Dracula sound goes out

By WaddleJrJr

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Sound keeps going out during games of BSD, but it back up when rebooted. Sometimes the sound just turns into a single hum tone, or sometimes it just goes silent.

Anyone have any ideas to fix?

#2 7 years ago

Check the ribbon cable and make sure the ROM's are fully seated.

#3 7 years ago

Checked everything, all fully seated.

Another issue that seems to happen is the sound sporadically getting really soft or really loud.

#4 7 years ago

That's normal.. It's a game feature. I believe it does have an adjustment somewhere in the adjustments to turn it off.. I love it tho, especially when ya hit jackpots!!! I wish more games did it

#5 7 years ago

Don't think what I'm experiencing is a feature. It goes from like, straining to hear to shouting louder than any other game. Just at random times too, not when there's any particular action happening.

#6 7 years ago

Change it in adjustments... And report back.. Maybee this is something different, but this game has the feature of getting louder at certain times.. It's the only game with this feature. For example ball save he shouts "ever lasting love". Or jackpots are loud as all shit, or other random times while playing "master you promised me eternal life" smash! i don't turn my game up above 10 because I'm afraid when i get a coffin jackpot it's gonna blow the damn speakers lol

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Don't think what I'm experiencing is a feature. It goes from like, straining to hear to shouting louder than any other game. Just at random times too, not when there's any particular action happening.

Does it get lower again or do you have to end game or reboot the machine to get lower? It may be this:

Volume up FULL and Can't turn it Down.
The volume control on all WPC games is electronic. On pre-WPC95 games, this is controlled by an electronic prom pot. This E-pot is a X9503, at location U5 on the sound board. If turning the volume up or down has no effect, and the volume is stuck on full blast, this is the first component that should be checked. Also the capacitor C18 (47 mfd, 25 volts) that connects to the E-pot can fail too, and should be checked.

If it goes from loud to low then it may be this:

◾Re-seat all the sound board ribbon cables. Surprisingly, this fixes a large number of WPC sound problems!
◾Bad rectifier diodes on the sound board. Often these become leaky and can cause intermittent problems before they total short.
◾Speakers blown: yes this happens more often than you might think. If the game was in a noisey arcade, the volume could be up so loud it blows the speakers. You can test the speakers (with the game off) using a 9 volt battery. Momentarily hook the battery up to the leads of the speaker. You will hear the speaker cone pull in if the speaker is good, when you attach the battery to the speaker. Make sure you check the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet too. Often if one speaker is blown, the others will not work.
◾Main amplifier is bad: the sound board uses a LM1875 as the main amplifier. This device has a large heat sink attached to it. Often, this component has heat failure. The sound works fine until the game warms up for five minutes or so. Then the sound starts cutting in and out. You can use a logic probe on the leads of the LM1875. If the probe's beeps correspond to the cut in sound on one of the leads, the LM1875 is probably bad.
◾If the LM1875 isn't at fault, check both of the op-amps too. Depending on the revision of the sound board (DCS or pre-DCS), these audio amps can effect a certain type of sound they amplify.

Just a thought where to start.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Mine had this exact behavior, the culprit turned out to be the speaker connection in the bottom of the cabinet. Reseated/adjusted those connectors and never had the problem again.

#9 7 years ago

The volume thing is just a small aside, the main issue I'm having is sound just going out completely, or becoming one straight humming tone.

Will check out all those suggestions though, thanks.

#10 7 years ago

Anyone able to explain the sound going out or being a single really annoying tone?

Forget I ever mentioned the volume thing.

#11 7 years ago

Is there any battery damage on the MPU? I recently encountered a BSD that functioned fine except for the sound as a result of leaking batteries.

#12 7 years ago

Did you try all of the things that DeathHimself listed?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

Is there any battery damage on the MPU? I recently encountered a BSD that functioned fine except for the sound as a result of leaking batteries.

Nope.

Quoted from terryb:

Did you try all of the things that DeathHimself listed?

Tried all the things I can practically try at the moment. I'm guessing replacing the whole sound board would do it, but I couldn't say. Speakers are fine though, subwoofer was blown out but has been replaced.

#14 7 years ago

Is this something that just started happening overnight or did you just pickup the BSD and discover this issue when shopping it? In addition can you tell us what version CPU and Sound ROMS are installed? I know you stated that the sub was blown, a blown speaker can cause these symptoms as well, not that it's extremely crucial but when the sub was replaced are you sure the polarity is correct on the tabs, maybe try taking one lead off the sub and powering the machine up and see if any sound can be heard. Finally if all else fails, don't throw the baby out with the bath tub water. Just send out your sound board for repair to one of the great many people on here at Pinside, it will be cheaper then a whole new sound board and IMHO I still like the original boards over any current repro.

2 weeks later
#15 7 years ago

This was a new one

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Is this something that just started happening overnight or did you just pickup the BSD and discover this issue when shopping it? In addition can you tell us what version CPU and Sound ROMS are installed? I know you stated that the sub was blown, a blown speaker can cause these symptoms as well, not that it's extremely crucial but when the sub was replaced are you sure the polarity is correct on the tabs, maybe try taking one lead off the sub and powering the machine up and see if any sound can be heard. Finally if all else fails, don't throw the baby out with the bath tub water. Just send out your sound board for repair to one of the great many people on here at Pinside, it will be cheaper then a whole new sound board and IMHO I still like the original boards over any current repro.

Long lasting issue with this Dracula. The game isn't mine, but has been on various locations in the past few years, and has had audio issues for at least the past year, maybe longer. It's at mine now so I'd like to fix it. Will check that other information.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Tried all the things I can practically try at the moment.

Quoted from DeathHimself:

Re-seat all the sound board ribbon cables. Surprisingly, this fixes a large number of WPC sound problems!

Quoted from terryb:

Check the ribbon cable and make sure the ROM's are fully seated.

Reseat it all 4 of the board connections (MPU to Fliptronix to sound board to the DMD controller board).

Have not seen you comment on that yet.

#18 7 years ago

Do you get any sound RAM or sound ROM errors during boot up?

#19 7 years ago

Yes I've reseated everything multiple times.

No errors upon boot-up.

#20 7 years ago

It almost sounds like the Ecto-1 has arrived to kick Dracula's ass.

Wish I could help.

#21 7 years ago

You can remove the sound board and take it to someone to test or send it for repair.
The machine will work fine without a sound board, obviously with no sound.
I did this on TAF for a friend so he could still play the game while I repaired his sound board.
His sound board had a RAM error at power up and cut in and out a lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 84.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dracula-sound-goes-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.