(Topic ID: 84703)

Dr Who No Inserts Lights (still struggling)

By demetris74

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by demetris74
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PDB c6-c7.jpg
208940-i.jpg
wpc89-18Volt-2.jpg
wpc89-18Volt.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider demetris74.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Guys

I am struggling long time now with this problem, Inserts Lights are completely out and still trying to figure out the problem

below are my checks.

- All voltages and voltage lights are ok on the Driver board,
- all capacitor trace connections ok, also the 18V C6
- All bridge rectifiers traces ok
- All cables confirmed connection is ok
- Ribbon cable from CPU to Driver board checked ok.

Is there any other thing i will need to check inserts lights to be completely out?

Can this be a U18 IC fault?

or is something controlled from the CPU board?

Machine works absolutely fine with no any other issues except this

#4 10 years ago

guys will check voltages at the male pins and lamp sockets and revert

#5 10 years ago

Just measure the pins of J137 plug and i get no readings , is there any case that the Lamp Matrix F114 Fuse solder connection underneath is bad? if that was the case then the Led6 would be off not on?

#7 10 years ago

i dmm the fuse continuity from top with the fuse in but i guess that will show ok i will need to DMM the fuse socket continuity from the back correct?

Or you mean i need to measure if has voltage on the fuse correct?

#12 10 years ago

Guys

found out the problem:

my bad... double checked the 18v test point and i dont get any reading Led is on thought, removed the board and checked continuity of C6 capacitor at all connections and everything is ok, fuse voltage is ok as tested before, the capacitor is new and the polarity is ok.

also capacitor tested and ok. Is there any other reason not to get 18v at the test point?

#14 10 years ago

BR1 tested and ok also all traces ok.

18v led is on, continuity from C6 to TP8 ok. No 18v reading thought.

This is driving me nuts

#16 10 years ago

I Dont have 18v its 0 at TP8, I have done all continuity tests underneath the board to all caps and BR's and they all have connections and they are all new.The C6 cap has one top and one under board trace which are both fine. , I have also tested resistance of the New C6 cap and is ok.

I mean is crazy, everything i tested is OK and still no 18V , i have recently replaced all caps, the old C6 was giving very low power round 9V and the lamps where working but very weak., I am just concentrating at C6 BR1 sections for the 18V as everything else works fine. All tested ok with out any broken traces whatsoever, machine works nice.

It might be something stupidly simple or something really bad, who knows, but i cant sleep with it, I will kill my self if i dont find it, LOL

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

If 12V regulated is present on TP3, then F114 and BR1 are OK.
You are missing the through hole connection marked with red dot on C7, going from back to the front side of the PCB.
Also make sure BR1 and C6 have proper connections on both sides of the PCB, but C7 (+) is causing the problem.

wpc89-18Volt.jpg 16 KB

This photo is very helpful as i dont remember DMM from BR1 + to C7 + , as i was concentrated at C6 connections, will remove tomorrow and revert.
This diagram is great showing the connections, do you have this for the hole driver bard?

#27 10 years ago

Thanks zaza will keep an update as i am sure this topic can be useful for others

#28 10 years ago

Update:

Checked traces as per zaza illustration, everything ok, I can now only assume a faulty C7, or C6 Capacitor, even thought are new. will keep you updated

Again thats strange because the 18V LED is on but no voltage at TP8

thanks to all will keep you updated

#32 10 years ago

Zaza

Yesterday i have removed both C7 and C6 capacitors i am missing the C6 + under board Through-hole. But when capacitor is on i have continuity from from C6 + to TP8. It seems that the C6 + had connection at the top trace to TP8 when DMM.

Because i guess if the capacitor has contact at the top board trace then it doesn't matter if the thought-hole under board is out?

Is there an under board trace from C6+ to somewhere else except to C7 + <-- C6 + --> TP8? as i dont see any trace path from Under board?208940-i.jpg208940-i.jpg

#35 10 years ago

Hi Zaza

Really nice illustration , sorry will ask another question and i hope i you dont get Mad lol

Since i have Continuity from C7+ to C6+ with and with out capacitors even if the C6+ under board through hole is missing, why i should still install a blank copper line? Does something more than it should since i have a continuity? PLEASE DONT GET MAD hahahah

1 week later
#37 9 years ago

Guys

Found the problem, Sometimes if you are mad helps, accidentally smash the coin door and walla. Inserts work WHAAAAT DA FAK

when i slap the coin door the inserts are back on, after all this hassle!! this might be my solution

What can be wrong? I slam it again and they are off again WTF thats not a solution!! take a look my funny video

#39 9 years ago

Faz

Broken wire on the inserts? are the wires chained?

#42 9 years ago

Checked the coin door lights and other cables of any short but all ok, after that bang shown on video inserts work,

I think i will call it a day and stop this investigation. i was sure that the capacitors where ok from the first place with no broken traces.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider demetris74.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-no-inserts-lights-still-struggling?tu=demetris74 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.