Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E28F0FA0-2AF4-4153-95D0-07F76B7EC20F (resized).jpeg
889blkrose6s (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cycloneman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

if the fuses are good at f114 and f115 then it would mean there is no 12volts going to the switch matrix,test BR1 and see what measurements you get.report back and we will go from there.also check the solder joints that hold BR1 and see if there are any cracks

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Thanks. I will do it tomorrow and keep you posted.

sounds good.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Hi,
AC side shows 14,1vac
DC side shows 18,1vdc
Led1 and led6 are lit

Ok,Those measurements are correct and BR1 is working proberly.

So turn the game on, set your DMM (digitial multi meter) to AC voltage, put the black lead on ground, and check for AC voltage on either side of fuse f114. You should get about 7 volts AC. This means the fuse is good. Now set your DMM to DC volts, and check for voltage at TP8 (test point 8, located at the right side of the driver board.) There you should see about 18 volts. If these things check out, the bridge BR1 is good. No voltage at TP8? That means BR1 is open. For our repair, TP8 does indeed show about 18 volts, so we know things to this point are OK.
If you follow the schematic along past TP8 (where we know there is voltage), you come across a pair of 1n4004 diodes. We can use our DMM and check voltage on the right banded side of diode D2 (see the video). And sure enough, we get about 17 volts (because these two diodes D1 and D2 drop the voltage about 1/2 volt each, from 18 volts to 17 volts.) Now if we check for voltage at f115 (or TP3), we should see 12 volts. In our case we do not. That means that our problem as to be betwen fuse f115 and diode D2.

So what’s left in the schematic? Well frankly not much! Basically LM7812 and two capacitors. The LM7812 is a voltage regulator, takes the unregulated 17 volts and makes it regulated 12 volts (for the switch matrix.) I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these fail! But the one thing that does fail in this circuit is what’s shown in the schematic below with the red arrow, a 100 mfd 25 volt capacitor C2. It’s not so much that the cap is no longer working, but what it does as it fails. It leaks it’s electrolyte fluids, which eat the circuit board traces (a lot like battery corrosion), and the circuit goes open. Now there’s no 12 volts, no switch matrix, and you get the “check fuses f114 and f115” error message at game boot up.

the LM7812 voltage regulator is right by fuse f115, and the capacitor C2 is just to the left of the LM7812. If you look at the board, nothing visually seems problematic, as the picture below shows. But don’t be fooled by this
Removing capacitor C2 from the driver board shows that there is indeed a problem. The bottom of the capacitor is physically wet and gross, and the driver board where the cap mounts is discolored.

remember, the game thinks that fuse f114 and/or f115 are a potential issue. These fuses, and this circuit, power the game’s switch matrix. And in the switch matrix, there is one switch (usually switch 24) that is permanently wired closed. That is, the cabling going from the CPU board to the coin door interface board (mounted by the tilt bob) has this switch permanently wired closed.

info was gathered from clay's pinballninja site..great site join up over 800 documented fixes from every game..bally/williams,gottilieb,stern,sega,data east and many more just email clay at [email protected]

889blkrose6s (resized).jpg889blkrose6s (resized).jpg

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Hi,
It is really kind of you, you spent much time explaining and I will go through carefully.
I actually solved my matrix problem by replacing the ULN2308.
Great support ! Thank you
Jean-michel

your welcome,have fun

3 weeks later
#14 5 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

As I could not figure out what was happening, I purchased a new MPU. Sure the wiring is not responsible.

do you test for continuty from the connectors wires to the playfield?to see if there are any breaks,kinks,ect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

£ 110.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cycloneman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-strange-switch-matrix-behaviour?tu=cycloneman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.