Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

optocover (resized).jpg
312AEBD5-5AC2-4766-A672-41E07EFFDE01 (resized).jpeg
30D4F78D-F4D5-4875-B8AD-FE09CA99CBBF (resized).jpeg
Photo Aug 23, 9 48 29 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Aug 23, 9 42 53 PM (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hey all - I'm working on the Doctor Who Time Expander and my optos have been acting up - particularly the ones on the left and right. After opening it up, I found this wire soldered between two opto receivers. I assume it didn't come from the factory like this but can anyone confirm for me? It's also hard for me to tell which optos are actually lighting even with my cell phone. Should I just go ahead and replace all of them? Probably should page pinball_faz on this one. Thanks in advance!

Photo Aug 23, 9 42 53 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Aug 23, 9 42 53 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Aug 23, 9 48 29 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Aug 23, 9 48 29 PM (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

You should be able to visually inspect the traces and figure out if those two are supposed to be connected. My guess is that they are.

Dr. Who is such a pain to get apart to get those that I recommend replacing them all while you are in there. If it continues to fail you might want to check the wiring. They can get internal breaks and work in some positions but not others.

#3 5 years ago

Should be connected that way. But by a trace. Not a jumper wire. I think one leg of every reciever shares a trace.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Should be connected that way. But by a trace. Not a jumper wire. I think one leg of every reciever shares a trace.

That’s correct, all transmitters and receivers on each board share a ground wire, the other traces are individual to each diode

#5 5 years ago

Try electrical tape on the ends to prevent any external light exposure, blacking out the area and cleaning the optos usually fixes a lot of problems.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Try electrical tape on the ends to prevent any external light exposure, blacking out the area and cleaning the optos usually fixes a lot of problems.

Or make a new shroud from the template

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Or make a new shroud from the template

Even with the shroud, you will still need some sort of tape to seal the edges.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Even with the shroud, you will still need some sort of tape to seal the edges.

Not sure why? The original design still works perfectly fine

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not sure why? The original design still works perfectly fine

Mine didn't until I taped the edges, and neither did the one I am rebuilding for a friend.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Mine didn't until I taped the edges, and neither did the one I am rebuilding for a friend.

No kidding? That is unusual - neither of the DW I’ve owned required that. I wonder if the optos had been replaced with more sensitive ones?

#11 5 years ago

I have owned 2 DR Who's and I had to re-solder all the Opto's legs to fix them. All the banging they get from the balls whacking them causes them to come loose from the solder that holds them in. Also when I have had to replace opto's on any pin 99% of the time it was the transmitters that were defective.

#12 5 years ago

I usually order the new bds from great lakes modular . Saves lots of headaches

1 week later
#13 5 years ago

Holy crap...I’m about to throw this onto assembly off a cliff. Thank you all for the replies. Here’s where’s I’m at:

I replaced all of the original optos and confirmed those were working. All we’re registering except the 5th - it was really flakey. I confirmed it was due to the wire jumper because the solder pad was gone. If I held pressure on the solder joint with my finger, it was fine but as soon as I relieved pressure, it was flakey again.

My solution was to order replacement boards from Marco. I installed both yesterday and now only two optos register in edge test mode - 1 and 2. I can get them all to register if I place the boards literally touching optos to receivers but as soon as I put them in the bracket holder, only the first two register consistently. Not to mention the new receivers are taller than the old ones and are interfering with the mushroom buttons.

I’m kind of at a loss for where to go from here. I guess I’m trying to see if anyone else has had issues with the Marco boards. I should have just gone Great Lakes modular. Any other recommendations for an easy fix?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

Holy crap...I’m about to throw this onto assembly off a cliff. Thank you all for the replies. Here’s where’s I’m at:
I replaced all of the original optos and confirmed those were working. All we’re registering except the 5th - it was really flakey. I confirmed it was due to the wire jumper because the solder pad was gone. If I held pressure on the solder joint with my finger, it was fine but as soon as I relieved pressure, it was flakey again.
My solution was to order replacement boards from Marco. I installed both yesterday and now only two optos register in edge test mode - 1 and 2. I can get them all to register if I place the boards literally touching optos to receivers but as soon as I put them in the bracket holder, only the first two register consistently. Not to mention the new receivers are taller than the old ones and are interfering with the mushroom buttons.
I’m kind of at a loss for where to go from here. I guess I’m trying to see if anyone else has had issues with the Marco boards. I should have just gone Great Lakes modular. Any other recommendations for an easy fix?

Sorry to say, but just order the ones from GLM. You will never want to disassemble the mini-PF again. It’s worth the $$

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

If the receivers are interfering try reversing the 2 boards. Its possible they are flip flopped.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

If the receivers are interfering try reversing the 2 boards. Its possible they are flip flopped.

I made sure it wasn’t that. The receivers on the Marco boards are definitely taller. By the way, the bottom of my opto bracket appears to be bent or tapered. Can anyone confirm this is normal?

30D4F78D-F4D5-4875-B8AD-FE09CA99CBBF (resized).jpeg30D4F78D-F4D5-4875-B8AD-FE09CA99CBBF (resized).jpeg312AEBD5-5AC2-4766-A672-41E07EFFDE01 (resized).jpeg312AEBD5-5AC2-4766-A672-41E07EFFDE01 (resized).jpeg
#17 5 years ago

I contacted Great Plains Electronics last week to order the opto boards but I haven’t heard back. Anyone else been in touch?

#18 5 years ago

That is not normal

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

I made sure it wasn’t that. The receivers on the Marco boards are definitely taller. By the way, the bottom of my opto bracket appears to be bent or tapered. Can anyone confirm this is normal?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The way that bracket is bent is usually a result of someone installing washers to offset the taller optos

Just get a Dremel and grind the black optos down a bit. They will still work fine and you’ll have the clearance you need. Avoid the washers!

1 week later
#20 5 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

Not to mention the new receivers are taller than the old ones and are interfering with the mushroom buttons.

This device will square your bracket giving the buttons enough clearance to operate smoothly. Plus, it will eliminate light bleed. If you don't own a 3D printer, you can order a print through the site. That's what I did. Treatstock was printer I selected. Great quality and it cost me less than $10, including delivery.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2387162

By the way, I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I ordered replacement optos from Marco (Gulf Pinball is the manufacturer). The output from the transmitters is so weak that I only get a response when they are literally touching the receivers. I'm still trying to work out if the issue is with the board or my terrible soldering skills. Have you been able to make any progress on your setup?

optocover (resized).jpgoptocover (resized).jpg
#21 5 years ago

The smallest amount of light getting in will cause problems for optos. I agree totally with dsuperbee and speak from experience regarding ensuring you tape the edges of the shroud.

1 month later
#22 5 years ago
Quoted from beeker3000:

This device will square your bracket giving the buttons enough clearance to operate smoothly. Plus, it will eliminate light bleed. If you don't own a 3D printer, you can order a print through the site. That's what I did. Treatstock was printer I selected. Great quality and it cost me less than $10, including delivery.
By the way, I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I ordered replacement optos from Marco (Gulf Pinball is the manufacturer). The output from the transmitters is so weak that I only get a response when they are literally touching the receivers. I'm still trying to work out if the issue is with the board or my terrible soldering skills. Have you been able to make any progress on your setup?

I’m happy to report that I received my original opto transmitter board back from Chris Hibler and popped it in yesterday. MPF is back in and all 5 optos are registering 100%!

However, now that the game is back together, my Enter T.Ramp Opto #33 is no longer working. It came up in Test Report and sure enough, won’t rehister in edge test. It’s definitely plugged in and I resoldered the joints on the 10 opto board under the playfield. Is the next step replacing the Tx?

2 months later
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from beeker3000:

[quoted image]

I tried the opto kit too and found they did not work. Figured there was some compatibility issue. The real reason for the opto issues are due to the plastic holder being warped. This looks like it remedies the issue. Wondering if it was E-Z to remove the gray buttons from the old plastic to the new? Also anyone know where to find or print new gray plastic buttons?

#25 5 years ago

Had the device 3D printed by my neighbor. He just copied the file and printed it. The part slides into the original bracket--E-Z. The only issue I have is with the part installed, now the opto boards pick up more space which causes the large metal housing that sits below the opto targets to not screw in perfectly. The 4 screws are not snug, but still hold the large metal housing in place. This is the metal housing that moves up after you hit the targets. Opto issues---Fixed.

1 week later
#26 5 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Wondering if it was E-Z to remove the gray buttons from the old plastic to the new?

Just some e-clips holding them in place. You can remove them with needle-nose pliers. The biggest concern is ensuring you don't lose them. They're small and can fly pretty far!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from beeker3000:

I ordered replacement optos from Marco (Gulf Pinball is the manufacturer). The output from the transmitters is so weak that I only get a response when they are literally touching the receivers. I'm still trying to work out if the issue is with the board or my terrible soldering skills. Have you been able to make any progress on your setup?

My optos are working now, as well. I got in contact with Gulf Pinball and he sent me a new set that work perfectly. He said he got a batch of dud LEDs. So, for anyone else having problems with their Gulf Pinball optos, PM me for his contact info.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Boards
Slap Save Creations

£ 110.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-opto-question?hl=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.