Motor Gear Box2 (resized).jpeg
20220406_171413 (resized).jpg
20220406_171425 (resized).jpg
20220406_171419 (resized).jpg
dw_switch_matrix.jpg
Screenshot_20220406-161658_Adobe Acrobat (resized).jpg
Switch_matrix (resized).jpg
20220406_151431 (resized).jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from dipasqut:

Thank you all for taking you time to try to help!
At this point the PROBLEM IS FIX!!!!
Thats right.. Thanks to pinballinreno, I put 4 (2 per screw) small washers under each side to raise the OPTO up and it worked like a charm. Test 14 now competes all tests w/o issue. Also, the boot up error report only shows the one Mushroom OPTO as an issue again.
Quick test of game play and multi-ball and the MPF is functioning flawlessly!!
Thank you again to everyone that contributed. It was a great experience I hope soon not to repeat.
Side note: pinballinreno - I am still having issues finding your original post. That link takes me to the Doctor Who Owners Club, but I don't see anything about the MPF and adding washers to the OPTO. I did a search for posts by you and for anything that mentioner "washer" and didn't find it. Maybe I am just doing something wrong, but would love to see which post your talking about to see if I reviewed it in my original searches and if/why i didn't think that was the answer. The only post i did see was one where you mentioner using washer(s) to tilt the MPF.
Thanks again! you guys have been AWESOME!

People usually just search the club thread for my posts.

Is sounds like someone in the past had replaced the MPF frame.

This causes the cam optos to be about 3/32" low.

Please read the club thread about the 5 opto board problems.

Im hoping that DumbAss will make up some good, working boards to have here in the USA.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Awesome news. I did say, where is @pinballreno and boom, he had the fix. I sadly could not help because I used a modern linear fix for the MPF.
Use that Dr. Who thread, it is a lifesaver. When you tackle those mushroom targets, all of us will be watching.

Unless you are doing a full ground up restoration or working on a pristine game, the linear problem solving system (though good) is very tedious.

Hacked and rebuilt parts from the variety of vendors, plus weird route fixes and patches leads to troubleshooting nightmares.

Way too many variables to add to the equation.

Things are more dificult than they otherwise would be.

This is where experience and pinside shine!

DumbAss had it right as a mechanical problem if everything electronically tested out.

Pinside is an awesome reference for unhacking games.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Unless you are doing a full ground up restoration or working on a pristine game, the linear problem solving system is very tedious.
Hacked and rebuilt parts from the variety of vendors, plus weird route fixes and patches leads to troubleshooting nightmares.
Way too many variables to add to the equation.
Things are more dificult than they otherwise would be.
Pinside is an awesome reference for unhacking games.

Case in point:

I spent a week solving a thing flips opto on my TAF.

Everything worked yet nothing worked.

It ended up that the prior repair person had accidently soldered the Rx opto wires in reverse.

This causes the opto to work, but be very weak.

The opto pair would only register if they were physically touching.
They would fail if they were 1/8" apart.

Once the wires were correctly installed, it worked perfectly.

I found the solution on pinside!

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Case in point:
I spent a week solving a thing flips opto on my TAF.
Everything worked yet nothing worked.
It ended up that the prior repair person had accidently soldered the Rx opto wires in reverse.
This causes the opto to work, but be very weak.
The opto pair would only register if they were physically touching.
They would fail if they were 1/8" apart.
Once the wires were correctly installed, it worked perfectly.
I found the solution on pinside!

So you are saying that there is a right way and a wrong way to wire an Opto (esp. the RX reciever side).

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

So you are saying that there is a right way and a wrong way to wire an Opto (esp. the RX reciever side).

Theres only 2 wires, but theres and emitter and a receiver (collector) inside the plastic lens of the opto LED (C and E on the board).

There is a big side and a smaller side if you look into them under a light. So, yes they can be wired backwards and still work very weakly.

Properly wired the opto works powerfully and perfect.

If the wires are reversed the opto will be weak and only receive if the transmitter is literally touching lens to lens.

This was discussed in another thread with exactly the same problems I had. Homepin suggested turning the opto 180 degrees, but its much simpler to just reverse the wires.

The guy that had the problem was dealing with it for 18 months until a solution was found:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-optos-works-when-close-but-not-from-far#post-6866079

Homepin thead on optos:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-determine-the-c-e-of-black-opto-receiver-leds#post-3538582

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Yes, you can be 180 off if you wire backwards, that is why I posted my repair log with voltage measureaments at various points. @pinballreno confirms mechanically being off just a little will create this CW/CCW problem once the electrical portion is verified.

This was a great team effort and glad for all the input and how we can always refer to each other for assistance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-mini-playfield-issue-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.