(Topic ID: 44740)

Dr Who Mini PF Grease

By Vengeance

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So I'm in the process of swapping out my old DW mini PF with the new one from CPR and I decided to clean up the entire mech for the mini PF.

I've cleaned off all the old gunky and crappy grease on the mini playfield.

Now outside of the machine using a 12v Transformer the mini playfield moves up and down without issue and without grease.

I was wondering if grease was necessary or not and if so what areas should I be greasing?

#2 11 years ago

I don't think it is supposed to be greased. But I can't find anything in the manual saying if it should or not.

#3 11 years ago

I used white lithium grease. The instructions from Bally do actually say the rollers are supposed to be greased, but I believe it says to use teflon grease. IMO, any place you have metal to metal contact like that should be greased. Some people will probably argue that in HUO setting it's not needed, but I'd rather clean up some gunk later on, than cleaning up metal shavings out of the cabinet or trying to source a replacement bracket.

#4 11 years ago

The DW mini playfield def should be greased. Frax is right about the white lithium grease. That mech is very prone to binding.

Usually I would vote to never use grease inside the machine, but this is one of a few exceptions.

-jon

#5 11 years ago

I figured as every DW pf mech I've ever seen has been greased but I wanted to check and see what others thought.

Thanks for the info.

#6 11 years ago

Lithium grease is very gummy. It will attract every bit of dirt and dust...then turn into a crusty blob.

Clean all that crap'e off and use a simple coat of silicone spray. Spray on, wipe excess off.
You only need this for metal-on-metal parts.

faz

#7 11 years ago

SuperLube grease with PTFE will not attract dust or form gummy deposits.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Lithium grease is very gummy. It will attract every bit of dirt and dust...then turn into a crusty blob.
Clean all that crap'e off and use a simple coat of silicone spray. Spray on, wipe excess off.
You only need this for metal-on-metal parts.
faz

Well, I won't have to worry about it, but I might give the new owners a heads up. It's new enough that it won't be gummy and hard as f----- to clean, unlike the crud I removed.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Well, I won't have to worry about it, but I might give the new owners a heads up. It's new enough that it won't be gummy and hard as f----- to clean, unlike the crud I removed.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. People seem to forget the crap they're fighting with is twenty some years old. Even the best grease out there is not intended to last that long.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

SuperLube grease with PTFE will not attract dust or form gummy deposits.

+1 This stuff works great, and stays where put. I did a test with it once, where I put a blob on the side of a piece of glass and it stayed there for 2 weeks without running until I wiped it off.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-mini-pf-grease and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.