Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dw.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Is this one of the craziest rules in a pin? I played a few games and realize I had no idea what was going on.

I then read the rulesheet for the second time...

Played a few more games....read the rule sheet again...repeat...repeat.

I have a fairly decent pin collection and this game is by far...the more strategic pin I have.

I mean sure... stacking multiballs...timely jackpots shots and playfield X are there in most games. It seems Dr.who take it to a completely different level

Figuring out which Dr. to go with next really has an impact on scoring. 'Stacking' the Drs in the correct order seems to be of vital importance

I'm curious to see what others think about the game that have it in their collection...with enough time on it to figure it out.

I think this game is absolutely incredible (minus the art and a couple annoying call outs)...or am I just in 'New Pin Lust?'

#2 12 years ago

I've had DW for almost a year and I'm not sick of it yet. I love the challenge of trying to keep the pf multiplier up there and then scoring jackpots and video modes. Unlike you I like the callouts though. Having watched the show growing up, I'm a big fan of screaming Daleks. I always start with Doctor #6 and then switch to #7 whenever I get both balls locked. I try to get #1 and #3 fairly quickly too. The others I could care less about.

My collection also contains TZ and AFM... DW blows the hell out of both of them.

#3 12 years ago

I'll probably get used to the calls outs...some are just a bit obnoxious. I've never seen the show thus the theme was a bit of a turn off...which probably explains why the call outs annoy me a bit. When I picked the game up I had never played it

I'm telling ya I did a drive by in the basement on the way to get a tool (stupid home improvement projects). Hit the start button for a 'quick' game. 45 minutes later I was still whacking the start button.

I'm not sure I've ever done that to any of my 'new' pins

#4 12 years ago

I've argued this game with many people. It is amazing. You have to constantly keep the multiplier flying, hit who shots, video mode is not annoying as with most games, and is about as deep as it could be in a pinball game. Not to mention is has the greatest pinball toy ever in the 3 level rising time expander. The sounds cranked, and the new dalek topper adds to a super exciting experience. This and TAF are the two most played by anyone coming over.

It's not like any other game, and contrasts so nicely with mode based machines. There isn't a WPC95 that I would value half as good as DW. The value of this machine is laughable.

As for doctors, I'm the same order as well, 6/1/3. I don't use 7 though, as I find mashing the main grid too easy to waste a doctor "option on".

#5 12 years ago

The dalek call outs haunt my dreams. I don't know if i could get used to them. I love the game though.

#6 12 years ago

In all honesty..had I seen this game in the arcade in years past. I would have probably walked past it (cuz of the theme..I still don't know what 'Dr. Who' is\was) or played a game and got annoyed (cuz of the call outs). I certainly wouldn't have been able to figure out the rules or have the means (say 1995ish) to look them up.

However the toy might have sucked a couple more quarters out of me...certainly not enough to scratch the surface on the rulesheet

I'm not sure I've been impress more with a 'new' pin (new to me..I never played it before) than this one. That includes a collection of AFM, MB, FG, ToM, WH2O, FH and 10 or so others.

Any others hiding out there I should know about =)

Quoted from Atomicboy:

I've argued this game with many people. It is amazing. You have to constantly keep the multiplier flying, hit who shots, video mode is not annoying as with most games, and is about as deep as it could be in a pinball game. Not to mention is has the greatest pinball toy ever in the 3 level rising time expander. The sounds cranked, and the new dalek topper adds to a super exciting experience. This and TAF are the two most played by anyone coming over.
It's not like any other game, and contrasts so nicely with mode based machines. There isn't a WPC95 that I would value half as good as DW. The value of this machine is laughable.
As for doctors, I'm the same order as well, 6/1/3. I don't use 7 though, as I find mashing the main grid too easy to waste a doctor "option on".

#7 12 years ago

I agree completely with most above. I got a Dr. Who in a package deal with 2 other pins that I wanted, it was essentially a last second throw in that I took for a good price in the package. Never had played it before. The other 2 pins I bought are gone now and the Dr. still remains, I am not sure I would ever get rid of it anytime soon, still one of my favorites to play.

#8 12 years ago

DW is one of those games that you can incorporate your own strategy and it's probably just as good as someone else's. It's best to always start with the 6th Doctor for the bonus multiplier. You're always going to want to keep this maxed out at 4x so work your loops from the get-go. I like to go for video mode extra ball and W-H-O ramp extra ball for insurance next. My second Doctor is usually 1, but I understand why people go for 2 to increase the hang on score since you're continually doing loops. Once I have my extra balls I work on the Time Expander. Doctor 7 is only worthwhile when you've locked your second ball. Doctors 3,4,5 are all kind of arbitrary, though if I have a choice I like to use the transmute one to get my 7 Doctor bonus quicker.

It's a fun, tough game with about 1,000 combinations to play it.

#9 12 years ago

DW is also one of my favorites that I think will be kept for a LONG time. I watched enough of the shows to understand it and I love the call outs.

The modded topper is a must. Frickin accountants stuck again on this one and removed it right before manufacturing.

I actually go 1, 6, 2, 3 and leave 7 because I rarely want multiball to start untill the Dr is set up just right.

My machine is mint except for the Lenc Smith planking.

#10 12 years ago

I totally agree with everyone here on this. I've got quite a few great pins to choose from at a local arcade and I always gravitate to this one. The theme is a favorite of mine and it's just a great bonus to me that it's implemented so well and is just plain fun and a challenge even if the theme doesn't do it for you.

#11 12 years ago

Took a break from pounding in hardwoods to come back to this thread...

So question on the Drs. If I start with say 6...that Drs Special rule is active throughout the entire game? I notice that if I have a quick ball drain...I still won't have a 'solid' Dr. but it'll be flashing for a choice

Also..other than the start ball Dr choice..how else can you increment Drs?

Can ya tell I've only got about 25 games on it...probably less?

#12 12 years ago

You get more doctors with the pop bumpers and transmat, or you can collect them with video modes. That is why I like to start with dr 1.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Any others hiding out there I should know about =)

Yes, LAH - deepest game of the 90s, bar none. These two are the two most undervalued machines out there.

Buying into the cookie cutter “A” list lineup as the thing to achieve in pinball leaves a lot of these better games overlooked.

#14 12 years ago

So after understanding the rules a bit more I played a couple games last night...

My high score went from 650M to 1.7B..and had a another 1.5B game.

Neither of the good games were marathons either. I bet I played 10 games in well less than a half hour.

On a slightly stranger note my DW has the shorter 'Fish Tales" flipper bats with the little lightning bolts on them..not sure what that's all about.

Damn this game has really suckers me in! Only 300M away from the previous owners GC

#15 12 years ago

DW came with the lightning flippers. Keep them. It's more of a challenge and you know your scores will be "legit" with factory hardware

#16 12 years ago

Those are the stock flipper bats. FT, BSD and DW all have them.

#17 12 years ago

I just picked up DW about a month ago also and find it very addicting. It is one of those games that will have me playing 10 games when I only turned it on to play a couple quick ones. MB, you must have figured out the Dr's if you are scoring in the 1.5 billion range, as I am stuck right at 1 billion. If still unanswered though, the doctor will continue to flash at the beginning of each ball if he has not been captured/locked via completing a video mode or transmatting. I also always start with doctor 6, then change based on what is going on (I do use doctor seven when the time expander raises). I too plan on keeping this one for a long time which is very unusual for me (I have had AFM, TZ, CFTBL, BSD, and FH... all of which are gone now). Well, I'm off to play a quick game of DW

#18 12 years ago

I certainly haven't figured it out yet but...I was always starting with 6...then 1..then 3...then whatever.

In both billion games I was getting killer repair target points (8+million). I noticed it both times an loaded up the multi-ball and started bashing them

Quoted from ssgkarny1:

I just picked up DW about a month ago also and find it very addicting. It is one of those games that will have me playing 10 games when I only turned it on to play a couple quick ones. MB, you must have figured out the Dr's if you are scoring in the 1.5 billion range, as I am stuck right at 1 billion. If still unanswered though, the doctor will continue to flash at the beginning of each ball if he has not been captured/locked via completing a video mode or transmatting. I also always start with doctor 6, then change based on what is going on (I do use doctor seven when the time expander raises). I too plan on keeping this one for a long time which is very unusual for me (I have had AFM, TZ, CFTBL, BSD, and FH... all of which are gone now). Well, I'm off to play a quick game of DW

#19 12 years ago

It's an absolutely brutal game, one of the hardest out there with the factory lightning flippers and no rubber on the outlanes. I just played it again last night at PPM for their fix-it night. I was trying to execute the ramp strategy and failing miserably.

I ended up setting the outlanes on the easiest setting. Most players don't play it cause it's just too hard.

#20 12 years ago

That's impressive and a little embarrassing to me that you've beaten my high score after owning it only two days. I'll be the first to admit that I suck at pinball though. I got my high score by getting 59 loops. I never even hit a jackpot during that game. It's weird how sometimes I can't miss the upper loop shot and others I can't hit it to save my life. A few beers usually helps my aim.

My outlanes are on the middle setting.

Edit: Speaking of rubber bumpers on outlane dividers, someone actually installed bumper posts on mine. I got suspicious when I found out the ball wouldn't even go down the left outlane. After researching some photos online, I realized they weren't supposed to be there. Imagine how awesome my GC score would be if I had left them there!

dw.jpgdw.jpg

4 months later
#21 11 years ago

I got Doctor Who just as a 2nd game with Theatre of Magic being my primary pinball machine. But now TOM sits because I can't stop playing Who! The only reason this game did't get more popular is that most people really don't know what Doctor Who is, or if they do, many don't like it. But these days the show is really becoming popular and I hope the pinballs appreciate in value as well.

"Dalek in the Corner Pocket."

#22 11 years ago

Doctor Who was my first pin, mostly because I've been a fan of the show all my life. Fun, challenging game that is almost a complete opposite of my LOTR -- definitely no super long games on Doctor Who like I occasionally get on LOTR.

1 year later
#23 10 years ago

Doctor Who was my first, and probably still my favorite. I agree with the above. I split between starting 6 or 1, but usually 6 first, lock a ball, switch to 1, keep multiplier up, start using video modes to win new docs. If you're on 1, your awarded 7 then 6 next which is good. Then 3 is my next choice when a choice is given.
My top score is just shy of 2B. Though I admit you pretty much have to turn the machine on its side to tilt.
I've only beaten Davros probably 5-6 times. Very hard, especially if you still have all 3 balls going. For me, it's easier if you're already down to 2 balls, since losing one downgrades to daleks.
It seems a majority of the time is spent building up to around 500k, then scoring rate increases dramatically.
Some day I'll bite the bullet and buy the moving topper (the one that interfaces with the factory utility).
My only complaint...and I'm a huge doctor who fan, is the horrible, horrible art.
I'd like to see a new Doctor Who pin with the new series' doctors....with good art.

#24 10 years ago

Same,start with 1 score a couple of doctors then go for multi-ball.Once time expander has reached factor zero and mini playfield rises wind the playfield multiplier out to 4x scores then start multi-ball.You are now shooting at 200mill now instead of 50mill.

#25 10 years ago

This is an old thread, but I think it was a good one to pull up (so this was a good necromance 1thomas). Moving to the playing tips sub forum.

I start with the First Doctor and try and load up the escape for video mode and the transmat. I will score a lock or both locks (as needed) to keep second chance alive. I hope to get the Seventh Doctor via a video mode or transmat hit before I pull up the time expander (I switch to him when it is pulled up if I don't get him).

After one run through the time exapander (maybe getting lucky and killing Davros on the first run, but usually not) I start running through the video modes and adding the docs to the team. After that the strategy changes depending on where I am on the game (sometimes I will focus on Davros, sometimes keep pounding through the video mode, and sometimes go for WHO loops). WHO loops is the most challenging for me but if you get them down that is the best to shock people with your scores . . .

#26 10 years ago

I think it greatly has to do with how the machine is set up. My DW is 6.5 degrees exactly. I have all my flipper skills tuned to controlling the ball towards blasting the ESCAPE targets....so, I go for #1 first, then just back through the rest (7-2).

However, at the 1UP in Denver the game is set very steep. Not quite Banzai Run but DAMN it's fast! I just can't get control the ball out of the launcher. No way to slow it down. For this game I start with #6, go for the loops then lock a ball, change to #7 and work the mini-playfield. Occasionally I'm able to get a ball back into the loop to bump the multiplier again.

faz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-rules and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.