6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2634783D-7467-4340-866D-D1169B98F828_zpsyvcjq4zn (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I originally posted this in the Dr. Who owners club thread, and was directed here...

Okay, I've got a Dr. Who that has been sitting in the basement for a couple of years. Decided yesterday to turn it on and see what happened... Got the "factory settings restored", which I expected, as the batteries haven't been touched. Also, as I was going through the tests, the machine would keep resetting. I'm guessing something is taking down the 5v, but as I was doing a quick check on stuff, there was a sudden sparking over by the audio board/fliptronics board area. Quickly turned it off, and investigated to find this on the audio board:
C26 is exploderated! Any ideas what I should be checking out next?
-Brian, off to find the correct schematics for the audio board.

2634783D-7467-4340-866D-D1169B98F828_zpsyvcjq4zn (resized).jpg2634783D-7467-4340-866D-D1169B98F828_zpsyvcjq4zn (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

C26 is a tantalum capacitor. They just have a habit of exploding after long periods of no use.

#3 6 years ago

It appears to be... Doesn't look like an electrolytic or poly. Should I just replace it and continue with my reset troubleshooting then? Should I stay with tantalum or switch to something else?
-Brian

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

It appears to be... Doesn't look like an electrolytic or poly. Should I just replace it and continue with my reset troubleshooting then? Should I stay with tantalum or switch to something else?
-Brian

Replace with another tantalum and continue troubleshooting. It's more than likely that the cap just failed.

#5 6 years ago

Exactly the same thing happened on my two CFTBL machines after I have pulled them out of storage after a few (7) years hibernation. I have replaced the caps and everything was fine.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Replace with another tantalum and continue troubleshooting. It's more than likely that the cap just failed.

True. It is worth changing the other same value tantalum caps as well.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

C26 is a tantalum capacitor. They just have a habit of exploding after long periods of no use.

Good to know.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks everyone,
I'll replace those caps and continue with my reset issues.

- Brian

#9 6 years ago

Tantalum does not ripple or being close to the voltage rating, surges... Or they explode... violently.

Use a higher voltage rating tantalum. Electro is also probably acceptable. I would increase the uF slightly and voltage rating for electro cap.

#10 6 years ago

New tantalum caps arrived today. I'll replace them later this week and then continue with troubleshooting the 5V. Thanks!

-Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-audio-board-cap-exploded?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.