(Topic ID: 264373)

Dr. Who - New Owner, a few qs (upper flipper, reimport, time expander)

By Bospins

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Xantari
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi friends. I have a new-to-me Doctor Who as of last Sunday. It's a reimport pin (routed in Germany I think) that’s solid and all there but needs a little TLC. A few questions:

1) This is my first time buying a reimport. Anything to watch out for? Everything seems to work fine but the xfmr seems noisy and gets a little warmer than on my domestic market machines.

2) My mini play field (Time Expander) is completely non-op. I knew that going in. Turns out my motor controller board is hacked and fried, too far gone to repair, so I’m going to replace. My plan is to rebuild the Time Expander with new opto boards and carrier but I would like to check its operation first to see if I need to replace the motor and gearbox...is it pretty safe to do that with my replacement board or am I risking frying it?

3) My upper flipper is non-op, even in test mode. Upper flipper “Trigger” button registers in switch test. My plan is to replace all the fuses with new just to make sure that’s sorted...got to be that or something basic like a bad (open or shorted) coil, right? This is my first pin with opto flippers.

4) Any other tips tricks or quick hit things to do for this deck?

Thanks!!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Hi friends. I have a new-to-me Doctor Who as of last Sunday. It's a reimport pin (routed in Germany I think) that’s solid and all there but needs a little TLC. A few questions:
1) This is my first time buying a reimport. Anything to watch out for? Everything seems to work fine but the xfmr seems noisy and gets a little warmer than on my domestic market machines.
2) My mini play field (Time Expander) is completely non-op. I knew that going in. Turns out my motor controller board is hacked and fried, too far gone to repair, so I’m going to replace. My plan is to rebuild the Time Expander with new opto boards and carrier but I would like to check its operation first to see if I need to replace the motor and gearbox...is it pretty safe to do that with my replacement board or am I risking frying it?
3) My upper flipper is non-op, even in test mode. Upper flipper “Trigger” button registers in switch test. My plan is to replace all the fuses with new just to make sure that’s sorted...got to be that or something basic like a bad (open or shorted) coil, right? This is my first pin with opto flippers.
4) Any other tips tricks or quick hit things to do for this deck?
Thanks!!

Replace the motor and gearbox.

Check the upper flipper coils resistance. Look for broken wires. My re-import had mechanical switch stacks for flipper cabinet buttons instead of opto boards. If you have old opto boards, one could be bad or the blade is not clearing the opto sensor enough.

#3 4 years ago

Somewhere on pinside is a post from someone who was making improved parts for the time expander. Might be worth checking out. On my phone or I would find it for you

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Somewhere on pinside is a post from someone who was making improved parts for the time expander. Might be worth checking out. On my phone or I would find it for you

Thanks - I found that one I think, swinks for the opto carrier and Pindorabox for the opto boards. Not sure if there’s other stuff I should be looking at.

#5 4 years ago

i'm going to try the cheap foam board solution for the opto carrier before spending $50 on a new optocarrier... hoping it works ok

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

i'm going to try the cheap foam board solution for the opto carrier before spending $50 on a new optocarrier... hoping it works ok

Epic Fail. Spend the money.

#8 4 years ago

pinball_ric that thing looks awesome. I hope the designer still has some for sale! Thanks.

#9 4 years ago

eyeamred2u ok fine, I'll get one

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

eyeamred2u ok fine, I'll get one

Yes we have all tried it, and everthing under the sun...

The swinks carrier is absolutely what you want.

the cost is nothing compared to the hundred hours trying to sort it out.

#11 4 years ago

[Deleted] Posted to wrong thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 40.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-new-owner-a-few-qs-upper-flipper-reimport-time-expander?hl=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.