• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Catch86
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi,

I have experienced a switch matrix problem. I thought it was that.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-strange-switch-matrix-behaviour

But now, it is so strange to me, that I initiate a new thread.

When I switch on the machine, I receive a message "warning, miniplayfield ..." the same kind of stuff that you get when you open the coin door. The history of the problem shows that the whole row 2 seems to be short in test, and it is not due to the boards.

So, I switch on the game, "test report", "Warning minipf" cannot start a game.

After 1 minute, everything goes back to normal. The minipf makes its self test, the "Free play" message is displayed, I can start a game, and everything goes perfect.

I am wondering what it happening !@?&(!

Does someone have an idea ?

Thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

Look for row 2 switches touching other objects

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Look for row 2 switches touching other objects

Agree. But why is this going back to normal after a while ?

#4 1 year ago

I only get that warning when taking off the glass, not opening the door.
There's a little switch in the upper left corner under the glass.
sure its not shorting out on something?

#5 1 year ago

Thanks, I agree, that s why the problem is complex, it is not due to this switch only. There is a malfunction I do not get, related to all switches of row 2, but after a while, looks like everything goes ok. Really strange

#6 1 year ago

Hi,
I had once strange problems on my Who looking like matrix problems. In the end it was old acid dammage on the cpu board, there was green oxidation onder some IC's that was barely vissible until I wanted to replace IC's.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMario:

Hi,
I had once strange problems on my Who looking like matrix problems. In the end it was old acid dammage on the cpu board, there was green oxidation onder some IC's that was barely vissible until I wanted to replace IC's.

Thanks for the feedback, I ll have a deep look into this. Maybe on the opto board. Actually, this CPU board is new and nothing has changed in the behaviour between the old and the new board.

#8 1 year ago

Disconnect the opto board then turn on and see if it has the same problem. If not you have narrowed it down to the opto board.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiz_pa:

Disconnect the opto board then turn on and see if it has the same problem. If not you have narrowed it down to the opto board.

Thanks for the idea, indeed the problem does no longer show up. But maybe the optoboard connector is the first switch in the daisy chain, in with case I cannot assume anything, as all the others are disabled at the same time. The physical chaining (almost) never corresponds to the switch matrix row.

If the opto board comes in third place in the chain, I would say, as you do, that the opto board is responsible. Maybe someone knows it, so I do not have to isolate the wire all the way from the backbox to the playfield

Thanks

#10 1 year ago

Hi,

The problem was indeed due to the opto board. AS I was not 100% sure of it, I purchased a replacement board and now it is ok. There must be a bad soldering somewhere, but where

thanks you

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

The problem was indeed due to the opto board.

Most likely the 339’s. That’s what mine was. I think I wrote a long explanation about this in the Doctor Who owners club thread?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside