Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fixed (resized).jpg
terminal (resized).jpg
Resized_20200227_211533 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20200227_201627 (resized).jpeg
drdude (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

my issue has progressively got worse. See the image, none of the playfield lights - except GI are working. Some of the interactivelights, like the mixmaster, will turn on when they are supposed to but everything below the playfield is off when it should be lit like a christmass tree once the machine starts up and during the game.

When it first started happening, roughly one out of 10 times i started the machine, they would not work. I discovered that if i left the game on and alone for about a half hour, they would just start working. Now, 100% of the time they are out and leaving the machine on makes no difference.

I'm replacing 1 bad connector on the interconnect board for the backboard GIs thats burnt, but thats the only visible issue i can find and not related.
Any advice? I did the quick transistor check and they all tested ok.

drdude (resized).jpgdrdude (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Start with the power supply and verify correct voltages there. Then move along the power chain for the controlled lamps until you end up at the MPU. Make sure to check fuses with a multimeter and not just your eyes. Also check to see if there is any alkaline damage from leaking batteries on your MPU.

#3 4 years ago

You can check for voltage at the insert lighting connectors leading from the mpu board to the playfield. If you have voltage there, then your issue is between the board and the playfield.... pinched wire, broken wire, bad connection somewhere. Update with whatever you find.

#4 4 years ago

Thank you Xenon75 and vintageclub.

couple updates.
- the easy issue i had i fixed - this was the GI lights for the backboard. I replaced a terminal on the interconnect circuit board.

- the issue with the playfield lights still exists but here is what i did: I took out the MPU board, the battery holder had some corrosion so i removed it and added a remote battery holder. But i dont think there is much damage from it. just some surface corrosion on some near by diodes, resistors and one chips terminals. See the pics.
- I checked continuity with all the fuses and they are all good.
- I tried to check for voltage to the playfield lights, there is none. Also, all of the interactive playfield lights are out - so there has to be a common point of failure.

Only other observation i have is that sometimes when it starts, i get 5 beeps. which indicates an error. Usually when i starts, i get 1 beep, which indicates system is OK.

For tracing the power chain - can you give me some dumbed down steps?
Thank you!

Resized_20200227_201627 (resized).jpegResized_20200227_201627 (resized).jpegResized_20200227_211533 (resized).jpegResized_20200227_211533 (resized).jpeg
#5 4 years ago

I would still suspect the 8amp fuse first if you have no power at the lamp socket. Upstream from that is the bridge rectifier. Pop in a new fuse and see if the lamps return.

#6 4 years ago

thank you all! FIXED

the fuses were fine, but the voltage to the 8amp fuse was very low. i started poking around and found the wire to be burnt at the terminal connecting to the fuse.

With so much damage from too much current - is switching over to LED the fix?

fixed (resized).jpgfixed (resized).jpgterminal (resized).jpgterminal (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from superdude3:

With so much damage from too much current - is switching over to LED the fix?

Yes.

1 year later
#8 2 years ago

I have a weird one. My dude o meter lights work great when testing the lights. However during gameplay they are very very dimly lit. I checked my connection at the light driver board and it looks good. Any suggestions? Thank you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-dude-playfield-lights-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.