(Topic ID: 254655)

Dragon's Lair Homebrew ETPinball

By arcademojo

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

horse-dead.gif
    FA452199-9EC2-43D2-9EAA-8F064B77483B (resized).png
    924F54E2-B747-4020-8C44-81411FC491B0 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20210714_213047 (resized).jpg
    20210713_112622 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210712-190422_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Delhi_Lawyers (resized).jpg
    224ea675d84c4c3c8f7376d94e3dcc4d227f0e23 (resized).jpg
    23012019 (resized).jpg
    80802038_10219088241270275_6365818544071901184_n (resized).jpg
    80350519_10219088246150397_878861174752411648_n (resized).jpg
    80094422_10219088241750287_2230811077308841984_n (resized).jpg
    80048312_10219088240470255_100968191433375744_n (resized).jpg
    80041973_10219088247230424_6883459079306477568_n (resized).jpg
    79943058_10219088244870365_2130620219121467392_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#244 1 year ago

So the guy who was threatening people with legal action is himself "Foxed"?

Points if you get this obscure gamer reference.

#258 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

I’m very sorry that your project has been halted. I was excited to see the game. Something may have been lost in translation from Italian to English, but I reported exactly what you wrote in the article. I did not embellish anything. I am fan of your work and want to see the game completed. This is exactly what I wrote, which I believe very accurately reflects the situation.
    “The individual who is working on the project posted a poll in the "Dragon's Lair Pinball" Facebook Group about an upcoming Kickstarter for the game. Beyond the funding information, the post also talks about the showing of three versions of the game, Standard, Limited and Premium, "after the official expo." I wonder if this means the upcoming Pinball Expo that is scheduled to take place in Chicago from October 19th through the 22nd of this year? I vaguely remember talk about that event and this project in the past, so probably. If the project funds the post stated that production of the game will begin in 2023.”[quoted image]

"Kickstarter announcement coming soon" is pretty unambiguous.

#264 1 year ago
    Quoted from T-800:

I’ve been following the development of this project since the beginning. I must have checked a thousand times to see if you happened to post a small update. I was amazed at how much interest you got from so many people with such little actually shown. It says a lot that you have so many people supporting you and you didn’t even show a game play video. Your creative combination of the Dragon’s Lair world appeared to be very well done and the beauty of the artwork and sculpts was miles ahead of most Homebrew projects. Needless to say I’m disappointed your dream has been crushed, hopefully only temporarily. I’m also a bit disappointed in our community and all of the individuals that piled on the negativity against your project simply on what they thought *might* happen in the *future*. I don’t believe there was a language barrier issue; it was clear you were simply looking for understanding of how much support you had for the project.
    Hopefully this doesn’t happen to other Homebrew projects in the future as it just kills this hobby.
    Wishing you all the luck in your future endeavors, would have loved to see your vision in person and actually been able to flip it at The Chicago Pinball Expo.

There is nothing stopping him from building a homebrew Dragons Lair.

#268 1 year ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Lol, other than the cease and desist he was issued and threat of lawsuit.
    Sure, he *can* build whatever he wants but that doesn’t mean there won’t be consequences. We all know in our messed up legal system someone can sue anyone for practically anything.

They can't relistically go after him unless there is money involved, like a kickstarter.

#270 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

That's what I was wondering too. I thought for personal use was OK?

Again, unless there is money involved or he is someone trashing the IP there is nothing they can realistically do. The fact he is not in the states makes it even more difficult.

Call me a doubter, the story about "some guy going after me with a fake account" doesn't ring true.

More going on here than meets the eye.

#277 1 year ago
    Quoted from adol75:

That's not true. Homebrew are somewhat tolerated because the IP owner doesn't know or doesn't care.

Lucasfilm is well aware that Star Wars fans make their own costumes and go to huge events.

Using an IP for personal use is pretty well trod ground, as is making a profit from it without licence. One will get you in trouble, the other wont.

A kickstarter was mentioned, that was all it took to get nuked not to mention the poster "protecting his work"

It's not his IP, so was on thin ice making all sorts of noise about ownership. Sorry but this was a self own in the making.

#280 1 year ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Yes that is why it's tolerated but it is not the "personal use" or " non profit" that makes it tolerated it's a thin line between closing their eyes because it benefits the brand and just not going after individuals because it's pointless.
    That being is if DL IP owners want to go after that individual they totally can.

Again, the poster started throwing around claims of ownership and a kickstarter.

He shot himself in the face on 2 points.

#291 1 year ago
    Quoted from adol75:

That being is if DL IP owners want to go after that individual they totally can.

Which takes money out of the IP owners pocket.

The IP owner is not going to go after an individual for a home build.

If there is no money involved, no lawyers will be involved.

1 week later
    #313 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Honestly, If this were me, nothing would stop me from finishing that machine for my own personal use and enjoying the heck out of it. Nor would I let them stop me from showing it off at Pintastic, Allentown or anywhere else I was invited to attend. I'd have zero fear of being sued as there's no way they're spending all that time, lawyer expense or fees trying to wheel me into court, especially when there's zero money to gain from it.

If he had any interaction with the IP holder and signed anything then his legal risk is high, this is poor advice.

Diligent IP holders have no choice but to wield a legal hammer when a nail pops up or risk devaluing the IP or worse losing it to the general public.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dragon-s-lair-prototype-etpinball-?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.