• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20181018_084448234 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181018_073255693 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I have been having trouble with the mini playfield ever since I've picked this thing up.

Mini Playfield:

start a game
1. works when I lock two balls
2. Playfield goes up one level-I complete targets
3. Playfield rises to next level, targets come down, I hit all three-Complete
4. Playfield goes back down a level complete targets.
5. Then playfield just keeps going up and down up and down!!!

(I noticed that the left lock kicks like a ball is in there about every 30 seconds as the playfield goes bananas up and down, very odd)

I thought this was an opto issue with cam. I replaced and adjusted optos......no luck.

Where should I start now?

Thank you in advance for any help

#2 5 years ago

Run a full test... with a ball. All switches, solenoids and lamps.
Are any of the other optos on the game misbehaving? Flippers??

If everything is just jazzed on the MPF it's probably a connector, broken wire or bad component. You said you replaced the optos... which ones?

Check power on the driver board at all the test points is also a good second step.
faz

#3 5 years ago

pinball_faz

Thank you for the response.

In the mini playfield test here is what happens.

Mini playfield is always in the correct position throught the test. But when it goes from mid to top the left kicker fires. When the Playfield goes from top level all the way back down the left kicker fires again.
I also noticed that the flashers are always flashing on the mini playfield.

The only opto that is not registering is the one pointed out in the picture.

Thanks again for all of your help! It's much appreciated!

IMG_20181018_073255693 (resized).jpgIMG_20181018_073255693 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago

check the left lock switch, sounds like it's sticking. sounds like it's doing a ball search.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

I also noticed that the flashers are always flashing on the mini playfield.

Do you have a picture of the powerdriverboard connections, maybe there's something plugged.

#6 5 years ago

Left lock opto is 100% in test and also at beginning of game balls lock and shoot out when they are supposed to.

It's odd when playfield rise from middle posistion to top position the first time during a game it's fine. It's when it goes from middle position to top position the second time is where it goes bananas and left look kicks.

I'm going to look when I get home. Can a wire be getting pulled tugging on an opto? As playfield goes up and down?

#7 5 years ago

This is the only pic of driver I have right now. I'll get better one when I get home.

Thanks again
Scott

IMG_20181018_084448234 (resized).jpgIMG_20181018_084448234 (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

In the mini playfield test here is what happens.

By full test, I meant the whole game... all switches NOT just the MPF. IF you have a switch matrix problem or opto board problem it won't necessarily be exposed.

The opto you pointed to does not control the up/down. The opto at the bottom of the MPF is the one that reads the cutouts in the cam to stop vertical motion.

There's a little beam in the bottom of TEST14 that shows when the opto is being broken. Doubt it's registering.
faz

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

This is the only pic of driver I have right now. I'll get better one when I get home

No need to take another picture, All powerdriver connections look correct to me.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

By full test, I meant the whole game... all switches NOT just the MPF. IF you have a switch matrix problem or opto board problem it won't necessarily be exposed.
The opto you pointed to does not control the up/down. The opto at the bottom of the MPF is the one that reads the cutouts in the cam to stop vertical motion.
There's a little beam in the bottom of TEST14 that shows when the opto is being broken. Doubt it's registering.
faz

Test14- mini playfied test right?

The opto at the bottom that reads the cam? I replaced even though the old one was working. This opto is working. All points of the test the mini pf is working (showing where it is supposed to be). Again the left lock kicks when pf goes to top.

#11 5 years ago

I did check all switches. I will recheck again when I get home. No credit dot as well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-mini-playfield-1?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.