topper. PM me if interested as-is. I can give you more details..

#837 8 years ago

The DE Simpson tower mod is very cool. I think it would look neat with UV lights in the towers and glow in the dark captive balls. Or the green Glo-Balls, if they're UV reflective. Give it a radioactive feel.

#838 8 years ago

I checked with my art guy and he is in a good mood today so he has giving me the file to give to you all..

#839 8 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

I checked with my art guy and he is in a good mood today so he has giving me the file to give to you all.

Now THAT'S the shape mine needed to be

#840 8 years ago

THANKS Soapman, i'm going to get my decals redone i think, they look great and are far more uniform in fit to the one's i had done. I'm also going to redo the mount somewhat, after playing the machine for a few hours last night i found that the towers still move around (rotate) due to the nudging, etc. I think replacing the top post with one that is threaded and then locking down (gently) with a nut will be much better option (may need some spacers underneath as well). The other thing is that Tower 1 JUST fits under the glass, in fact, moves back a bit when pushing the glass back on so that will need to be addressed as well.

#841 8 years ago

Soooo, where does one find the DE Simpson towers? This looks like a must for my JD!

#842 8 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Soooo, where does one find the DE Simpson towers? This looks like a must for my JD!

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=545-6065-25R
$6.95 e/a

#843 8 years ago

See I want to go with the grey Stern towers since well the towers are grey. Are the grey towers a different size?

#844 8 years ago

I'm going to use the gray for mine.

#845 8 years ago

See I want to go with the grey Stern towers since well the towers are grey. Are the grey towers a different size?

They look the same size to me.

#846 8 years ago

I choose the red because the numbers on my decal are cut out so you would see the red behind when lite. I like the glow of the red my self. Hope the pdf works for everyone.

#847 8 years ago

Need to share.

2015pics_143.jpg2015pics_143.jpg

#848 8 years ago

Joined the club tonight!!!

Glad to see you finally found one Picard! Welcome to the club

#849 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Glad to see you finally found one Picard! Welcome to the club

Thanks Such a fun game. Especially with an external sub right by your feet lol. I am sure my neighbors hate the pin...

#850 8 years ago

...not if they love awesome guitar riffs!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 4,876 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dredd-owners-thread-members-only/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.