(Topic ID: 50916)

Dr. Dude needs a doctor! Right playfield lights out.

By renobanjoman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN2158.JPG
DSCN2159.JPG
DSCN2121.JPG
DSCN2146.JPG
new_connector.JPG
right_side_lights_out.JPG

#1 10 years ago

I recently bought a Dr Dude. I was having the left side of the PF not lighting up and one of the three top bumpers not lighting up. The board had been hacked at some point before I bought it and had some burned areas. I changed a bad fuse and it fixed the left side but then the right side went out and then top bumper that was on went out and the other two came on. Then strangely it would come off and on during game play. Then finally it went out completely. After screwing around with it for a week I finally decided to just buy a new interconnect board. So I installed the new board hoping it would cure all my problems...nope! The right side is still out as well as the top two bumpers!! The fuse on the board are brand new. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? (besides me not knowing what the hell I am doing? lol!) Check out the pics below if it will help.

#2 10 years ago

here's a pic of the playfield

right_side_lights_out.JPGright_side_lights_out.JPG

#3 10 years ago

one of the connectors

new_connector.JPGnew_connector.JPG DSCN2146.JPGDSCN2146.JPG

#4 10 years ago

the old board

DSCN2121.JPGDSCN2121.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Also I can remove Fuse 2 and it doesn't seem to affect anything. Nothing else goes out.

#6 10 years ago

Since you replaced the interconnect board, to me the most likely culprit is the wiring (which appears to have been modified). Using a volt meter set to AC, you will want to confirm that there is no voltage on the GI lamps that are out. Do this by measuring across one of the bulbs (i.e. red lead on one side, black lead on the other). The supply to the GI circuit on the PF is fed through J9 on the interconnect board. Verify that you have voltage on the connector by disconnecting the plug from the board and measuring across the pin pairs 1 & 5, and 6 & 7 of J9. My guess is that you will find voltage there. This means it's likely in the wiring or most probably in the plug (P9) that connects to the interconnect board.

Good luck... you'll get it

Jeff

#7 10 years ago

Jeff's right, I had a Party Zone where the GI Connector and Board was burnt. Very common. The prior owner had "hacked" the wires.
Look at the schematic. Take time to learn the color of the wires and where they should go on the board. Learning the colors of the wires will help you with future repairs. Buying that new board was a good start now you have to get the connectors wired correctly.
I wish I had pictures of what I did with my Party Zone. I used small copper alligator clips from Radio Shack and crimped them on the wires. Then (with the machine unplugged!), I clipped the right wire to the right pin on the board. I used electrical tape to insulate the clips from one another so they wouldn't short. Then I turned the machine on and verified I had the right wires on the right pins. Then you can rebuild your connectors.
Check your GI wires underneath the playfield too. I had a loose wire that would disconnect when the playfield was down and reconnect with the playfield up!
I hope this helps you. Keep posting and ask for help. The guys on this forum are great.

#8 10 years ago

Had the same type of symptoms and problem on my SS, I reflowed the solder on all the cable connection pins on the light board itself (board where the light sockets screw in) and it fixed everything. Turned out one of the tiny pins had a micro crack at the base of where the pin attached to the board, but was hard to see. So for me the problem was where the wire socket connects at the board, not the wiring itself. Good luck with the repair.

#9 10 years ago

Hey thanks guys! I found the problem! This little guy under the play field. Now the question is...what is it and can I buy a new one?

DSCN2159.JPGDSCN2159.JPG DSCN2158.JPGDSCN2158.JPG

#10 10 years ago

That is a relay board. Actually could just solder a wire to the three places so you wouldn't have to buy a new board. I think I recall seeing the relay board for $22.

Good find. The GI runs through it to turn off/on the GI lights during different times of the game.
Hopefully the relay is ok. Worth a shot just adding the wire, which I generally call a free fix.

#12 10 years ago

That is it. Try the wire first though. Save that $25 for a set of rubbers for another machine.

#13 10 years ago

Still check to see if your GI wires are correct going to the board in the back box.
If someone spliced wires to bypass a burnt GI, that may have doubled up on the voltage and burnt that Relay trace.

#14 10 years ago

good idea! I'll double check it. That could why it did it! Thanks a bunch guys!

#15 10 years ago

Also, just for sanity, check the connectors on the big transformer at the bottom of the cabinet. Look at the yellow GI wires and the connectors. See if they look burnt. BTW-that's a fun pinball.

#16 10 years ago

Actually one of them was already bypassed because the connector was burnt! You know your stuff! Thanks! Dr. Dude is my first pin. I really like it. I am looking for a Tales For The Crypt next!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-dude-needs-a-doctor-right-playfield-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.