Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Superchicken
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Before2.jpg
Before.jpg
1.JPG
IMG_20140224_143015.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Why would anyone do this? I haven’t gotten the harness sorted out yet so I don’t know if the answer to this question is that some else cut the harness and now it’s too short. If that’s the case, I thinking could always move the rectifier board back a few inches and take a shortcut.

IMG_20140224_143015.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Because they didn't know that they could just disconnect them?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Because they didn't know that they could just disconnect them?

Yeah. I thought about that, but I would expect that the wire colors would match.

#4 5 years ago

Those are IDC type plugs. The early Stern games used standard crimp pin headers. Looks like they spliced in some plugs from some other game...

I just finished undoing a rats nest of wiring hacks in my Star Gazer and had to shorten the 20 pin cable about 7 inches due to the number of hacked up wires. I just rerouted the cable around the speaker to make it reach. I did not want to mess with splicing and heat shrinking that many wires just to extend them.

Here is the wiring hacks I started with...
Before.jpg

Before2.jpg

And here it is after. Took a while to figure out what they had done with all of the bypass wires and splices. They had just twisted wires together without soldering them and heatshrinked them. Once I cut the heatshrink back they pulled apart... Glad I fixed the wiring but I still need to fix the rectifier board that they could have easily fixed that they instead decided to rewire around...
1.JPG

-- Shawn

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from DallasPinball:

Those are IDC type plugs. The early Stern games used standard crimp pin headers. Looks like they spliced in some plugs from some other game...

That's it. Burnt plugs on the rectifier. No connectors, no crimper, extra non-working Williams game. Bingo! Just cut the connectors off of that game and splice them on. Git-R-Done.

I have a minor rats nest that I think will sort out OK. I've been buying complete harnesses at flea markets whenever I see them. So worse case I may be able to a transplant one to the back box if needed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lake Saint Louis, MO
$ 19.95
$ 10.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside