Topic poll

“Which game is better?”

• I think JD is awesome and a superior game 25 votes
    32%
  • No, TS is much better 54 votes
    68%

(79 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 3 years ago

I've never played Dread, but I'm hearing it's better than Shadow, any recommendations?

#2 3 years ago

Shadow all day long!

#3 3 years ago

For me Shadow was dreadful, Judge Dredd not so much.

#4 3 years ago

Both are fun and good pins imo. Ts is usually more money tho.

#5 3 years ago

Both are great when restored and tweaked to play well!

when they are not, Shadow plays fine, but JD suffers when not playing at its Peak.

Some of the shots on Dredd blow me away how they can loop around endlessly.

I do prefer the Shadow theme, music, and DMD games, but a Sweet JD can be quite special!

#6 3 years ago

I own both. They're very different games.

TS is much more challenging with harder shots. Consequently, more rewarding when you do well.

JD is the ultimate mode game - 4 flippers, 4 ramps, endless shots, tons of modes, supergame, widebody.
Both have great art packages, JD certainly has better music and callouts.

I always have a blast with JD and 1/3 times I walk away from Shadow frustrated.
If I had to pick it'd definitely be JD.

#7 3 years ago

I agree with dudah, keep an open eye and start with JD.

I found a killer game under $1500, my second, a couple months ago. but in general they are around 2K +
Great Game in many ways, just make sure its working well, its a bit of a beast!

#8 3 years ago

Both are great games, like others have said above Shadow has harder shots overall but is a fun game. Dredd is currently in my collection and is a great game, tons of shots, super-ball mode and the dedworld mod is one of the coolest ball locks in pinball IMO. I got rid of a STTNG because my friends wouldn't play it because of the drains. Got JD and have had to kick people out of my place because it was getting so late. Can't go wrong with either one.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I've never played Dread, but I'm hearing it's better than Shadow, any recommendations?

Owned them both. No Brainer for me. JD is long gone, Shadow is still here. Satisfying shots, clear goals, quirky theme. Never gets old. A Brian Eddy gem in my opinion, that came out before AFM and MM. JD is good too, but I think Shadow is about as close as you can get to "A-List" without being A-List

#10 3 years ago

I got a Dredd for a great price and have put a good amount of time into, and I would take TS over it allllll day. For everything that Dredd has going for it in features, it just isn't as fun as it should be. TS is challenging and rewarding, and has some unique charm to it.

#11 3 years ago

Dredd is another Trudeau stinker.

I think shadow is a little overrated these days (it can get old fast) but it's way better than JD, which really should still be a $1,400 game.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dredd is another Trudeau stinker.

Trudeau only made one stinker and you know it!

#13 3 years ago

Both are fun but JD takes it for me because of all the modes. Once you get to the Ultimate Challenge though it's a little disappointing. That Wizard Mode could have been so much better.

If going JD, I think the Deadworld Mod is a must. Otherwise you can just keep hitting the loop shot over and over to get Deadworld multiball. The Deadworld Mod makes it much more challenging IMO.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think shadow is a little overrated these days (it can get old fast) but it's way better than JD, which really should still be a $1,400 game.

Not based on TC pricing which is where i think this thread was born from..

#15 3 years ago

Had a chance to buy a judge a couple months back for $1850 with the topper, never ever has a shadow been under 2k as long as I have been in this new hobby for me. 6 years now.

#16 3 years ago

Both are great games but I personally would pick judge dredd

#17 3 years ago

First, only your opinion matters.

But... for me it's JD by a million. I cannot stand shadow. Those funky things that slide left/right are clunky and not fun.

JD has a ton of cool things to do. It has excellent flow. The art on play field is great. Plus it's just fun. Add Deadworld mod to return game to its original design and it's the clear choice for me.

#18 3 years ago

I've got these two side by side, and think they're both great games. Dredd is much more fun, though. It might be my favorite game in my collection, just edging out Congo and Whitewater. Shadow, while awesome, is too frustrating some of the time.

#19 3 years ago

Dread is ok. I passed dozens of times over the years on picking up a shadow and never thought much of the game. I picked one up about 4 months ago and after playing for awile I'd have to say it's overall one of the most underrated and just addictive games out there.

#20 3 years ago

Thanks for the input. I have a Shadow (currently being restored) and based on this thread will start looking for a JD too. Gotta find one to play first though!

#22 3 years ago

I have owned both and enjoyed each tremendously. The Shadow is by far the most challenging. I only reached The Final Battle a couple of times and never completed it. The super game feature on JD is neat to mix things up once in a while but I did not use it much. If I had to choose I would take Shadow over JD but would be happy with either.

#23 3 years ago

The Shadow is much better - but if you're not a good/great player then JD will probably be a better game for you. Shadow is high on difficulty, which can take away the fun factor. Again, if you are a good/great player then the Shadow is an awesome game!

#24 3 years ago

Agree with others. Shadow is a good game but very tough. Changing some of the settings help but gameplay will leave you frustrated most of tthe time. The draw is that when you do accomplish something in the game it is a rush. I have not played JD much but do like Trudeau games. They seem to be much better to the casual player. I think it's nice having both type of games in a collection. One tough that makes you a better player and the other to play just for fun and relax.

#25 3 years ago

I think the reason the vote is skewed the obvious wrong way is because there is no game called "Dread".

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Trudeau only made one stinker and you know it!

OK, I have to bite. What's Trudeau's worst game?

#27 3 years ago

I own both. Very different games. JD has long ball times and is pretty forgiving for poor targeting. TS punishes you for every missed shot. Much shorter ball times. If you want a challenge go with TS, if you want to relax and just kick the ball around a bit JD is the better choice.

#28 3 years ago

Had both, Dredd is gone with no regrets, Shadow is a keeper.

Dredd is/was a $1400 game (folks) for a reason.

Shadow will make a better player out of you! Some may dislike the Phurba diverters, but one of my favorite pinball experiences is the rhythm and flow of using them to repeatedly shoot all four wireforms and collecting Vengeance.

#29 3 years ago

Trust me, when asking these questions the more expensive game always wins the vote.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Trust me, when asking these questions the more expensive game always wins the vote.

I got a good chuckle! Insightful!

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

OK, I have to bite. What's Trudeau's worst game?

I would like to say WWE, but then I remembered the 5326 Gottlieb games he did in the 80's that were pretty terrible.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

I would like to say WWE,

My pick for sure... horrible game imho !!

#33 3 years ago

WWE, does anybody actually like that game? I played it once in Houston and thought it was one of the worst games ever I've ever played.

#34 3 years ago

For me it was TS . I had a JD and I loved the theme and art. It has some cool toys but they are underutilized. It got old for me fast as I only had it for 4 months - every game just felt the same. I would definitely own it to try it if I were you and decide if it is a keeper as many people think it is quite under-rated.

Oddly enou, I always found TS wasn't for me until I finally bought one - I love it now. So just goes to show others opinions don't really count for much.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

TOTAN vs Metallica

Really though, that's a good point! While I don't generally feel more expensive games arw better, that seems to end up being the concensus on most of these threads.

#36 3 years ago

Owned both. JD is gone, TS will never leave.

JD is great for what it is, solid value title with cool theme/art/sound. But Shadow is a much better *pinball machine* with varying scoring strategies and a higher degree of difficulty.

Factoring in value... my answer is JD for casuals, TS for players.

#37 3 years ago

Another vote for TS right here. For me it's a keeper and it's been here for about 10 years now.
It is a tough game and when you get to sign in, you know you earned it.
I see you have found one, you won't be disappointed.
Enjoy!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Creo Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside