(Topic ID: 289995)

Dr. Who TARDIS VUK and Time Expander Issues

By sgtski1978

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have two issues with Dr. Who I'm trying to chase...

- VUK under the TARDIS registers a ball presence (blue light comes on), but more often than not, will not kick the ball up and into the inlane ramp. Will happen at ball launch, as well as coming in from the pops. Thinking the optos are going out, but not sure.

- Time Expander is all wonky. Switch tests work fine and there's no blockage of travel, but it will not set itself at the proper position, record DALEK hits (randomly), sometimes sits about 3/4" above the playfield. It's a mess. Is there a board that controls this, or is it more likely a ROM that's gone bad? Or maybe something else?

Thanks

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from sgtski1978:

I have two issues with Dr. Who I'm trying to chase...
- VUK under the TARDIS registers a ball presence (blue light comes on), but more often than not, will not kick the ball up and into the inlane ramp. Will happen at ball launch, as well as coming in from the pops. Thinking the optos are going out, but not sure.
- Time Expander is all wonky. Switch tests work fine and there's no blockage of travel, but it will not set itself at the proper position, record DALEK hits (randomly), sometimes sits about 3/4" above the playfield. It's a mess. Is there a board that controls this, or is it more likely a ROM that's gone bad? Or maybe something else?
Thanks

Issue #1and #2 usually bad connector pins on MPU, J206-3, check for corrosion and broken wires, but still check optos

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Issue #1and #2 usually bad connector pins on MPU, J206-3, check for corrosion and broken wires, but still check optos

Thanks. Gave it a look and J206 was good to go. Reseated it anyway. Problem I have now is the expander wont even move in testing.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from sgtski1978:

Thanks. Gave it a look and J206 was good to go. Reseated it anyway. Problem I have now is the expander wont even move in testing.

So look for 2 wires, black and red, that would be attached to a small motor on the time expander. If you raise the playfield to the full upright position, the min playfield will be exposed and the motor should be visible along with the wires. If one has broken off, their will be no movement, or the plug itself is unplugged

#5 3 years ago

It sounds like it had movement, so I'm thinking more a connector issue. As eyeamred2u said, the red/black is power to the motor, but the optos control the stages and where the CPU thinks it is.

Step1) do a full test of the whole machine of the basic functions. Inventory what works and what does not. Every switch, solenoid and even the flashers. Test the switches with a ball, not your finger. A few non-sequitur switches not working could indicate a matrix issue.
Step2) If you get it moving again, try running TEST 14 to run the MPF through it's paces. There's a lot of really good intel displayed on the DMD.

faz

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

It sounds like it had movement, so I'm thinking more a connector issue. As eyeamred2u said, the red/black is power to the motor, but the optos control the stages and where the CPU thinks it is.
Step1) do a full test of the whole machine of the basic functions. Inventory what works and what does not. Every switch, solenoid and even the flashers. Test the switches with a ball, not your finger. A few non-sequitur switches not working could indicate a matrix issue.
Step2) If you get it moving again, try running TEST 14 to run the MPF through it's paces. There's a lot of really good intel displayed on the DMD.
faz

Listen to pinball_faz ! He has a killer guide for the mini playfield as well. It was hugely helpful to me when I fixed up my Doctor Who.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

faz

Do as Faz has stated and all functions of the game needs to be tested. If their is a bad connection at J206-3, that MPF position is not going to be correct, trust me I know. I replaced optos in that MPF and finally tracked it to a broken wire in the J206 connector. J206-3 in the switch matrix is very critical to what issues you are having, so do not rule out the small stuff. Pay attention to the DMD as Faz says, if the MPF is not going to Top, Middle or Bottom, narrow down why. Dirty opto. Bad opto receiver. Broken wire. Let us know what you find, hopefully we can assist further.

#8 3 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Will give it a good look today (just been busy and have not had time).

1 month later
#9 2 years ago

I had the VUK problem you describe recently myself. I had switched the original Tardis over to a USB Tardis that looks nicer. However, after getting the same VUK problem. I started looking at probably replacing the Optos. However, what I found was that the green and white wire that goes to the blue bulb in the top of the Tardis was interupting (in between) the optos sometimes. With it Ty-wrapped away, the problem went away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-tardis-vuk-and-time-expander-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.