• Latest reply 8 years ago by woodmedic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

doctor-who-switch-matrix.png
#1 8 years ago

As the title states, the stand up target on the mini playfield is not registering hits. I have checked the switch in the test menu and it is not working at all. I removed the switch from the game and cleaned the contacts. I am getting continuity on my DMM when checking the two blades while closing the switch. I also tested the diode to make sure that it only passes current in one direction which it does. I did not note the voltage drop however while doing this. What should the voltage drop be on a diode like this? If the diode is bad, what would be a good diode to replace it with? IE part number. Thanks for looking!!

#2 8 years ago

Let's head to the manual! Particularly, the switch matrix on page 3-3.

doctor-who-switch-matrix.pngdoctor-who-switch-matrix.png

First of all, I don't really know Doctor Who too well, but I'll assume we're talking about switch 78 "Mini-ply Target" or "Mini-ply Lites Lock". (If I'm wrong, my logic will still hold up.)

At that target, there should be one or two white-gray wires on one lug, and one or two green-violet wires on the other lug. The simplest explanation would be that one of these wires have broken off the switch, but I think you've already ruled that out.

An equivalent problem would be if one of these wires (either the white-gray or the green-violet) had broken off on another switch, essentially cutting off switch 78 completely.

The first thing to do is check all the other switches in column 7 and row 8. If some of those switches are out, that will be a good sign that you're on the right track. If not, you're possibly still on the right track.

If you find a row or column that's partially out, you need to inspect the switch wiring at each switch on that row or column. You'll probably find that there's a wire broken off. You'll simply have to solder back to the lug with the same-colored wire. If all other switches are working, physically inspect each wire on the same row and column.

Hopefully you'll find the problem. If not, you'll have completed troubleshooting step one.

#3 8 years ago

check under the mini playing field, the switch's, and solenoids have mutiple plugs (like 3 or 4) one might have came apart

#4 8 years ago

mot is correct, but I would add, that this target has it's own connector. My guess is a bad connector and / or a break in the wire.

Follow the wires to the connector and check for the switch closing at the connector to the target.

Then, short the connector to the CPU to see if the switch close registers in test.

If both of those work, you have a bad connector.

If either fails, check continuity on the wires... you have a break.
faz

#5 8 years ago

This target is the only switch that is not functioning. Everything else is functioning properly. I checked for continuity at the connector and it does have it. I will check the other switches and wires as Mot has pointed out in the matrix. I was not sure how to read the matrix but I think I understand now. (Thanks Mot!) Thanks for the help so far and I will update this evening on what I find.

#6 8 years ago

You could have a larger matrix failure. Check ALL the switches in test. Especially the optos in the MPF.
All the switches in column seven and row eight are suspect.

faz

#7 8 years ago

I have been doing some testing this evening and I think I at least figured out what the problem is. First of all the matrix is wrong. Connector J208 is not populated at all on the CPU board. This connector resides at J209. I checked continuity again on the mini playfield harness for the two pins going to the switch in question. It seems that the wiring on the mini PF itself is fine. I then checked continuity from J206-7 to the Green/Violet side of the switch and have good continuity. However, the White/Gray wire that goes from the mini PF switch 78 to J209-9 appears to be open. I don't know if this is the only switch on this wire as I am quite new to pinball machine repair. If so could I just run a new wire along the old harness and replace the bad one? I have followed the original harness the best I can and I can't follow that wire from end to end. Any advise is more than welcome!

#8 8 years ago

Sorry for the repeated posts but I just found the problem! One of the 2 White/Gray wires was broken off of the out hole connector. It was only separated by maybe 1 mm making it very hard to tell that it was broken. Thanks for all of the help!! I am also very glad I am starting to understand the matrix thing now!

#9 8 years ago

Great news!!! Blast some Daleks!!
faz

#10 8 years ago

Please never sell your DW Faz - you are our forum Timelord!

Glad you worked it out woodmedic, it's too good a game to be out of action. Hope Nate finds one soon.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Please never sell your DW Faz - you are our forum Timelord!

mot and many others know FAR more about the electronics than I do. I just mapped out about 1 cu ft of a single pinball machine. So much to learn.

faz

#12 8 years ago

Damn! I was going to suggest looking at the outhole switch in particular! That switch is quite exposed when lifting the playfield, so I've had problems with it before.

#13 8 years ago

Yes it is Mot! I probably need to make sure and use the bow tie only to lift the playfield! Thanks again for the help everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

£ 110.00
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-stand-up-target-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.