10 (resized).jpg
9 (resized).jpg
7 (resized).jpg
6 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pecos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from McSparkle:

That last picture is the beer kill count so far. ( it would have been more but we were wearing masks that prevented our consumption.)

Ha ha!

The bottom mech board on all of the Williams EMs I have seen can be easily pulled from the cabinet by removing 5-7 Jones Plugs and two giant bolts. I have no idea if this can be easily done on the Interflip, but you will save yourself a world of trouble, not to mention back pains, removing the mech board and working on it on a bench.

You might as well remove the mechs from the mech board while you are at it. I remove any labels, sand down the board, clear coat it a few times and put the mechs back on.

Wiring harnesses can be cleaned too. It depends on how much work you want to do. I have removed all of the mechs, transformer, relays, score motor and harnesses and scrubbed them down in a sink with a good degreasing dishwasher soap and Bon Ami with fair results, keeping the transformer, total play meter, score motor and other water sensitive parts from getting wet and allowing to dry for several days. The problem with this method is getting all of the Bon Ami and soap out. I would suggest skipping the Bon Ami and using only dishwashing soap if you want to try this. I have also used a lot of paper towels and isopropyl alcohol to clean each harness and wire. This worked surprisingly well. Do you have cloth or plastic coated wires?

Perhaps others will offer up other suggestions or additional ideas for you. I vaguely remember something about washing machines and dish washing machines diverted to the task but only for the wiring harnesses themselves.

Congratulations on the work so far! If you don't have too many chewed through wires, it shouldn't be an impossible task. Always remember this - 'The bigger they are the harder they fall.'

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from davvik:

It's a mix between cloth and vinyl coated wires... I'm worried about getting everything out of the cloth wires...

Yeah, cloth is harder to clean. You can probably get by with blue window cleaner and rags for the plastic coated wires. Try lots of isopropyl alcohol and clean paper towels on a few of the cloth covered wires as a test. Most of the crud is on the surface and can be wiped off. It's tedious and slow work but it looks so much better when done.

I use the opportunity to straighten any matted down wires into nice looking loops and search for the soldered ends of leaf switches touching other switches where they shouldn't be. Since you've had at least one squirrel taking up residence, you might find all kinds of problems not seen in a typical restoration, like bare wires touching.

Then I do a thorough cleaning of the relays and switches with isopropyl alcohol and Q-Tips. After cleaning, I tighten the screws on the relays, if I remember, and adjust all contacts. Unfortunately, I have found that cleaning with isopropyl alcohol isn't enough for some contacts. I then have to go back and find the problem switches and use 500 grit sandpaper to get them working again.

#22 7 years ago

Wow! That looks great! Nice work!

Quoted from McSparkle:

Everything is still shiny looking with very few chewed wires.

I would say you are VERY lucky considering the damage that could have been done by your fine furry friend(s) there. I'm looking forward to further updates.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pecos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dragon-interflip-distaster?tu=pecos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.