By demetris74

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Guys

Trying to locate from manual where the glass switch is on which connector on WPC. Cant seem to find or keep missing it on the manual.

Is the first time I switch on Dr who after the restoration procedure and I get the on screen warning and the playfield doesn't move so I need to start from there

rgrds

#2 10 years ago

OK, let's back up here.

That is just a normal microswitch and actuator just under the glass channel.

Take the glass out.

Throw the game into switch edge test and what happens when you close and open the switch with your finger?

Does it stay closed in test when you hold it closed?

Are all of the wires still soldered on?

RM

#3 10 years ago

thing is it doesnt respond on switch test so i guess is open state meaning that mini playfield doesnt move, what i want is to track the connector of that cable's switch

#4 10 years ago

The much more likely issue is that there is something wrong with the switch.

Do all of the other switches register in switch test?

Are all of the wires still soldered to the correct lugs on the nonworking switch?

Have you tried just replacing that microswitch with a new one?

R<

#5 10 years ago

Since the switch is dumb, can't you just short it and be done with it? On my game, the switch is zip tied closed.

#6 10 years ago

Oh so short is closed correct? thats what i wanted to know then i can short it closed and done with it!!

thanks a lot guys.

Another question if the mini play field still dont move i need to check the motor i gues, then is there any controller for it that also needs to be checked? or something that usually fails?

rgrds

#7 10 years ago

Listen closely as you put the game in test. If you hear the motor moving, could be a broken gearbox. If you don't hear the motor, think electrical.

The playfield moves up and down via a 20 V DC motor. The motor receives power from a bi-directional driver board that flips the polarity to drive the motor CW/CCW.

Could be a simple connector issue, break in the wire or more serious.

Start at the motor and work backwards to the Bi-Directional board looking for a wire break. If this tests out good hook a DMM to the motor contacts and put the game in test....see if 20V is making it's way to the motor (motor could be shot).

Checking the gearbox requires pulling the MPF. Let us know what happens with these tests first.

faz

#8 10 years ago

If I remember correct coin door has to be closed as the mini playfield to move ,,, so trigger the coin door switches near door frame corner even in test mode

#9 10 years ago

feed 12v power to the motor spinning but dint move the play field, striped open the gearbox and found that one of the gears dual feed spinning freely, guess that's whats causing the problem motor, any replacements i can find? is that a common problem?

#10 10 years ago

This is a very difficult fix to make 'stick'. Some have tried JB weld with great success..others not so much. If you have access to actual welding equipment you can tack yourself.

Check out this thread.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pickup-dr-who-repair-thread/page/2#post-977817

A replacement gear box is usually the fix. Unfortunately, it's paired with the motor...$80.

faz

#11 10 years ago

THanks Faz

Epoxy glue will do the job i think, will keep u posted

rgrds

#12 10 years ago

You can try, but keep in mind....that gear takes a lot of torque.
faz

#13 10 years ago

yeh, I'll tell you first hand that epoxy and JB weld (despite the very large torque numbers present on the tube) both won't hold up. The only solution is to tack weld the gear to the collar.... or buy a whole motor/gearbox assembly for about $85 shipped at MAD Amusements.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

yeh, I'll tell you first hand that epoxy and JB weld (despite the very large torque numbers present on the tube) both won't hold up. The only solution is to tack weld the gear to the collar.... or buy a whole motor/gearbox assembly for about $85 shipped at MAD Amusements.

Agreed. My DW had JB weld on there from a previous owner. No go. Had it welded at a local shop for 2 bucks.

#15 10 years ago

There was also the fix that someone did to add a set screw to the collar. Tapped the collar flange and was able to save the gearbox. Given what I saw in your video, I don't think this works for you. It looks like the collar (on the bottom) is separated from the big gear.

I thought I would mention it just in case I saw incorrectly.
faz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-mini-playfield-glass-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.