• Latest reply 12 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0326121753.jpg
#1 12 years ago

So.... I've been thinking a about adding a DW to the pinball lineup as of late.

I was kinda hesitant for a while since playing the one at the Chicagoland show some years back.
Absolutely destroyed that machine (score-wise) and left satisfied. Not really think about adding the machine to the pin queue...

After playing numerous times at Expo and playing that beautiful example at MGC (damn you, whom bought that! ) it has repeaked my interest!

Question to owners... how does it holdup? Do you find yourself playing it routinely? I hate to add this
to the lineup and have the same 'feeling' I did at the Chicagoland show. Especially since I have other pins on my *want* list. Since some of these are titles on my list are not the easiest find, I thought I would bump something else on my list!

I should also state that I love the Dr. Who series - especially the 'Tom Baker" years!

#2 12 years ago

Do you have a line on one, or are you just thinking out loud?

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I should also state that I love the Dr. Who series - especially the 'Tom Baker" years!

Yes. You should absolutely add it to the lineup. I play it constantly and it is always a challenge. I would be interested to hear your high score that satiated you, because I find it to be one of my more difficult machines.

Who doesn't love the Tom Baker years?

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Yes. You should absolutely add it to the lineup.

+1

Dr Who is easily in my top 10 games ive ever played and the game i go to most at home. Just the perfect amount of fun shots,difficulty and great game rules.

Also love the features like being the who loop champion etc

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

I would be interested to hear your high score that satiated you

+1 to that, i have to work my but off to get high scores

#6 12 years ago

Yeah what is a high score out there??? Im at 780million for high score and a 42 loop champion

#7 12 years ago

A good DW score is over 2B IMO. You should be able to beat 780 million by just getting the bonus multipier up and nabbing a few Daleks. Throw a video mode or two on top of that and you'll pass 1B in no time. Once you get to Davros jackpots the game gets much more difficult and big points become harder to achieve. I usually just try to complete sonic booms or video modes at that point and see how far I can go but a 4X Davros jackpot is worth 400M, a second 800M and each additional 1.2B IIRC. I've personally never collected a third wave Davros jackpot and I don't think I'd ever bother trying.

#8 12 years ago

I got this game in a lot of 3 games I bought about a year ago as the "throw in". Can't get rid of it now and always find myself coming back to it and that is with 10 other games around it. I honestly don't think I'd ever get rid of it, just a cool game!

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from jay:

A good DW score is over 2B IMO. You should be able to beat 780 million by just getting the bonus multipier up and nabbing a few Daleks. Throw a video mode or two on top of that and you'll pass 1B in no time. Once you get to Davros jackpots the game gets much more difficult and big points become harder to achieve. I usually just try to complete sonic booms or video modes at that point and see how far I can go but a 4X Davros jackpot is worth 400M, a second 800M and each additional 1.2B IIRC. I've personally never collected a third wave Davros jackpot and I don't think I'd ever bother trying.

Wow 2 billion..ive got work to do! I do see the potential in a bigger score than my 780 mill as i got this without shooting the time expander as it can be a SDTM monster.I hope to raise the expander by accident off the missed shots on the who circuits

#10 12 years ago

I suppose my 1.2B is pretty weak. Well, it's good for me anyway.

#11 12 years ago

Dr. Who is the bomb!

Awesome machine, loud in your face sounds and music, super fast play, a nice mix from mode based WPCs, likely the best "toy" ever in the Time Expander, video modes that are fun, kick ass new mod for the dalek topper - just a wicked machine.

#12 12 years ago

I love DW. Gets played all the time, even next to FT, Tron LE, and IJ. Mine's been freshly waxed and plays so fast it's like a new game.

yeah, 1.2Bil is average. I mean, that's only like 2 or 3 good multiplied Jackpots, not to mention loop and doctor points.

#13 12 years ago

Man, how do you guys get so much. Ever since I completely shopped mine, my highest is juuuuust under 2B, but most games around 400-800M. It is such a quick drainer. I keep the multiplier up as much as I can, but I think the timer has changed due to high scores going up, so I may need to change that.

#14 12 years ago

I could probably increase my score by lowering the pitch on mine. I have it at 7.5 degrees, I'm sure that effects my scores.

#15 12 years ago

Question, what episodes actually involve Davros and the daleks? I started watching the TV series and need some direction.

#16 12 years ago

I am a real looser, my normal scores are 100-500m and high is 1b.

Dang I have to start practicing more!

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Question, what episodes actually involve Davros and the daleks? I started watching the TV series and need some direction.

Are you kidding? There are only 40+ years of this show, longest running TV show of all time I believe - sci fi at least.

#18 12 years ago

1.6B and 59 loops.

DW is the one pin I won't get rid of unless it's to buy a better one.

Lastability is better than any machine I've ever owned, including TZ (which I am now tired of) and AFM (which I am growing tired of).

#19 12 years ago

Scores on DW depend a lot on how it's set up as well. If loops are hard to repeat it's going to be a lot harder to bag a big score and repeatable loops depend a lot on how strong the upper flipper is and how consistently the ball feeds it. I rebuilt the flippers on mine shortly after I got it and wound up putting the old coil back on the upper because it was so strong the ball was flying into the plastic protector to prevent air balls, rattling around and falling back out the way it came. My personal best for loops is in the 80s on my second of two DW plays at Cal Extreme. On my own DW it's in the 70s with hundreds of games played. I just can't loop as consistently on mine since the ball tends to drop with less precision—sometimes further from the flipper and sometimes faster/slower the normal.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

and AFM (which I am growing tired of).

lmk how many pms that comment generates.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Please correct me if I am wrong, this is from memory:

Premise of the show is that the Time Lord race (The Doctor) was in a huge war with the Daleks. Davros created the Daleks and is the leader. The Doctor won the war with the Daleks by closing the time vortex on both the Time Lords and the Daleks and supposedly killed all Time Lords and Daleks. The Doctor is not the only Time lords to have escaped and some Daleks did as well. Davros was also somehow able to escape the closure and is constantly trying to rebuild the Daleks and is recurring throughout every season of the television show.

#22 12 years ago

I just got one 2 days ago so far im liking it alot

#23 12 years ago

From my recollection.... my score was around a billion and a half - which seems 'normal' from some other scores posted here. I was conversing w/ the seller at the time; he was giving me grief all kidding)on how I knocked his name down from the top spot also the loop champion - which I think I had around the sixties?

Question.... My above score I did not use the doctor strategies to their own perks. I just always choose the 7th one and go from there... Can someone give me a Cliff's Note's version on this?

One last thing... anyone selling one around the midwest in good condition cosmetically (sans the faded sideart)? I AM going to MGC this year if that's more benefiicial....I'm licking my chops on this title lately!

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Do you have a line on one, or are you just thinking out loud?

Nope and yes!

#25 12 years ago

Dr. 1 spots an extra escape letter for each target hit so 3 hits to any unlit target light video mode.
Dr. 6 spots an extra bonus multiplier per loop. So 3 loops gain a full 4x instead of 6.
Dr. 7 spots a time expander light for any hit instead of requiring the correct row be hit.

Those are the most important ones, the following are pretty much take what you get in my experience. I would tend to try and get Dr 3 here first but YMMV.

Dr. 2 adds more time for Hang On (H shot in W-H-O).
Dr. 3 adds more time for W-H-O combo shots.
Dr. 4 spots an extra repair letter for Unlimited Millions.
Dr. 5 increases how fast you build the Transmat (via the pops) to add a doctor by hitting the target just south of the O ramp.

#26 12 years ago

Just played this last night for the first time, and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Is it just me, or does the Doctor remind anyone else of a featured-up Pin*Bot??

Later,
EV

#27 12 years ago

Yes, same designers. It is part of the reason that the DW has so much staying power.

Quoted from EchoVictor:

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

yep, that's definitely what's going on. I'm a big Barry Oursler fan. I have yet to play this machine but i am dying to.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davros

This link explains Davros pretty well. I remember seeing this episode...100 years ago

BTW- Love DR Who... play it daily.

#30 12 years ago

Hmm... Looks like my history was a little off. 1975 was not the first season.

1 month later
#31 12 years ago

WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! I just thrashed my old DW GC score! The funny thing is, I was just screwing around on the first ball because I wanted to show my kids the wobble head kit that I just installed so I was just trying to get to multiball as fast as possible without jacking up the playfield multiplier or anything. The second ball was epic. I'm a little mad that I just barely missed 3B. I got nervous and screwed up a video mode wave and then promptly drained. Oh well, more incentive to beat this new GC score!

Oh, my DW has the outlanes on the middle setting and awards EB's for replays and specials. I got the replay score (obviously) and special, plus an EB each for doing WHO loops and video mode for a total of 7 balls. Still no Davros jackpots though.

0326121753.jpg0326121753.jpg

#32 12 years ago

I just played a really nice one over the weekend at my tech's house. He demolished me in two player but I really enjoyed it. Might be looking to add one at some point.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

especially the 'Tom Baker" years!

Quoted from donjagra:

Who doesn't love the Tom Baker years?

Amen! and my Top Ten! (11)

1. Genesis Of The Daleks
2. Talons Of Weng-Chiang
3. Ark In Space
4. Pyramids of Mars
5. The Pirate Planet
Masque of Mandragora (tie)
6. Terror Of The Zygons
7. Robots Of Death
8. Keeper Of Traken
9. City Of Death
10.Brain Of Morbius

#34 12 years ago

Wow, that is a heck of a score.

#35 12 years ago

I think it is a great game. I am looking for one myself. Going to pick one up as soon as I find a decent one not tooooo far from me.

#36 12 years ago

I liked the Pin myself,, It's the Dalek Sound's that got on my Nerves ,,,,,,, Man Alive !!

Even at Lost Ark Arcade , If someone is play-n DW, You Will Know it..

I sold DW to the Banker, He sold it to ChadH , Chad sold it to someone on the other Forum !!

No Love ......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 110.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.