Dr_Dude_Leds.JPG
image.jpg
1026103_10201709476121602_446481043_o..jpg
0002639_300.jpg
spinnermanual.png
mix.jpg
dudespinner.jpg
dudewear.jpg
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

Quick question: if I'm removing the legs of a pinball and leave resting on something for several days, is it important to rest it on something wide enough to span the cabinet bottom edges? Or is the bottom panel alone strong enough to support the weight of a pinball for a good length of time?

#52 10 years ago

I would not. I have seen pin with the bottoms broken,I believe from that. Over time I think the bottom will at least warp a little. Not a great idea.

#53 10 years ago

Good to know! Seeing a lot of photos of people working on pins raised on lifts that only rest on the bottom panel I thought they might be perfectly fine.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Good to know! Seeing a lot of photos of people working on pins raised on lifts that only rest on the bottom panel I thought they might be perfectly fine.

Yes but those lifts are square on the bottom. They go all the way around the bottom panel. If you support it like that you should be OK. I just would not support it in the middle of the bottom.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Quick question: if I'm removing the legs of a pinball and leave resting on something for several days, is it important to rest it on something wide enough to span the cabinet bottom edges? Or is the bottom panel alone strong enough to support the weight of a pinball for a good length of time?

Go down to Bunnings and buy 2x cheap saw horses. Absolutely ideal for sitting a pin on top of.

A lot of people use them to help getting a pin in and out of a van/wagon too. Rest the pin on the saw horse when you remove the legs then swing it around. Easy peasy.

rd

#57 10 years ago

Yeah I've got a couple of saw horses which I got for this purpose, they work great!

My pins are fairly close together though and the saw horses stick out and block me from getting in between them if I need to. So I was wondering if I were to place the saw horses under the pin, diagonally to spread the weight across the bottom panel but having none of it stick out the sides, whether that would be bad for any length of time since none of the weight is on the edges — not unlike what I see the pinball lifts doing.

#58 10 years ago

Honestly, I wouldn't think so.

Unless the underside was damaged.

The MDF board base is rebated into the sides. Should be sweet as.

rd.

6 months later
#59 10 years ago

Sadly I ended up not really documenting any of this process. But here's a photo of the finished job:

474.jpg474.jpg

I touched up the playfield wear around the bumpers, magnet and ball drop points, and mylared over them. I rebuilt the flippers and replaced a bunch of targets — it plays really well, I love this game.

I glued the broken mixmaster housing and stripped and painted it. Instead of buying the decals from eBay I found glitter paper and made my own. I like that the original used real glitter which catches the light like only real glitter can, and the glitter paper I used does this. I'm happy with that!

I'd like to make some replacement plastics at some point. One is cracked and a few have missing corners, and the mixmaster cover has yellowed and is very scuffed.

One change I made was repositioning the Heart of Rock 'n' Roll target to the angle that the hole is cut at, and that the manual graphics portray it. Now it directs the ball towards the drop targets, or caroms at the REFLEX targets. It is a narrower target to hit, so it's more challenging.

Next stop: restoring the cabinet. Very minor artwork touch ups required, just a clean is needed. Some minor damage needs to be repaired. The three big things to deal with are:

• The coin door is dented inward and the edges are bowing away from the cabinet. I'll try to panelbeat it back into shape.

• The legs are rather rusted. I'll strip them and polish them up. If they don't come up very nice I'll attempt to spray paint them in a gradient/fade from the cabinet orange and yellow.

• The speaker box at the top has rusted and a previous owner crudely painted over the rust and smeared the chrome trim. The Bally logo has perished as well. I plan to replace the chrome trim, use black speaker cloth to cover the whole panel and CNC cut a new chrome Bally logo to go on top — it's a speaker box after all, why not make it look like a high-end speaker/amplifier!

#61 10 years ago

Here are a few more photos. I designed some cool apron cards as well modelled of the existing artwork and intended to look like they're being spoken by Dr Dude and the Nurse on the apron.

606.jpg606.jpg609.jpg609.jpg610.jpg610.jpg611.jpg611.jpg591.jpg591.jpg590.jpg590.jpg

#62 10 years ago

DrDudeApron_Preview-267.jpgDrDudeApron_Preview-267.jpg

Anyone who wants these apron cards can grab the PDFs attached

EDIT: Seems like attaching PDFs isn't working. Download them here:

A4: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6035757/Dr%20Dude%20Apron%20Cards%20A4.pdf
US Letter: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6035757/Dr%20Dude%20Apron%20Cards%20USLetter.pdf

#63 10 years ago

Those are cool!

#64 10 years ago

Thanks! I think they fit in pretty well.

#65 10 years ago

Looking good Josh especially the mixmaster and glitter repairs, and cool cards too, reminds me that I need to get into my FT restore soon.

#66 10 years ago

Looks good champ. Came up good!

Great game.

rd.

#67 10 years ago

I noticed in a lot of your pictures random pop bumper lights are out. Were you having an issue with keeping those lit? Because I have that issue with my machine. The top left light will blow out quickly.

#68 10 years ago

Thanks for the apron cards. I never got around to making any for mine, but these look good.

Dr. Dude's a great game. Hopefully someday we'll get some repro plastics. Besides the rough plastics mine's playing well, except I never got the three jet bumper value lights working on the right orbit. No idea why. Heh.

#69 10 years ago

In case any of you have ever wondered how to make the mixmaster as shiny as original, I can tell you how, it does not involve any kind of spray paints at all. The original plastic was "vaccum-metalized" You simply can't achieve this level of shininess with a paint. I had to have mine sent off to a company in CA that does this for toys and small parts. All plastic/chrome in most pinball toys was made this way.

#70 10 years ago

I had to contact Dennis Nordman to find this out myself, and I find it kind of important to keep my mixmaster shiny since its labeled: "that big shiny thing over there"

#71 10 years ago

Dr. Dude, value at about $1,300 - $1,800ish. Last year at the Atlanta Pin Swap, someone sold a Dr. Dude for $2,200! It did have orange powder coated legs and side rails and a homemade custom topper.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Thanks for the apron cards. I never got around to making any for mine, but these look good.
Dr. Dude's a great game. Hopefully someday we'll get some repro plastics. Besides the rough plastics mine's playing well, except I never got the three jet bumper value lights working on the right orbit. No idea why. Heh.

dennis nordman told me planetary pinball owns all the rights to DR DUDE may have to ask them to make us some dang plastics.

#73 10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

Quoted from Partyclown:

I noticed in a lot of your pictures random pop bumper lights are out. Were you having an issue with keeping those lit? Because I have that issue with my machine. The top left light will blow out quickly.

When I got it the lamp in the top bumper was out, and because it is tucked under the ramp I guess that is why the previous owner never bothered to replace it. When I was shopping it out I rebuilt the bumpers and damaged the lamp socket board in the bottom bumper and haven't yet replaced it.

#74 10 years ago

I love this game. There's nothing like shopping out a game and having it feel like a new game playing perfectly.

I'm easily beating my high scores from before I shopped it out. My best so far is 30.5 million.

The jackpot/super dude/high score music on this game is THE BEST!

#75 10 years ago

It is a awesome game. RIP to my dr dude as yesterday it developed a switch matrix issue. Now I have 1 working pin that is covered in parts of the bttf. Lol

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I love this game. There's nothing like shopping out a game and having it feel like a new game playing perfectly.I'm easily beating my high scores from before I shopped it out. My best so far is 30.5 million.The jackpot/super dude/high score music on this game is THE BEST!

Welcome to System 11 euphoria.

rd.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Welcome to System 11 euphoria.
rd.

If you want another sweet Sys11 you should do a deal on Marks Radical.

Whooop whooop another Sys11 winner.

rd.

#78 10 years ago

If I had any money I'd have bought that Paragon on Friday!

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

If I had any money I'd have bought that Paragon on Friday!

Whooooops dunno who got that one

rd.

#80 10 years ago

You got it for a great price. I'm hoping for a deal like that on an early SS later in the year when I've got a bit more in the pinball fund.

#81 10 years ago

Well, let's see how good it is first. Looks good in the pictures, but the pics were pretty crappy. Might be rooted!

The dude hasn't got back to me re pickup yet.

rd.

#82 10 years ago

It seemed like a pretty good gamble to me. The playfield is a lot less worn than most pics of Paragon I've seen. From what you could tell in the pics at least. The black zipper flipper is cool too. You'd just need someone to re-stencil the cab and it'd be real nice. Let me know how it turns out when you get your hands on it!

#83 10 years ago

Got an email from him today ... Will drive to Rotorua in the next few days and pick her up

rd.

1 year later
#84 8 years ago

I did´nt know Sys11C´s are that kind of respected.
Here is my story:

Back in August 2014 I discovered an old vendor who never sold or scrapped any of his machines (the NIB-Hurricane that was for sale here is from there too).
I am an videogame-collector but always wanted to start with pinballs as well. In Austria gambling is forbidden now, which was one of his businesses too but he cant stop vending gambling-machines. They catched his ass and he had to pay a big penalty and so he sold some pinballs cheap.
I have bought an

Dr. Dude and a
Radical

for a very fair price and wanted to resell them but now I decided to keep and restore them both

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

Boards
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-dude-shop-job/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.