(Topic ID: 239667)

Dr Who Time Expander Trouble

By tjprice222

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I’m having a few issues with the Time Expander in my doctor who and I need a little help. First issue is the slight rocking from side to side at the top of the travel. I’ve checked for square in the bracket and clamped it when I reasssembled the unit and the cam looks correctly placed as far as I can tell.

The next issue is the play field is getting stuck during travel - usually while raising. I can’t seem to find a way to adjust the actual placement of the time expander in the opening of the playfield but it seems too tight in the front especially with the cliffy protector. The motor tests okay otherwise so I’m inclined to think it’s being caused by actual interference against the playfield.

pinball_faz - can you shed any light on this for me? I have a few video links attached. Thanks in advance all!

#2 5 years ago

Some games were made with such a tight clearance at the front that you may be forced to slightly drill out the holes in the Time Expander bracket that fixes it to the playfield.

Before you do that though, loosen the 4 screws That attach it to the PF, and hold (don’t shove) the Time Expander back as far as possible. Hard- (use the metal posts for leverage)

Then screw in 2 of the screws and test the fit. You only need 1/16” or so.

Barring that, get out your Dremel and slightly elongate the rear screw holes in that bracket

As far as the rocking side to side - have you cleaned the mechanism? That 25 year old grease hardens up really bad. Remove all of it and reapply silicone grease (available at Pinrestore) gently to the bracket at the rollers

If you really want to go all out, you can remove the mini playfield entirely from the game and attach a 9v battery directly to the motor. This should be enough power to test the mech, it will go up and down easily if everything is just. you can then see if it’s binding on a certain part, of something is out of alignment, catching, etc.

If it goes up and down fine, you probably have an issue with the fit in the playfield, and elongating the bracket holes should be sufficient.

#3 5 years ago

I'm not sure if it's binding / rubbing the front of the mini playfield or just really close. Can you confirm? The fact it continues travel it seems to me that it's not binding (hard). Might just be brushing. If it was binding hard, I would expect your gear box to be rice crispies.

Agree with shifting back first. Slotting the bracket will definitely be a solution and it's simple.

As for the rocking... I would not sweat it. That's definitely not bad at all; I've seen much worse. If it's really bothersome for you I can recommend a loosening and tightening the spreader on the bracket but you need to push the bracket apart to the point of being perfectly square. Too loose, more wobble. Too tight, it will bind. Some UHMW plastic strips has been used before to take up space if the brackets are warped too badly.

Now for what's happening with the leveling of the MPF. While the binding is still in question, I believe your concern is the random stopping. I think it's because when I look at your game I'm thrown into seizures. Those LEDs are amazing looking however super bright. Even though opto's are meant to be IR sender/receivers they DO INDEED react to regular light. Since the cam is devised to block/allow light past, I have $1 on the table that the light noise of the LEDs is shutting down the travel of the MPF. It would be the LED emitter/receiver at the very base of the MPF. Perhaps try to tape some paper to the fixed part of the bracket to shroud the light noise. If that works you can create something a little more elegant.

faz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-time-expander-trouble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.