• Latest reply 10 years ago by Tomcat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11DoctorsRecom.jpg
#1 10 years ago

What is the wizard mode on Dr who? Is there an objective to finishing the game?

#2 10 years ago

Waive 3 Davros. Waive 4 video mode. Not really wizzard modes, but if you complete either of those you are really smoking that game.

Doctor Who is more of a scoring game than anything else. Maximize your score; there are several different stratigies to do that, but I wouldn't call it deep at all. A very fun game though nevertheless; plus it is a game that someone who is not a seasoned pinball player can look at and understand in two minutes . . . which is a big plus.

#3 10 years ago

game not deep at all, but is quite fun.

sold mine a few years ago.

#4 10 years ago

Yep agreed not deep, also agree it's a great game. One of the ones I've sold that I truly miss. Really loved the music/sound/screaming Daleks

#5 10 years ago

Not deep, fun though

#6 10 years ago

I really wish they would do a new Doctor Who game; that would be awesome for a new game featuring the new docs.

11DoctorsRecom.jpg11DoctorsRecom.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Sign me up for a new Dr. Who! I'd be all over that.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I really wish they would do a new Doctor Who game; that would be awesome for a new game featuring the new docs.

I second this!

#9 10 years ago

It's as complex as a game gets.

-jon

2 months later
#10 10 years ago

Why does everyone here say its not deep but go on the ratings and people say its a deep game. Am I missing something?

#11 10 years ago

This has me thinking about what 'deep ruleset' means to people. In the sense that there are seven different ways to start the game regarding scoring modes and a myriad of ways to go from there perhaps it is a 'wide' ruleset. Whatever the case, it is fun and shooting Daleks doesn't seem that it will ever get old.

#12 10 years ago

When you compare it to games of it's time...I think it's pretty 'deep.' Compared to modern Sterns...no way. When I hear deep I think...'how hard it is to get to the Wizard Mode.' Doctor Who doesn't have a Wizard Mode...but there's a lot of stuff to do. It's almost like have 3 games in one

For maximum score...

Start with Doctor 6 and peg the multiplier ramp. If you can't consistently hit the right upper ramp don't even bother going in this direction. Then hit the W H O ramps for the Sonic Booms and 40 million per. While hitting the same 3 shots over and over again seems boring. For some reason I really enjoy it..this is pretty much the way I go after the game now.

Maximum fun:
The Pinbot like Time Expander is the way to go. You might wanna start with Doctor 7 if you go this way. Lock the balls...release them by bashing the Time Expander (kinda like Pinbot). This is were the crazy call outs come in from the Jackpots and Super Jackpots. At first I hated them..as the are pretty obnoxious. Now I look forward to hearing them

Changing it up:
Start with Doctor 5 and go after the video modes. This is my least favorite way...and haven't attempted this yet as I'm not a huge video mode fan.

Most people who don't own one...or have very little time on one...will attempt to lock the balls and get an accidental video mode or 2. This is the obvious way to play the game... but not the prefer way for maximum scoring. Sonic Booms are where it's at. All 3 ramps return directly to a flipper...don't miss a ramp and you can play forever =). With that being said...the couple times I've hit 3 billion on the game...the game probably lasted less than 10 minutes.

I never gave this game any consideration because I've never seen an episode of Doctor Who..and quite frankly the artwork is blah. I happen to trip across one a few years ago and bought it...right now it's top 3 on the favorites list.

Quoted from dannunz:

Why does everyone here say its not deep but go on the ratings and people say its a deep game. Am I missing something?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

Sign me up for a new Dr. Who! I'd be all over that.

A new Dr. Who game would be about the only theme I would without second thought put money down on a NIB sight unseen.

#14 10 years ago

Would Dr who fit into my collection well?

#15 10 years ago

Oh yeah, I'm in for a new DW game! Stern? JJP? Anyone listening?

#16 10 years ago

It'll be BSD's little sister...and the opposite of TSPP and LOTR. You have 2 of the 'deepest'..longest ball time games made. IMHO DW falls into the 'shortest ball time' category (talking DMD stuff here).

The closest game you have to DW is BSD...BSD it kinda a one trick pony. Stack the 3 MBs and get your points. There's actually more stuff to do with DW..which doesn't necessarily make it a 'better' game.

I still give the edge to DW though over BSD. Although I am enjoying the hell out of BSD

To answer your question...I think DW will compliant your other pins perfectly. Probably more so than adding lets say Spiderman...another marathon type game.

Quoted from dannunz:

#17 10 years ago

Funny I had sm and traded it for sttng. BSD is in the top 2 game of my collection. I herd DW is very nice with led as well. My BSD is all led up and I love it.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Play it and find out. Nobody can decide if a game will fit your collection except YOU!

#19 10 years ago

I did play a very nice one at the York show last year and liked it.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I did play a very nice one at the York show last year and liked it.

Then I would say it would fit your collection perfectly

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Most likely because it probably has deep aspects to it, but you can basically ignore them and just Sonic Boom all day long...that's where the points are. That's the issue with it, it isn't balanced very well. IF it had a Wizard mode that "forced" you to do other things that would even it out more, but it doesn't.

#22 10 years ago

the guys that say it's deep are EM guys and don't know what a deep game is.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Most likely because it probably has deep aspects to it, but you can basically ignore them and just Sonic Boom all day long...that's where the points are. That's the issue with it, it isn't balanced very well. IF it had a Wizard mode that "forced" you to do other things that would even it out more, but it doesn't.

It will....

#24 10 years ago

Also, it's "Doctor."

#25 10 years ago

Dr. Who is all about strategy. Especially if you're playing a multi-player game. Unlike BSD, with Dr. Who there are multiple ways to score big points. I really like a game where you can score just as much without multi-ball as with.

#26 10 years ago

"Deep" is an overrated concept in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with a game being deep, but fun is my first criterea. I can play Taxi all day long. It's not deep, but it's fun as hell. Dr. Who is kind of medium depth but FUN.

#27 10 years ago

Just checked, it is about 22 inches deep sloping down to around 16.

#28 10 years ago

Check out Bowen's rule sheet, that should give you a good feel for it: http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/738/drwho.htm

#29 10 years ago

Most has been said already.
I think it 'deep' as far as choices and strategies go. And I often change strategy after I've made my first decision (but that's probably not a good thing to do, though it's still fun).
One of my favorite games.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

A new Dr. Who game would be about the only theme I would without second thought put money down on a NIB sight unseen.

Aawwww... The Big Lebowski, Iron Maiden, New Doctor Who.... you're bleeding me dry... *moan*

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-how-deep-is-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.