(Topic ID: 120726)

Dr Who mini PF front edge repair, what to do here?

By Atomicboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dsuperbee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DrWho_MPF.jpg
20150308_203652_resized.jpg
20150308_203631_resized.jpg
20150308_203648_resized.jpg
20150308_203611_resized.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I have a second DW I'm working on, this will be my primary. The front edge of the PF has the top layer of the plywood missing in front of the four T nuts. I have both cliffys for this, top and front, but fear they will dent in these areas, and want to repair this for strength - what is the best material to use?

I worry the wood filler will break and chip apart underneath. Not sure about bondo, as I have never used this. Either way, I was going to fill over the t-nuts, scuff them up first for adhesion, but want to see what the general consensus is for this repair. It's all under the top flap cliff so I don't care what it looks like.

20150308_203611_resized.jpg20150308_203611_resized.jpg 20150308_203631_resized.jpg20150308_203631_resized.jpg 20150308_203648_resized.jpg20150308_203648_resized.jpg 20150308_203652_resized.jpg20150308_203652_resized.jpg
#2 9 years ago

New flap with Cliffy.... it won't matter.....right?

This cliffy: http://passionforpinball.com/Drwho/DrWhoTX1.jpg

faz

#3 9 years ago

Here is my typical steps for repair (before using a Cliffy)

Sand areas where I will be using wood putty to help with adhesion. Then use a rag and naphtha to clean up the area and remove the dust and possible wax. Then I use water thin super glue if the wood is REALLY beat or separating. After the glue has had time to dry, I lightly sand, then repeat the naphtha and rag. Then wood putty fitted to shape. After it has dried, sand smooth, and then touch up and spot clear. (Although I have done repairs for friends who didn't want the touch up done.)

Even with a Cliffy, the hyper thins WILL get bent to the shape of damage if it is not repaired. Cliffy mentions this on his site.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Even with a Cliffy, the hyper thins WILL get bent to the shape of damage if it is not repaired. Cliffy mentions this on his site.

I would not have anticipated that. Good tip!
faz

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Here is my typical steps for repair (before using a Cliffy)
Sand areas where I will be using wood putty to help with adhesion. Then use a rag and naphtha to clean up the area and remove the dust and possible wax. Then I use water thin super glue if the wood is REALLY beat or separating. After the glue has had time to dry, I lightly sand, then repeat the naphtha and rag. Then wood putty fitted to shape. After it has dried, sand smooth, and then touch up and spot clear. (Although I have done repairs for friends who didn't want the touch up done.)

Have you done it with this mini though? The wood filler I find it's strong, and for impacts it gives way eventually, much sooner than wood would wear. I worry using this that it will break up and be a crumbly mess under the flap. For this PF the ball whacks the edges and these issues dead on, and with the cliffys, there will still be a lot of hard hits right to the side of this repair, which with wood filler, I see not having the legs down the road.

That's why I wondered what else people have used.

Quoted from pinball_faz:

New flap with Cliffy.... it won't matter.....right?
This cliffy: http://passionforpinball.com/Drwho/DrWhoTX1.jpg
faz

That's the one for the main PF. There is a top flap, more of a hide something cliffy and a side one, the one that takes the impact. Both together add more protection.

#6 9 years ago

Wow! Sorry, yes. That's the main PF protector.

There is this one:
http://passionforpinball.com/Drwho/Russ-topflap2.jpg

faz

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Have you done it with this mini though? The wood filler I find it's strong, and for impacts it gives way eventually, much sooner than wood would wear. I worry using this that it will break up and be a crumbly mess under the flap. For this PF the ball whacks the edges and these issues dead on, and with the cliffys, there will still be a lot of hard hits right to the side of this repair, which with wood filler, I see not having the legs down the road.
That's why I wondered what else people have used.

That's the one for the main PF. There is a top flap, more of a hide something cliffy and a side one, the one that takes the impact. Both together add more protection.

I have not, I bought a repro as mine was pretty well thrashed. But I have repaired scoops in a buddy's AFM and MB that get the snot played out of them every year at PAGG as well as whomever borrows the games between shows, and as far as I know they havent' worn much since the repairs. (That were done several years ago, with the MB being about 8.)

#9 9 years ago

If you do go with a repro MPF, be advised there have been reports of the holes not lining up with some old units. You may need to modify the brackets to fit the new MPF or <bite nails> trim 1/8" off the front edge of the new MPF (while avoiding cracking the clear).

faz

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

If you do go with a repro MPF, be advised there have been reports of the holes not lining up with some old units. You may need to modify the brackets to fit the new MPF or <bite nails> trim 1/8" off the front edge of the new MPF (while avoiding cracking the clear).
faz

Just like with repro Pfs, make a good map of the holes, measure twice drill once. I did not cut any edges, just enlongated holes instead.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Wow! Sorry, yes. That's the main PF protector.
There is this one:
http://passionforpinball.com/Drwho/Russ-topflap2.jpg
faz

That's my DW.

WHOOO!

RussMyers

#12 9 years ago

The challenge is that the MPF comes pre-drilled with the T-Nuts installed.

Nothing to map. Here's an example from Fairground.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-hey-cpr-my-doctor-is-not-a-dud-oddball#post-1284664

faz

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

The challenge is that the MPF comes pre-drilled with the T-Nuts installed.
Nothing to map. Here's an example from Fairground.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-hey-cpr-my-doctor-is-not-a-dud-oddball#post-1284664
faz

You still need a map for the ball guides and such on the top. I did have T-nuts, but not dimples.

For the OP: The more I look at the front of your current PF, I would not use filler at all. Some water-thin super glue and clamps would be fine.

#14 9 years ago

Making a map is not difficult. As others have noted the CPR is notnandorrct swap. I had to cut slots in the mounting bracket to get it to sit in the main playfield correctly.

#15 9 years ago

When I got mine, some nitwit took some wood off the mini playfield to fitt a L-metal from the top.
I took it out and used the Cliffy protector from underneath as a mold to fill the gap with 2 component epoxy (used for polyester boat repairs).
Let it flow and fill all the gaps.
It still holds up very nice.
Though the Cliffy keeps on denting, but that is normal I think.
You might need to change the Cliffy after a few years.

Peter

DrWho_MPF.jpgDrWho_MPF.jpg

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Making a map is not difficult. As others have noted the CPR is notnandorrct swap. I had to cut slots in the mounting bracket to get it to sit in the main playfield correctly.

As did I, about 1/8", if that. Not terrible.

Quoted from Inkochnito:

It still holds up very nice.
Though the Cliffy keeps on denting, but that is normal I think.
You might need to change the Cliffy after a few years.
Peter

It is, and I believe Cliffy has mentioned this before.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I had to cut slots in the mounting bracket to get it to sit in the main playfield correctly.

What did you use to cut the slots in the mounting bracket?

#18 9 years ago

I'm not buying a repro. This can be repaired and hidden. I stay away from repro'd pf's unless I absolutely have to use one for a blown out/too far gone piece. The epoxy sounds like maybe the best idea actually. I made a ramp repair with some clear stuff on an old machine one, and man did that hold up. I got the feeling that I could bash the entire ramp with a hammer and all that would be left was the part that was epoxied.

I think I'll go that route. I may also shave off a 1/32 of the front edge as well to allow for the cliffy's, given some of the lower edge of these pf's are usually worn as well, so this will even that up.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I may also shave off a 1/32 of the front edge as well to allow for the cliffy's, given some of the lower edge of these pf's are usually worn as well, so this will even that up.

Don't have to do this. Just make the mounting bracket holes on the Time Expander elongated so you have room to slide the whole assembly back and forth. Put Cliffy's on both edges and then shift the Time Expander back a little to give yourself clearance.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Don't have to do this. Just make the mounting bracket holes on the Time Expander elongated so you have room to slide the whole assembly back and forth. Put Cliffy's on both edges and then shift the Time Expander back a little to give yourself clearance.

I know, the edge is worn a bit too, and somewhat tapers in near the bottom, so this will allow for some extra space for the cliffy, and allow the cliffy to sit at more of a 90 degree angle, and I won't have to elongate the holes. Solves a few issues at once. Also will give a smoother, cleaner edge, and remove the beat on there now.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

What did you use to cut the slots in the mounting bracket?

A Dremel and a side cutting bit. Wear safety glasses.

#22 9 years ago

I'm looking at many Dremel cutting bits on http://www.mytoolstore.com/dremel/drmindexacc.html#cutting. Can you help me find one that will do the job given the material the TE bracket is made from? Most items I see talk about suitability for wood, plastic and soft metals.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

I'm looking at many Dremel cutting bits on http://www.mytoolstore.com/dremel/drmindexacc.html#cutting. Can you help me find one that will do the job given the material the TE bracket is made from? Most items I see talk about suitability for wood, plastic and soft metals.

Roy,

I bought a cheap 20 dollar kit from Harbor Freight when I enlarged my holes. Think I used up 2-3 of the bits doing it, but it did get the job done. I used this kit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-pc-diamond-rotary-point-set-69665.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 40.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-mini-pf-front-edge-repair-what-to-do-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.