Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

optocover (resized).jpg
312AEBD5-5AC2-4766-A672-41E07EFFDE01 (resized).jpeg
30D4F78D-F4D5-4875-B8AD-FE09CA99CBBF (resized).jpeg
Photo Aug 23, 9 48 29 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Aug 23, 9 42 53 PM (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Should be connected that way. But by a trace. Not a jumper wire. I think one leg of every reciever shares a trace.

That’s correct, all transmitters and receivers on each board share a ground wire, the other traces are individual to each diode

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Try electrical tape on the ends to prevent any external light exposure, blacking out the area and cleaning the optos usually fixes a lot of problems.

Or make a new shroud from the template

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Even with the shroud, you will still need some sort of tape to seal the edges.

Not sure why? The original design still works perfectly fine

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Mine didn't until I taped the edges, and neither did the one I am rebuilding for a friend.

No kidding? That is unusual - neither of the DW I’ve owned required that. I wonder if the optos had been replaced with more sensitive ones?

1 week later
#14 5 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

Holy crap...I’m about to throw this onto assembly off a cliff. Thank you all for the replies. Here’s where’s I’m at:
I replaced all of the original optos and confirmed those were working. All we’re registering except the 5th - it was really flakey. I confirmed it was due to the wire jumper because the solder pad was gone. If I held pressure on the solder joint with my finger, it was fine but as soon as I relieved pressure, it was flakey again.
My solution was to order replacement boards from Marco. I installed both yesterday and now only two optos register in edge test mode - 1 and 2. I can get them all to register if I place the boards literally touching optos to receivers but as soon as I put them in the bracket holder, only the first two register consistently. Not to mention the new receivers are taller than the old ones and are interfering with the mushroom buttons.
I’m kind of at a loss for where to go from here. I guess I’m trying to see if anyone else has had issues with the Marco boards. I should have just gone Great Lakes modular. Any other recommendations for an easy fix?

Sorry to say, but just order the ones from GLM. You will never want to disassemble the mini-PF again. It’s worth the $$

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

I made sure it wasn’t that. The receivers on the Marco boards are definitely taller. By the way, the bottom of my opto bracket appears to be bent or tapered. Can anyone confirm this is normal?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The way that bracket is bent is usually a result of someone installing washers to offset the taller optos

Just get a Dremel and grind the black optos down a bit. They will still work fine and you’ll have the clearance you need. Avoid the washers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 40.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

£ 110.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-opto-question?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.